Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Polter 19:12 - Jan 1 with 13195 viewsGloucs_R

Worked hard today, made his own goal and was clearly worked up after he had scored. It was a great header, reminded me of Les. (The header, not him!!)

I wish people would give him a break, he isnt the next Austin but then again who is!?!? Austin should be at at Top 8 Prem club.

[Post edited 1 Jan 2016 19:35]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Polter on 20:47 - Jan 2 with 2108 viewsflynnbo

I'd love him to do well and for a striker he really ought to have hit the target in the first half. After all, both Les and JFH were both top strikers and he ought to be learning off Austin too. I think we used to love our "characters"such as Devon White because we were not really in danger of losing our main striker and they only filled in for a short time. I doubt people would have been so tolerant if they were our sole option. Also, we used to score from other sources and we're not so reliant upon one person-talking early 1990s here.
Polter on 20:51 - Jan 2 with 2093 viewsNeil_SI

Polter on 20:06 - Jan 2 by GloryHunter

Thanks Neil. You've said almost exactly what I was thinking yesterday. He gets under headers, and really needs to turn sideways-on and use his shoulders and arms, a la Bobby Zamora. What I can't understand is how he managed to score so many in Bundesliga 2 last season, with those limitations. It's possible he could be coached into being a good striker, but why hasn't he been coached already, having been in the professional game for a good few years?
[Post edited 2 Jan 2016 20:13]

There's different ways to look at this.

It's understandable that he would have some technical deficiencies if he was originally a goalkeeper until his mid-teens. If you miss that education, it's not easy to make up and it becomes harder as you get older.

In fact, many football clubs and academies can end up ditching young players if they are injured for any length of time. The view, not one that I would agree with, is that the lost time is hard for them to make up. So if they do that to 'natural' outfield players, you can see why it might be more of a problem for someone with Polter's background.

The reason he's made it is because he has worked very hard, not just with us, but with the clubs he's been at in Germany. He's applied himself correctly and shown a great attitude and willingness to work hard on his game and improve. I think his game is still more German orientated, and that's what we're seeing in little patches. They play a different way and he's adjusting to what's needed to be successful over here.

He is also fine tactically. This is something a lot of people might miss, but his defensive work for the team goes unnoticed. He's important for that reason and I'd currently say his tactical understanding when out of possession is better than most of our attacking players. There's a couple of small details here, certainly from German education, but his distances between players and the way he closes them down, in terms of angle, is always decent. This helps him actually engage more often than you see the others do, because he times and executes these things well.

What we haven't seen is just how much he's improved since he made the switch to becoming an outfield player, and I'm guessing that progression has obviously been a lot in what is a short time frame. To me, that says a lot about his character and dedication, because he's made it where other players haven't, who will have always played outfield. He has fire in the belly.

I said a while back on here that I also think he can score goals, because he does have an uncanny knack of getting himself into dangerous positions in the penalty area and his record last season shows he's not fazed by the pressure of having to score goals.

The two he scored recently were very different in style. The way he pounced on the one against Huddersfield showed he has a strikers instinct. He anticipated it well and snuffed it out, and I was absolutely sure he'd score because he read the play well to get himself that half a yard while others weren't paying attention to where the ball might drop.

Perhaps he's still better suited at this stage of his development as a second striker in a two, as he'd be a really good foil for some of our other players and the lone striker role is just not easy to play well for anybody. I think his inclusion in the side frees up others to do what they're good at.

The reason he's so useful for us is because of that work rate. He helps provide some balance in an area where so many other players lack the discipline to work hard off the ball. If those players did what Polter does in terms of work ethic, then you can't complain, Polter wouldn't get a look in and that would be totally fair. But that's not the case, and that's why this levels the playing field for him and has seen him get some game time.

Imagine for a moment (hypothetically) a pairing of Jamie Mackie and Polter up front. They'd be a real nuisance for any defence and offer protection to their midfield that no other combination would. Of course, that may well be at the expense of some goals, but that's why it's about balance. He'd pair well with any of the attacking players because most of them can't do (or won't do) what he does, while he may not well provide what they can (a little more flair).

