Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Early Retirement Yes or No 19:28 - Feb 25 with 9175 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Approaching 60, option to retire early, figures look okay. What would you do?

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Early Retirement Yes or No on 10:25 - Feb 26 with 1949 viewsJoe_bradshaw

I was very lucky and able to retire at 53, seven and a half years ago. I now have time for the grandchildren despite them living 250 miles from Swansea, voluntary work which I can do as I please and travelling. I'm as busy as when I worked but it's all stuff that I choose to do rather than have to. The lack of pressure is hugely beneficial to your health. I didn't consider myself under pressure in work but clearly was and could only see it when that pressure was lifted, If the numbers work for you it really is a no brainer - do it.

Incredible stories from NTJ and Algorfa. I salute you both, you are an inspiration.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Early Retirement Yes or No on 12:21 - Feb 26 with 1896 viewsAlgorfajack

Early Retirement Yes or No on 10:25 - Feb 26 by Joe_bradshaw

I was very lucky and able to retire at 53, seven and a half years ago. I now have time for the grandchildren despite them living 250 miles from Swansea, voluntary work which I can do as I please and travelling. I'm as busy as when I worked but it's all stuff that I choose to do rather than have to. The lack of pressure is hugely beneficial to your health. I didn't consider myself under pressure in work but clearly was and could only see it when that pressure was lifted, If the numbers work for you it really is a no brainer - do it.

Incredible stories from NTJ and Algorfa. I salute you both, you are an inspiration.

Thanks Joe, NTJ is definitely inspirational, so not sure I come into that category.

However my problem was questioning my mortality & I think a lot of my subsequent sick days after being diagnosed with heart problems was down to this.

If what happened to my son, who other than whooping cough at 10 months old, never had a sick day in his short life, then my symptoms were probably presenting stronger than perhaps they actually were. It did not help that the post mortem report into Mark's death put it down to 'natural causes'.

That was back in 2001 & as they say, time is a great healer. It never goes away but it gets easier to face each day.

Sorry to waffle on, back on topic I think the point I am trying to make is to enjoy each day & don't take for granted that you will be here tomorrow

Colin

Prediction league winner 2016-2017 aka llanedeyrnjack

Early Retirement Yes or No on 14:26 - Feb 26 with 1841 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Early Retirement Yes or No on 10:04 - Feb 26 by N_T_J

Bet it's a great feeling for you you!! Enjoy

Yes, feels very positive and a bit of a relief having made a decision!

Early Retirement Yes or No on 15:52 - Feb 26 with 1797 viewssP7qupUf

100% do it. I took the chance 2 years ago aged 57. I had worked at a pretty senior level in my job and had a generous final salary pension which helped of course. However, a year of renal dialysis threads a week after work followed by a successful kidney transplant does focus you on the important things. I still do some consultancy work, but I choose what I do. But in honesty it just pays for the extras.

Done a lot of travelling, taken up bowls, sorted my garden, read the books that I should have etc.

If the figures add up go for it. My transplant will not last forever so I am making the most of things now. First grandchild due in two weeks. Really looking forward to that.
Early Retirement Yes or No on 18:50 - Feb 26 with 1737 viewsGreatBritton

I made the right choice (unusual for me) at 60 and grabbed my pension and lump sum but carried on working 0.5 for another five years. I was pretty useless and disengaged for that period but I reckonedI'd been good enough prior to that to justify it. I'd strongly recommend this winding down process because there's no shock of coming home one day, looking around and thinking "Now WTF do I do?"

I read voraciously and take on any little gigs that come my way, as long as I can negotiate a fee I can live with. Saul Goodman.

When you're working at full tilt you think you're indispensable. A short time later they're saying "Who?"
Early Retirement Yes or No on 18:57 - Feb 26 with 1730 viewsN_T_J

Early Retirement Yes or No on 18:50 - Feb 26 by GreatBritton

I made the right choice (unusual for me) at 60 and grabbed my pension and lump sum but carried on working 0.5 for another five years. I was pretty useless and disengaged for that period but I reckonedI'd been good enough prior to that to justify it. I'd strongly recommend this winding down process because there's no shock of coming home one day, looking around and thinking "Now WTF do I do?"

I read voraciously and take on any little gigs that come my way, as long as I can negotiate a fee I can live with. Saul Goodman.

When you're working at full tilt you think you're indispensable. A short time later they're saying "Who?"

"I'd strongly recommend this winding down process because there's no shock of coming home one day, looking around and thinking "Now WTF do I do?"

I think this is how I should have worded it yesterday.
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:17 - Feb 26 with 1707 viewsBLAZE

Edit. After reading that back it just felt like a ramble of self pity so I've deleted it.

