Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our DoF 23:14 - Jan 12 with 8707 viewsHunterhoop

He said when he started that he wanted us to become a club that gave youth players a path through to the first team.

Ryan Manning was his first signing.

Since he's been DoF the following have come through from the youth teams and made their debuts for the first team:

Lumley
Kpekawa (sold for a fee)
Furlong
Hamalainen
Kakay
Doughty
Shodipo
Manning
Eze
Comley
Grego Cox
Pretrasso (full debut, he made one sub appearance before)

Prohouly and Paul have also made the bench.

That's since Jan 2015.

You can say it's the managers who've picked them, but then, given he's been criticised for the managers we've hired, he surely must get some credit for the above, no?

He's the only constant, as the DoF, on the playing side, and he said this was an objective when he started.

And tonight, we're waxing lyrical about some of them. Others we're excited about. And, yes, some won't make it...and ALL of them will go through rough patches.

But this is the QPR we used to be. This is the QPR we all said we wanted after the disastrous Hughes and Redknapp regimes.

Personally, I think we need to allow at least another 2 more, maybe 3, full seasons to judge his performance and impact as a DoF. But there are clearly green shoots. Green shoots of the variety we wanted.

He is not the devil incarnate.

Support him and support the club.

[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 9:25]
Our DoF on 09:42 - Jan 13 with 2552 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I think a HUGE fvcking banner is in order v Fulham if anyone wants to chip in..........
Our DoF on 10:22 - Jan 13 with 2463 viewsdavman

Of course you're right Tom, but, let's play Devil's Advocate for a change(!)...

None of those kids have played more than a handful of games for us, so it's very, very early days. Even over the pre-Les days we had a number of youth team players that played the odd game for the first team - Paddy Kanyuka, Marcus Bean, Jake Cole, Wes Daly, Dennis Oli, Shabazz Baidoo, Stefan Bailey, Scott Donnelly, etc., etc.

So, as you say, Green Shoots, but so, so early to say. Let's just wait and see how things pan out...

This post is such a microcosm of what it feels like to be a QPR fan these days. We've won, so everything is rosy today and everyone is brilliant. In a few weeks time if we've started losing again, Les will revert to being 'the problem' in the eyes of a few which will be reflected on this board.

When I take a step back from all of this and look in, I think that you cannot fault any of the Management Team for what they are trying to do here. Not everything will come off as necessity says that they have to gamble and that means that they will have some 'failures'. None of them want to fail and they trying to stick to the strategy, but the problem is that those at the top AND ESPECIALLY THE FANBASE actually haven't truly bought into the philosophy and therefore it keeps changing.

It has been said by a number on here that the strategy for building this club is not a short term job and will take time, effort and patience. We will have set backs on the way as it is bloody difficult.

Key here is to judge them after a reasonable period, but we don't do that, do we? 6 defeats on the bounce in a month - 1 whole month - and there were people talking about starting all over again. Really? Admittedly, it did start to look a bit dodgy when we were 4th bottom, but this cannot be about a month, a season or even three seasons. This is about where we want to be in 5 and 10 years time.

So, Les is not and never will be "Evil Les". He will make mistakes (don't we all), but he is doing the right job for us.

At the end of the season, when Doughty, Manning, Furlong and Eze have 20 appearances each, I'll agree that this is working, but until then it's work in progress.

By the way, I had to look it up as I wasn't sure. Everyone says Richard Langley was the last Youth Player to break through into the First Team, but Marcus Bean was another. Apparently, he made SIXTY-SEVEN appearances for us...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Our DoF on 10:29 - Jan 13 with 2425 views1BobbyHazell

Our DoF on 09:02 - Jan 13 by DejR_vu

It does feel homely having players from the youth set-up in and around the squad.

I agree LF should get some credit, that list is probably longer than the preceding 20 years. Equally, I don't think people should get quite so hysterical when he's criticised. Criticising someone doesn't mean you hate them, any more than giving them credit means you love them. There's very little middle-ground on this messageboard.

I made my annual visit to Fantasy Island yesterday and they have a Back or Sack Les poll going on. Sack has 45% of the vote!!

