Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SACK Bentley! 16:48 - Feb 18 with 31125 viewsClivert

It is literally our last roll of the dice now!
SACK Bentley! on 15:16 - Feb 22 with 4169 viewsTalkingSutty

SACK Bentley! on 15:11 - Feb 22 by Sheffield_dale

Askey will no doubt return to York.

Hill was awful at Scunthorpe. The fans hated him.

We won't attract big name managers (for that level) so we need someone who understands the club from day one. Hopefully "day one" is soon.

This is why Ellis is the choice for me. Put EBJ on gardening leave and give Ellis a pay rise with the remit of structuring the club/academy under one umbrella. Sensible, cost-effective and sustainable if admittedly uninspiring. At least it's not a complete unknown.

Well we'll agree to disagree. I hope we get somebody who will lift the club and the fans. Somebody who knows his way around the lower leagues and has a track record of management at this level and has plenty of contacts.
SACK Bentley! on 15:17 - Feb 22 with 4161 viewsAtThePeake

SACK Bentley! on 14:49 - Feb 22 by TalkingSutty

Thanks for cleaing that up. It's only my opinion but somebody who has experience of the NL is imperative i think. Apparently the NL is full of battle hardened ex professionals and a lot of players who could play at a higher level but have other means of earning money away from football so they are happy to play at that level. Blooding youth players is very difficult due to the physical nature of the games. We've seen how Mularkey has just breezed into L2 football and there will be plenty of players of his standard in the NL. We are going to need a team that is equipped to face the physical challenge and a manager who knows what is needed, blooding youth team players because they are doing well at their respective level might be a luxury we can only afford once we have found our feet. If we are going to sack Bentley now in order to install a caretaker manager from within until Summer i would rather keep Bentley, it's just causing more uncertainty.

Not sure those points re: the profile of player apply in the National League anymore TS. 21 out of 24 of the clubs in the National League this season are full-time, so those battle-hardened players will be current rather than ex-pros - but equally there aren't many players who are playing at that level part-time because they're earning money away from football anymore either.

Tangled up in blue.

SACK Bentley! on 15:23 - Feb 22 with 4131 viewsTalkingSutty

SACK Bentley! on 15:17 - Feb 22 by AtThePeake

Not sure those points re: the profile of player apply in the National League anymore TS. 21 out of 24 of the clubs in the National League this season are full-time, so those battle-hardened players will be current rather than ex-pros - but equally there aren't many players who are playing at that level part-time because they're earning money away from football anymore either.

Well Henderson was a full time pro but was managed by Hill in a way that accommodated his outside interests. There are players in the National League and below who do both and it's not cost effective for them to sign a full time contract, they are probably in the minority though.
SACK Bentley! on 15:39 - Feb 22 with 4038 viewsSaxonDale

Think depressingly, the lack of announcement on Bentley would suggest that he’s here for the rest of the season. Can only think that we simply can’t afford to sack him- not too sure how much that will change in the summer. What a mess.
SACK Bentley! on 15:40 - Feb 22 with 4033 viewsBrierls

SACK Bentley! on 15:15 - Feb 22 by Sheffield_dale

Because he has done an excellent job in his role at the club.

Because he isn't an unknown quantity like Coleman/Eyre/Bentley/Stockdale

Taking everything into account, including an inevitable club structure change, he may be the best and most realistic candidate. In my opinion of course 😇

You're right, Tony Ellis isn't an unknown quantity. He's made it known, on several occasions, that he doesn't wish to be considered for first team roles. That is why he's not been involved in a caretaker capacity. He wants to remain in that Academy setting.

If we lose our Academy as a result of being relegated, Tony Ellis will probably move on and do an excellent job at an Academy elsewhere. Which would be a shame.
SACK Bentley! on 15:50 - Feb 22 with 3991 viewsbluevein64

SACK Bentley! on 14:59 - Feb 22 by TalkingSutty

Agree. Askey is available and so is Hill. I don't understand why we would take such a massive gamble on Ellis, Mc Nulty or Henderson, even if they wanted the jobs in the first place. What credentials do they have at this level? None. At least Askey and Hill have experience and have enjoyed success and no doubt there will be others with credentials who would be interested. It would be crazy to even contemplate blooding a rookie manager at this time, the fact they have connections with the club is irrelevant.

