Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transfer window - one more gamble? 19:23 - Dec 26 with 2506 viewsstuabd

We've spent loads, we've got players on big contracts and we've got a lot of players. Bottom of the table.

Will Tony have one more gamble this season and give Harry a sizeable chunk to spend?

I think it's a bad idea, but I think Tony will roll the dice again in a desperate attempt to get 17th place.
Transfer window - one more gamble? on 21:18 - Dec 26 with 750 viewsNeil_SI

The problem the club has, is even if they want to gamble, who will want to come?

Realistically they can only sign established players on loan. If you look around, who could those be? Robbie Keane has been mentioned, but he wouldn't be here for the whole duration, so that's a problem.

Jermaine Pennant might be worth a look in, who is on loan in the Championship but out of favour at Stoke. That's if they were willing to let us have him, but he might be an option.

From there, I'm struggling to see who would want to come to Rangers, but you never know? The only other players willing to come would be those on free transfers and short term deals until the end of the season, but again, there aren't too many of those around.

That leaves the club in a position of trying to buy players with a point to prove, perhaps some high flying Championship based ones that if they do well, may become sellable assets if we don't survive, or happy to be a part of a rebuilding programme and who would benefit from some Premiership level experience.

So while people do not like the idea of Ben Tal-Haim and Nicolas Anelka, it may just be because no one else is willing or silly enough to come here at this present moment of time.

With Fabio at the club, we can only take one other Premier League player on loan, so it will have to be from elsewhere.

Most importantly the club has to be honest with itself. I think it should try and move some on before doing anything rash, though if they want to gamble, like Harry Redknapp says, they have to do it fast and early and not at the end of the window.
Transfer window - one more gamble? on 21:31 - Dec 26 with 737 viewsQPRDave

Transfer window - one more gamble? on 20:34 - Dec 26 by ted_hendrix

O.K. taking on board what you say;

a) The second WBA goal was a foul on our GK and should have been chalked off, some people might disagree.
b) We should have had a penalty late on again some people might disagree.

Over the other 90 odd minutes of football I thought WBA were the better team.

The stats are what they are and yes you could say that we've been robbed of a couple of decisions.
This Is just my opinion mind but I don't think we are good enough to stay up, we're basically pissing in the wind and marking time.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

I agree with you it does feel like we're marking time, until Harry can get the chance to play a striker up front with a bit of enthusiasm we have nothing going forward, jan can't come quick enough. Just painful to watch at the moment
Transfer window - one more gamble? on 21:31 - Dec 26 with 737 viewsderbyhoop

The last sentence sums it up for me. Start trying to shift as many as possible. The only ones I would refuse to sell at this point are Nelsen, Hill, Mackie and Cisse.

If we can get somebody in who has a point to prove, is prepared to take a sensible basic wage, and doesn't want a long term , PL level football guaranteed, contract, then maybe we can bring 1 or 2 in. But only when we've shifted some of those we don't want.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Transfer window - one more gamble? on 21:42 - Dec 26 with 720 viewsJamie

Of course HR will spend, big time too.

He'll be gone in the summer anyway whether we stay up or not. (IMO).
Transfer window - one more gamble? on 21:50 - Dec 26 with 712 viewsTHEBUSH

The only way we should buy, is one in and one out !!
If we can't get rid of anyone, loans only then !!
Transfer window - one more gamble? on 21:57 - Dec 26 with 703 viewsNeil_SI

Transfer window - one more gamble? on 21:31 - Dec 26 by derbyhoop

The last sentence sums it up for me. Start trying to shift as many as possible. The only ones I would refuse to sell at this point are Nelsen, Hill, Mackie and Cisse.

If we can get somebody in who has a point to prove, is prepared to take a sensible basic wage, and doesn't want a long term , PL level football guaranteed, contract, then maybe we can bring 1 or 2 in. But only when we've shifted some of those we don't want.

I would personally look to move on several players, but we need a sensible plan.

DJ Campbell, Jay Bothroyd, Rob Hulse and Angelo Balanta are all out on loan, whereas Luke Young is unregistered and probably not fit yet along with Radek Cerny and Ben Tal Haim has been training with us for a few weeks and is available on a free transfer.

Those players represent some form of cover in the event we can't replace outgoing players with the type of quality we want.

