Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
gig ticket prices 15:51 - Dec 22 with 8901 viewsRangersDave

Thought i'd try and go see 'The Boss' (Springsteen) again before he really gets to old to gig, and he's doing 4/5 gigs in the UK in 2023.

I did see him at Man Citeh ground on the last tour, and paid £75 per ticket......

Imagine my surprise this time round.....£300 is the starting point per ticket! Sorry Bruce, but feck that,

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

gig ticket prices on 21:58 - Dec 22 with 2107 viewsNW5Hoop

gig ticket prices on 19:49 - Dec 22 by queensparker

My missus got a freebie to Coldplay at Wembley in the summer. By all accounts a standard ticket was 300 quid.

Fk me. They must be absolutely coining it in.

In my head a gig still costs £6

No, they weren't. Top face price was £130. Packages might have been more expensive.

Problem is, and no one wants to hear it, but live music is underpriced. We remember very cheap gigs, because in the 70s, 80s and 90s, record companies used to give tour support — the band was promoting the album. Ticket prices, in effect, were subsidised.

The big gigs — the kind that are being talked about here — only start making a profit on the last 5-10% of sales. All the costs have gone up since the pandemic; the venues are overbooked, so they're charging more; transport and logistics cost a lot more, not least because of fuel. For US acts, the exchange rate is a killer — if the contract is in pounds they might lose all their profit (as one friend did) between signing the contracts and getting paid because of exchange rate changes.

But the proof tickets are underpriced lies in the market, and the prices resellers charge and get — the market will support higher pricing. Dynamic pricing was a cackhanded attempt to offset that, but which has just caused more problems.

In fact, for many stadium shows, a sellout at face price is not enough to make a profit for everyone. So artists and promoters collude secretly (and illegally) to put a proportion of tix straight to the secondaries at a mark-up, ensuring everyone gets their money. The only reason artists don't demand higher face prices is that they don't want to look greedy.

When I say they are underpriced, I don't mean I would pay £300 to see someone from 100 yards away. I wouldn't. I think it is insane. (Though I did pay £200 each for two Springsteen golden circle tix; I'll be able to get in free the other night.) But whether pricing works or not is determined by the market, not people's feelings of natural justice.
gig ticket prices on 22:04 - Dec 22 with 2091 viewseghamranger

Benidorm is great for tributes. The Queen one at Morgans absolutely quality.

I wouldn’t pay £300 for a concert ticket.

I’ve just paid £45 to see Level 42 at Guildford next year and £60 to see Deacon Blue at the Albert Hall… that’s a great venue
gig ticket prices on 22:12 - Dec 22 with 2049 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I've paid over 100 quid to see Gun'N'Roses at Hyde Park.

I hope they turn up!

I should add the gig was under that the booking fee was sickening.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2022 22:17]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

gig ticket prices on 22:49 - Dec 22 with 1984 viewsqueensparker

gig ticket prices on 21:58 - Dec 22 by NW5Hoop

No, they weren't. Top face price was £130. Packages might have been more expensive.

Problem is, and no one wants to hear it, but live music is underpriced. We remember very cheap gigs, because in the 70s, 80s and 90s, record companies used to give tour support — the band was promoting the album. Ticket prices, in effect, were subsidised.

The big gigs — the kind that are being talked about here — only start making a profit on the last 5-10% of sales. All the costs have gone up since the pandemic; the venues are overbooked, so they're charging more; transport and logistics cost a lot more, not least because of fuel. For US acts, the exchange rate is a killer — if the contract is in pounds they might lose all their profit (as one friend did) between signing the contracts and getting paid because of exchange rate changes.

But the proof tickets are underpriced lies in the market, and the prices resellers charge and get — the market will support higher pricing. Dynamic pricing was a cackhanded attempt to offset that, but which has just caused more problems.

In fact, for many stadium shows, a sellout at face price is not enough to make a profit for everyone. So artists and promoters collude secretly (and illegally) to put a proportion of tix straight to the secondaries at a mark-up, ensuring everyone gets their money. The only reason artists don't demand higher face prices is that they don't want to look greedy.