There's been names of various potential JB replacements (Hill, Askey, Hendo etc) thrown into the hat by posters on this forum - it's seem that many consider JB as good as sacked however, has anyone considered the possibility that the board already have a new owner lined up whom may or may not have his/her JB replacement preference waiting in the wings!
Views and opinions welcome......
SACK Bentley! on 15:53 - Feb 22 with 3963 viewssurb_dale

SACK Bentley! on 15:39 - Feb 22 by SaxonDale

Think depressingly, the lack of announcement on Bentley would suggest that he’s here for the rest of the season. Can only think that we simply can’t afford to sack him- not too sure how much that will change in the summer. What a mess.

Does look that way. I just hope a relegation release clause was inserted in the contract with Bentley so that we can get rid once the inevitable is confirmed. I also hope that we have the right with some of the players that were given two year deals to at least pay them on reduced terms next season in the National League.

I expect by the time we play Crawley in a months time we'll be around 11 points from safety having played similar games so reasonable bet that relegation will be confirmed around the Bradford or Tranmere home games in mid-April.
SACK Bentley! on 15:54 - Feb 22 with 3956 viewsBrierls

SACK Bentley! on 15:50 - Feb 22 by bluevein64

There's been names of various potential JB replacements (Hill, Askey, Hendo etc) thrown into the hat by posters on this forum - it's seem that many consider JB as good as sacked however, has anyone considered the possibility that the board already have a new owner lined up whom may or may not have his/her JB replacement preference waiting in the wings!
Views and opinions welcome......

My view, and strong opinion, is that you're smoking rocks if you think there is an investor/new owner in advanced discussions with the club.
Login to get fewer ads

SACK Bentley! on 16:20 - Feb 22 with 3825 viewssweetcorn

SACK Bentley! on 15:54 - Feb 22 by Brierls

My view, and strong opinion, is that you're smoking rocks if you think there is an investor/new owner in advanced discussions with the club.

Qataris could be keeping their options open incase the glazers turn down their offer for united.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

SACK Bentley! on 16:25 - Feb 22 with 3792 views442Dale

SACK Bentley! on 15:54 - Feb 22 by Brierls

And even if there was, the Trust (as a significant shareholder) have made it clear to the club that there would need to be supporter/shareholder involvement:

https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2022/12/trust-statement-30-12-22/

<<“ We stated to the Board on Thursday that we believe any potential investor would need to meet with Shareholders and Supporters before any deal and we couldn’t have a situation where a statement suddenly appears on the Club’s website at 4pm on any one day stating that the Club has been sold.

The Club replied stating that it would be impossible for that to happen these days with the EFL rules on ownership, something that the EFL have tightened up on in recent years. The process now requires due diligence by the Club ahead of any such deal which would allow any investor to build up trust with the Supporters.”>>

With a Trust representative on the club board, the minute there is any potential investor, the process should be put in place to inform them and supporters of how a meeting would be set up.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

SACK Bentley! on 16:55 - Feb 22 with 3666 viewsThreeLions

SACK Bentley! on 15:40 - Feb 22 by Brierls

You're right, Tony Ellis isn't an unknown quantity. He's made it known, on several occasions, that he doesn't wish to be considered for first team roles. That is why he's not been involved in a caretaker capacity. He wants to remain in that Academy setting.

If we lose our Academy as a result of being relegated, Tony Ellis will probably move on and do an excellent job at an Academy elsewhere. Which would be a shame.

I wouldnt bother mate he's not listening I've tried to tell him twice and it's fallen on deaf ears
SACK Bentley! on 00:00 - Feb 23 with 3022 viewsDorkingDale

SACK Bentley! on 16:54 - Feb 18 by electricblue

How many managers have had that vote of confidence and then they are sacked!.

Only reason the board will not sack him due to finances....

100%. Sadly they have their backs against the wall.
SACK Bentley! on 20:38 - Feb 23 with 2547 viewsHullDale

If its a purely financial reason for not sacking Bentley, surely we're at a point of needing to find a way.

If the loans allow, send Seriki / Mellor / Adshead / Quigley / Eastwood / Dodgson back, and bring Sinclair back from Alty. Put Bentley on gardening leave, and use the money saved from the 6 loans to bring a caretaker in until the end of the season.

Prioritise playing the players who we know will be here next season, or the ones we would like to keep, no matter how painful it may be to watch (it can't be worse than it is now!) and fill the gaps with promising young players we have on the books.

If Bentley has a relegation release clause in his contract, & that is why we haven't sacked him, we're basically accepting relegation anyway. Why not find a way to get him out on gardening leave until that relegation happens, and use the remaining games as an advanced info gathering session for whoever the manager will be next season... play the players that'll be here and let the new man see what he has as a starting point for the squad.
SACK Bentley! on 21:09 - Feb 23 with 2426 viewsD_Alien

SACK Bentley! on 20:38 - Feb 23 by HullDale

If its a purely financial reason for not sacking Bentley, surely we're at a point of needing to find a way.

