Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First time in Swansea 21:35 - Jan 23 with 11684 viewsgrfn

Hi guys, next week i will visit Swansea for the first time (it will be my second time in UK).
Of course main goal of my trip is tuesdays game vs Soton, but i would like to see as many interesting places in Swansea as i can. Not only club related (i will be with my girlfriend, she's not really into football), so maybe you could suggest me some interesting places to visit - for both tourist and Swansea supporter side of me? :)
Obviously i did some research, but every opinion of fellow local Jack would be welcomed.
I will be in Swansea for 2 days (monday morning to wednesday morning, then trip back London).
Also, if you have any tips for match related stuff - where to buy Swans related stuff (scarf, shirt etc), where to go for a beer before game etc - i will be than grateful.
If there was already another similar topic, sorry for mess, could you send me link to it?
First time in Swansea on 23:35 - Jan 23 with 2960 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

I'd come down just for the game and then head back to London.

There is very little here really. Apparently when we destroy Swansea Bay lots of people will want to come here to jet ski and stare at some turbines, but for now, don't waste your time.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

First time in Swansea on 23:43 - Jan 23 with 2940 viewsmorningstar

You're all a bunch of mugs, so desperate for recognition that you can't even see the guy is on a wind up! Fools!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

First time in Swansea on 02:08 - Jan 24 with 2758 viewsmajorraglan

Pizzeria Vesuvio is a tidy place to get something to eat before the game, but you would probably have to book. It's better than Frankie and Bennies and is across the road from the Liberty. If it's just a few drinks you want Frankies s fine.
First time in Swansea on 05:56 - Jan 24 with 2671 viewsLoyal

First time in Swansea on 23:43 - Jan 23 by morningstar

You're all a bunch of mugs, so desperate for recognition that you can't even see the guy is on a wind up! Fools!

Er ...... ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

First time in Swansea on 06:04 - Jan 24 with 2663 viewsjack247

First time in Swansea on 23:35 - Jan 23 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

There is very little here really. Apparently when we destroy Swansea Bay lots of people will want to come here to jet ski and stare at some turbines, but for now, don't waste your time.

You are something else. Essentially an articulate Perchrock Jack.

Grfn, get down to Gower. It's infinitely better than Dwights beloved Swansea Bay.
First time in Swansea on 06:50 - Jan 24 with 2623 viewsJethroJack

First time in Swansea on 06:04 - Jan 24 by jack247

You are something else. Essentially an articulate Perchrock Jack.

Grfn, get down to Gower. It's infinitely better than Dwights beloved Swansea Bay.

Pay no attention to DYSS, he'll be saying don't bother trying a Joe's next. The bloke's a tool, after all he did predict Liverpool 7-0 Swans 😁
First time in Swansea on 07:16 - Jan 24 with 2570 viewsGowerjack

First time in Swansea on 22:32 - Jan 23 by Bournedore

Remember to order the freshly made stuff that is in drums on site and only comes in vanilla. Don't be swayed by the flavoured stuff in tubs in the counter - it ain't the same!!

As a point of fact only buy Joes at the Guildhall shop.

The one in Mumbles isn't as good.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

First time in Swansea on 07:28 - Jan 24 with 2545 viewsGowerjack

To answer the OP.

Some good advice here already.

The City Centre is unfortunately a shi thole apart from the indoor market which is brilliant for people watching.

A cup of coffee in the Grape & Olive is great for the views but don't be tempted to try the "food" there.

Mumbles is great for a morning out some nice shops on Newton Hill then head down to the seafront for a bracing walk and fish and chips from Yallops.

The jewel in the crown of the area is the Gower Peninsula the UK's 1st AONB.
So much to see in a very compact area, deserted commonland,stone age munuments and burial sites ,dramatic salt marshes and beautiful sandy beaches and dramatic high clifftops sheltering small hidden coves. The peninsula ends with Rhossil beach and the Worms Head which are regularly rated in the top beaches in the world,let me know when you are coming by PM and I'll put the kettle on!

Plastic since 1974

Login to get fewer ads

First time in Swansea on 07:38 - Jan 24 with 2522 viewsDr_Winston

First time in Swansea on 23:43 - Jan 23 by morningstar

He's gone all the way to Lodz to set up his fake email address so it's a very elaborate one.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

First time in Swansea on 07:44 - Jan 24 with 2509 viewsKerouac

Day 1

Go to Swansea Market, eat at the Thai place...for dessert try some Welsh cheese. Buy some cheap tat to take home to a child in Poland (Welsh rugby ball, Welsh dragon etc.) and a book of Dylan Thomas poetry.

Go to Swansea Museum and the Waterfront Museum (2 minute walk between the two and not far from the market) Don't spend too long in either, it just gives you a flavour of the place.

Then walk around the Marina (right next door) and go to the top of the Meridian tower for a coffee. Great views of Swansea. Take some photos.

As pretty much everyone has said - catch a bus down to Mumbles (Bus station is over the road from the Meridian tower). GET A JOE'S ICE CREAM. Look around the shops, go to the pier.

