Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One of the worst performances in years?! 19:47 - Aug 20 with 15519 viewsymaohyd

Well that's my take on it.

First of all, well done Hull and Mike Phelan, had a game plan, stuck to it, didn't deserve to win, but that's football...Chwarae Teg.

Yes we passed the ball around ok, but absolutely clueless from Guidolin. Completely out coached by Phelan.

I think all of us pre game would have predicted Hull adopting the tactics they did, no surprise. To adopt tactics with a slow, pedantic approach approach....crap.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

One of the worst performances in years?! on 02:47 - Aug 22 with 1547 viewsphact0rri

One of the worst performances in years?! on 19:38 - Aug 21 by Flashberryjack

No! you watched the same game as the rest of us., but with respect, when you say "how we didn't score is beyond me" couldn't that be said about Hull ?

The best team won yesterday, the sooner the Manager and the fans realise this, the quicker we can move forward.

Are you sure we watched the same match mate? As I do recall Hull scoring, twice infact. :D

But in all seriousness we had a lot of chances (not sure if I'd wage them all as Clear and cut) but we could have done better with what we had I'd think. Honestly as the Gaffer said, if he'd have put another striker on the bench with llorente not exactly pulling up fences we might have got something from the match.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

One of the worst performances in years?! on 04:20 - Aug 22 with 1525 viewsTummer_from_Texas

One of the worst performances in years?! on 18:21 - Aug 21 by Darran

Llorente was the worst player on the pitch yesterday.

This isn't taking into consideration the fact he's new,just moved to a new country and needs to settle in but he was utter gash,saying that his name is Llorente so you're probably not allowed to say that.

He wasn't even the worst player with Fernand in his name, but he was almost as putrid.

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

One of the worst performances in years?! on 09:44 - Aug 22 with 1460 viewsvetchonian

I am not sure it is one of the worst performances whilst we lost due to being outsmarted by a seasoned manager who spent many years at Alex Fergusons side I saw a few postives. We created a lot more chances in the match than we have previously only issue was we couldnt convert them. We at times had lots of bodies in the Hull area which was already congested with Hull players and we often got in each ithers way...we have often bemoaned the fact we dont get enough bodies in to the oppostions box.
Guido was frustrated at times with us not pushiong up fast enough or omoving the ball out earlier to Kingsley I am sure he will work on this . Overall yes we lost time to panic no, we have not hade the best of preseason preperation with the palyers we had at the Euros, Llorente needs time to adjust to the PL and he is used to playing with the sun on his back not in the rain like Saturday. We are in a flux new CB pairing new spine to the team ....I beleive we will get better once Siggi is back up to speed, LLorente has settled and we still have Borja to come.
Typical PS meltdown......there are still 36 games to go...this time last season there was talk of us bing in the Champions league spots and look how that ended up!

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

One of the worst performances in years?! on 09:54 - Aug 22 with 1446 viewsPrivate_Partz

One of the worst performances in years?! on 09:44 - Aug 22 by vetchonian

I am not sure it is one of the worst performances whilst we lost due to being outsmarted by a seasoned manager who spent many years at Alex Fergusons side I saw a few postives. We created a lot more chances in the match than we have previously only issue was we couldnt convert them. We at times had lots of bodies in the Hull area which was already congested with Hull players and we often got in each ithers way...we have often bemoaned the fact we dont get enough bodies in to the oppostions box.
Guido was frustrated at times with us not pushiong up fast enough or omoving the ball out earlier to Kingsley I am sure he will work on this . Overall yes we lost time to panic no, we have not hade the best of preseason preperation with the palyers we had at the Euros, Llorente needs time to adjust to the PL and he is used to playing with the sun on his back not in the rain like Saturday. We are in a flux new CB pairing new spine to the team ....I beleive we will get better once Siggi is back up to speed, LLorente has settled and we still have Borja to come.
Typical PS meltdown......there are still 36 games to go...this time last season there was talk of us bing in the Champions league spots and look how that ended up!

Great post. Some say we are not attacking at pace. We are. Some say we are not keeping possession. We are. We played against a well organised side who did the classic smash and grab. Had we converted an early chance it would have been a different story. The Burnley / Liverpool match is a shining example of this.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

One of the worst performances in years?! on 23:50 - Aug 22 with 1329 viewsBrynmill_Jack

One of the worst performances in years?! on 18:26 - Aug 21 by dickythorpe

I don't want to overreact just 2 games in but there was nothing he did yesterday that made him look special.
Let us just hope it was one of those bad days at the office that won't be repeated.
A very early reality check.
The squad and coaches need to work hard.

Perhaps it would be nice for him (standing at 6'5") if we managed to get one cross anyhere near his head. Don't fall into the Darran school o football punditry. It so isn't you Dicky

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

One of the worst performances in years?! on 10:13 - Aug 23 with 1274 viewsjack247

Every season we will have a couple of games where we just don't turn up, collectively and individually. Every time, someone will say it was one of the worst games for years. Then we will beat Man United and people will be talking top 6.

It will happen again this season, it will happen next season as well.

