Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One player we need back next season 12:47 - Apr 25 with 7672 viewsPlazex

Michu.
Discuss.

Poll: Where will we finish?

One player we need back next season on 12:05 - Apr 26 with 1321 viewsjack247

One player we need back next season on 12:00 - Apr 26 by Dr_Winston

Bit puzzled by that assertion too.

We didn't pay £8m for someone to play behind a striker. We've already got loads of those.

I normally have a lot of time for your opinions but you must be able to see he isn't an out a centre forward? Anyone can say they model their game on Inzaghi, he was a goal poacher. Paloschi drops deep into midfield and links with runners. If he did base his game on Inzaghi, it has been well coached out of him.

He can do a job there as can Ayew, but Gomis and Eder are the only out and out centre forwards we have.
One player we need back next season on 12:18 - Apr 26 with 1315 viewsDr_Winston

One player we need back next season on 12:05 - Apr 26 by jack247

I normally have a lot of time for your opinions but you must be able to see he isn't an out a centre forward? Anyone can say they model their game on Inzaghi, he was a goal poacher. Paloschi drops deep into midfield and links with runners. If he did base his game on Inzaghi, it has been well coached out of him.

He can do a job there as can Ayew, but Gomis and Eder are the only out and out centre forwards we have.

I certainly don't see him as a number ten.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

One player we need back next season on 12:21 - Apr 26 with 1299 viewskarnataka

One player we need back next season on 12:18 - Apr 26 by Dr_Winston

Ok, so if Paloschi's not a #10 and not and out and out striker, what is he? Sounds like another Ayew because he's neither of those either.
One player we need back next season on 12:23 - Apr 26 with 1299 viewsLegend83

One player we need back next season on 12:18 - Apr 26 by Dr_Winston

I see him as the proverbial 'fox in the box' being played as a lone striker in a team that doesn't serve to his strengths - it's no wonder he has to drop deep to get in the game given how narrow we play and that no other player risks getting in behind to get the low, hard crosses in that I am sure he would thrive off.

I don't think he has the requisite vision to play the 10 role.
One player we need back next season on 12:34 - Apr 26 with 1279 viewsjack247

One player we need back next season on 12:23 - Apr 26 by Legend83

I see him as the proverbial 'fox in the box' being played as a lone striker in a team that doesn't serve to his strengths - it's no wonder he has to drop deep to get in the game given how narrow we play and that no other player risks getting in behind to get the low, hard crosses in that I am sure he would thrive off.

I don't think he has the requisite vision to play the 10 role.

Are you just basing that on him saying he models himself on Inzaghi? I know he hasnt had loads of chances, but his finishing doesn't appear good enough to be a goal poacher. The only time I could really see that was his goal at Spurs.

His vision is fine, look how he links with Gylfi and the wingers. My worry is he can be great one game and anonymous the next, like at Bournemouth.

'Proverbial foxes in the box' don't drop deep and get involved in build up even if the midfield is not creating anything. They stay on the shoulder of the last defender hoping to get a half chance. Coming deep just takes them out of the area they can impact the game from.
One player we need back next season on 12:34 - Apr 26 with 1278 viewsQuakerJack

If we want players back, go get Joey and Wilf... Michu's gone, we need to accept that and move on... just in case anyone's wondering, Ferrie Bodde has also had it, so we don't want him back either

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

One player we need back next season on 12:57 - Apr 26 with 1255 viewsLegend83

One player we need back next season on 12:34 - Apr 26 by jack247

Are you just basing that on him saying he models himself on Inzaghi? I know he hasnt had loads of chances, but his finishing doesn't appear good enough to be a goal poacher. The only time I could really see that was his goal at Spurs.

His vision is fine, look how he links with Gylfi and the wingers. My worry is he can be great one game and anonymous the next, like at Bournemouth.

'Proverbial foxes in the box' don't drop deep and get involved in build up even if the midfield is not creating anything. They stay on the shoulder of the last defender hoping to get a half chance. Coming deep just takes them out of the area they can impact the game from.

From Wales Online:

Where does he play?

He's an out-and-out striker.

Don't expect him to be able to fill in out wide on the odd occasion, he'll be direct competition for Eder and Bafetimbi Gomis.

But he won't be a like-for-like replacement for the Frenchman. Whilst he is a good finisher, he's not as strong in the air.

IIRC he also played as 'striker' for Chievo.

