Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Virgin Closing Down in Swansea 13:44 - May 3 with 12627 viewswestside

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/live-updates-800-jobs-go-14
Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 15:25 - May 4 with 2002 viewslondonlisa2001

Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 15:02 - May 4 by A_Fans_Dad

" Barely a month goes by on this forum where we don't have a thread about people switching to Kodi and similar. Basically receiving streaming and tv services and paying a relatively tiny amount a year for that service."

Emotional response?
I do not have Kodi, I do pay £90 a month for Virgin, my Son has Sky as well.
Can we watch the Swans every week, (or any other favourite club)?
Of course not, because they don't show all the games every week.
Fans of all clubs have been asking for such packages for years.
So we use Kodi or Computer streaming instead.
It is about time these companies put customers before Profit, but it will never happen.

Question Lisa, have you got a "Smart Meter"?

I agree with you on them not showing games. Ridiculous. I stream games myself, despite having sky sports package, because I'd rather watch us than endless Man Utd. Again, my point is not that it's the consumers fault, it's that in a world where cost drives choice, jobs get lost. But you also know as well as I do that some of the streaming is not to get more choice, it's to avoid paying. We can't have it all ways.

We want stuff and we love the choice and price that globalisation brings, but we moan when we have the results of that globalisation hitting our workforce. At some point we need to be honest. Which would we prefer?

And, no. I don't have a smart meter.
Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 15:29 - May 4 with 1994 viewslondonlisa2001

Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 15:10 - May 4 by JACKMANANDBOY

I would say that in my experience public businesses heavily prioritise share holder value every time over customer and employee value and indeed over their wider responsibilities. In private businesses I have seen more of a balance.

In some. Yes.

But not in this case. There are some private companies that are private because they don't like the scrutiny of their practices. Or the governance requirements.

A private company making the same profit margin as a public company is not doing more for their customers than the public company. They're just more secret.
Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 16:14 - May 4 with 1954 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 15:25 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

I agree with you on them not showing games. Ridiculous. I stream games myself, despite having sky sports package, because I'd rather watch us than endless Man Utd. Again, my point is not that it's the consumers fault, it's that in a world where cost drives choice, jobs get lost. But you also know as well as I do that some of the streaming is not to get more choice, it's to avoid paying. We can't have it all ways.

We want stuff and we love the choice and price that globalisation brings, but we moan when we have the results of that globalisation hitting our workforce. At some point we need to be honest. Which would we prefer?

And, no. I don't have a smart meter.

It is profit, regardless of what we the Customers do.
The most classic example is Banks closing Branches, the impact of which is not just massive for their customers, but for the whole community where the closure takes place.
They do not want to be "bothered" with customers, they are trying to force us all to go Cashless and Electronic.

The Excuse by Virgin of location is exactly that, an excuse and makes absolutely no differnce to their business at all.
However, if s someone suggested the main aim is to send the jobs abroad then that has a negative impact on the customer.
Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 16:15 - May 4 with 1951 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 15:29 - May 4 by londonlisa2001

In some. Yes.

But not in this case. There are some private companies that are private because they don't like the scrutiny of their practices. Or the governance requirements.

A private company making the same profit margin as a public company is not doing more for their customers than the public company. They're just more secret.

I hope you are not referring to chairmen writing minutes to meetings that did not happen!!!

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 17:06 - May 4 with 1923 viewsRancid

I cancelled the impending installation of my Virgin fibre optic on hearing this in the week.That'll learn em 😖
Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 11:00 - May 5 with 1792 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 17:06 - May 4 by Rancid

I cancelled the impending installation of my Virgin fibre optic on hearing this in the week.That'll learn em 😖

Good on you, seriously. They're ripping my parents off so I'm going to change their supplier to plusnet.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 11:07 - May 5 with 1788 viewslondonlisa2001

Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 11:00 - May 5 by Brynmill_Jack

Good on you, seriously. They're ripping my parents off so I'm going to change their supplier to plusnet.