He also obviously needs experience. Football is an emotional sport, so he needs to go through some of that to help inspire him to the next level, and that's why he needs our support. With further encouragement he can improve plenty. Les Ferdinand is a great example for this as well, because he was raw as heck when he first arrived and turned into a terrific all round centre forward.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2016 20:55]
Polter on 21:19 - Jan 2 with 2043 viewsNortholt_Rs

Polter on 20:06 - Jan 2 by GloryHunter

Thanks Neil. You've said almost exactly what I was thinking yesterday. He gets under headers, and really needs to turn sideways-on and use his shoulders and arms, a la Bobby Zamora. What I can't understand is how he managed to score so many in Bundesliga 2 last season, with those limitations. It's possible he could be coached into being a good striker, but why hasn't he been coached already, having been in the professional game for a good few years?
[Post edited 2 Jan 2016 20:13]

Perhaps because Bundesliga 2 is a really poor standard of football?

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Polter on 21:21 - Jan 2 with 2036 viewsDevonWhite

Polter on 17:50 - Jan 2 by Northernr

Polter is an interesting example of how the dynamic of the crowd and the support has changed at Loftus Road. Previously we absolutely reveled in having those unconventional, underdog players in our team. Maybe not technically the best, maybe a bit odd to watch, maybe a bit of a maverick, but 110% effort, totally committed and effective. We used to absolutely love somebody like that and make cult heroes of them. Jamie Mackie, Devon White, Danny Shittu, Stuart Wardley maybe, Rufus Brevett maybe.

Now we absolutely pummel Polter, even when he's doing a good job for the team and both scoring and setting up goals regularly, presumably because we think we as a club should be above that, and should be out there spending more money on accomplished strikers and big names - like that's worked at all for us over the past five years. I know some on here get their hackles up at the word "spoilt" when it's been used about the supporters this season, but we've certainly changed as a group of fans.

Polter should be a fcking hero. Big German lump with ridiculous hair, scoring and setting up goals despite seeming to have no natural technique or ability - or, more kindly, an unconventional style - in a team that's struggling to score goals at all and is playing very poorly.

More power to you Seb, wish you were getting more support for your efforts from certain team mates and certain 'supporters'.

Absolutely bang on. The abuse Polter got yesterday was disgusting and embarrassing.
Polter on 21:46 - Jan 2 with 2008 viewsingeminate

Polter is an interesting example of how the dynamic of the crowd and the support has changed at Loftus Road. Previously we absolutely reveled in having those unconventional, underdog players in our team. Maybe not technically the best, maybe a bit odd to watch, maybe a bit of a maverick, but 110% effort, totally committed and effective. We used to absolutely love somebody like that and make cult heroes of them. Jamie Mackie, Devon White, Danny Shittu, Stuart Wardley maybe, Rufus Brevett maybe.

Now we absolutely pummel Polter, even when he's doing a good job for the team and both scoring and setting up goals regularly, presumably because we think we as a club should be above that, and should be out there spending more money on accomplished strikers and big names - like that's worked at all for us over the past five years. I know some on here get their hackles up at the word "spoilt" when it's been used about the supporters this season, but we've certainly changed as a group of fans.

Polter should be a fcking hero. Big German lump with ridiculous hair, scoring and setting up goals despite seeming to have no natural technique or ability - or, more kindly, an unconventional style - in a team that's struggling to score goals at all and is playing very poorly.

More power to you Seb, wish you were getting more support for your efforts from certain team mates and certain 'supporters'.

Agree with all of that.

One question. When you say should be getting more support from certain team mates do you mean more balls in the box - playing to his strength. Or training ground/dressing room related?

The change in attitude from the fan base is a real shame, i'd add Georgie Santos to your list and Ainsworth too. Real characters who gave absolutely everything.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Polter on 21:54 - Jan 2 with 1995 viewsNorthernr

Polter on 21:46 - Jan 2 by ingeminate

Agree with all of that.

One question. When you say should be getting more support from certain team mates do you mean more balls in the box - playing to his strength. Or training ground/dressing room related?

The change in attitude from the fan base is a real shame, i'd add Georgie Santos to your list and Ainsworth too. Real characters who gave absolutely everything.

I mean if the likes of Fer and Sandro played with his application they'd be formidable players.
Polter on 22:13 - Jan 2 with 1964 viewsYorkRanger

Polter on 18:57 - Jan 2 by Gloucs_R

Glad there are many on this board who think like me. Clive put the nail on the head, we seem to have some really spoilt fans these days.