That was far from the worst performance in recent times, though it was disjointed and disappointing. We should really have been out of sight by half time. If Gylfi and Llorente had been fit I'm sure we would have been.
One of the worst performances in years?! on 16:24 - Aug 23 with 1204 viewsKrisP

As others have said, I think it's a ridiculous overreaction to say it was one of our worst performances in years. Brought on, in part, by the frustrations amongst our fans over the lack of early activity in the transfer window. The knives were being sharpened all summer and they had to be stowed for three halves of football. But then, two goals against the run of play and out they come. Tediously predictable.
One of the worst performances in years?! on 18:42 - Aug 23 with 1170 viewsBrynmill_Jack

One of the worst performances in years?! on 20:01 - Aug 21 by Eilian

Haven't posted on here in a long time but yesterday's performance has brought me here to rant.

Someone just mentioned that we have been dealing with Hulls type of tack ticks at the liberty for a long time and he is correct. But we have changed our system since. We aren't as good at maintaining possession in the final third as what we were. We are also considerably less effective at winning back possession in the final third as what we were.

This leaves us wide open to counter attacks and this is especially dangerous these days as counterattacking seems to be the fashionable way to play at the moment.

We used to out work pretty much every team in midfield. We have completely lost the ability to do this. There is a severe lack of energy in midfield. We also used to be able to work the ball in from the wings. We are piss poor at doing this compared to how good we used to be. We also don't switch the play very well at all anymore. W have now even lost the long diagonal ball from Ass now.

Fortunately, the amount of games where teams are going to do this to us is going to be minimal as there aren't that many teams that will pay us that level of respect at home these days.
It is far more likely that it is us that are going to be playing the counter-attacking game against most teams this year. For that to be successful we are surely going to need a strong centre-half partnership in order to soak up pressure and wait for the counter. We clearly are going to be using this approach as we have 4 solid wingers in the squad.

To deal with yesterday's problems then we could do with a greater range of skills in midfield. When we have them penned in then it's the two wingers that should be in the box with the CF. Siggi should be sitting much further back. It should be his role to provide quality balls in the box and shots from distance. The FB should push up where possible and provide delivery from the wings. The 2 DM players then recycling balls and stopping the opposition breaking out.
What it basically boils down to is we should be able to make life very uncomfortable for the opposition when they sit back. I feel that we have got plenty of pace in the side to cause problems when the wingers have space to run into.

So yeah. A High energy CM / DM who has a good range of passing who can provide good quality balls into the box as well as bring the ball out of defence to start a counter.

Also a top notch centre-half. Someone with high levels of on-field leadership would not go a miss either!

Sorry for the long post but I feel very much better for getting this off of my chest! :-D

If Siggurdsson could tackle he would be played further back but he can't. He hasn't a defensive bone in his body.

You are right about the lack of skill in the MF, a good nimble player with a good range of passing who can run at the opposition in central areas would be ideal. When other teams sit tight and deep you can't pass it through them. But a good player can carry the ball through. Unfortunately one of those would have us smashing our transfer record by 5 or 10 million so not likely this season.

So what could we have done? We could have sat deep and invited Hull onto us and tried to hit them on the break like they did to us.

What disappointed me was the lack of any decent delivery into the box. We had plenty of corners and free kicks, let alone crossing opportunities and we couldn't get one near our 6'5" striker's head. Why is that? Perhaps Siggy should step away from the corners and hand around the "D" for any half cleared balls out to volley them back in.

Login to get fewer ads

One of the worst performances in years?! on 19:05 - Aug 23 with 1155 viewsmonmouth

One of the worst performances in years?! on 18:42 - Aug 23 by Brynmill_Jack

If Siggurdsson could tackle he would be played further back but he can't. He hasn't a defensive bone in his body.

You are right about the lack of skill in the MF, a good nimble player with a good range of passing who can run at the opposition in central areas would be ideal. When other teams sit tight and deep you can't pass it through them. But a good player can carry the ball through. Unfortunately one of those would have us smashing our transfer record by 5 or 10 million so not likely this season.

So what could we have done? We could have sat deep and invited Hull onto us and tried to hit them on the break like they did to us.

What disappointed me was the lack of any decent delivery into the box. We had plenty of corners and free kicks, let alone crossing opportunities and we couldn't get one near our 6'5" striker's head. Why is that? Perhaps Siggy should step away from the corners and hand around the "D" for any half cleared balls out to volley them back in.

He plays as a deeper lynchpin with Iceland doesn't he?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

One of the worst performances in years?! on 20:55 - Aug 23 with 1133 viewsBrynmill_Jack

One of the worst performances in years?! on 19:05 - Aug 23 by monmouth

He plays as a deeper lynchpin with Iceland doesn't he?

Perhaps they've got a more generally defensive game (i.e. defend deep) and just break out now and then like Hull.

One of the worst performances in years?! on 16:00 - Aug 24 with 1077 viewsymaohyd

One of the worst performances in years?! on 09:44 - Aug 22 by vetchonian

Seasoned manager? Yes he's been around as a player and part of Fergie's staff but isn't this his first position as a manager, all be it temporary?

Planet Swans meltdown...not at all!

Mundane statements like 'We will get better' yawn.

