Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon 09:01 - Feb 7 with 11060 viewsjackb

Are there downsides to this, must be some I suppose but looks pretty positive on the whole, would be amazing to see it come to fruition

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-26072805

http://www.tidallagoonswanseabay.com/film.aspx
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 19:43 - Feb 7 with 2794 viewsSwanzay

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-26072805
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 20:24 - Feb 7 with 2770 viewsUxbridge

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 14:22 - Feb 7 by Scotia

Can't say too much unfortunately.

They've just made stupid claims to get the public on side, like it being a centre for international watersports. In the middle of the lagoon is the sewage outfall for all of East Swansea - would you swim in that?

The best is on the BBC website today, a comment from them saying - if one if these was built in Bridgewater bay there would be no flooding on the Somerset levels!

Fair play though they have made it sound brilliant though.

The quote is from a Uni professor not that company. He seems better placed to comment.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 20:32 - Feb 7 with 2762 viewsjackb

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 15:30 - Feb 7 by Scotia

Unless the good people of St Thomas like looking out to sea and towards Somerset. It's gonna be massive. Also from Mumbles looking towards Port Talbot all you'll see is a huge wall.

have you actually liked at plans/design, because that statement is just nonsense
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 20:45 - Feb 7 with 2750 viewsScotia

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 20:24 - Feb 7 by Uxbridge

The quote is from a Uni professor not that company. He seems better placed to comment.

I did get that wrong, it is from a uni professor.

Still he is talking total rubbish about the Somerset levels. He's right about the welsh coast though.

This thing is going to be enormous, it will switch off the tide cycle of swansea bay and decimate wildlife. It's also going to be enormous, not just in circumference but height.

Whoever said about the subsidies they want is right, that's how they plan to fund it. Basically from the tax payer.

I'm not totally against it, but from what I've seen the company seem incredibly naive, and instead of pumping out all this nonsense they should concentrate on some proper science. To be honest I'd rather they experimented somewhere else rather than swansea bay. I'm a bit of a nimby but I like the bay the way it is.
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 20:52 - Feb 7 with 2740 viewsScotia

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 20:32 - Feb 7 by jackb

have you actually liked at plans/design, because that statement is just nonsense

Yes I have, and not just the ones on their holiday brochure website.
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 21:03 - Feb 7 with 2732 viewsmax936

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 20:45 - Feb 7 by Scotia

I did get that wrong, it is from a uni professor.

Still he is talking total rubbish about the Somerset levels. He's right about the welsh coast though.

This thing is going to be enormous, it will switch off the tide cycle of swansea bay and decimate wildlife. It's also going to be enormous, not just in circumference but height.

Whoever said about the subsidies they want is right, that's how they plan to fund it. Basically from the tax payer.

I'm not totally against it, but from what I've seen the company seem incredibly naive, and instead of pumping out all this nonsense they should concentrate on some proper science. To be honest I'd rather they experimented somewhere else rather than swansea bay. I'm a bit of a nimby but I like the bay the way it is.

I haven't taken much notice of it all to be honest, although I did think about the fishing prospects with all that deep water and the tide race, there's an awful lot of Bass around that area in the warmer months and with that lagoon the fishing should be very good if its ever built, but I agree with your last sentence, it would probably look a right eyesore looking over from the Mumbles area and looking from the Aberavon area.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 09:47 - Feb 8 with 2693 viewsswanny

Re the marine side of the project - they are actually going to re introduce oysters into Swansea Bay, Marine biologists from Swansea University have been working on this project for some time in conjunction with the Tidal Project

'Sorry, your password must contain a capital letter, two numbers, a symbol, an inspiring message, a spell, a gang sign, a hieroglyph and the blood of a virgin"

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 12:06 - Feb 8 with 2659 viewscontroversial_jack

The taxpayer subsidising a private company once again so they can rip us off with high prices later.
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 12:08 - Feb 8 with 2655 viewsJackfath

Anyone who is against this scheme in the current financial climate must needs their heads read. It's groundbreaking. Will introduce jobs and attract visitors. Spin offs for small businesses around the area.

Has to be encouraged.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 12:12 - Feb 8 with 2649 viewsScotia

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 12:08 - Feb 8 by Jackfath

Anyone who is against this scheme in the current financial climate must needs their heads read. It's groundbreaking. Will introduce jobs and attract visitors. Spin offs for small businesses around the area.