I agree with you he has certainly not played like that so far for the Swans but IMO the issue is the Swans are still stuck in Bony-mode with every striker - 99% of the time our front man receives the ball with his back to goal. This is likely a tactic, but for me it's one that won't allow the likes of Paloschi to shine.

Compare to Borini (a similar type player in style and stature IMO) who thrived with us in the Championship with Sinclair and Dyer allowing him to play on the front foot.
One player we need back next season on 13:00 - Apr 26 with 1250 viewsDaggyjack

You're getting confused, it's Gomis who models his game on Inzaghi, he's offside about 10 times a match just like Pippo was.
Login to get fewer ads

One player we need back next season on 13:06 - Apr 26 with 1240 viewsjasper_T

Chievo play with a diamond, and Paloschi spent most of his time on the right, running into channels with a strike partner on the left and a Gylfi in behind them. Lone striker isn't something he has much experience with, although the skills required (holding up the ball, linking with midfielders, chasing lost causes) are definitely in his locker.

I'm still not sure he's good enough to be the main man in a Premier League side.
One player we need back next season on 13:08 - Apr 26 with 1239 viewsjack247

One player we need back next season on 12:57 - Apr 26 by Legend83

From Wales Online:

Where does he play?

He's an out-and-out striker.

Don't expect him to be able to fill in out wide on the odd occasion, he'll be direct competition for Eder and Bafetimbi Gomis.

But he won't be a like-for-like replacement for the Frenchman. Whilst he is a good finisher, he's not as strong in the air.

IIRC he also played as 'striker' for Chievo.

I agree with you he has certainly not played like that so far for the Swans but IMO the issue is the Swans are still stuck in Bony-mode with every striker - 99% of the time our front man receives the ball with his back to goal. This is likely a tactic, but for me it's one that won't allow the likes of Paloschi to shine.

Compare to Borini (a similar type player in style and stature IMO) who thrived with us in the Championship with Sinclair and Dyer allowing him to play on the front foot.

Reading that, I'm guessing they wrote it before he played for us. I was expecting an out and out striker too. He clearly isn't one.

I'd agree on Borini, he was the closest match we have had to Paloschi recently. He wasn't a #10, but he wasn't a centre forward either. You certainly wouldn't call him a goal poacher. Hence Sunderland playing him on the wing as well as up front.

I'd also agree on the way we play our strikers, I mentioned further up that we played Gomis as if he was Bony for too long. I wouldn't say we have done that with Paloschi though, he seems to have freedom to move out wide or deep into midfield to get involved with play. Nothing wrong with that at all and it hints that Guidollin would eventually look to play the kind of football we had become accustomed to. It's not what an out and out centre forward does though, particularly a goal poacher.
One player we need back next season on 13:14 - Apr 26 with 1228 viewsjack247

One player we need back next season on 13:06 - Apr 26 by jasper_T

Chievo play with a diamond, and Paloschi spent most of his time on the right, running into channels with a strike partner on the left and a Gylfi in behind them. Lone striker isn't something he has much experience with, although the skills required (holding up the ball, linking with midfielders, chasing lost causes) are definitely in his locker.

I'm still not sure he's good enough to be the main man in a Premier League side.

Which is more of a Borini type role and I can certainly see him being suited to that. Probably more than anything else. I really don't think he is a lone striker though, he doesn't have the size or strength to compete with big centre backs (though he does use the strength he has and his low centre of gravity well to hold up and link) and so far at least, his finishing hasn't been the best.
One player we need back next season on 13:31 - Apr 26 with 1201 viewsLegend83

All agreed.

One thing is for certain, sometimes a player comes along and you really hope he succeeds - Paloschi seems to have a brilliant attitude and appears passionate about playing for the Swans (and / or Guido). Can you imagine him having come on as a sub against Chelsea and just leisurely plodded about?

I hope he comes good for us because I like the guy.
One player we need back next season on 13:46 - Apr 26 with 1188 viewsjack247

One player we need back next season on 13:31 - Apr 26 by Legend83

All agreed.

One thing is for certain, sometimes a player comes along and you really hope he succeeds - Paloschi seems to have a brilliant attitude and appears passionate about playing for the Swans (and / or Guido). Can you imagine him having come on as a sub against Chelsea and just leisurely plodded about?

Definitely.