In the evening go to a decent pub. 'No Sign' wine bar on Wind Street is alright. Eat at either; La Brasseria (Wind Street) or Garruda (Indonesian food on St. Helen's Road).
Get drunk. Shag.

Day 2

Catch a bus out to the Gower.
Go to Oxwich beach (lovely drive down and somewhere to have coffee on the beach).
Then (a 5-10 minute drive away) have lunch in the King Arthur pub, sit in front of the log fire.
Ask in there how to get to the King Arthur stone (will take you 20 minutes to walk there). When Henry Tudor landed in Pembrokeshire and took a Welsh army to defeat Richard III at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485 he took about 10,000 men on a detour to visit that stone; http://www.explore-gower.co.uk/explore/gower-history/arthur-s-stone
So I'm sure you can mange a 20 minute walk from the pub!

Other beaches worth a visit include; Three Cliffs, Pobbles, Rhossilli and Broughton (best accessed via Cwm Ivy).

In the evening get your Swans kit from the club shop (attached to the stadium, next to the ticket office). Have a drink or two beforehand somewhere near (I'm sure other posters will have recommended some good pubs) and then head back into town after the game to finish off the night.

Enjoy, nice to have you on board!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

First time in Swansea on 08:29 - Jan 24 with 2421 viewsGowerjack

First time in Swansea on 07:44 - Jan 24 by Kerouac

Day 1

Go to Swansea Market, eat at the Thai place...for dessert try some Welsh cheese. Buy some cheap tat to take home to a child in Poland (Welsh rugby ball, Welsh dragon etc.) and a book of Dylan Thomas poetry.

Go to Swansea Museum and the Waterfront Museum (2 minute walk between the two and not far from the market) Don't spend too long in either, it just gives you a flavour of the place.

Then walk around the Marina (right next door) and go to the top of the Meridian tower for a coffee. Great views of Swansea. Take some photos.

As pretty much everyone has said - catch a bus down to Mumbles (Bus station is over the road from the Meridian tower). GET A JOE'S ICE CREAM. Look around the shops, go to the pier.

In the evening go to a decent pub. 'No Sign' wine bar on Wind Street is alright. Eat at either; La Brasseria (Wind Street) or Garruda (Indonesian food on St. Helen's Road).
Get drunk. Shag.

Day 2

Catch a bus out to the Gower.
Go to Oxwich beach (lovely drive down and somewhere to have coffee on the beach).
Then (a 5-10 minute drive away) have lunch in the King Arthur pub, sit in front of the log fire.
Ask in there how to get to the King Arthur stone (will take you 20 minutes to walk there). When Henry Tudor landed in Pembrokeshire and took a Welsh army to defeat Richard III at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485 he took about 10,000 men on a detour to visit that stone; http://www.explore-gower.co.uk/explore/gower-history/arthur-s-stone
So I'm sure you can mange a 20 minute walk from the pub!

Other beaches worth a visit include; Three Cliffs, Pobbles, Rhossilli and Broughton (best accessed via Cwm Ivy).

In the evening get your Swans kit from the club shop (attached to the stadium, next to the ticket office). Have a drink or two beforehand somewhere near (I'm sure other posters will have recommended some good pubs) and then head back into town after the game to finish off the night.

Enjoy, nice to have you on board!

Downarrowed for the obvious reason.

1st one in the thread as well.

Plastic since 1974

First time in Swansea on 08:30 - Jan 24 with 2414 viewslonglostjack

First time in Swansea on 07:38 - Jan 24 by Dr_Winston

He's gone all the way to Lodz to set up his fake email address so it's a very elaborate one.

Better English than a lot of native speakers but It's the occasional forgetting of the definite article that is the giveaway.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

First time in Swansea on 08:37 - Jan 24 with 2394 viewsNeath_Jack

First time in Swansea on 22:50 - Jan 23 by grfn

Poland :)

You'll probably want to go to Llanelli then.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

First time in Swansea on 08:37 - Jan 24 with 2394 viewsWarwickHunt

First time in Swansea on 08:30 - Jan 24 by longlostjack

Better English than a lot of native speakers but It's the occasional forgetting of the definite article that is the giveaway.

He'll soon learn to say "the Gower".
First time in Swansea on 08:47 - Jan 24 with 2363 viewsairedale

First time in Swansea on 08:37 - Jan 24 by WarwickHunt

He'll soon learn to say "the Gower".

Thank goodness he's not from 'The Ukraine'
First time in Swansea on 09:21 - Jan 24 with 1982 viewsowainglyndwr

Swansea and districts.
Some of the best beaches in the world.

The city is known has coopernopalis after being the largest Cooper producers in the world. Now gone many years ago.

Joes icecream a must

A walk along the sea front

Birth city of Poet Dylan Thomas

Swansea market survived the Nazi bombing

Great cycle paths

Outside the city

Swansea Valley show caves.

Morgan park

Alan Valley

Aberdulais waterfalls
Carrog cennen castle. By the way we have more castles per square miles than anywhere in the world.
First time in Swansea on 09:30 - Jan 24 with 1968 viewslegoman

First time in Swansea on 23:35 - Jan 23 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Dwight, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are on a wind up fishing trip.

