Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing 19:38 - Jul 19 with 8787 viewsNorthernr

All your Greg Spires analysis and video clips here within...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/62659
As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 19:58 - Jul 19 with 5592 viewsterryb

Thank you Clive.

I can't remember a summer when I've been as pleased with our transfers as this. We just need them to work now!
As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 20:01 - Jul 19 with 5564 viewsOakR

Absolutely, and all so early as well.

Poll: Will we stay up?

As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 20:04 - Jul 19 with 5543 viewsNorthernr

As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 19:58 - Jul 19 by terryb

Thank you Clive.

I can't remember a summer when I've been as pleased with our transfers as this. We just need them to work now!

Big ask for them all to come and slip into the Championship though given their backgrounds.
Mind you the bedrock of Cook, Colback etc helps mitigate that to a certain extent.
As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 20:31 - Jul 19 with 5317 viewsAntti_Heinola

Mmmyeah, I'm not overly excited. But the reasons for that are amply explained in Clive's review there: we're so bad at this, I'm assuming it's another Adam Czerkas until I see otherwise.

For those proclaiming Armstrong and Willock's sideways moves as 'only for the money', witness player who would have been playing CL football fairly soon swapping that for a team that was 2 games away from playing in the third tier. Maybe we didn't tell him about the tax differences between here and Switzerland.

My other caveat is, and thanks to Spiresey for his superb analysis as usual, the defending in those clips looks basically non-existent. I remember when we signed Washington I watched his 15 goals he'd scored that season and at the back of my mind a little voice was saying 'y'know, about 12 of these the keeper should have saved and any championship keeper would definitely have saved them', before telling my brain to shut up so I could get back to killing it with beer. Slightly similar vibes on those clips.

HOWEVER, I am, despite all that, still hopeful, and best of luck to him, and hope he gets an early goal to give him some confidence.

PS - I reckon when Clive is 90 he'll still be upset we never signed Mendonca.

Bare bones.

As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 20:34 - Jul 19 with 5282 viewsNorthantsHoop

Much more positive about the coming season than I have been for quite a few seasons.
As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 20:42 - Jul 19 with 5215 viewsRangersw12

Do find it a bit strange that there hasn't been any quotes from Marti about this signing

Don't know anything about him but little bit worried about the comment that he doesn't create much by himself

Looking forward to seeing him in action though and we will have to give him time to bed in
As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 20:45 - Jul 19 with 5170 viewsdmm

Thanks Clive and Greg. I hope you've got the Jonathan Varane piece ready to go. I like him too.
As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing (n/t) on 20:47 - Jul 19 with 5150 viewsdmm

As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 20:42 - Jul 19 by Rangersw12

Do find it a bit strange that there hasn't been any quotes from Marti about this signing

Don't know anything about him but little bit worried about the comment that he doesn't create much by himself

Looking forward to seeing him in action though and we will have to give him time to bed in

[Post edited 19 Jul 20:48]
Login to get fewer ads

As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 20:47 - Jul 19 with 5147 viewsNorthernr

As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 20:31 - Jul 19 by Antti_Heinola

Mmmyeah, I'm not overly excited. But the reasons for that are amply explained in Clive's review there: we're so bad at this, I'm assuming it's another Adam Czerkas until I see otherwise.

For those proclaiming Armstrong and Willock's sideways moves as 'only for the money', witness player who would have been playing CL football fairly soon swapping that for a team that was 2 games away from playing in the third tier. Maybe we didn't tell him about the tax differences between here and Switzerland.

My other caveat is, and thanks to Spiresey for his superb analysis as usual, the defending in those clips looks basically non-existent. I remember when we signed Washington I watched his 15 goals he'd scored that season and at the back of my mind a little voice was saying 'y'know, about 12 of these the keeper should have saved and any championship keeper would definitely have saved them', before telling my brain to shut up so I could get back to killing it with beer. Slightly similar vibes on those clips.

HOWEVER, I am, despite all that, still hopeful, and best of luck to him, and hope he gets an early goal to give him some confidence.

To my grave.

Also, in addition to the defending, I reckon I might be able to keep goal in that league.

This post has been edited by an administrator
As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 20:51 - Jul 19 with 5112 viewsslmrstid

I always felt, and still do, that Seb Polter was better than people gave him credit for. And Sylla had a fairly decent goals:minutes played ratio. Their biggest problems was our radical swerve in manager types in their time at the club.

Matt Smith as well in fairness I thought was better than given credit for.

And Shankland is an interesting one - we didn't go for him for whatever reason but nor has anyone else in England, and perhaps tellingly, the Old Firm haven't either. And when it comes to Scotland Dykes gets picked ahead of him. So he might be one who's a good goalscorer at his level, but actually people higher up the game think he can't cut it on all round play. And we've seen before quite a few times now how big goalscorers at lower levels can't replicate that in the Championship - Will Grigg on fire anyone?
As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 21:12 - Jul 19 with 4945 viewshubble

Well I think this is a fantastic signing and I am excited!

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 21:30 - Jul 19 with 4824 viewsPunteR

We'll see.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 21:36 - Jul 19 with 4785 viewsDorse

Should we break out the #pisstheleague memes?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 21:40 - Jul 19 with 4746 viewsstevec

Well, fingers crossed.

Does anyone know if the Allen family still produce offspring?
As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 21:47 - Jul 19 with 4702 viewsMyke

Cheers Clive and Greg.
if Dykes stays I wonder is that it in terms of strikers? Probably unreasonable for a mid-table ( hopefully) 2 tier team to have more than 3 senior forwards
As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 22:12 - Jul 19 with 4560 viewsFearless

Here you go Clive

As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 22:19 - Jul 19 with 4486 viewsDylanP

Thanks Clive. Great writing, great analysis as always

Is it optimistic cynicism? Or hopeful skepticism?

