Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lads you played with in school who just never made it 22:28 - Jun 28 with 5949 viewsKeithHaynes

I’ll start with a Haverfordwest lad Gordon Thomas. What a footballer.
Came from a big influential local rugby family. He had exhilarating pace and ball control, head and shoulders above anyone at our school at the time.

Man Utd offered him youth terms, apparently his dad, who was as tough as they come and a real gent once you knew him said if you join them and don’t play for Llanelli at rugby we are done. I have to be honest I can see his point, if you kicked a ball in school you would be humiliated, he was definitely my type of bloke. Gordon turned Man Utd down and broke his leg badly in his first game for the scarlets, he was an outstanding athlete.

And never played again.

Was big mates with Haverfordwest lad Peter Morgan, Llanelli and British Lions. On retirement Peter ran a bloody good chippy in Prendergast in Haverfordwest. Lovely chap too, always went there after a few jars in the Bull.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 20:41 - Jun 29 with 1709 viewsCatullus

Paul Absalom, he was on Man City's books. When we left school he stayed there another 3 years ( I think, may have been longer) but they decided he wasn't good enough and paid him off.
He took the money and learned to be a private detective and made a fortune. Last I knew he lived down Derwen Fawr way. Was doing very well, last I knew.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 22:28 - Jun 29 with 1627 viewsjack_lord

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 20:41 - Jun 29 by Catullus

Paul Absalom, he was on Man City's books. When we left school he stayed there another 3 years ( I think, may have been longer) but they decided he wasn't good enough and paid him off.
He took the money and learned to be a private detective and made a fortune. Last I knew he lived down Derwen Fawr way. Was doing very well, last I knew.

Ive played against Paul. Really solid player. He was also at the basic training camp at the same time as me. I was quicker than him but he could stop a lot. Havent seen him for years though.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 22:39 - Jun 29 with 1602 viewsangryjack

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 22:28 - Jun 29 by jack_lord

Ive played against Paul. Really solid player. He was also at the basic training camp at the same time as me. I was quicker than him but he could stop a lot. Havent seen him for years though.

Good old apples..Good fun..
Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 23:02 - Jun 29 with 1587 viewsjack_lord

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 22:39 - Jun 29 by angryjack

yep good lad

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 14:58 - Jun 30 with 1462 viewsCatullus

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 22:39 - Jun 29 by angryjack

I was in town one night, donkeys years ago and in a drunken moment (I used to have quite a few!) I pinched a rtaher nice looking behind, she turned around and smiled at me, it was only Apples missus. He took it with a laugh too because that's the kind of bloke he was/is. I haven't seen im in about 15 years now

When we were in schoolhe used to hang around with a kid called Dai O'callaghan, the pair of them were always in trouble!

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 19:27 - Jun 30 with 1392 viewsBenJ94

I was friends in school with Jandir Zola who played for the Swans U21’s. He was big for his age and very strong, I always thought he’d progress with the Swans but I think he just ended up being released. Playing for Swansea Uni in the welsh leagues the last I heard.

I also played against Scott Tancock a few times between the ages of 11-15, another one who was levels above the rest at our age, again, looked a promising player in the Swans youth sides but didn’t quite make it.

There were a few boys in my year who were just naturally very good footballers who could easily have had a career maybe even as semi pro, but never really put the effort in and just sort of fell out of playing all together.
Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 19:31 - Jun 30 with 1390 viewslifelong

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 08:06 - Jun 29 by OptimisticJack

On a similar line back in the mid 80s Swansea City youth had a team of youngsters in the Swansea Sunday League - incredible really.
One particular match I played against them and marked a young centre forward called Jeff Griffiths. I thought he was quite a player.
Good feet and excellent in the air.
Watched out for him after that and really thought he would go far. Unfortunately he didn't make the grade.
He is now a taxi driver in Swansea.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2022 8:27]

‘Humpsie’ was a good player G.

He went to Leeds when he was 15, came home because he was homesick, was signed with the Swans but didn’t make it. You just couldn’t get the ball off him. 😄
Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 19:49 - Jun 30 with 1368 viewsOptimisticJack

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 19:31 - Jun 30 by lifelong

‘Humpsie’ was a good player G.

