Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players Released 08:33 - May 10 with 43227 viewsGloucs_R

When do they usually announce the list of names?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Players Released on 18:18 - May 10 with 4412 viewsDejR_vu

Players Released on 17:01 - May 10 by simmo

So that's 3 different wages for Bidwell in this thread alone, which basically means nobody knows and it's probably less than everyone thinks.

All three are reasonably similar though which would suggest it’s in that ball park. Whichever is right, it’s way too much. £0.75m a year, bet he can’t believe his luck. His Brentford salary looks more than generous given his general performance level for us.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Players Released on 18:26 - May 10 with 4381 viewsNorthernr

We know we're overpaying. Salaries at £30m last season, Preston paid £13m. MIllwall came for Smith in January, couldn't afford the wage. We've made great strides, wage bill was £80m when Les/Hoos started, but we still massively overpay.
Players Released on 18:28 - May 10 with 4372 viewsswitchingcode

Players Released on 18:18 - May 10 by DejR_vu

All three are reasonably similar though which would suggest it’s in that ball park. Whichever is right, it’s way too much. £0.75m a year, bet he can’t believe his luck. His Brentford salary looks more than generous given his general performance level for us.

Don’t understand the grief he gets he was a good solid player for us and never gives less that 100%.
Players Released on 18:28 - May 10 with 4372 viewsNorthernr

Players Released on 18:28 - May 10 by switchingcode

Don’t understand the grief he gets he was a good solid player for us and never gives less that 100%.

He's solid enough for us as well, I don't get the criticism really.
Players Released on 18:49 - May 10 with 4323 viewsHarbour

Players Released on 18:28 - May 10 by Northernr

Yes agree with that I like Bidwell generally puts in a shift gets forward positive player yes makes mistakes but show me the player who does not. Like Eze gets unwarranted stick.
Players Released on 18:49 - May 10 with 4321 viewsDejR_vu

I think he possibly gets more exposed for us than he did for you. I don’t think he gets that much grief really. I personally think he’s pretty basic, but do have some sympathy for him playing next to Lynch.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Players Released on 18:51 - May 10 with 4310 viewsstainrods_elbow

Players Released on 13:02 - May 10 by Gloucs_R

I heard Bidwell is on close to £18k a week. So unless he takes a massive drop in salary, he wont be signing again. The average Champ players earns around £8k

BFG said to be on near £20k too

Sauce? As Bidwell is an average to only half-decent Champ left back at best (when he actually bothers playing left back, which isn't always), this looks like another case of the club having its pants pulled down.

That said, ridiculously over-rewarded though too may footballers undoubtedly are, in what other industry would farcical financial mismanagement and swingeing/whimsical/ vindictive borderline illegal fines by the authorities etc. mean that its workers routinely faced 50% cuts to salary from one year to the next?

Mind you, that said x2, and to put it in perspective, as a fraught freelancer I'm lucky to earn in four months what Bidwell might be offered in a week to re-sign. And if I left my laptop/desk as often as he leaves his defensive zone, I'd be outski faster than you can say 'dozy f*cker'!

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Players Released on 18:52 - May 10 with 4311 viewsrsonist

Think he kind of has a mute, bland quality that translates to meekness when things go wrong and people are looking to point the finger. If we ever kept a few clean sheets he'd be Steady Eddie etc.

Everyone has a slightly irrational one like that don't they? Personally I know Luongo isn't the problem (statistically zzz) but his gap year work experience backpacker vibe really gets on my tits sometimes.
Login to get fewer ads

Players Released on 18:55 - May 10 with 4299 viewsNorthernr

Players Released on 18:52 - May 10 by rsonist

Think he kind of has a mute, bland quality that translates to meekness when things go wrong and people are looking to point the finger. If we ever kept a few clean sheets he'd be Steady Eddie etc.

Everyone has a slightly irrational one like that don't they? Personally I know Luongo isn't the problem (statistically zzz) but his gap year work experience backpacker vibe really gets on my tits sometimes.

Lol, you'll be getting Danny Baker accusations for that. Anti Australianism. Or something.