His attitude looks bang on, he seems intelligent and versatile. If we can find the right way to use him, which I have no doubt Guidollin will be able to do if he gets the chance to stay on and bring in his own players, he could be a very important player for us.
One player we need back next season on 14:03 - Apr 26 with 1163 viewstomdickharry

One player we need back next season on 13:31 - Apr 26 by Legend83

All agreed.

Agree with what you say,we could see the best of him next season having preseason behind him and also this season's experience.
One player we need back next season on 16:27 - Apr 26 with 1103 viewsPrivate_Partz

One player we need back next season on 11:13 - Apr 26 by jack247

Laudrup had to go. His managerial record shows that. He seemed to get itchy feet wherever he went. I thought bringing Monk in for the Cardiff game was a masterstroke but didn't expect him to get the job permanently. The 8th place the following season was whatever you would call the exact opposite of a blessing in disguise.

His inexperience and stubbornness cost us big time and we are paying for it now.

ML went because of his style of management. Not the football. Huw was not happy with him going off on holidays and rubbing shoulders with all the sporting stars of the world for the whole close season and leaving Tutu to do the deals. Remember this guy was operating with the full knowledge of ML. Huw did not like this. He wanted a manager here 24/7 in the close season. This scenario should have been discussed before his initial appointment. The egos took over and the rest is history. I blame both sides for that.
Laudrup did not have itchy feet. Tutu was prevented getting his deals done as he was kicked out of the club. We then failed to bring in any of ML's first choices. It has been said injuries and Europa league commitments that affected our performances. We also had warring factions within the club. Had Huw backed ML then we still would have had a clear out but it would have been a whole group of different players.
We missed a great opportunity. Discussions and a bit of humility would not have gone amiss.
I supect lessons have been learned on both sides hence we now seem to be looking for a Laudrup type signing rather than going in house on the cheap.
The next managerial appointment is crucial. They need to be paid top whack to get the best. They need to be given a budget to work on but have FULL control over transfers within that target.
Hence I hope Rodgers is not selected as I don't think he has a big enough reputation and therfore does not have the pulling power or the ability in the transfer market.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2016 16:29]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

One player we need back next season on 16:32 - Apr 26 with 1096 viewsDr_Winston

Would be somewhat hypocritical of Huw to insist on a manager who stays at his desk throughout close season when he so rarely does himself.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

One player we need back next season on 16:49 - Apr 26 with 1090 viewsPrivate_Partz

One player we need back next season on 16:32 - Apr 26 by Dr_Winston

Would be somewhat hypocritical of Huw to insist on a manager who stays at his desk throughout close season when he so rarely does himself.

I always thought that. Martinez and Monk did it and Brendan only took a week or two. ML's idea was to leave his list of targets with his agent and head off to the playgrounds of the stars. In all fairness this was a bit of a shift for any of us to get used to but that is the way when you have a superstar as a manager I guess. ML is not alone I would wager. I doubt Fat Sam and Co would do any different although I doubt they would have such illustrious company' on their holibops.;-)
If we give Beilsa the job I believe he charges up front. In excess of £7m and he employs his own team. Not sure how much annual leave he would want but I bet, even for a perfectionist like him, it would be a darn sight more than 14days.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2016 16:50]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

One player we need back next season on 17:02 - Apr 26 with 1074 viewsjack247

One player we need back next season on 16:27 - Apr 26 by Private_Partz

ML went because of his style of management. Not the football. Huw was not happy with him going off on holidays and rubbing shoulders with all the sporting stars of the world for the whole close season and leaving Tutu to do the deals. Remember this guy was operating with the full knowledge of ML. Huw did not like this. He wanted a manager here 24/7 in the close season. This scenario should have been discussed before his initial appointment. The egos took over and the rest is history. I blame both sides for that.
Laudrup did not have itchy feet. Tutu was prevented getting his deals done as he was kicked out of the club. We then failed to bring in any of ML's first choices. It has been said injuries and Europa league commitments that affected our performances. We also had warring factions within the club. Had Huw backed ML then we still would have had a clear out but it would have been a whole group of different players.
We missed a great opportunity. Discussions and a bit of humility would not have gone amiss.
I supect lessons have been learned on both sides hence we now seem to be looking for a Laudrup type signing rather than going in house on the cheap.
The next managerial appointment is crucial. They need to be paid top whack to get the best. They need to be given a budget to work on but have FULL control over transfers within that target.
Hence I hope Rodgers is not selected as I don't think he has a big enough reputation and therfore does not have the pulling power or the ability in the transfer market.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2016 16:29]

2000-02 Denmark (assistant manager)
2002-06 Brondby
2007-08 Getafe
2008-09 Spartak Moscow
2010-11 Mallorca
2012-14 Swansea City
2014- Lekhwiya

He either got itchy feet or fell out with his employers every couple of years. In all fairness he never pretended otherwise. I remember him signing a (2?) year contract and saying he wouldn't be extending it right at the outset. I think he did extend it by a year after the first season.