Anyway, good luck to the OP in your retirement, and to the rest of you too.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2018 19:22]
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:24 - Feb 26 with 1682 viewsN_T_J

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:17 - Feb 26 by BLAZE

Edit. After reading that back it just felt like a ramble of self pity so I've deleted it.

It was not a ramble of self pity Blaze!

I wish you the best and back on your feet. If you want a ticket for sat just pm me 👍👍
Login to get fewer ads

Early Retirement Yes or No on 19:26 - Feb 26 with 1670 viewslifelong

Early Retirement Yes or No on 12:21 - Feb 26 by Algorfajack

Thanks Joe, NTJ is definitely inspirational, so not sure I come into that category.

However my problem was questioning my mortality & I think a lot of my subsequent sick days after being diagnosed with heart problems was down to this.

If what happened to my son, who other than whooping cough at 10 months old, never had a sick day in his short life, then my symptoms were probably presenting stronger than perhaps they actually were. It did not help that the post mortem report into Mark's death put it down to 'natural causes'.

That was back in 2001 & as they say, time is a great healer. It never goes away but it gets easier to face each day.

Sorry to waffle on, back on topic I think the point I am trying to make is to enjoy each day & don't take for granted that you will be here tomorrow

Colin

Just reading your input in this thread Colin.. all the best to you mate.
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:29 - Feb 26 with 1664 viewsFlashberryjack

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:17 - Feb 26 by BLAZE

Very true mate, health is taken for granted until it's taken away, I genuinely hope that things improve for you, and soon.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:50 - Feb 26 with 1618 viewsBLAZE

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:24 - Feb 26 by N_T_J

It was not a ramble of self pity Blaze!

I wish you the best and back on your feet. If you want a ticket for sat just pm me 👍👍

That's very kind of you NTJ, thank you

I've got to admit I'm full of admiration for your determination, although it makes me feel a little ashamed too. I can't help but feel that if I had your fight in me, things wouldn't have deteriorated as far as they have done. Hopefully I'll find it eventually. Anyway, keep the positivity up, I'm sure (and hope) you'll see the benefits in time

And thanks to Flashberry too
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:52 - Feb 26 with 1609 viewsDarran

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:50 - Feb 26 by BLAZE

I've got to admit I'm full of admiration for your determination, although it makes me feel a little ashamed too. I can't help but feel that if I had your fight in me, things wouldn't have deteriorated as far as they have done. Hopefully I'll find it eventually. Anyway, keep the positivity up, I'm sure (and hope) you'll see the benefits in time

What’s up James? PM me.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Early Retirement Yes or No on 20:12 - Feb 26 with 1565 viewsAlgorfajack

Early Retirement Yes or No on 19:26 - Feb 26 by lifelong

Just reading your input in this thread Colin.. all the best to you mate.

Thank you Roger, hopefully meet up again one day for a beer before a game, Have'nt been to the liberty since I lost Dad.

Take care mate

Colin

Prediction league winner 2016-2017 aka llanedeyrnjack

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:17 - Feb 26 with 1556 viewsbonymine

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:50 - Feb 26 by BLAZE

Blaze we all go through our ups and downs in life, most things we can normally overcome with a bit of strong mental resolve and the unwavering support of a partner/spouse and family/friends.

However, some things we may face in life come totally out of the blue such as a mental health breakdown which I myself have suffered in recent years which can turn your world upside down. On a personal note and to make matters worse, as soon as my employee sick pay reduced to 50% of my full pay, my now ex-wife decided ‘enough was enough’ and left the family home to seek out the apparent ‘glamorous, social world of Morgan’s Hotel’ and find the next ‘cash cow/mug’ who was willing to fund her lifestyle.

That was 3 years ago now and I have since come through that experience with the fantastic support of my two sons and my amazing family and friends.

So Blaze, whatever the nature of your health issues and however low you may feel, I’m sure you have friends and family around you who can help you get back on track and no doubt there are other people on here just like myself who have suffered life changing personal problems but certainly NOTHING which can’t be overcome.

Please feel free to PM me if you fancy a chat or to meet up at any time for a coffee or whatever ; it’s amazing just how much talking about a problem with others who have experienced similar issues can help the healing process.

Take care, stay positive and always look forward and NOT back 👍

STID. Together Stronger 💪💪💪
[Post edited 26 Feb 2018 20:56]

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:24 - Feb 26 with 1547 viewsmax936

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:17 - Feb 26 by bonymine

Blaze we all go through our ups and downs in life, most things we can normally overcome with a bit of strong mental resolve and the unwavering support of a partner/spouse and family/friends.