Has to be encouraged.

Funnily enough that's exactly what the company who are going to make millions out of it are saying too.
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 12:17 - Feb 8 with 2638 viewsJackfath

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 12:12 - Feb 8 by Scotia

Funnily enough that's exactly what the company who are going to make millions out of it are saying too.

as would any company? if eveyone had the attitude, it will be ugly, it will effect the wildlife, the outlook etc then nothing would ever got done and swansea would remain a backwater for other places.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 14:05 - Feb 8 with 2612 viewsBanosswan

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 12:17 - Feb 8 by Jackfath

as would any company? if eveyone had the attitude, it will be ugly, it will effect the wildlife, the outlook etc then nothing would ever got done and swansea would remain a backwater for other places.

Which is exactly how Swansea tends to react to developments. The new uni campus is in the wrong place, the lagoon will be an ugly white elephant, the boulevard scheme is a pointless waste of money.

I don't want us to turn in to cardiffians, where we actively chase every development under the sun and prostitute ourselves to the highest bidder, but the fact remains that developments such as these will make Swansea a unique, interesting place, which will then lead to further investment and improvements.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 12:19 - Feb 9 with 2580 viewsCatullus

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 09:52 - Feb 7 by yescomeon

Big fan of this project. I really think that Wales has a bright future in marine renewables.

I agree. The only thing that puzzles me is why are there so few turbines despite the size of the lagoon?
Is there a knowledgeable person who can enlighten me? I had expected to see a lot more, maybe twice as many. If the current prediction is enough power for 55-60000 homes, why not upscale?
I don;t know how much it will cost per unit but I do believe if we are talking renewables and the running costs are not exorbitant, that government should be doing this kind of thing. Private business always profiteers. I have a huge bee in my bonnet about power companies and private investment. And if the government was reaping the profits, our taxes could be lowered or our services given more investment.
I was told recently that Sweden has a higher tax rate for the rich than us and there aren't any complaints because they are societally better off than us. Most aspects are in a better condition, education, law and order and health, whatever you look at they are better. I don't know for sure if that's true but if it is our government needs to look at increasing revenue and privatised power certainly makes profits. Maybe it's time for government to hand out contracts of employment that are more like private business and take our national assets back. The day of the easy ride is over!!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 14:22 - Feb 9 with 2555 viewssingalongajack

i've been following this idea since it was first proposed by Tidal Electric(american co) back in 2004. w atkins were the engineers on the project and it was to cost £80m for half the size(my brother works for atkins)
this plan was scrapped and about 5/6 years later we had a £850m plan for double the size.
when this new lot started putting their ideas about, there was nothing online about who they were, who they employed etc.
then last year when i checked their website i see they've employed some seriously qualified international proffessionals.
this then got me thinking
who owns the high to low tide, traditionally.
this person is likely to command serious attention from high class proffessionals and that is who they are employing.
i have no doubt that this lagoon will go ahead.
actually im all for it.
can you imagine a world class revolving restaurant out in the bay?
what about a surf reef that would pick up the swell that made it around the pier thus dissapating the tidal erosion around the mouth of the neath river,
what if we became the largest farmer of crustaceans/samphire/whatever in n euro?
this is all well and good, but i think the people of swansea should recieve some benefit from having a monstrous wall built in a bay prettier than naples apparently.
if the town has cheaper electricity bills, then house prices will rise,
if we are the centre of excellance for exquisite seafood cuisine then they'll come from miles around.
like i say i'm all for utillising free energy.
but there are things that need to be ironed out with the people of swansea, before we get bulldozered into just accepting them blighting our view for no gain to the town.
it will probably go through,
so the more fuss we make about what we want now, the more chance we'll get some of it.
fewer turbines could cause a larger head pressure of water to be funnelled through them
dont let them ram us
start thinking what you want out of this
its our town
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 13:39 - Feb 10 with 2489 viewsCatullus

You think fewer turbines would be better? I don't know much about the science but, doesn't more turbines equate to higher production?
After aall the tide comes in and goes out and can be funnelled as they choose via good design.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 13:48 - Feb 10 with 2412 viewsDyfnant

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 13:39 - Feb 10 by Catullus

You think fewer turbines would be better? I don't know much about the science but, doesn't more turbines equate to higher production?
After aall the tide comes in and goes out and can be funnelled as they choose via good design.