Constructive criticism is fine but as a Les defender I find myself needing to reply to the fairly constant and incredibly OTT 'what has he done, why do we need a DOF?' stuff that tries to paint him as wasteful or a poser or a Black Illuminati don who is responsible for the club 'going backwards'.

Only the other day someone was trying to claim that his tenure has been a 'disaster'!! Fu*kin 'ell.

Even on this thread someone is stating that it's 'taken so long to get here'. He's been here 2 years! From Boswinga, SWP, Barton, Sandro, Fer, Traore, Redknapp etc etc to what we have now. 4 of our own playing their part in a fantastic performance with potentially the best of the bunch in Shodipo and Eze to come. 2 years!!!

Love (and patience) is all you need.
Our DoF on 10:41 - Jan 13 with 2394 viewsCamberleyR

Our DoF on 10:22 - Jan 13 by davman

None of those kids have played more than a handful of games for us, so it's very, very early days. Even over the pre-Les days we had a number of youth team players that played the odd game for the first team - Paddy Kanyuka, Marcus Bean, Jake Cole, Wes Daly, Dennis Oli, Shabazz Baidoo, Stefan Bailey, Scott Donnelly, etc., etc.

So, as you say, Green Shoots, but so, so early to say. Let's just wait and see how things pan out...

This post is such a microcosm of what it feels like to be a QPR fan these days. We've won, so everything is rosy today and everyone is brilliant. In a few weeks time if we've started losing again, Les will revert to being 'the problem' in the eyes of a few which will be reflected on this board.

When I take a step back from all of this and look in, I think that you cannot fault any of the Management Team for what they are trying to do here. Not everything will come off as necessity says that they have to gamble and that means that they will have some 'failures'. None of them want to fail and they trying to stick to the strategy, but the problem is that those at the top AND ESPECIALLY THE FANBASE actually haven't truly bought into the philosophy and therefore it keeps changing.

It has been said by a number on here that the strategy for building this club is not a short term job and will take time, effort and patience. We will have set backs on the way as it is bloody difficult.

Key here is to judge them after a reasonable period, but we don't do that, do we? 6 defeats on the bounce in a month - 1 whole month - and there were people talking about starting all over again. Really? Admittedly, it did start to look a bit dodgy when we were 4th bottom, but this cannot be about a month, a season or even three seasons. This is about where we want to be in 5 and 10 years time.

So, Les is not and never will be "Evil Les". He will make mistakes (don't we all), but he is doing the right job for us.

At the end of the season, when Doughty, Manning, Furlong and Eze have 20 appearances each, I'll agree that this is working, but until then it's work in progress.

By the way, I had to look it up as I wasn't sure. Everyone says Richard Langley was the last Youth Player to break through into the First Team, but Marcus Bean was another. Apparently, he made SIXTY-SEVEN appearances for us...

Wasn't Ray Jones was the last youth teamer to break through to get an extended run of games?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Our DoF on 10:47 - Jan 13 with 2371 viewsHunterhoop

Our DoF on 10:22 - Jan 13 by davman

Dav, I don't think it's quite fair to say that people on this post, or my post itself, is saying "everything is rosy today and everyone is brilliant".

Far from it.

It's just highlighting some very encouraging green shoots from our DoF's two year tenure so far. Obviously there are aspects of his tenure which have been far from perfect. But they've been focused on with an almost obsessive nature by some. Just highlighting some good, that's all.

I completely agree, we can't judge him for several years to come, and the real benefit of any success will probably be felt in 5-10 years time.

No way will Furlong, Doughty Manning or Eze all make 20 appearances by the end of this season. They almost certainly won't all make 20 appearances next season either. But that doesn't mean the approach is a failure or not working.

You've just said we need to judge over a longer period of time, and then said "At the end of the season, when Doughty, Manning, Furlong and Eze have 20 appearances each, I'll agree that this is working."

That's more than a little inconsistent. We don't need to judge.

All we need to do is recognise that pretty big steps are being made in the right direction, regardless of what the 1st team results and performances are. That's all.

It's absolutely a work in progress. But we can all be happy, optimistic and positive that it's a work in progress with some thoroughly encouraging aspects.