He went to Leeds when he was 15, came home because he was homesick, was signed with the Swans but didn’t make it. You just couldn’t get the ball off him. 😄

Yes spot on there.
He was playing with us at a ripe old age and simply oozed class.

Optimisticjack

Login to get fewer ads

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 19:50 - Jun 30 with 1365 viewsSTID2017

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 19:49 - Jun 30 by OptimisticJack

Yes spot on there.
He was playing with us at a ripe old age and simply oozed class.

Did you play for Morriston Town ?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 20:33 - Jun 30 with 1341 viewsbuilthjack

Mr Edwards , our sports / pe teacher, a great bloke, managed to get 4 of us trials at Wolves.
We spent a fortnight there during the summer holidays. 3 of us got called back for another 2 weeks.
They let us all go.
But a Coventry scout had been told about one of us, not me, a goalkeeper.
He went there for a year, then they released him.
He moved on to Cardiff where he spent a season as reserve keeper, then they released him.
It's a tough old world.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 21:06 - Jun 30 with 1324 viewsswan_si

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 14:58 - Jun 30 by Catullus

I was in town one night, donkeys years ago and in a drunken moment (I used to have quite a few!) I pinched a rtaher nice looking behind, she turned around and smiled at me, it was only Apples missus. He took it with a laugh too because that's the kind of bloke he was/is. I haven't seen im in about 15 years now

When we were in schoolhe used to hang around with a kid called Dai O'callaghan, the pair of them were always in trouble!

A good few years back he had a bad accident at pont Abraham roundabout, some american,not expected a roundabout on the m4 crashed into the back of him, very nice compo payout, he later went through a messy divorce, trying to hide a lot of his assets, got a warning from the court, his head went a bit and he basically wrecked his house in Derwen farm, Angel Rangel built his house just behind Apple's house when this was going on, he must have thought he'd moved into a war zone, haven't seen him since Nice bloke, but I wouldn't believe his radio.
Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 21:25 - Jun 30 with 1291 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 13:48 - Jun 29 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

I had a similar experience coming up against a future superstar. Our side went out to holland for a tournament, like a round robin thing. I was about 14/15. We absolutely smashed the host club, think it was Maastricht, there was an African side we beat and an Italian team. We went into the last game on a winning run thinking we were sh1t hot and found out last minute it was Feyenoords youth team. Anyway they just knocked it around us for fun, they could have scored a hundred if they wanted to, they were 7-0 up within 20 minutes and just kept the ball for the rest of the game. In the end the ref blew up 20 minutes early because he felt so sorry for us. Years later I found the programme for the tournament and found out I had been playing against a certain R V Persie. Glenn Loovens was also in the squad and another player who went on to play for Holland who’s name escapes me.

It was the most demoralising experience I’ve ever had on a football pitch.

Pretty sure I played in that tournament a couple of years before you.
The quality in the final was as good as anything I’d seen at the time.

We convinced ourselves many years later over a beer that some superstars played for the team that beat us but can’t remember who we thought they were.
Some of them must have made it.

Was it 40 minute matches you played?

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 22:33 - Jun 30 with 1246 viewsOptimisticJack

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 19:50 - Jun 30 by STID2017

Did you play for Morriston Town ?

Afraid not.
Not good enough.
Nearest I got to them was playing for Morriston Athletic as a youngster.

Optimisticjack

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 22:54 - Jun 30 with 1213 viewsSTID2017

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 22:33 - Jun 30 by OptimisticJack

Afraid not.
Not good enough.
Nearest I got to them was playing for Morriston Athletic as a youngster.

[Post edited 30 Jun 2022 22:55]

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 23:05 - Jun 30 with 1198 viewsCatullus

Lads you played with in school who just never made it on 21:06 - Jun 30 by swan_si

A good few years back he had a bad accident at pont Abraham roundabout, some american,not expected a roundabout on the m4 crashed into the back of him, very nice compo payout, he later went through a messy divorce, trying to hide a lot of his assets, got a warning from the court, his head went a bit and he basically wrecked his house in Derwen farm, Angel Rangel built his house just behind Apple's house when this was going on, he must have thought he'd moved into a war zone, haven't seen him since Nice bloke, but I wouldn't believe his radio.

Ah, that's shame. As good a laugh as he was he was often a bit close to the mark. That's why he was always in trouble in school, he was a cheeky git!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024