Still going to be governed by the holding capacity in the lagoon, no point in emptying it in 2 hours with more turbines when half the number can run twice as long.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 15:32 - Feb 10 with 2395 viewsmacthejack

There's all ready a few huge eye-sores looking from the mumbles.

Port Talbot, the huge white facade of Singleton hospital and the three rancid tower blocks in Sketty.

I don't see how one more will make a difference.
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 09:54 - Feb 11 with 2336 viewsCatullus

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 13:48 - Feb 10 by Dyfnant

Still going to be governed by the holding capacity in the lagoon, no point in emptying it in 2 hours with more turbines when half the number can run twice as long.

In thought the lagoon was going to be tidal. that is to say, power would be generated by the ebb and flow of the tide and not by simply filling it up and emptying it.
I apologise for my ignorance on this. I haven't looked at the science or the specs.
Do we need a lagoon at all? Could we just sink some foundations and put turbines across the mouth of the bay. Just leave a big enough gap for ships and boats. They could sit on the sea bed. The tide will still flow and they would still produce power. There wouldn't be an eyesore then either.

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 10:31 - Feb 11 with 2329 viewsjackb

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 09:54 - Feb 11 by Catullus

In thought the lagoon was going to be tidal. that is to say, power would be generated by the ebb and flow of the tide and not by simply filling it up and emptying it.
I apologise for my ignorance on this. I haven't looked at the science or the specs.
Do we need a lagoon at all? Could we just sink some foundations and put turbines across the mouth of the bay. Just leave a big enough gap for ships and boats. They could sit on the sea bed. The tide will still flow and they would still produce power. There wouldn't be an eyesore then either.

From what I understand they will close the 'gates' to build up a head of water on each tide then open at max head to get a greater flow
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 10:34 - Feb 11 with 2327 viewsDyfnant

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 09:54 - Feb 11 by Catullus

I'm also unsure as I've assumed it was going to hold the water as they're calling it a lagoon.
Couple of things for sure, it won't be a major visitor attraction if they end up dotted around the UK coast and I'm bewildered how anyone could safely use it for water sports, when thousands of gallons a minute are going to be channeled through turbines for the majority of the time it has any decent level.
As someone said earlier, locally we need to see a direct benefit to this. Free electricity to all our council buildings would be a start

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 10:39 - Feb 11 with 2321 viewsBloodyhills

One day oil will run out. Alternative energy sources need to be introduced.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 13:37 - Feb 11 with 2302 viewsyescomeon

Before anything like this is built a full geophysical survey of the site will be undertaken to assess the effect of the project on the sedimentary environment. Also they effect on the marine wildlife will also be studied and any possible effect of the tides that the lagoon may have. They wont be throwing this thing down without knowing what they are doing.

Upthecity!

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 15:34 - Feb 11 with 2279 viewsmacthejack

I spoke to mate who does zoology at the uni and apparently the whole bioscience department are against it. I feel, however, that nature is powerful and adaptable and the lagoon could create an interesting and vibrant habitat. I'm only going off guesswork though, to be honest I'm willing to sacrifice a few molluscs and seagulls for the future of the planet.
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 16:35 - Feb 11 with 2260 viewscontroversial_jack

My understanding is that. the companies involved want govt subsidies for at least 30 years. This will mean the taxpayer once again funding private companies to allow them to make huge profits which will go overseas and will mean more expensive costs for the public.
Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 17:48 - Feb 11 with 2240 viewsjohnlangy

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon on 18:38 - Feb 7 by Swanzay

As Peter Hain is against it, I'm even more for it!

I believe what he said was that the Severn barrage, which he is in favour of, would produce something like 50 (can't remember the actual number but it's big) times the power output of the lagoon. The barrage would produce about 6% of the UK's entire power needs. So if 50 is the correct number we'd need 50 lagoons to generate the same amount of power. The lagoon is costing about £700 million so 50 would cost about £35 billion. And i'm certain that there aren't 50 coastal areas in the UK with a tide capacity of Swansea Bay so they couldn't be built anyway. And the barrage would cost a fraction of £35 billion.

From what i've heard the lagoon idea does sound good but so far we have only had the development companies spin on it, which, unsurprisingly, is positive. I haven't heard much about the negative aspects. Maybe we should hear that side of things before we comment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024