When I say they are underpriced, I don't mean I would pay £300 to see someone from 100 yards away. I wouldn't. I think it is insane. (Though I did pay £200 each for two Springsteen golden circle tix; I'll be able to get in free the other night.) But whether pricing works or not is determined by the market, not people's feelings of natural justice.

Thank you, very interesting. I will wind my neck in on this

So these days bands make fk all from recordings, and likely fk all from gigs. Another win for modernism
gig ticket prices on 23:35 - Dec 22 with 1956 viewsSydneyRs

gig ticket prices on 21:58 - Dec 22 by NW5Hoop

It does as always come down to supply and demand. The tickets will sell therefore in theory they are not overpriced. I agree 300 notes is ridiculous, but if they sell at that price there's not much more to be said.
gig ticket prices on 01:44 - Dec 23 with 1881 viewsCLAREMAN1995

gig ticket prices on 17:46 - Dec 22 by 81A

Seeing Bruce for about £100 at Murrayfield.
The crazy prices are as a result of the Ticketmaster dynamic pricing algorithm that ignores face value and sets price based on demand. And the chuffing booking fee.
Utter bar stewards

Bruce was the last holdout at regular prices IMO but the Ticketmaster dynamic pricing broke the mold and I have turned away this tour.
Never missed a tour since 85 Slane Castle but quiet simply refuse to pay over $100 anymore and that wont even get you GA.
Bruce himself admitted his prices were below average for decades but has no major issues with this new dynamic price rape .
I will see him next Summer / Autumn when he hits the US stadiums but not for over $100
gig ticket prices on 09:02 - Dec 23 with 1709 viewsTK1

gig ticket prices on 22:49 - Dec 22 by queensparker

So these days bands make fk all from recordings, and likely fk all from gigs. Another win for modernism

Acts still make lots of money from touring. Just not international acts touring the UK, nor British acts touring outside it. Incredible piece of self-harm and cultural vandalism. The one thing that Britain has been reliably good at for 60 years is producing musical acts who export and endure, building a massive, lucrative industry around them...and we've spent the last few years actively sabotaging it. Unforgivable, really.
gig ticket prices on 09:31 - Dec 23 with 1660 viewsdaveB

at the other end of the scale I got Peter Kay tickets for £40 quid each at the 02 which was cheaper than the ones i had to get for Disney on Ice
Login to get fewer ads

gig ticket prices on 09:33 - Dec 23 with 1658 viewsNW5Hoop

gig ticket prices on 09:31 - Dec 23 by daveB

at the other end of the scale I got Peter Kay tickets for £40 quid each at the 02 which was cheaper than the ones i had to get for Disney on Ice

Think about the production costs: stand up is one bloke, no effects, couple of big screens. You don't need 10 trucks and 30 crew to haul that around.
gig ticket prices on 09:34 - Dec 23 with 1651 viewsNW5Hoop

gig ticket prices on 09:02 - Dec 23 by TK1

Acts still make lots of money from touring. Just not international acts touring the UK, nor British acts touring outside it. Incredible piece of self-harm and cultural vandalism. The one thing that Britain has been reliably good at for 60 years is producing musical acts who export and endure, building a massive, lucrative industry around them...and we've spent the last few years actively sabotaging it. Unforgivable, really.

It's just not true any longer. Only the biggest acts make real money. Scores of tours have been cancelled this year by mid-level acts (ones who might play to 2000/3000 people in major markets) because they can't make the economics work.
gig ticket prices on 09:43 - Dec 23 with 1645 viewsMrSheen

gig ticket prices on 22:49 - Dec 22 by queensparker

And I can access the back catalogue of virtually everyone who ever lived for less than I used to spend on vinyl every month as a 16-year-old in 1980!