If this can translate to a more positive atmosphere at LR, where the players get our vocal support, all the better. You begin to create that virtuous circle between good performances and good support. That's what we all want.
Our DoF on 10:50 - Jan 13 with 2354 viewsFredManRave

Question is though, are there enough wingers coming through to supply the balls into the box from, you know, the wings?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Our DoF on 10:56 - Jan 13 with 2334 viewsHunterhoop

Our DoF on 10:50 - Jan 13 by FredManRave

Question is though, are there enough wingers coming through to supply the balls into the box from, you know, the wings?!

hehe....

Luckily another of our DoF's signings (well, the scouting network he implemented after Redknapp) is a winger and bloody good.

Also, of those young players coming through Shodipo and Petrasso are genuine wingers. Manning has played LW for most of his youth career. Kakay can play FB or as a winger (JFH played him there in the cup).

I wouldn't mind our youth set up producing another Ray Jones type: a big, strong, tall CF. Easier said than done though!
Our DoF on 10:58 - Jan 13 with 2316 viewsdavman

Our DoF on 10:47 - Jan 13 by Hunterhoop

Dav, I don't think it's quite fair to say that people on this post, or my post itself, is saying "everything is rosy today and everyone is brilliant".

Far from it.

It's just highlighting some very encouraging green shoots from our DoF's two year tenure so far. Obviously there are aspects of his tenure which have been far from perfect. But they've been focused on with an almost obsessive nature by some. Just highlighting some good, that's all.

I completely agree, we can't judge him for several years to come, and the real benefit of any success will probably be felt in 5-10 years time.

No way will Furlong, Doughty Manning or Eze all make 20 appearances by the end of this season. They almost certainly won't all make 20 appearances next season either. But that doesn't mean the approach is a failure or not working.

You've just said we need to judge over a longer period of time, and then said "At the end of the season, when Doughty, Manning, Furlong and Eze have 20 appearances each, I'll agree that this is working."

That's more than a little inconsistent. We don't need to judge.

All we need to do is recognise that pretty big steps are being made in the right direction, regardless of what the 1st team results and performances are. That's all.

It's absolutely a work in progress. But we can all be happy, optimistic and positive that it's a work in progress with some thoroughly encouraging aspects.

If this can translate to a more positive atmosphere at LR, where the players get our vocal support, all the better. You begin to create that virtuous circle between good performances and good support. That's what we all want.

I agree with you!

...apart from the bit "But we can all be happy, optimistic and positive". I try, but I a miserable old pessimistic (realist???) when it comes to QPR...

Belated Happy New Year to you matey, have a good 'un!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Login to get fewer ads

Our DoF on 11:00 - Jan 13 with 2304 views2Thomas2Bowles

Was it Manning that the club said could leave a few months back.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Our DoF on 11:03 - Jan 13 with 2279 views1BobbyHazell

Our DoF on 11:00 - Jan 13 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Was it Manning that the club said could leave a few months back.

HunterHoop - "It's just highlighting some very encouraging green shoots from our DoF's two year tenure so far. Obviously there are aspects of his tenure which have been far from perfect. BUT THEY'VE BEEN FOCUSED ON WITH AN ALMOST OBSESSIVE NATURE BY SOME."
Our DoF on 12:30 - Jan 13 with 2138 viewshoof_hearted

Bump so everyone else can up arrow it! I know it's a bit like one of those letters to the Times signed by 300 people in support of some airy fairy humanitarian cause but THIS is serious.

I love Sir Les so much I would let him be the meat in my and Clint's sandwich.
Our DoF on 12:56 - Jan 13 with 2056 viewscaliforniahoop

Our DoF on 12:30 - Jan 13 by hoof_hearted

Bump so everyone else can up arrow it! I know it's a bit like one of those letters to the Times signed by 300 people in support of some airy fairy humanitarian cause but THIS is serious.

Not being negative but a little thank you to Steve Gallen, top job sir. Hopefully he will be back sometime in the future, he cultivated these youngsters under difficult circumstances.
Our DoF on 12:58 - Jan 13 with 2041 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Our DoF on 12:56 - Jan 13 by californiahoop

Not being negative but a little thank you to Steve Gallen, top job sir. Hopefully he will be back sometime in the future, he cultivated these youngsters under difficult circumstances.