Like most people on here, I don't know what went on behind the scenes, but my guess is he was given an initial budget and asked to keep us in the PL. He not only did that, but got us a top half finish and won the Capital One cup playing spectacular football. I guess he then wanted to take us to the next level and knowing we would also have a Europa League campaign, went to the board asking for a bigger budget. They didn't increase it, or at least not to the extent he wanted. A missed opportunity? Almost certainly, but he reacted like a sulking child, lost interest, wasn't in Swansea as often as he was wanted here and lost the dressing room.

People can blame Monk, Williams or whoever, but it's easy to give the benefit of the doubt if it happens once, not so much to a guy who had lasted a season at each of his previous three clubs.
One player we need back next season on 17:07 - Apr 26 with 1066 viewsJBT95

Why do we need players to come back?

The only two I'd have would be Allen & Bony.
One player we need back next season on 17:16 - Apr 26 with 1057 viewsPrivate_Partz

One player we need back next season on 17:02 - Apr 26 by jack247

2002-06 Brondby
2007-08 Getafe
2008-09 Spartak Moscow
2010-11 Mallorca
2012-14 Swansea City
2014- Lekhwiya

He either got itchy feet or fell out with his employers every couple of years. In all fairness he never pretended otherwise. I remember him signing a (2?) year contract and saying he wouldn't be extending it right at the outset. I think he did extend it by a year after the first season.

Like most people on here, I don't know what went on behind the scenes, but my guess is he was given an initial budget and asked to keep us in the PL. He not only did that, but got us a top half finish and won the Capital One cup playing spectacular football. I guess he then wanted to take us to the next level and knowing we would also have a Europa League campaign, went to the board asking for a bigger budget. They didn't increase it, or at least not to the extent he wanted. A missed opportunity? Almost certainly, but he reacted like a sulking child, lost interest, wasn't in Swansea as often as he was wanted here and lost the dressing room.

People can blame Monk, Williams or whoever, but it's easy to give the benefit of the doubt if it happens once, not so much to a guy who had lasted a season at each of his previous three clubs.

True his record is not great. neither is Frankie's or Beilsa's for that matter. Swansea is different gravy however. We have countless examples of players and managers who were no great shakes coming here and improving their careers immensely. Conversely players and managers that leave rarely improve their lot.
Sulking like a spoilt child? I think there were egos at play but it was on both sides, not just one. The fact is we needed a successful ML more than he needed us. Football is like a hobby to him hence he is offski when he gets given a rough ride. On this occasion he had to be sacked although I supect he would have gone in the close season. It is all history anyway.
I am much more interested In who is appointed now as it is absolutely crucial and I really hope we are not going backwards and getting BR. IMHO we need a top continental coach with lots of contacts. I think Frankie should be given a chance due to his reputation in Italy but I think that ship could very well have sailed.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2016 17:18]

One player we need back next season on 11:10 - Apr 27 with 1008 viewsicecoldjack

One player we need back next season on 17:02 - Apr 26 by jack247

2002-06 Brondby
2007-08 Getafe
2008-09 Spartak Moscow
2010-11 Mallorca
2012-14 Swansea City
2014- Lekhwiya

Fair post.

I think laudrup was quoted in the press as the players he wanted being well within budget, it's just that when he gave the list to huw to sort out none of them,maybe 1 , was signed .

I think that's where the reference came from huw regarding the bony transfer being something that gave him nightmares with the fee paid ! We signed him quite late if I recall and the fee was more than the original agreed. So bit of a panic buy and not the top choice maybe?

He signed an extension at the request of the club too, I think it's fair to say that laudrup preferred a smaller squad with higher end quality, and on reflection his method here has proven to be the best one.

Looking at some of the steady eddy types we have signed since all sucking out 25k a week I can see the logic .

no doubt loads went on behind the scenes and in the end maybe the swans lost out, maybe not .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024