But I'd consider moving on permanently or on loan, José Boswingwa, Kieron Dyer, Esteban Granero, Ji-Sung Park, one of Rob Green or Julio Cesar and possible Djibril Cissé depending on who came in and more because I think he's unsettled and probably wants away. I can't see anybody taking Bobby Zamora because he's injured, so expect him to come back into the fold.

And we have one free spot with Andrew Johnson being out injured for the season, which you would assume DJ Campbell would be his direct replacement.

The older players who are doing well, their futures would need to be considered at the end of the season or the one after. Father time will catch up on several of them, whether we are in the Premier League or Championship, so if the club was sensible, it would already have a long term strategy in place for what to do when that time comes.
Transfer window - one more gamble? on 22:03 - Dec 26 with 691 viewsNW5Hoop

Transfer window - one more gamble? on 20:10 - Dec 26 by QPRDave

So officials decisions have no bearing on a game?
We had 17 shots to their 11 of which we had 5 on target to their 4
We had 14 corners to their 9
possession ? 50/50
The poor decisions robbed QPR imo

How many of our corners and shots were in the last 10 minutes of the game, though? We had, what, five corners in injury time alone? The end was our only period of pressure.
Transfer window - one more gamble? on 22:10 - Dec 26 with 678 viewsbaz_qpr

Listening to Dermot Gallagher on Talk Sport this evening he said he thought both decisions were clearly wrong
Login to get fewer ads

Transfer window - one more gamble? on 22:13 - Dec 26 with 675 viewswittle

Transfer window - one more gamble? on 22:10 - Dec 26 by baz_qpr

Listening to Dermot Gallagher on Talk Sport this evening he said he thought both decisions were clearly wrong

dont let this distract from the fact we did nothing for the majority of the game.
Transfer window - one more gamble? on 22:17 - Dec 26 with 670 viewsbaz_qpr

Transfer window - one more gamble? on 22:13 - Dec 26 by wittle

dont let this distract from the fact we did nothing for the majority of the game.

No I dont disagree but I dont thing we were set up well today, I've seen this so many times this season already where we set up 4-4-2 opposition sets up 4-2-3-1 man marks adel and presses us high up the pitch, bingo game won. We only came alive when harry switiched to and attacking 3-5-2 we then matched them up in midfield and had a partnership up front that started to cause trouble
Transfer window - one more gamble? on 22:20 - Dec 26 with 663 viewsTHEBUSH

Although the match statistics don't agree with what your saying ?
Transfer window - one more gamble? on 22:24 - Dec 26 with 653 viewswittle

Transfer window - one more gamble? on 22:20 - Dec 26 by THEBUSH

Although the match statistics don't agree with what your saying ?

those stats came about through 10 minutes of late pressure,if you think that 1st half performance was exceptable for a side battling for survival then more fool you.
Transfer window - one more gamble? on 22:26 - Dec 26 with 648 viewsbaz_qpr

Transfer window - one more gamble? on 22:24 - Dec 26 by wittle

those stats came about through 10 minutes of late pressure,if you think that 1st half performance was exceptable for a side battling for survival then more fool you.

Down to Harry, Fixed by Harry in the 60th minute probably 30 minutes too late. Rob Greens goal knocked the stuffing out of us for any changes he may have made at half time
Transfer window - one more gamble? on 23:09 - Dec 26 with 629 viewsQPRDave

But my point is whether we did nothing for the majority of the game or not is immaterial, that's what makes the 2 decisions harder to take. We were awful but WBA still didn't put us to the sword, it was that decision that has given them 3 points and robbed us of a point
Transfer window - one more gamble? on 23:14 - Dec 26 with 622 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

Transfer window - one more gamble? on 21:07 - Dec 26 by Gloucs_R

Is being in the Prem all its cracked up to be anyway? After the past two seasons I'd be happier challenging for the Championship every season.

Top 6 in the Championship and the odd cup run or bottom 5 of the Prem every season?

^^^
I really do wonder some times

(cup run though, )

It's got to be Yarg

Transfer window - one more gamble? on 23:28 - Dec 26 with 594 viewsrosseeles

My take on the original topic....one more gamble in the hope of staying up? Easy, hell no.

I think it's safe to say, the squad as it is will go down, Hughes (who assembled a lot of it and should take a large share of the blame) Harry , Alex ferguson....any manger you want to name couldn't keep this team up. The issues started with the rushed take over / warnock panic buying session and then was followed up nicely by mark Hughes using his football manager buy anyone tactic (unfortunately in real life you can't add a new player, choose man utd and then have them buy rob hulse for 10 million.....)

