Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 2003 escape documentary 07:43 - May 4 with 1958 viewsmagicdaps10

Watched it yesterday, was decent enough.

Looking back, they showed a few league tables as the season progressed and we really should have been out of that mess earlier and it shouldn't have gone to the last game all things taken in.
Flynn has been hailed as some saviour and yes to a degree but it appears he spent very little time down in the City during that time.....would we have been out of the mess earlier if he had!?

Massive up to Leon, might have heard at the time but my memory can't recall but Brotton turned down a massive payout to honour his remaining 12 months at WHU to sign for us as per Flynn.

Worth a watch if you have a spare hour or so.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

The 2003 escape documentary on 08:35 - May 4 with 1908 viewsTim_Harry

I thought it was an excellent documentary. Some of the interviews brought the memories back. I found it quite amusing that I wasn't the only one thinking "what are you doing?" when James Thomas decided to shoot early instead of take it on further. Never been more happy to be proven wrong!

I also had my doubts about Flynn. Don't get me wrong, I will be forever grateful for the job that was done to get us out of that mess, but I think there was more to it than Flynn pulling off a miracle.

Probably his best contribution was insisting on bringing Reeves with him. It was well known that he had an excellent eye for emerging players, and that was clearly the reason why Flynn wouldn't do the job without him. The quality of signings is what saved us that season, and for that we have Reeves to thank.

In the following season I remember Flynn making some very questionable tactical decisions. Anyone remember the lopsided formation that involved two strikers and one winger? We never had any ball-winners in the side and lacked any real spine.

I remember Kenny Jackett came in and had quite an easy time improving things. Hard to believe that putting KOL in midfield could cause such an improvement in the balance of the team.

In short, Flynn as a manager without Reeves's assistance would have been a disaster in my view.
The 2003 escape documentary on 09:51 - May 4 with 1863 viewsmagicdaps10

The 2003 escape documentary on 08:35 - May 4 by Tim_Harry

I thought it was an excellent documentary. Some of the interviews brought the memories back. I found it quite amusing that I wasn't the only one thinking "what are you doing?" when James Thomas decided to shoot early instead of take it on further. Never been more happy to be proven wrong!

I also had my doubts about Flynn. Don't get me wrong, I will be forever grateful for the job that was done to get us out of that mess, but I think there was more to it than Flynn pulling off a miracle.

Probably his best contribution was insisting on bringing Reeves with him. It was well known that he had an excellent eye for emerging players, and that was clearly the reason why Flynn wouldn't do the job without him. The quality of signings is what saved us that season, and for that we have Reeves to thank.

In the following season I remember Flynn making some very questionable tactical decisions. Anyone remember the lopsided formation that involved two strikers and one winger? We never had any ball-winners in the side and lacked any real spine.

I remember Kenny Jackett came in and had quite an easy time improving things. Hard to believe that putting KOL in midfield could cause such an improvement in the balance of the team.

In short, Flynn as a manager without Reeves's assistance would have been a disaster in my view.

The lopsided formation, think that was used in that near miss season.
I think the momentum carried on in the following season but when the weather changed then so did that momentum.

It was a great story, a nervous time and all adds to the story but looking back.....we should never have been going into that last game needing a win to stay up.
I will put my head on the line here and say that if Flynn had moved to the city then we would have done it with a few games to spare.

The 2003 escape documentary on 10:05 - May 4 with 1852 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

If we’d got to safety with lots of games spare we wouldn’t be talking about it now.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

The 2003 escape documentary on 10:20 - May 4 with 1846 viewsmagicdaps10

The 2003 escape documentary on 10:05 - May 4 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

If we’d got to safety with lots of games spare we wouldn’t be talking about it now.

And arguably there would never have been the catapult of success that followed leading to us getting into the Premier league.

All good discussion points.

The 2003 escape documentary on 11:13 - May 4 with 1825 viewsBoundy

The 2003 escape documentary on 10:05 - May 4 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

And that's why following the Swans has been an adventure , how many other Clubs and I include them lot up the road has such an memorable recent history as ours .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The 2003 escape documentary on 11:59 - May 4 with 1807 viewswhiterock

Brilliant documentary, well done the media department

As for Flynny, he brought in the players to get us out of a hole and set the foundations for us to push on, Tate, Johnrose, Martinez and Britton.

His downfall was that he refused to move to the area, he would come down Tuesday to Saturday tea time and he'd be off back to Burnley, at the time we had a youngish, impressionable squad, who had a penchant for Wind St, when the cat was a away the mouse(s) went to play.
The 2003 escape documentary on 12:19 - May 4 with 1794 viewsDr_Winston

The lopsided formation was very much evident in that season. James Thomas scored something like 12 goals in the first 15 or so games. Flynn stuck him out wide and the goals dried up. He put him back upfront for the Hull game.

Whoever enabled him to replace huge chunks of the squad mid season played far more of a role in our survival than Flynn, a poor manager overall who is held in oddly high regard in some quarters.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The 2003 escape documentary on 16:31 - May 4 with 1680 viewsBadlands

Flynn was imo a good manager.
His work with the Wales under 21s really set the scene for the senior team improvement later on.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Login to get fewer ads

The 2003 escape documentary on 17:43 - May 4 with 1636 viewsDr_Winston

The 2003 escape documentary on 16:31 - May 4 by Badlands

Flynn was imo a good manager.
His work with the Wales under 21s really set the scene for the senior team improvement later on.

He was bone idle. A part time job probably suits him better.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The 2003 escape documentary on 18:05 - May 4 with 1597 viewsdeepdale81

Come January 25th,the Swans were on 18 points,They played Lincoln and Kevin Nugent scored twice I think to win 2 0,then Martinez signed ,they drew with Rushden live on sky on the !st of February and beat Darlington 1 0 on the 4th (Nugent again).Then they beat Macclesfield away 3-1,All in all they took 31 points from the last 20 games.
I remember The Oxford game when Leon Britton went off injured early on and Gareth Phillips came on and played a stormer and we won 3-2.
The 2003 escape documentary on 19:05 - May 4 with 1551 viewsKeithHaynes

I was at the Rochdale game with the MAGS, a load of us stayed over in Manchester and didn’t get home until late the next day.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

The 2003 escape documentary on 19:29 - May 4 with 1528 viewsDr_Winston

The 2003 escape documentary on 11:59 - May 4 by whiterock

Brilliant documentary, well done the media department

As for Flynny, he brought in the players to get us out of a hole and set the foundations for us to push on, Tate, Johnrose, Martinez and Britton.

His downfall was that he refused to move to the area, he would come down Tuesday to Saturday tea time and he'd be off back to Burnley, at the time we had a youngish, impressionable squad, who had a penchant for Wind St, when the cat was a away the mouse(s) went to play.

I think it says a lot that even Lee Trundle, who more than most would have had reason to adore Flynn, gave Kenny Jackett the credit for turning him into a truly professional footballer.

The 2003 escape documentary on 19:39 - May 4 with 1516 viewsKeithHaynes

Tatey talking about Flynny, Giggsy etc.

Not Brittony though.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

The 2003 escape documentary on 21:01 - May 4 with 1469 viewsswan_si

The 2003 escape documentary on 19:39 - May 4 by KeithHaynes

Tatey talking about Flynny, Giggsy etc.

Not Brittony though.

Cringey
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024