I like Luongo, I think he needs to score more (one of the other things Holloway actually got happening, before we sacked him) and I think he was playing very well in difficult cirucmstances by the end of last season. But it does irritate slightly that he's allowed long periods of awful form and people just say "well he had to fly a long way during the international break" and that's the end of that. Now, granted, some of his trips are ridiculous, but it doesn't seem to affect the other Ozzies over here quite like it does him.

It's one of a number of examples of senior players getting a pass while younger players get hammered. Nobody saying a word about Hemed, but coating Eze off for being lazy the most obvious example. Look how many people write off Manning, who for me has never really let us down bar one or two poor performances, and then how few people criticise Luongo when he goes into one of his six week funks because he had a week of long flights (in first class).
Players Released on 19:18 - May 10 with 4247 viewsrsonist

Yeah I don't know if he's who you were thinking of when you made that point in one of your recent pieces but he immediately sprang to mind.

In fairness he was way over-criticised two years ago and the corpse of those rows isn't one I ever feel like reanimating. So it all becomes a vague half arsed free pass.
Players Released on 19:31 - May 10 with 4218 viewsrsonist

You'd really think the social media team spin doctors would have gotten on top of it by now. Couple of sessions with Imps over the summer, after which Mass absolutely lamps Ben Pearson in the 90th minute home v Preston. Just one clean hit and when he returns from the ten match ban his QPR career will be reborn, have all the Qantas air miles you like son.
Players Released on 19:40 - May 10 with 4190 viewsfrancisbowles

Players Released on 18:08 - May 10 by QPROslo

Ideally I'd like to see someone with a lot more pace than either Manning or Bidwell have at LB.. Of the players out of contract the one to keep for me is Pawel because he'll run all day for you, and, as said, do a good job in so many positions, even at LB one day when Ollie was being especially inventive.

Whilst I agree with you about lack of pace, I think Manning is such a good footballer
at our level that he should be in the team. I think the solution is to find a quick left sided centre back to cover for him.
Players Released on 19:48 - May 10 with 4169 viewsoldmisery

Having occasionally seen Bidwell play for Brentford and for us over the past three years, I concur that he was a much better player in his previous incarnation. This could be due to a number of factors, the most probable of which are having little defensive support from which ever left sided midfielder he had in front of him, mostly having Lynch to the right of him and there being (pre-Manning) no viable alternative players in his position - thus little incentive for him to put in the kind of shift that ensures you keep your place in the team.
Having mostly played at full back myself, hundreds of years ago, I tend to look at them more than any other position and in my opinion he is a bang average Championship left back and a poor left wing back. Whilst not offending me enough to be my personal bete noire (that's reserved for Lynch) I hope he doesn't re-sign for us but given the Warburton connection, I suspect he may do so.
Players Released on 20:52 - May 10 with 4037 viewscolinallcars

Players Released on 19:48 - May 10 by oldmisery

Having occasionally seen Bidwell play for Brentford and for us over the past three years, I concur that he was a much better player in his previous incarnation. This could be due to a number of factors, the most probable of which are having little defensive support from which ever left sided midfielder he had in front of him, mostly having Lynch to the right of him and there being (pre-Manning) no viable alternative players in his position - thus little incentive for him to put in the kind of shift that ensures you keep your place in the team.
Having mostly played at full back myself, hundreds of years ago, I tend to look at them more than any other position and in my opinion he is a bang average Championship left back and a poor left wing back. Whilst not offending me enough to be my personal bete noire (that's reserved for Lynch) I hope he doesn't re-sign for us but given the Warburton connection, I suspect he may do so.

I don't think Bidders ever let us down. He always worked hard especially when Holloway played three at the back. Manning has been excellent as LB but it's not his favoured position. I'd be quite pleased if Bidwell stayed more so ifhe took a paycut.
Players Released on 21:40 - May 10 with 3954 viewsterryb

I'm another ex left back (at the tail end of my playing days) who has been disappointed with the displays of Jake Bidwell, although I can't fault him on his effort & committment

Having said that, I think this has been by far his best season for Rangers. However, we have looked better in that position since Ryan Manning occupied that birth.