So the only option is to buy more and with the squad we have, wages we pay currently, that in my mind is suicide.

As I've said in another post get young and dj back in the squad, get a cb and cf in on loan and we can still have a go...I doubt we'll stay up but should we not , at least we won't be twisting the knife that's already in our back. We should also try and shift what we can out (granero is prob our best bet, great player, wrong place for him...and he's still saleable) to ease any relegation burden.

I hope Tony doesn't see a glimmer of hope and again splash the cash , I like tony I really do, he's what I want in an owner, passionate, wears his heart on his sleeve , happy to buy players (just needs to say no sometimes) however he needs a good football person alongside him, someone to reign him in and help him use some of his considerable business talents in the right areas.

Transfer window - one more gamble? on 02:21 - Dec 27 with 540 viewsQuillPenRiot

Transfer window - one more gamble? on 19:45 - Dec 26 by Gloucs_R

No gamble for me. We are down, simple as. Sell as many as you can and start to put a team in place who will challenge for the Championship. I think this could be the starting XI next season

Green
Young / Onouha / Nelsen / Traore
Mackie / Diakite / Faurlin / Hoillet
DJ / AJ

Cesar, Bosignwa, Mbia, Cisse, Tarbs, Zamora, Barton all gone

This

BUT...Will Harry accept adding another relegation to his CV? Has TF committed too much in the Hughes handbasket to commit sensibly, this time, to a real long term vision? Will the board let him if he did? Who the hell is making decisions anyway? Did Harry revealing Bosingwa's salary cause TF to lose face?

edited that I wouldn't mind adding young talent this window that would be happy to play for us next year in the championship
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Transfer window - one more gamble? on 05:05 - Dec 27 with 514 viewsBeaufort27

Transfer window - one more gamble? on 19:52 - Dec 26 by baz_qpr

teams that do that aka Bolton , Wolves etc never come back up, its only those that retain the some premiership quality e.g West Ham, Newcastle that do.

Well we don't have any premiership quality players so theres that problem solved!

Realistically though when you get relegated you are going to lose some key players. It's just the way of the world.

When we go down i fully expect the likes of Zamora, Bosingwa, Granero, Taarabt, Hoilett and Mbia to want to leave. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of either Hill, Nelson, or Dyer retire. I'm not sure who's contracts are up at the end of this year but they will no doubt be released to trim the wage bill. That's a lot of activity for one transfer window, and then we'd be beset with the same problems that we had at the beginning of the last two seasons: A vastly changed squad that takes to long to gell. So i'd say that getting as many of the previously mentioned names out of the door now and replacing them with people who we'll want in the championship would be a good idea.
Transfer window - one more gamble? on 09:36 - Dec 27 with 482 viewsnadera78

Transfer window - one more gamble? on 20:02 - Dec 26 by komradkirk

sell,sell, sell

Not may players we can sell really, who'd want them? Lots that will demand a pay off though. Maybe if we get the 5.5million rumoured for Granero then we'll use that to get shot of the likes of Bosingwa, Green, Cesar, Ferdinnd, etc. I'd rather give Ehmer a few games at the end of the year and prepare him for the Championship than continue to watch Anton blasting the ball at teammates from short range or standing five yards from the man he's marking.

Having said that, about a dozen people insisted yesterday that Fat Frank was definitely on his way. Handing out huge contracts when on the verge of relegation is just the sort of insane thing our club would do.
Transfer window - one more gamble? on 10:04 - Dec 27 with 461 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Redknapp and his agent will spend. You have to speculate to accumulate, after all.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Transfer window - one more gamble? on 10:13 - Dec 27 with 448 viewsadhoc_qpr

The sensible thing to do is get rid of any high earners we can find a taker for, make a few modest loan to buy signings in the right positions and reintegrate Young, DJ Campbell and probably even Bothroyd back into the squad.

What a panic stricken TF will do is give Redknapp free rein to bring in no hopers like Robbie Keane and then waste weeks trying to buy players like Loic Remy and Frank Lampard who have no interest in a small, relegation doomed club, before splashing out another £10m plus on some other clubs unmotivated rejects on big contracts.

Queue relegation and a massive financial clusterf*ck!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024