We were home against a pretty poor Hull side in our first, home game of the season and lost. In context, for me that befits my thread title. An excellent opportunity to get the all important good start to the season that has given us such a bedrock in previous seasons, wasted...against fuc king Hull!

Imagine last season without our excellent start?!

Put it another away then as people seem to fail to grasp the point, have we lost against many worse sides at home in the Prem?

One of the worst performances in years?! on 16:17 - Aug 24 with 1069 viewsjack247

One of the worst performances in years?! on 16:00 - Aug 24 by ymaohyd

Seasoned manager? Yes he's been around as a player and part of Fergie's staff but isn't this his first position as a manager, all be it temporary?

We were home against a pretty poor Hull side in our first, home game of the season and lost. In context, for me that befits my thread title. An excellent opportunity to get the all important good start to the season that has given us such a bedrock in previous seasons, wasted...against fuc king Hull!

Put it another away then as people seem to fail to grasp the point, have we lost against many worse sides at home in the Prem?

It was a poor performance and Hull got extremely lucky. It wasn't great by any means, but wasn't an abject disaster. We really should have been ahead at half time.

There was no master plan by Phelan, nobody got out thought, they just stuck everyone behind the ball and hit us on the break. They will play the same way every away game this season. Now and then they will get lucky.

Mundane statements like 'we will get better' are a lot more realistic than melodramatic reactionary ones. We will play worse than that and win this season. We weren't a lot better at Burnley.
One of the worst performances in years?! on 16:28 - Aug 24 with 1061 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Yes it was a poor performance, no better in fact than the current League Champions managed.
Many sides have employed the same tactics as Hull with the same results, including SCFC.
We used it last season & the season before, both at home and away and won games that on paper we should have had little chance of winning.
One of the worst performances in years?! on 16:45 - Aug 24 with 1042 viewsymaohyd

One of the worst performances in years?! on 16:17 - Aug 24 by jack247

It was a poor performance and Hull got extremely lucky. It wasn't great by any means, but wasn't an abject disaster. We really should have been ahead at half time.

There was no master plan by Phelan, nobody got out thought, they just stuck everyone behind the ball and hit us on the break. They will play the same way every away game this season. Now and then they will get lucky.

Mundane statements like 'we will get better' are a lot more realistic than melodramatic reactionary ones. We will play worse than that and win this season. We weren't a lot better at Burnley.

Don't think we will play worse in the grand scheme of things. We may look worse as the opposition such as Chelsea, City etc will close us down up high and we will struggle being fluid.

Hull allowed us to play it around and I'm not sure where all the chances we apparently created came from, a half chance by Gylfi hit the crossbar, Lloriente header? Thought Hull created as much from far fewer chances.

Melodramatic statement? not from me, personally don't do bull sh it. Say it as it is, cracking opportunity wasted.

One of the worst performances in years?! on 16:56 - Aug 24 with 1024 viewsjack247

One of the worst performances in years?! on 16:45 - Aug 24 by ymaohyd

Don't think we will play worse in the grand scheme of things. We may look worse as the opposition such as Chelsea, City etc will close us down up high and we will struggle being fluid.

Hull allowed us to play it around and I'm not sure where all the chances we apparently created came from, a half chance by Gylfi hit the crossbar, Lloriente header? Thought Hull created as much from far fewer chances.

Melodramatic statement? not from me, personally don't do bull sh it. Say it as it is, cracking opportunity wasted.

Cracking opportunity wasted - definitely. One of the worst performances in years - it's subjective I suppose, but I'd personally see that as melodramatic bullshit. Each to their own.

Yeah, Hull had the better chances, no arguments. It looked pretty clear to me that neither Gylfi or Llorente was fit. We had plenty of little half chances that just got away from them around the edge of the area. Those two on form and I think we win that comfortably.

The thing that annoys me is why we have let Gylfi come back from the Euros in that condition and had Llorente done a proper pre-season when he got here? I'm guessing we think giving him the extra time in the summer is a short term hit to ensure he doesn't gas out later in the season.
One of the worst performances in years?! on 17:24 - Aug 24 with 1007 viewsvetchonian

Yes Hull the same team who last week beat last seasons Premier League champions
Had Gylfi's or Lorente's attempts gone in the first half then it may have been a different story.
As someone said to me before the game we always struggle against teams like Hull.

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

One of the worst performances in years?! on 17:37 - Aug 24 with 997 viewslonglostjack

One of the worst performances in years?! on 18:42 - Aug 23 by Brynmill_Jack

One thing that we should be able to do with the speed of our wingers is get the ball to the byline and cut it back in at pace behind the defenders. Always difficult to defend against. Maybe that's where Baston will come in to play with well timed runs into the box.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

One of the worst performances in years?! on 17:52 - Aug 24 with 989 viewsjack247

One of the worst performances in years?! on 17:37 - Aug 24 by longlostjack

One thing that we should be able to do with the speed of our wingers is get the ball to the byline and cut it back in at pace behind the defenders. Always difficult to defend against. Maybe that's where Baston will come in to play with well timed runs into the box.

Only seen him on YouTube but that looks like his game. Siggy as well if he has someone ahead of him drawing defenders away
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024