However, some things we may face in life come totally out of the blue such as a mental health breakdown which I myself have suffered in recent years which can turn your world upside down. On a personal note and to make matters worse, as soon as my employee sick pay reduced to 50% of my full pay, my now ex-wife decided ‘enough was enough’ and left the family home to seek out the apparent ‘glamorous, social world of Morgan’s Hotel’ and find the next ‘cash cow/mug’ who was willing to fund her lifestyle.

That was 3 years ago now and I have since come through that experience with the fantastic support of my two sons and my amazing family and friends.

So Blaze, whatever the nature of your health issues and however low you may feel, I’m sure you have friends and family around you who can help you get back on track and no doubt there are other people on here just like myself who have suffered life changing personal problems but certainly NOTHING which can’t be overcome.

Please feel free to PM me if you fancy a chat or to meet up at any time for a coffee or whatever ; it’s amazing just how much talking about a problem with others who have experienced similar issues can help the healing process.

Take care, stay positive and always look forward and NOT back 👍

STID. Together Stronger 💪💪💪
[Post edited 26 Feb 2018 20:56]

That's a great post Bony and amongst one of the best posts posted on this forum.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:30 - Feb 26 with 1521 viewsbonymine

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:24 - Feb 26 by max936

That's a great post Bony and amongst one of the best posts posted on this forum.

Thanks Max, words and thoughts which simply come from the heart are usually the most genuine and sincere 👍

Early Retirement Yes or No on 20:31 - Feb 26 with 1518 viewsJackfath

There’s some great people on ps. Reach out and they’ll be there. They know who they are.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Early Retirement Yes or No on 20:40 - Feb 26 with 1491 viewsbonymine

Early Retirement Yes or No on 20:31 - Feb 26 by Jackfath

There’s some great people on ps. Reach out and they’ll be there. They know who they are.

Indeed Fathy, you’ve been a great support to me as you well know 👍

Early Retirement Yes or No on 20:54 - Feb 26 with 1471 viewsSwanzay

I'm no where near in a position to retire, but as soon as I'm in a position to do so, I will do it. Life is just simply to short to be taken for granted.

Theres a big world out there, that needs to be explored!

Some excellent contributions to this thread BTW!

Enjoy your retirement, while you can!
Early Retirement Yes or No on 20:55 - Feb 26 with 1469 viewsBLAZE

Ain't that true.

Bony, thank you. I've read your post a few times to take it in. Once again I'm humbled by the offers of support

I want to extend the support. I suffer with fairly severe OCD, which ties in quite horribly with anxiety and depression. If anyone else suffers - mild, severe, whatever - and needs to vent at an understanding ear, then feel me to message me
Early Retirement Yes or No on 21:00 - Feb 26 with 1459 viewsSwanzay

Early Retirement Yes or No on 20:55 - Feb 26 by BLAZE

Ain't that true.

Bony, thank you. I've read your post a few times to take it in. Once again I'm humbled by the offers of support

I want to extend the support. I suffer with fairly severe OCD, which ties in quite horribly with anxiety and depression. If anyone else suffers - mild, severe, whatever - and needs to vent at an understanding ear, then feel me to message me

Good Luck Blaze! Very brave post and hope you get the support you need.
Early Retirement Yes or No on 22:23 - Feb 26 with 1409 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Yes, thanks again for all the constructive and honest contributions. I thought I may get a real mix of stuff, but the reality is only positive things that helped me finalise my thoughts. Sometimes a detached view from people who don't know you really helps.

Onto the next chapter!

Early Retirement Yes or No on 22:27 - Feb 26 with 1406 viewsN_T_J

Early Retirement Yes or No on 22:23 - Feb 26 by JACKMANANDBOY

Yes, thanks again for all the constructive and honest contributions. I thought I may get a real mix of stuff, but the reality is only positive things that helped me finalise my thoughts. Sometimes a detached view from people who don't know you really helps.

Onto the next chapter!

When is your last day? :)
Early Retirement Yes or No on 22:54 - Feb 26 with 1384 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

To be agreed, but hopefully in the next month, I have three months notice on my contract so fingers crossed.

Early Retirement Yes or No on 07:53 - Feb 27 with 1274 viewssatrdayboy

If anyone is thinking of retiring early give Celtic Wealth a wide berth, they introduced myself and many other steel workers to a right shyster, Darren Reynolds of Active Wealth. Just google Active Wealth, Celtic Wealth or Darren Reynolds. Put everyone in a crap fund with exit charges, poor performance and other hidden charges. He's now liquified the company so he's not liable for anything.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024