Looking at the top scorers in the Championship,

Andre Gray £7m could rise to £9m
Ross McCormack £11m
Nick Blackman£1.2m but has taken him to 2 years to get where he is this season. 17 in 99 isnt great.
Charlie Austin - £10-15m if he was coming to the end of his contract
Fernando Forestieri - £3m
Abel Hernández £10m 14 in 46

Jordan Rhodes only has 9 this season, Nahki Wells has 8 and Chris Wood has 8, cost £3m and has played 23 games this season.

I like Polter. Two goals in two games, as a striker no one should have a problem with that. Quirky and a bit unorthodox - as others have said in times gone by that would have made him a cult hero...
Polter on 22:35 - Jan 2 with 1932 viewsade_qpr

A - No point in comparing Polter to Charlie. We know Charlie can play very well in the Premiership. Polter is still learning the game in the championship.
B - The bigger question is if we lose Charlie for next season (more likely than not) can we build an attack around Polter? ( while hopefully we stay in the championship ) As Neil and others have said earlier yes he's still learning but has a number of positive points about him.
C - Charlie grew from Conference to Premier player. Given time Polter could be a good player for us (how good only time will tell and how many of us thought Charlie would do so well? )
So give him and chance and get behind him.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Login to get fewer ads

Polter on 22:39 - Jan 2 with 1925 viewsNorthernr

Polter on 22:35 - Jan 2 by ade_qpr

A - No point in comparing Polter to Charlie. We know Charlie can play very well in the Premiership. Polter is still learning the game in the championship.
B - The bigger question is if we lose Charlie for next season (more likely than not) can we build an attack around Polter? ( while hopefully we stay in the championship ) As Neil and others have said earlier yes he's still learning but has a number of positive points about him.
C - Charlie grew from Conference to Premier player. Given time Polter could be a good player for us (how good only time will tell and how many of us thought Charlie would do so well? )

Good post. On A) - could you ever compare Devon White to Les Ferdinand? Obviously not, they're not meant to be as good, one is the understudy. It was pure QPR to cover Ferdinand with White, it's pure QPR to be covering Austin with Polter, we should be embracing it.

And anyway, playing a striker of any ability is better than playing no striker at all, as we're currently proving.
Polter on 22:42 - Jan 2 with 1921 viewsTheBlob

Polter on 22:35 - Jan 2 by ade_qpr

He's not in the same mould as Crouchy who has a deft touch on the deck,but he has the presence of an Andy Carroll,he can get up and work those neck muscles.I'm hoping he'll become even more of the type of traditional centre striker that the ball instinctively finds.He'll be all right.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Polter on 23:26 - Jan 2 with 1863 viewsGloryHunter

Polter on 21:19 - Jan 2 by Northolt_Rs

Er . . . no. Get yourself over there and catch a few games.
Polter on 23:30 - Jan 2 with 1854 viewsNorthernr

Polter on 21:19 - Jan 2 by Northolt_Rs

Oh yeh, the fcking Championship knocks spots off it. The Germans are well known for the poor quality and organisation of their domestic football.

That one is a new low for this message board not involving Holloway, SOG or Muslims.
Polter on 23:54 - Jan 2 with 1804 viewsichbinnaughty

I'm not sure what JET has done wrong but I'm amazed he hasn't played more while Charlie's been out.
Strikers first and foremost should score goals and he has done.
As is Polter now.
I'd like to see both start a game together. If you're an opposition defender standing in the tunnel waiting to come out you'd see them two big lumps and know you're in for a hard old day.
Get Junior and Phillips to hit the box as often as possible, and I think there's rewards.
Polter on 00:00 - Jan 3 with 1799 viewsade_qpr

Polter on 23:30 - Jan 2 by Northernr

Oh yeh, the fcking Championship knocks spots off it. The Germans are well known for the poor quality and organisation of their domestic football.

That one is a new low for this message board not involving Holloway, SOG or Muslims.