Live classical music is staggeringly good value, decades of individually accumulated practice and experience times up to 100, superb seats for less than £50, up in the back for £15. In a hall with a roof and good acoustics, no need to be frisked by security before standing in a field with 80,000 other people. Undoubtedly supported by subsidy and/or private and foundation sponsors, no pyrotechnics/costume changes/big screens to pay for (opera a different story) to keep the costs down. Merch a bit lacking, but at least you know it's not all going to be off the new album.
gig ticket prices on 10:16 - Dec 23 with 1600 viewsEsox_Lucius

gig ticket prices on 09:43 - Dec 23 by MrSheen

And I can access the back catalogue of virtually everyone who ever lived for less than I used to spend on vinyl every month as a 16-year-old in 1980!

Live classical music is staggeringly good value, decades of individually accumulated practice and experience times up to 100, superb seats for less than £50, up in the back for £15. In a hall with a roof and good acoustics, no need to be frisked by security before standing in a field with 80,000 other people. Undoubtedly supported by subsidy and/or private and foundation sponsors, no pyrotechnics/costume changes/big screens to pay for (opera a different story) to keep the costs down. Merch a bit lacking, but at least you know it's not all going to be off the new album.

The Stones for free at Hyde Park 1969 and a line up of America, Patto, Manfred Manns Earth Band, Elton John & Bernie Taupin with The Who as the main act in the Chalk Farm Roundhouse for £1.50 represent the best value for money gigs I have ever attended.

The grass is always greener.

gig ticket prices on 11:02 - Dec 23 with 1552 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

gig ticket prices on 21:35 - Dec 22 by hamptonhillhoop

Banquet Records in Kingston put on loads of gigs at Pryzm in the town centre. They've got Stormzy tonight and tomorrow and for £35 you got two tickets and two CD's. A real mixture of acts too in a small venue. Saw Johnny Marr there for £15 in April and he was excellent.
The only problem is you've got to be very quick as it only holds about a thousand

Saw Rick Astley there and he was amazing!
gig ticket prices on 12:01 - Dec 23 with 1480 viewsRangersDave

Being of that age, i like the 80's stuff, and as such have gotten into the 'Let's Rock' day festivals.

up to 17 named groups or singers, decent acoustics, and an open field to sit or stand where you like.

Last year i saw Billie Ocean, OMD, Human League and others, all on 1 lineup, and was worth the £55 i paid for a ticket.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

gig ticket prices on 12:37 - Dec 23 with 1442 viewsHoopstar

Worked out cheaper for us to go watch him in Vienna on this tour - still expensive but the price diff covers the flights at least.

Never had the opportunity before so we bit the bullet and paid 140 quid or something
gig ticket prices on 12:45 - Dec 23 with 1431 viewscollegeranger

I guess I average out 30+ gigs a year and a fairly eclectic mix of artists and bands.

However, I am becoming a venue snob and the price I will pay is based on venue and where I am sat - stand.

O2 - wont go unless a freebie - soulless and pain in the Rs to get back from late

Wembley Arena - saw The Cure last week and although we had great seats on the side it took me 90 minutes to drive 7 miles and £20 to park on the top of a skating rink. That's probably done it for me now there!

Hammersmith Apollo - will go but needs to stalls first 15 rows. Will pay for good acts. Pricing has been rising here.

Shepherds Bush Empire - will go but downstairs or 1st level only - usually well priced.

Royal Albert Hall - Best venue in the world - happy to pay more than average but has to be arena, stalls or boxes.

Ally Pally - Nope - awful and a nightmare to get back from public transport or driving so thats on the banned list!

Royal Festival Hall - another great venue - seen loads here and usually Meltdown or when the artists have found out its a great value for them to play here. eg venue doesn't mug them on costs.

Hyde Park - nope ever since I saw a terrible Red Hot Chilli Peppers set years ago when the wind blew away the sound and even worse now as they can't exceed 95db! My mate in the music biz said he has heard louder on a mobile phone!! I have broken my promise never to go and got Springsteen tickets. Will lube up for the shafting on food and drinks!

