Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
players contracts... 12:58 - Mar 15 with 4685 viewssouthbrookstreet

As the world struggles against the coronavirus its obvious the April 4th football shut down will be extended probably as far as June No one knows or can tell..
Many players contracts are expiring in June probably hundreds I dont know but that will cause complications..easy way out is cancellation of the 2019/20 season, I would say that would be favorite at this point of time.. Sorry brentford fulham and west brom you could be at Loftus Road again next season
players contracts... on 17:00 - Mar 17 with 850 viewsnadera78

As I said in the above post, you can't force out of contract players to extend their contracts.

Scenario 1
You're an out of contract player, and you know that your current club doesn't want you for next season, but you've got another club lined up. But in order to complete the fixtures this summer your current club want you to extend by two months because they can't sign anyone else. You agree to it and then get a serious injury. Now you find yourself out of contract, the current club doesn't want you, the other club doesn't either because you're no use to them, and you're facing a long time on the sidelines with no money coming in.

It's a risk every out of contract player would have to consider. Would you sign that 2 month extension? I don't think I would.

Scenario 2
Two clubs fighting relegation. One manages to convince all of its out of contract players to extend their contracts, the other doesn't. The second one gets relegated. They've played 80% of the season with one squad but through not fault of their own find themselves without players during this summer extension. Do you think that's fair? I don't. I'd be livid if I owned/supported that club. And the financial impact of relegation could destroy a club.

Honestly, there is no easy way through this. I don't envy any of the sports governing bodies right now. They've got a hell of a job on to navigate through this.
players contracts... on 19:34 - Mar 17 with 811 viewsB_Wad

Agreed that contracts can't easily and simple be altered. On that note, I apologize if anyone has offered this and am preparing my tin hat, but it seems another potential option is to wait until there is an "all clear" and see how far it is from when the regular season was going to end.

If there were a couple of weeks still left in the schedule, play the matches that were scheduled and don't try to make up the others. It would create some high drama if clubs only had a game or two to pin down their place. For others there would be resignation.

If the isolation goes beyond the end of the regular season, then leave the standings as they are. Leeds and WBA are promoted and perhaps also take third place, Fulham up too. Apologies to the Charlton, Luton and Barnsley, but you are going down.

It won't be liked, it isn't necessarily fair and there would be complaining, but it seems the simplest and perhaps ultimately fairest in a situation where there don't seem to be good options.
players contracts... on 09:42 - Mar 19 with 719 viewsfrancisbowles

players contracts... on 19:34 - Mar 17 by B_Wad

Agreed that contracts can't easily and simple be altered. On that note, I apologize if anyone has offered this and am preparing my tin hat, but it seems another potential option is to wait until there is an "all clear" and see how far it is from when the regular season was going to end.

If there were a couple of weeks still left in the schedule, play the matches that were scheduled and don't try to make up the others. It would create some high drama if clubs only had a game or two to pin down their place. For others there would be resignation.

If the isolation goes beyond the end of the regular season, then leave the standings as they are. Leeds and WBA are promoted and perhaps also take third place, Fulham up too. Apologies to the Charlton, Luton and Barnsley, but you are going down.

It won't be liked, it isn't necessarily fair and there would be complaining, but it seems the simplest and perhaps ultimately fairest in a situation where there don't seem to be good options.

IMHO this is the worst possible option.

We have to try and complete the season, whenever we can and if we possibly can. We can make whatever changes we need to next season.

Whilst I understand Nadera78's views and that they are almost certainly factually correct, there has to be a way for legislation by government to vary the terms of all contracts as a short term measure, for the duration of this emergency. There are bills being debated today to change (other) laws on a temporary basis. The potential injury scenario could be alleviated by some form of insurance or guarantee from the FA or Premier League for their players.

If we can't logistically do the above and it really is impossible to finish this season, then we would need to void it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024