If the loans allow, send Seriki / Mellor / Adshead / Quigley / Eastwood / Dodgson back, and bring Sinclair back from Alty. Put Bentley on gardening leave, and use the money saved from the 6 loans to bring a caretaker in until the end of the season.

Prioritise playing the players who we know will be here next season, or the ones we would like to keep, no matter how painful it may be to watch (it can't be worse than it is now!) and fill the gaps with promising young players we have on the books.

If Bentley has a relegation release clause in his contract, & that is why we haven't sacked him, we're basically accepting relegation anyway. Why not find a way to get him out on gardening leave until that relegation happens, and use the remaining games as an advanced info gathering session for whoever the manager will be next season... play the players that'll be here and let the new man see what he has as a starting point for the squad.

if Bentley does have a relegation clause in his contract, relieving him of his duties now (by placing him on gardening leave) might invalidate it
[Post edited 23 Feb 2023 21:09]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

SACK Bentley! on 21:23 - Feb 23 with 2357 viewsHullDale

SACK Bentley! on 21:09 - Feb 23 by D_Alien

if Bentley does have a relegation clause in his contract, relieving him of his duties now (by placing him on gardening leave) might invalidate it
[Post edited 23 Feb 2023 21:09]

I'd been mulling that over, and got to the conclusion that 'gardening leave' isn't a contract termination or a permanent removal... its essentially an employer driven equivalent of annual leave (I know it isn't necessarily used like that).

I'd hope if there is a clause its strong enough to allow us to do that, even if we have to bring him back for a week at the end of the season to validate it.

Either that or let him take sick leave - he looked emotionally broken after Saturday.
SACK Bentley! on 21:30 - Feb 23 with 2319 viewsD_Alien

SACK Bentley! on 21:23 - Feb 23 by HullDale

I'd been mulling that over, and got to the conclusion that 'gardening leave' isn't a contract termination or a permanent removal... its essentially an employer driven equivalent of annual leave (I know it isn't necessarily used like that).

I'd hope if there is a clause its strong enough to allow us to do that, even if we have to bring him back for a week at the end of the season to validate it.

Either that or let him take sick leave - he looked emotionally broken after Saturday.

The key point surely has to be that he could argue (if push came to shove) whether the relegation happened on his watch. It's an argument the club (again) mightn't be able to afford, either financially or in terms of attention

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

SACK Bentley! on 21:57 - Feb 23 with 2234 viewsjonahwhereru

A scenario that I think would be worth a shot is if Southend get wound up in the courts on Monday.
Kevin Maher has done an excellent job on the field while trying to pick his way through a virtually endless transfer embargo, caused by the hapless chairman.
The team really struggled last season and they looked set for a treble relegation. Maher now has them in a good position. He gets results in a challenging league under near impossible circumstances.
If Southend go under I think we should try and swoop for Maher at the expense of EBJ. Maher won’t save us but would be a decent bet for next season.
SACK Bentley! on 11:14 - Feb 24 with 1779 viewsseasidedale

SACK Bentley! on 21:57 - Feb 23 by jonahwhereru

A scenario that I think would be worth a shot is if Southend get wound up in the courts on Monday.
Kevin Maher has done an excellent job on the field while trying to pick his way through a virtually endless transfer embargo, caused by the hapless chairman.
The team really struggled last season and they looked set for a treble relegation. Maher now has them in a good position. He gets results in a challenging league under near impossible circumstances.
If Southend go under I think we should try and swoop for Maher at the expense of EBJ. Maher won’t save us but would be a decent bet for next season.

I notice that Darren Kelly has left his director of football role at Newport, looking for an opportunity closer to home, hope it’s not him we are thinking of, his record at Oldham, Halifax and Hyde was worse that Bentley at each of these, didn’t last longer than 10 games (I think) at the first 2
SACK Bentley! on 11:45 - Feb 24 with 1667 viewsEllDale

Kelly's philosophy makes BBM look like an advocate of route one football.
SACK Bentley! on 13:14 - Feb 24 with 1488 viewsDorkingDale

SACK Bentley! on 16:20 - Feb 22 by sweetcorn

Qataris could be keeping their options open incase the glazers turn down their offer for united.

Maybe we should court Jim Ratcliffe if his bid fails..... . He might give up on the Premiership after losing out to Chelsea & Utd & it would give him a bit of Saturday afternoon entertainment in his Swiss mansion.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024