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 22:22 - Jul 19 with 4465 viewsNorthernr

As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 22:12 - Jul 19 by Fearless

Here you go Clive

Well that’s my Saturday night viewing sorted. What a film.
As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 22:28 - Jul 19 with 4425 viewsaston_hoop

Latte Lath came out of a 14 goal season in the Swiss league to score 16 for Boro last season, albeit it took him 4 or 5 months to get going and in that early game against us he looked comically bad.

Either way, lets give him time and see what we've got on our hands!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 22:32 - Jul 19 with 4391 viewsEalingHoop81

As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 20:31 - Jul 19 by Antti_Heinola

Some very good points Antti and it’s the hope that kills you.

Positives from me: the actual first team players we have released/sold or expired: Dozell, Willock, Armstrong, Begovic, Adomah (Kakay perhaps) added very little to points on the board last year. Dozell and Begovic’s stats wise cost us especially. So from the side that played the second half of the season with play off form, it’s really only a new GK, Colback in for Hayden and a replacement for Willock that we are looking at.

Each of the signings we’ve made could obviously go wrong and the odds on all working out are low, however a key difference between this and a Bonne, Sylla, Washington etc is the way in which we have picked these players. If my understanding is correct, these aren’t mates of scouts or managers picks, watching a few tapes etc, they are based on the data analytics team identifying targets and chasing a range of players that suit those metrics. That won’t always work as they need the right physicality for the Champ, the right mental attitude and to be the right sort etc….but it’s a lot more scientific that a player the manager has signed before, that he’s great on FIFA, he’s played for him before or his agent is the one we always go to etc.

I’m really positive about the coming season. Cleared out a lot of deadwood in players that don’t want to be here or aren’t good enough to be here. We’ve brought in a range of young players who may develop for the future, banging on about a pathway and signed some exciting left field players who could and probably should be better than their predecessors. It’s not that hard mind….Celar needs 4 goals and 3 assists to be statistically better and the GK needs to not have an overall record of costing us 6 goals to be an improvement !!!!!!!
As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 23:19 - Jul 19 with 4130 viewsrbee

Watching one of the videos Celar is scoring comfortably with both feet and his head. He is mobile and finding spaces.

An exciting signing.
As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 01:21 - Jul 20 with 3833 viewsjohncharles

Business done early shows that this has been planned and thought out. Now that’s encouraging 👍🤣

Strong and stable my arse.

As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 03:19 - Jul 20 with 3671 viewsnumptydumpty

He looks quite lean and with some pace and quick decision making.

The defending he will face in the championship is far superior to what I see on these clips.

But with facing Cook and hopefully JCS in training hoping he can learn.

Would like to see clips of his faux pas's, to see what he does wrong also, which we are not seeing here.

He looks lean and fit, which a great deal of our number nines in recent years have been far from this.

If this form transfers to the championship which I am sure is a far superior league then great,

Fits the mould for the way the club are wanting to play under Marti and a different type of forward to Frey or Dykes. Liking the pens also.

Seems a sensible punt.

Comes across as focused in his interview too.

And slightly aloof which I like.

Good luck chap.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 04:50 - Jul 20 with 3613 viewsSydneyRs

As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 22:32 - Jul 19 by EalingHoop81

Some very good points Antti and it’s the hope that kills you.

Positives from me: the actual first team players we have released/sold or expired: Dozell, Willock, Armstrong, Begovic, Adomah (Kakay perhaps) added very little to points on the board last year. Dozell and Begovic’s stats wise cost us especially. So from the side that played the second half of the season with play off form, it’s really only a new GK, Colback in for Hayden and a replacement for Willock that we are looking at.

Each of the signings we’ve made could obviously go wrong and the odds on all working out are low, however a key difference between this and a Bonne, Sylla, Washington etc is the way in which we have picked these players. If my understanding is correct, these aren’t mates of scouts or managers picks, watching a few tapes etc, they are based on the data analytics team identifying targets and chasing a range of players that suit those metrics. That won’t always work as they need the right physicality for the Champ, the right mental attitude and to be the right sort etc….but it’s a lot more scientific that a player the manager has signed before, that he’s great on FIFA, he’s played for him before or his agent is the one we always go to etc.

I’m really positive about the coming season. Cleared out a lot of deadwood in players that don’t want to be here or aren’t good enough to be here. We’ve brought in a range of young players who may develop for the future, banging on about a pathway and signed some exciting left field players who could and probably should be better than their predecessors. It’s not that hard mind….Celar needs 4 goals and 3 assists to be statistically better and the GK needs to not have an overall record of costing us 6 goals to be an improvement !!!!!!!

On top of all that, the departures have also created some significant space in the club's wage bill I would have thought. Might help with getting any loans in.
As one door closes, a Celar door opens – Signing on 05:01 - Jul 20 with 3600 viewsderbyhoop

All the transfer dealings so far seem to result from a professional approach to recruitment. It's unlikely that they all work out but, ATM, it's positive.
I think Hevertton will be a replacement for Willock; Celar a step up from Armstrong. Morrison is intriguing (JCS moving on?) and Bennie has potential.
The only area where I think we're still short is a DCM. Field and Colback won't play 46, probably due to suspensions. We'd like Hayden back but there's a big compromise to be made on wages. Could EDB, Alfie Tuck or Harry Murphy step up?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024