Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 09:39 - Jan 30 with 20564 viewsineyrewetrust

ROCHDALE FC TODAY LOST A HERO A TRUE HERO AND ONE OF THE NICEST GENTLEMAN IN FOOTBALL AND LIFE.

SLEEP TIGHT REG ALWAYS REMEMBER ARE CHATS X
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 12:29 - Jan 30 with 2700 viewsToffeemanc

http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/article/reg-jenkins-passes-away-628147.aspx

Article now on official website confirming there will be a minutes applause before kick-off on Saturday.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 12:35 - Jan 30 with 2666 viewsG_Dale

RIP the a legend and a gentleman.

I met him at the promotion do at the club a few years back. He was more than happy to have a photo with me and my mates. Really genuinely nice bloke

Poll: Dale player. Do you use it?

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 12:40 - Jan 30 with 2655 viewsrafc1984

Very sad news. I too never got the chance to see him play, but the stories Ive heard from my Dad and others, tell me what a true pro and a gentleman he was.

RIP Reg Jenkins
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 12:47 - Jan 30 with 2642 viewsnordenblue

Sad news all round,too young to ever watch him play sadly but going off conversations he'd certainly fit the term legend,a permanent memory should be set in place at the ground
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 12:49 - Jan 30 with 2631 viewselectricblue

RIP Reg.....a true footballing gent..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 12:50 - Jan 30 with 2628 viewsroccydaleian

R.I.P. Reg.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 12:51 - Jan 30 with 2627 viewssandylaner1

Never had the opportunity to see him play

Glad can be there Saturday to give him the send off he deserves

RIP Reg
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 13:06 - Jan 30 with 2584 viewsfirgrovedale51

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 09:44 - Jan 30 by BigKindo

RIP Reg. I only posted yesterday about his scoring a volleyed goal which broke the net.

I was there behind the goal the night he broke the net.
RIP big fella a lot of people are called gentlemen or heroes but you truly were those and more .
Login to get fewer ads

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 13:20 - Jan 30 with 2566 viewspioneer

Legend and gentleman. On top of what everyone else has said - he would stand and sign every kids autograph book - had time for everybody and anybody.

How the hell did we manage to keep him for 8 years?

I suspect we will have to campaign to get some permanent memorial - like the Reg Jenkins Stand.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 13:30 - Jan 30 with 2544 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Reg is more than a footballing hero in Rochdale.

Everyone who met him and/or saw him play seems to have a story to tell about the man. His legend puts him in the folk hero bracket.

His goals scored record won't be surpassed in modern football at Dale. His goalscoring ratio was bettered in Rochdale history though, by Albert Whitehurst (1923-28) scored 117 goals in 169 appearances.

So we get a goalscoring maching every 40 years or so:

Whitehurst (1923-1928) - 1.44 games per goal
Jenkins (1964-1973) - 2.56 games per goal
Dagnall (2006-2010) - 2.59 games per goal

Roll on 2048!!!
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 13:33 - Jan 30 with 2530 viewskrafty80

Also too young to have seen him play myself, his name was never far from any family anecdote I heard about Dale in the '60s and 70s. I hope the club do come up with a suitable way of honouring his memory.

RIP
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 13:35 - Jan 30 with 2525 viewsColDale

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 12:29 - Jan 30 by D_Alien

It would also be good if his family could have this thread printed out and sent to them.

I'll do that
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 13:38 - Jan 30 with 2514 viewsjudd

R.I.P. Reg - true legend.

Rename the Stadium.

Poll: What is it to be then?

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 13:39 - Jan 30 with 2511 viewsaleanddale

RIP Reg

a true Dale legend.

I just missed his playing days but feel like i know him with all the stories written about him.

Gone but not forgotten.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 13:43 - Jan 30 with 2498 viewsHarry_Dale

What devastating news. RIP to the greatest Dale player!

I'm too young to have seen him play, but I do know what a true gent he is. I got to meet him on the night of the Original Promotion re-union at the Town Hall. My father arranged that evening where all the '69 promotion winning side got together.

Ever since then, Reg has sent a gift and a letter every Christmas to my dad and out family. We literally received our gift a few weeks ago.