You are about as wrong as you can be my friend. Granted the city centre is not the best, but I have visited much worse. But the Gower Peninsular has some of the best scenery in the country and if the OP has the option, he should get out to some of the beaches suggested by others for a magical experience. Also, if its a clear day, head up to Cefn Bryn and drink in the beauty of the place.

Knocks Manchester in to a cocked hat I'm afraid, Dwight.

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

First time in Swansea on 10:10 - Jan 24 with 1914 viewsPolskijack

Wow another one!
First time in Swansea on 10:26 - Jan 24 with 1894 viewsLeonWasGod

First time in Swansea on 22:23 - Jan 23 by grfn

Unfortunately i wont have any car - we will take bus from London to Swansea.
@LeonWasGod i read that Oystermouth Castle is closed now - is it worth to come there and look at it from outside, if we cannot enter it ( http://www.swansea.gov.uk/oystermouthcastle - info about closing)
We will definitely visit Mumbles though, even if just for Joe's Ice Cream.

I'd forgotten it was closed. If you're in Mumbles, you'll be right by it anyway. It's about 100 metres up the main shopping street that runs away from the coast - it's nothing too exciting, but worth a quick look from the outside.
First time in Swansea on 08:51 - Feb 1 with 1720 viewsgrfn

Amazing trip.
I never doubted i will enjoy Swansea, but i never thought my girlfriend would like it so much here. Especially Mumbles (we took bus from Crown Court to Mumbles and walked nearby Oystermouth Castle, then alongside coast almost to the end of the buildings - on direction to the end of Gower), but also Swansea Marina, view from Grape n Olive and City Centre by night (that street where The Griffin is at). If think that if weather would better it would be even more amazing trip. And the game, the atmosphere, the win - i cant wait to go back to another game. Going back to our apartment was also nice, i didnt expecr i would go all way back by foot, as they were really hurting after walking all day and 90 minutes of standing, but i followed the crowd and walked all.the way back to our apartment near Crown Court. You really have amazing city and amazing team.
I have anothee question - is there any place nearby city centre where we can buy souvenirs from Swansea and Mumbles? We have tradition of collecting bottle openers and magnets from every place we where, but we havent found any good ones. Actually the only place where there were some was some little shop in Quadrant Shopping Centre, but there are not the best - we look for some with pictures of Swansea on them (for magnets, bottle opener can have only "Swansea" on it). Do you have any idea where there might be?
First time in Swansea on 09:00 - Feb 1 with 1687 viewsSwanzay

First time in Swansea on 08:51 - Feb 1 by grfn

Amazing trip.
I never doubted i will enjoy Swansea, but i never thought my girlfriend would like it so much here. Especially Mumbles (we took bus from Crown Court to Mumbles and walked nearby Oystermouth Castle, then alongside coast almost to the end of the buildings - on direction to the end of Gower), but also Swansea Marina, view from Grape n Olive and City Centre by night (that street where The Griffin is at). If think that if weather would better it would be even more amazing trip. And the game, the atmosphere, the win - i cant wait to go back to another game. Going back to our apartment was also nice, i didnt expecr i would go all way back by foot, as they were really hurting after walking all day and 90 minutes of standing, but i followed the crowd and walked all.the way back to our apartment near Crown Court. You really have amazing city and amazing team.
I have anothee question - is there any place nearby city centre where we can buy souvenirs from Swansea and Mumbles? We have tradition of collecting bottle openers and magnets from every place we where, but we havent found any good ones. Actually the only place where there were some was some little shop in Quadrant Shopping Centre, but there are not the best - we look for some with pictures of Swansea on them (for magnets, bottle opener can have only "Swansea" on it). Do you have any idea where there might be?

Swansea Market in the city center, walkable from the Crown Court.

Dont forget to try some cockles there too!
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 9:01]
First time in Swansea on 09:08 - Feb 1 with 1670 viewsMyFinalHeaven

First time in Swansea on 08:51 - Feb 1 by grfn

Amazing trip.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Come on you Swans.

First time in Swansea on 09:09 - Feb 1 with 1667 viewsPegojack

Good on you, mate, welcome to Swansea!

I'm going on my summer vacation to Kolobzreg.

(For the lesser educated on here, that's a resort on the Polish Baltic coast).
First time in Swansea on 09:16 - Feb 1 with 1640 viewsowainglyndwr

First time in Swansea on 09:08 - Feb 1 by MyFinalHeaven

Glad you enjoyed it.

Head for Swansea market
First time in Swansea on 09:23 - Feb 1 with 1611 viewsgrfn

Hmm, i think i was on this market (thats what i meant by Quadrant Shopping Center). We entered this shopping centre (i am not sure if this was that Quadrant i wrote about) but it was nearby Primark, and turned right. There were a lot of stations with fresh fruit and meat, jewellery shops, some tool box shops etc, but only one with souvenirs, and there were none of what i described (there were some magnets but no with pictures of Swansea)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024