Agreed, and more recently Chris Ramsey.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 12:58]
Our DoF on 12:58 - Jan 13 with 2039 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Absolutely. He must have been a proud man last night.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Our DoF on 13:01 - Jan 13 with 2015 viewsR_from_afar

I don't think anyone has mentioned him yet but Chris Ramsey also has a pivotal role when it comes to developing our own players.

RFA (Looks for tin hat, primes claymores, dives into bunker and calls for air support...)

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Our DoF on 13:05 - Jan 13 with 1927 views2Thomas2Bowles

Our DoF on 13:01 - Jan 13 by R_from_afar

I don't think anyone has mentioned him yet but Chris Ramsey also has a pivotal role when it comes to developing our own players.

RFA (Looks for tin hat, primes claymores, dives into bunker and calls for air support...)

You mean the job he should have stayed at
[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 13:11]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Our DoF on 13:10 - Jan 13 with 1915 viewscaliforniahoop

Our DoF on 13:05 - Jan 13 by 2Thomas2Bowles

You mean the job he should have stayed at
[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 13:11]

Yes, at least we where clever enough to put that clause in his contract, doing a great job, plenty of young players being added to the set up, good job!
Our DoF on 13:21 - Jan 13 with 1877 viewsFDC

Our DoF on 12:58 - Jan 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

Agreed, and more recently Chris Ramsey.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2017 12:58]

Incidentally, Marcus Bean mentioned on Two Pros In A Pod that he'd been back to LR recently to visit Chris Ramsey. He went on about what a great coach he is and how much he knows about football.
Our DoF on 13:27 - Jan 13 with 1861 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Our DoF on 13:21 - Jan 13 by FDC

Incidentally, Marcus Bean mentioned on Two Pros In A Pod that he'd been back to LR recently to visit Chris Ramsey. He went on about what a great coach he is and how much he knows about football.

Half the Spurs based England team also agree.
Our DoF on 13:31 - Jan 13 with 1836 viewsLoft1979

Our DoF on 09:29 - Jan 13 by robith

Very true - I guess the issue has been legitimate criticism of Les (and every person in every football club should receive genuine feedback to act on) has often been subsumed by people making bizarre histrionic accusations of Les being the leader of the Black Masons

1- Les and Ollie represent the club and we love that, but criticism is still healthy.
He has made some choices we don't like and some we do.
2- I for one felt furlong Jr should have been the first choice right back all year.
Our DoF on 14:06 - Jan 13 with 1785 viewsHunterhoop

Totally agree. He's played a huge role in that list. Paul Hall, Ramsey, and others have played roles too.

But you still need a DoF who's willing to allow the good work of the likes of Steve Gallen to prosper and be realised at First Team level. A DoF who does genuinely ensure we have a pathway from the youth teams into the first team.

If we'd appointed another Redknapp, of Big Sam, for example, or went out and made loads of signings, which some fans have been calling for over the last year, and didn't have such a DoF in place, it's quite conceivable that all that good work done in developing the youth team players would have been wasted, because the 1st Team Manager would have just wanted to buy in.
Our DoF on 14:08 - Jan 13 with 1773 viewsHunterhoop

Our DoF on 10:58 - Jan 13 by davman

I agree with you!

...apart from the bit "But we can all be happy, optimistic and positive". I try, but I a miserable old pessimistic (realist???) when it comes to QPR...

Belated Happy New Year to you matey, have a good 'un!

And you, mate. Hope Aaron is doing well.
Our DoF on 18:16 - Jan 13 with 1630 viewsPey

Top post Hunter.

Les was the reason i started supprting QPR and i wanted him to become a succes as a DOF for our club.
Glad to see although early stages some of his work is paying of right now.
Don't underestimate the huge task he took on of transforming this club.
Not everything will be a succes but hope we are laying a foundation we can build on in the future.
Our DoF on 19:12 - Jan 13 with 1572 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Our DoF on 12:30 - Jan 13 by hoof_hearted

Ugh ffs, I've gotta go and poke my mind's eye out now!
Our DoF on 21:17 - Jan 13 with 1493 viewsBrightonhoop

Spot on. Heady days ahead.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024