Very good book to read on German football history is Tor by Uli Hesse.
Although doesn't have much on the B2 mainly the National team and the development of the Bundesliga.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Polter on 00:31 - Jan 3 with 1762 viewsconnell10

Polter on 23:54 - Jan 2 by ichbinnaughty

I'm not sure what JET has done wrong but I'm amazed he hasn't played more while Charlie's been out.
Strikers first and foremost should score goals and he has done.
As is Polter now.
I'd like to see both start a game together. If you're an opposition defender standing in the tunnel waiting to come out you'd see them two big lumps and know you're in for a hard old day.
Get Junior and Phillips to hit the box as often as possible, and I think there's rewards.

Did you see the state of JUMBO JET when he came on the other week! fat!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Polter on 02:00 - Jan 3 with 1729 viewsnix

Polter on 21:46 - Jan 2 by ingeminate

Agree with all of that.

And Rob Steiner. Crazy, passionate forward - bit of a lump too.
Polter on 02:57 - Jan 3 with 1709 viewsVancouverHoop

Polter on 23:30 - Jan 2 by Northernr

He's also played for five different clubs in under three years – mainly through being loaned out. That doesn't help a young player's development.
Polter on 09:27 - Jan 3 with 1625 viewsqprichard

While I agree with the main point you are making, the stick handed out to some players is far from recent.
Going back one can think of Alan Wilks and Mick Leach or not so long ago the first part of Paul Furlongs time with us.
One of my first memories when my father first started taking me to Loftus Road with him in the 50s was asking why a new player was being booed and sworn at. He told me because he was slow, couldn't tackle and his passing was poor. It was Brian Bedford.
Polter on 11:20 - Jan 3 with 1570 viewsphilosopher

Seems he was in same German U-21 squad as Emre Can and scored a few. Technically, a bit above Conference standard.
Polter on 11:22 - Jan 3 with 1565 viewsTheBlob

Also puts me in mind of young Andy McCulloch who came to us as an amateur and scored in that (Rodney Marsh hat trick) 5-2 over Brum.But we let him go and he found better fortune at Brentford.
There was great service at R's at that time,the two Morgans,Mike Ferguson,Gillard and even Tony Hazell bunged a few crosses in.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Polter on 16:23 - Jan 3 with 1476 viewsDorse

Polter on 09:50 - Jan 2 by Neil_SI

I like him.

From a coaching point of view — there's lot's to work with there and improve, but he looks like the type of person that has the right attitude and is willing to learn. If we're patient and he's coached well, then he will make some improvements.

He works very hard in matches and currently that's his leveller — he's putting in more effort than a lot of other players with his willingness to harass the opposition and make a nuisance of himself and whatever anybody says, he's played a key role over the last few matches. He's had a good hand in creating and scoring goals and yesterday's header was nothing short of an excellent finish.

He does still need to adjust to the English game. There are obviously raw elements, and that's normal, he was a goalkeeper up until the age of 16, so that's why he sometimes appears a little gangly or flat footed in scenarios where you want to see a little bit more nimble footwork.

The easy things to start with are working a little bit on his positioning for headers. He's getting himself underneath the ball a little too much and therefore making it just a tad easier for the defender to win the aerial ball over the top of him. But, having said that, some of these challenges would also likely be judged as fouls back in Germany in his favour — and he did win quite a lot of fouls for us and that's a positive sign. If I were coaching him I'd teach him a few side on positions to help him contest some of those headers a little better and to help him make use of his strength in a more 'fair' fashion so that he can hold off the player without fouling them.

I've no problems with him being in the team at all. I think his work ethic and attitude are a breath of fresh air in this team.

How dare you make such a positive and coherent point about Polter. Don't you know he's rubbish?! Some coked-up, teenaged, Burberry apes told me.

You, Sir, have crossed the line.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Polter on 17:12 - Jan 3 with 1433 viewsqprphil

Get off his back, limited at the moment, yes. He is young, he will improve, and whats more, he puts a bloody good shift in, and looks as if he cares. Pick eleven with that attitude,, and everyone will be singing.
Polter on 21:04 - Jan 3 with 1365 viewsDoughnut

Polter's all right. At least he has some fire and has a fckng go !
That Suebian knot does it for me though!!
Polter on 21:12 - Jan 3 with 1355 viewsPommyhoop

I like the lad. Big strong 110 per center who pisses defenders right off.
Great header too and he started the move off.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2016 21:13]

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024