Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Willock V Dykes 09:51 - Oct 21 with 2516 viewsQPerthR

Willock is such a great player to watch and I would love him to stay

However if he was to leave for a good amount of money plus add ons . Does Dykes step up as it could be that Willock stifles his play , it’s no coincidence that he seems to be playing like Ruud Van Nistolrooy at the moment
Willock V Dykes on 09:55 - Oct 21 with 2469 viewsHAYESBOY

I wouldn't see it as Willock v Dykes. For me it is Willock and Dykes. With some Chair thrown in as well.
There is also the emergence of Armstrong to factor in as well.
Let's see if what Les said at the forum with regards to a new contract for Willock arises.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Willock V Dykes on 09:56 - Oct 21 with 2453 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

These are all nice problems to have. I think the biggest problem earlier in the season was Dykes not putting his chances away, not really to do with Willock.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Willock V Dykes on 09:58 - Oct 21 with 2432 viewsdaveB

He couldn't hit a barn door when Willock was injured last season so I'm not sure the 2 are related. he has these runs where everything he hits goes in, need to make the most of them as another barron patch usually follows
Willock V Dykes on 10:29 - Oct 21 with 2325 viewsRBlock

Correlation does not equal causation. Dykes is a confidence player, nothing to do with Willock. Think back to the demolition of Reading, when Willock was picking Dykes out for the opening goal. An in-form Dykes only benefits from having Willock on the pitch IMO.
Willock V Dykes on 10:42 - Oct 21 with 2249 viewsLazyFan

Willock is prem class, Dykes has not even proven his Champ capable as he has those baron patches or we should say, goal-scoring runs that fade as quickly as they start.

To be fair to Dykes, I noticed that he is now getting more crosses sent to him, which was a failing of the rest of the team and not him.

But when that happens as a forward you should be complaining your not getting them, that's what Roberts does, he complains when the ball is not passed to him.

Either Willock signs in Jan or we shall have to sell him in Jan or by end of the season at the latest. Only Rangers or Florist would by Dykes right now and not for much more than the £2m we paid for him. And then we would have to replace him anyway as Bonne is off and it would be too much to ask of Armstrong who is only 19 and played less than 10 games for QPR.

zzzzzzzzzz

Willock V Dykes on 10:43 - Oct 21 with 2246 viewsHastings_Hoops

I think we saw the other night the potential of Dykes + Armstrong. Two battering rams but both in a very different way - add a skilful number ten (Chair or Willock) to the mix; you become a big problem for defences.
Willock V Dykes on 10:57 - Oct 21 with 2183 viewsParkRoyalR

Beale's coaching has undoubtedly improved Chair's play around the box as was seen by that excellent first time cross into the box for Dykes's 2nd versus Cardiff.

Chair didn't look up and just put the cross in to the near-post as job done, it is then up to Dykes to get there.

Last season Chair would have stopped, cut-back, looked up and by the time the cross came in the ability to attack it at pace was gone because our forwards are stationary and the defence set.

Willock plays this way all the time and it seems Chair now is, complimenting his work rate and set piece delivery.

If we can keep Chair playing like this and Willock fit, Dykes has no excuse in being a minimum 1 in 3 striker (excluding penalties) as also noticeable he is gambling more on 1st time near post runs as the guys must be instructed to get the ball in early to these areas.
Willock V Dykes on 11:05 - Oct 21 with 2151 viewsgazza1

If I were Dykes I would gamble a lot more than he does.....the two near post goals he has got recently he has gambled, get the timing right, ie, get ahead of the defender then he will score more goals - he needs to remain behind the defender until it is 'right' to get in front of him and make contact with the ball. There is nothing worse for a defender when he is watching the ball in front of him and the attacker behind him, if the attacker gets the 'jump' on him then the defender will not get the ball.

As for Willock v Dykes.....its not a match!!!!
[Post edited 21 Oct 2022 11:06]
Login to get fewer ads

Willock V Dykes on 11:15 - Oct 21 with 2133 viewsWestbourneR

Movement in the 6 yard box much improved. Feet seem slicker too, he's getting his shot away much quicker.

But his movement is not great and he isn't great at finding lines for runs in behind.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Willock V Dykes on 11:18 - Oct 21 with 2118 viewsgazza1

Willock V Dykes on 11:15 - Oct 21 by WestbourneR

Movement in the 6 yard box much improved. Feet seem slicker too, he's getting his shot away much quicker.

But his movement is not great and he isn't great at finding lines for runs in behind.

The positives are that he has scored twice recently by attacking space/the ball......although the Cardiff defending for his 2nd goal was very poor indeed.
Willock V Dykes on 12:04 - Oct 21 with 2023 viewsE1Hoop

Willock V Dykes on 11:18 - Oct 21 by gazza1

The positives are that he has scored twice recently by attacking space/the ball......although the Cardiff defending for his 2nd goal was very poor indeed.

I wonder if the World Cup break will help us. Beale is a great coach and he has three weeks when he can work with already fit players and really coach them. There cannot be many other occasions when a manager has that much time to work with players that he already knows.