Brixton Academy - Great venue and seen loads over the years, upstairs a but of a pain as the seats aren't allocated so you need to be in early. Probably that's it now for a few years as I fear their license will be revoked after the deaths there last week.

Cadogan Hall - going here more and more great little venue and normally acoustic sets - paid no more than £30 for a ticket to see some quality acts.

Bush Hall - see above

Half Moon - great venue - again not sure I have paid more than £25 here for original acts and £20 for a tribute. Pub prices on beer !!

Roundhouse - Great Venue but seating ain't great so always stand here. Can be a pain on travel if they don't finish on time!

Palladium - they seem to have more gigs here of late and although the venue is good the prices have been climbing and decided against a few in the last year as with booking fees heading over £100 a ticket. But have heard that some have not sold out so have filled it by using SFF to fill it for free!

Pryzm Kingston - Brilliant as HamptonHill said its great value - shorter sets but £15 inc CD for an intimate stripped back gig it can't be beaten ! Seen The Who, Elbow, Foals, Ride, Johnny Marr, Belle & Sebastian, The Specials, Manics, Texas and Damon Albarn here in last few years
gig ticket prices on 13:09 - Dec 23 with 1406 viewsJuzzie

Well, I've now been sucked into being mugged as me and the mrs have just shelled out just under £400 for four tickets for 'Frozen' at Drury Lane.
It's for the kids (though I'm sure we'll enjoy it too) but bloomin' heck.....
gig ticket prices on 14:21 - Dec 23 with 1313 viewstoboboly

Appreciate costs are rising but the upcoming Pulp, G'n'R and Killers costs were eye watering so not gonna try.

Also noticed a number of people I have seen before aren't bothering with London for their next tours. Presume that is due to costs.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

gig ticket prices on 15:14 - Dec 23 with 1287 viewsToast_R

As long as people buy them at those prices, things won't change. I fancied the Depeche Mode gig at Twickers too but no way was I paying those prices. Get in the bin with that.

Peter Kay ticket prices for the O2 weren't as bad but still £60 each on average and in huge demand.
gig ticket prices on 15:27 - Dec 23 with 1275 viewsrobith

gig ticket prices on 09:33 - Dec 23 by NW5Hoop

Think about the production costs: stand up is one bloke, no effects, couple of big screens. You don't need 10 trucks and 30 crew to haul that around.

An amusing story i heard is that Peter Kay is famously super tight. He spotted a venue had a massive car park and demanded £1 per car parked during his show. Venue said was a strange request but eventually agreed.

When his invoice came it had "Addtional Services: £8" written on it. When he queried it, the venue were like "for the parking". The venue had 8 parking spaces, used for loading in. The car park across the road was owned by NCP
gig ticket prices on 15:27 - Dec 23 with 1275 viewsNov77

Don’t go to many anymore, but best venues for acoustics I remember were festival hall and the palladium..
[Post edited 23 Dec 2022 15:30]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

gig ticket prices on 15:33 - Dec 23 with 1260 viewsPinnerPaul

gig ticket prices on 19:49 - Dec 22 by queensparker

My missus got a freebie to Coldplay at Wembley in the summer. By all accounts a standard ticket was 300 quid.

Fk me. They must be absolutely coining it in.

In my head a gig still costs £6

I remember the behind the scenes programme following Peter Kay on his nationwide tour.

He was donating the PROFIT of ONE night (In Manchester) to charity.

They showed the presentation of the cheque to the charity in the programme - it was for £300,000 if memory serves me correctly.

1 night and that was profit, not turnover - sure he did about 50 dates on that tour - do the maths - wow!
gig ticket prices on 15:47 - Dec 23 with 1227 viewsHarbour

gig ticket prices on 12:45 - Dec 23 by collegeranger

I guess I average out 30+ gigs a year and a fairly eclectic mix of artists and bands.

However, I am becoming a venue snob and the price I will pay is based on venue and where I am sat - stand.

O2 - wont go unless a freebie - soulless and pain in the Rs to get back from late

Wembley Arena - saw The Cure last week and although we had great seats on the side it took me 90 minutes to drive 7 miles and £20 to park on the top of a skating rink. That's probably done it for me now there!