Fifteen years ago we had a good Division One left back who wasn't quite upto the requirements of the top end of the Championship (current terminology used), but Gino Padula was a better defender & better attacker than Bidwell has been for us.

This is the criteria I think I would use as to whether to offer contracts to our players that are in line to leave us. Is Lynch as good as Carlisle or Shitu? Is Wsozlek (still not certain how to spell his name after all this time) better than Ainsworrth or Rowlands? Is Baptiste anywhere as good as Bignot?

Although he is not out of contract, you can also ask whether Smith is more productive than Furlong?

I'm not sure where I'm going with this post, but for me this season's senior players were not as good as what we had in 2004/05 but better than we performed in 2005/06 (after the boardroom gun incident). I'm sure though, that better players will be available at a reduced cost than those that will be leaving.
[Post edited 10 May 2019 22:00]
Players Released on 00:16 - May 11 with 3789 viewsklonk

me neither... particularly given the non-criticism that pav's non-existent crossing skills get.

that said, if he really is on such a top-dollar wedge, then we really need to look for alternatives unless he is willing to take a reasonable paycut (which, arguably, he should be).
Players Released on 08:43 - May 11 with 3649 viewsPinnerPaul

So that's 3 different wages for Bidwell in this thread alone, which basically means nobody knows and it's probably less than everyone thinks.

Yep!
Players Released on 08:44 - May 11 with 3646 viewsPinnerPaul

Also, the players won't be on just one figure - they get win, appearance, goal bonuses etc on top
Players Released on 10:24 - May 11 with 3546 viewsqpr1976

Bidwell - Just offer him £10k a week. If he can’t live on £500k+ a year or feels he can get better elsewhere (I strongly doubt he can) then fair play, his choice.
He knows we did similar to Ned and I’m not sure he’s earning the same in US as he did with us.
Players Released on 10:26 - May 11 with 3541 viewsGloucs_R

Players Released on 10:24 - May 11 by qpr1976

Bidwell - Just offer him £10k a week. If he can’t live on £500k+ a year or feels he can get better elsewhere (I strongly doubt he can) then fair play, his choice.
He knows we did similar to Ned and I’m not sure he’s earning the same in US as he did with us.

Not sure if offer him that.

£6k plus win bonus

Players Released on 10:38 - May 11 with 3523 viewsDorse

Players Released on 14:40 - May 10 by smegma

How is he going to assess players?

Firstly, there is the talent competition, then the swimsuit round and, in the event of a tie, there is the monkey knife fight.

[Post edited 11 May 2019 10:43]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Players Released on 12:40 - May 11 with 3441 viewsTW_R

Players Released on 08:44 - May 11 by PinnerPaul

Also, the players won't be on just one figure - they get win, appearance, goal bonuses etc on top

I don’t think Bidewell will have had much of a boost in salary last season then.
Players Released on 22:44 - May 13 with 3087 viewsGloucs_R

Club tweet saying we'll all know by the end of the week

Players Released on 23:44 - May 13 with 2965 viewsjonno

Players Released on 10:24 - May 11 by qpr1976

If it's true that the average salary in the Championship is 8k per week then that is far too much. I would offer him perhaps 6k - certainly no more than 8k. Difficult to believe we couldn't get somebody at least as good for that kind of wage, quite possibly better. If we can't I can't see Bidwell getting more anywhere else.
Players Released on 10:21 - May 14 with 2737 viewsAntti_Heinola

Players Released on 18:26 - May 10 by Northernr

We know we're overpaying. Salaries at £30m last season, Preston paid £13m. MIllwall came for Smith in January, couldn't afford the wage. We've made great strides, wage bill was £80m when Les/Hoos started, but we still massively overpay.

Wonder what it was this season? Robbo, Ned, Perch and Smithies going would've saved minimum 6m i'd have thought.

The BFG salary source is a scurrilous rumour on twitter designed to be a smear of Les/Hoos IMO. The way they have been cutting I simply cannot believe he is paid anything like 20k (some even saying 30k, which is obviously bollocks).

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024