I will be interested to see how players like Dukes improve after the break. The goal against reading was all about the timing of his run to the near post, and the quality of the cross.
Willock V Dykes on 12:30 - Oct 21 with 1939 viewsPinnerPaul

Willock V Dykes on 09:58 - Oct 21 by daveB

He couldn't hit a barn door when Willock was injured last season so I'm not sure the 2 are related. he has these runs where everything he hits goes in, need to make the most of them as another barron patch usually follows

TBF that's true of most strikers outside the £30M plus bracket!

Even Haarland missed 4 last weekend!
Willock V Dykes on 12:56 - Oct 21 with 1857 viewsParkRoyalR

Willock V Dykes on 11:05 - Oct 21 by gazza1

If I were Dykes I would gamble a lot more than he does.....the two near post goals he has got recently he has gambled, get the timing right, ie, get ahead of the defender then he will score more goals - he needs to remain behind the defender until it is 'right' to get in front of him and make contact with the ball. There is nothing worse for a defender when he is watching the ball in front of him and the attacker behind him, if the attacker gets the 'jump' on him then the defender will not get the ball.

As for Willock v Dykes.....its not a match!!!!
[Post edited 21 Oct 2022 11:06]

I think he is more confident in running these lines now as knows the ball is coming in first time, very noticeable his headed goals against Reading last season and this he knows Willock and Kakay are going to cross first time and he times his runs perfectly to get across the defender at the last moment,

If Chair can continue doing likewise as he did Tuesday we will see a more confident Dykes as he will believe in these runs as too many times he has to check and come back out as the ball is held up with players taking too many touches,

I was also impressed with his hold-up play and shot on the turn versus Cardiff and we have of late seen all parts of his game including his clever reverse pass for Chair versus Reading which could have been a match winning assist...we just need to see this level every week...which is very much dependant on our 10's and Fullbacks.
Willock V Dykes on 14:41 - Oct 21 with 1733 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Dykes never really got the service that made the most of his attributes under Warburton, it was all so slow. Now the ball goes in a lot quicker, and Dykes seems to have started to adjust to it, and now getting goals
As others have pointed out, his touch, holdup play and all round play has improved a lot over the past month. I liked the partnership with Armstrong, considering it was their first game together they both did well. I hope they both play against Wigan tomorrow.
If we go up, Willock will stay. Simple as that.
Willock V Dykes on 14:47 - Oct 21 with 1703 viewsbosh67

What we are seeing is that if you put the ball on Dykes's head or allow him to meet a cross low and near the goal he is good. If he has time to think further out he's not so good.

Willock is just very good all round. If Willock or anyone finds Dykes's head or foot with a cross then it will probably have a fair chance of going in.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Willock V Dykes on 15:18 - Oct 21 with 1632 viewsfrancisbowles

It seems that Dykes is the hero or he villain to many. Hero v Reading , villain v Luton and hero again v Cardiff. Which will he be tomorrow?
Willock V Dykes on 19:19 - Oct 21 with 1417 viewsthemodfather

a long season, cramped games due to a poxy world cup, we will need all our squad firing on all cylinders and rotate as needed, injuries will come and go, as will bookings. strong squad , managed well = top 6.
Willock V Dykes on 19:56 - Oct 21 with 1362 viewsflynnbo

Wonder who Lyndon’s rooting for in the rugby league tonight? Aussies currently bossing it.
Willock V Dykes on 20:36 - Oct 21 with 1329 viewsVancouverHoop

Dykes is a very up-and-down, centre-of-the-pitch type of player. Unlike Roberts, or even Armstrong, he rarely moves much beyond the width of the keepers' box. Now we have a couple of effective wing backs, who play to his strengths with crosses, he was almost bound to be more effective. Beale's experiment of running Armstrong beside Dykes last match him paid off brilliantly. Sinclair's speed and strength provided Dykes with much more space in front of goal than he usually gets.

Really hoping we get to see that pairing again. I don't think choosing Willock over Dykes, or vice versa, is ever really going to be a decision that needs to be made.
Willock V Dykes on 22:01 - Oct 21 with 1233 viewsderbyhoop

Willock V Dykes on 20:36 - Oct 21 by VancouverHoop

Dykes is a very up-and-down, centre-of-the-pitch type of player. Unlike Roberts, or even Armstrong, he rarely moves much beyond the width of the keepers' box. Now we have a couple of effective wing backs, who play to his strengths with crosses, he was almost bound to be more effective. Beale's experiment of running Armstrong beside Dykes last match him paid off brilliantly. Sinclair's speed and strength provided Dykes with much more space in front of goal than he usually gets.

Really hoping we get to see that pairing again. I don't think choosing Willock over Dykes, or vice versa, is ever really going to be a decision that needs to be made.

I (and Mick Beale) must be watching a different game to you.

Dykes does a lot of work to close down defender's passing lanes.
But a striker's main job is to score goals and that means being between the posts and within 10 yards of the line. Pref arriving late so defenders don't block him off.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Willock V Dykes on 23:11 - Oct 21 with 1157 viewsVancouverHoop

Willock V Dykes on 22:01 - Oct 21 by derbyhoop

I (and Mick Beale) must be watching a different game to you.

Dykes does a lot of work to close down defender's passing lanes.
But a striker's main job is to score goals and that means being between the posts and within 10 yards of the line. Pref arriving late so defenders don't block him off.

Quite. But Dykes also does a lot of work defensively, and in the middle of the pitch. However he's rarely anywhere near either touchline.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024