Hammersmith Apollo - will go but needs to stalls first 15 rows. Will pay for good acts. Pricing has been rising here.

Shepherds Bush Empire - will go but downstairs or 1st level only - usually well priced.

Royal Albert Hall - Best venue in the world - happy to pay more than average but has to be arena, stalls or boxes.

Ally Pally - Nope - awful and a nightmare to get back from public transport or driving so thats on the banned list!

Royal Festival Hall - another great venue - seen loads here and usually Meltdown or when the artists have found out its a great value for them to play here. eg venue doesn't mug them on costs.

Hyde Park - nope ever since I saw a terrible Red Hot Chilli Peppers set years ago when the wind blew away the sound and even worse now as they can't exceed 95db! My mate in the music biz said he has heard louder on a mobile phone!! I have broken my promise never to go and got Springsteen tickets. Will lube up for the shafting on food and drinks!

Brixton Academy - Great venue and seen loads over the years, upstairs a but of a pain as the seats aren't allocated so you need to be in early. Probably that's it now for a few years as I fear their license will be revoked after the deaths there last week.

Cadogan Hall - going here more and more great little venue and normally acoustic sets - paid no more than £30 for a ticket to see some quality acts.

Bush Hall - see above

Half Moon - great venue - again not sure I have paid more than £25 here for original acts and £20 for a tribute. Pub prices on beer !!

Roundhouse - Great Venue but seating ain't great so always stand here. Can be a pain on travel if they don't finish on time!

Palladium - they seem to have more gigs here of late and although the venue is good the prices have been climbing and decided against a few in the last year as with booking fees heading over £100 a ticket. But have heard that some have not sold out so have filled it by using SFF to fill it for free!

Pryzm Kingston - Brilliant as HamptonHill said its great value - shorter sets but £15 inc CD for an intimate stripped back gig it can't be beaten ! Seen The Who, Elbow, Foals, Ride, Johnny Marr, Belle & Sebastian, The Specials, Manics, Texas and Damon Albarn here in last few years

Yes Cadogan Hall is great saw Rick Wakeman there …would add Jazz Cafe small but great being so close to the stage plus Ronnie Scott’s bit pricy ..For outdoors Hampton Court pretty good too. Shame so many people being priced out of live music as it is the very best entertainment. £100 plus tickets to watch someone on a screen as you are so far back from the stage is not great value but appreciate comments about Artists making a loss. For me smaller venues to lesser well known acts is where I will see live music when I can.
gig ticket prices on 16:11 - Dec 23 with 1213 viewsDannyPaddox

gig ticket prices on 22:12 - Dec 22 by Metallica_Hoop

I've paid over 100 quid to see Gun'N'Roses at Hyde Park.

I hope they turn up!

I should add the gig was under that the booking fee was sickening.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2022 22:17]

£100! Mate, for the price of a pint I’ll give you a rendition of my Guns n Roses inspired ‘Sweet Chair O’ Mine’

He’s got skills though admittedly
Not quite as skilful as Ebere Eze
But he plays for the Hoops
So for me he’s a mighty fine guy

His name sounds like a piece of furniture
But he’s the best outfield player for sure
And if ever left
I’d probably break down and cry

Oh oh oh oh … etc.

And for another pint I won’t sing it again.
gig ticket prices on 16:37 - Dec 23 with 1192 viewsdanehoop

gig ticket prices on 21:35 - Dec 22 by hamptonhillhoop

Banquet Records in Kingston put on loads of gigs at Pryzm in the town centre. They've got Stormzy tonight and tomorrow and for £35 you got two tickets and two CD's. A real mixture of acts too in a small venue. Saw Johnny Marr there for £15 in April and he was excellent.
The only problem is you've got to be very quick as it only holds about a thousand

Saw Joy Crookes there and can thoroughly recommend it as a venue. Really good value.

Never knowingly understood

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024