Unfortunately, the BT news is rumoured to also affect Swansea isn't it?

So a move to BT isnt much of a message.
Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 11:10 - May 5 with 1787 viewsdickythorpe

The time is right and ripe now for some multi billionaire to set up and rival all the same , tired old choices .

Sky, virgin, BT can go to hell!
Login to get fewer ads

Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 11:21 - May 5 with 1783 viewslondonlisa2001

Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 11:10 - May 5 by dickythorpe

The time is right and ripe now for some multi billionaire to set up and rival all the same , tired old choices .

Sky, virgin, BT can go to hell!

The issue is that unless they make the new service cheaper, people won't switch to them.

In order to make the new service cheaper than the existing services, they will have to attempt to match their cost base (difficult anyway in a smaller company).

To match their cost base as a smaller company, they will not be using staff in U.K. call centres. They'll base them somewhere wherever they can pay people horrific wages and get away with it.

Even then they'll struggle, given the big players are also in those countries.

Meanwhile, the big players pay out billions for TV rights so that a few footballers can get £200k per week.
Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 20:17 - May 5 with 1711 viewsmajorraglan

Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 11:00 - May 5 by Brynmill_Jack

I have the Plusnet Unlimited Fibre extra. It uses BT Openreach and has good speed most of the time, but can slow a bit when the lines are very busy. When I have used their customer services which is based in a UK call centre they have been excellent.
Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 20:21 - May 5 with 1704 viewstheloneranger

Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 20:17 - May 5 by majorraglan

I have the Plusnet Unlimited Fibre extra. It uses BT Openreach and has good speed most of the time, but can slow a bit when the lines are very busy. When I have used their customer services which is based in a UK call centre they have been excellent.

They all use BT cables, the only one who doesn't is Virgin Media

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 20:45 - May 5 with 1678 viewsWingstandwood

Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 20:17 - May 5 by majorraglan

Customer service support means a lot!

I have had two absolute mare experiences trying to communicate over a line to overseas support with abysmal hearing quality (volume so low, too low) in fact the person on the other end was nigh impossible to hear..... To make matters even worse I could barely understand the call centre workers accent and poor grasp of English and it was likewise for that person when it came to my own accent.... In fact I've even had to completely give up and put the phone down, frustrating when the monthly bill will still keep on rolling in and there is no service being provided.

Argus!

Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 07:53 - May 7 with 1572 viewsPrivate_Partz

Virgin Closing Down in Swansea on 19:44 - May 3 by PozuelosSideys

Exactly. Attracting investment costs money. Investing in services, transport etc costs money. All the money is being diverted to one place - Cardiff.

Just look how Europe shapes up. People, money, jobs etc all flow westwards to the big cities in the richer northern european countries. Same is happening in Wales, and in the UK generally.

Wales is sleepwalking into the third world with the way it views its politics and the way the WAG is run. But the easy out for everyone is to point the finger at westminster and blame them. Of course theres a little substance in that, but if they hold all the cards, whats the point in the WAG?

As for all the other stuff about freight and ferry links etc. Is the demand there for that? Not mocking your ideas as thats the sort of thinking which leads to action, but WAG doesnt give a toss about that. Nest feathering layabout slobs who woudl get eaten up in any sort of genuine industry and spat out.

If people want it bad enough, then make enough noise, cos at the moment the status quo apparently suits everyone as they are quiet as mice.

Just ideas Poz but the fact remains we are on a main link to Ireland, Americas , Africa and Northern Europe. I think we could be one of the main Westward routes that you are talking about. Particularly with a N S Wales motorway to compliment it. All informed opinion says transport infastructure in Wales is approaching 70 years behind the times.
I think, had there been the will from WAG, we could very well have had EU funding to improve transport links to Ireland. It would have been a big start to any further development.
We can wave goodbye to that one with nobs on.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024