Truly gutted! Rest in Peace Reg x
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 13:51 - Jan 30 with 2309 viewsguiseleyfan

RIP Reg.

A privilege to have seen you play.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 13:52 - Jan 30 with 2304 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 13:43 - Jan 30 by Harry_Dale

What devastating news. RIP to the greatest Dale player!

I'm too young to have seen him play, but I do know what a true gent he is. I got to meet him on the night of the Original Promotion re-union at the Town Hall. My father arranged that evening where all the '69 promotion winning side got together.

Ever since then, Reg has sent a gift and a letter every Christmas to my dad and out family. We literally received our gift a few weeks ago.

Truly gutted! Rest in Peace Reg x

Harry, was that not at the Midway Hotel in Castleton..? The 30 years anniversary...
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 13:54 - Jan 30 with 2298 viewsAndyH

'To live on in the hearts and minds of thousands is never to die....'

A true legend in the history of our club...

Our thoughts are with his family at this very sad time..

RIP Sir Reg...

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 14:01 - Jan 30 with 2269 viewsHarry_Dale

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 13:52 - Jan 30 by Albert_Whitehurst

Harry, was that not at the Midway Hotel in Castleton..? The 30 years anniversary...

Probably!

I saw him before - I wasn't old enough to go in!
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 14:09 - Jan 30 with 2247 viewsAndyH

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 14:01 - Jan 30 by Harry_Dale

Probably!

I saw him before - I wasn't old enough to go in!

Pardon me for jumping in but it was the 25th Anniversary in December 1994 at the Town Hall. I do remember that all the players were introduced one by one as they made their way onto the stage at the beginning.... the atmosphere was electric!

The last player to make his way was of course the big man... Sir Reg!

The standing ovation continues today.....
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 15:42 - Jan 30 with 2145 viewsarchdale

This dreadful and distressing news. I immediately recall a number of his goals, in particular these:
A thirty yarder against Oxford in Autumn 1964. The ball hit the net 2 feet high and was still rising.
The net buster previously mentioned - against Crewe I think in March'65
His hat trick against Fleetwood in the FA Cup
2 goals in the promotion game against Southend
A twenty yarder into the top corner at Prenton Park in '71 when we were facing relegation.
And he hit them equally hard with either foot.
After he had scored there was no overt celebration. Rather he would walk sheepishly back to the half way line while receiving his teammates' congratulations.
It was a pleasure and an honour to have watched him play.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 15:49 - Jan 30 with 2135 viewsSandyman

As one of the older fans lucky enough to see him play for his final few years at Rochdale, all you have read about Reg as a player is true. Reg was a defining factor in us becoming keen Dale fans in preference to any other club.

Was fortunate enough to meet Sir Reg on a few occasions - one of which sticks out today. He'd come back on one of his visits to renew old acquaintances and attended a night game - can't remember which but would have been during the 2000's. I'd gone in The Church for a post match pint / inquest as usual and Sir Reg was at the bar. Had a brief chat with him and insisted on buying him a pint as a small token of thanks for what he'd done for The Dale. Half an hour later, whilst having a game of pool, the barmaid came in with a pint and said "That's yours". I looked bemused. "The white haired gentleman in the corner insisted on buying you one" she said.

Gentleman, in the true sense of the word is the legacy Reg will leave us - that, and being one hell of a forward. Thank you Mr Jenkins.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 15:56 - Jan 30 with 2119 viewsnewall

One of lifes true Gentlemen, I was a ballboy in the first promotion season and he used to give me a lift home to Syke if the weather was bad.
never had a bad bone in his body, should be seen as an example for the overpaid tossers who play now.
RIP big fella....
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 16:20 - Jan 30 with 2070 viewsdalenumber2

We were neighbours and his two kids were my friends. It was knowing Reg that got me going to watch Rochdale all those years ago. Sad news. Thoughts are with Norma, Andrew and Helen.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 17:17 - Jan 30 with 2019 viewsDorsetDale

I never met the man nor saw him play so consider myself worse off than the fortunate people who are able to stake claim to both or either.

To echo others, re-naming a stand is the least to be expexted. The real wonder is why it never happened while he was still alive!

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024