Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Euro 2024 - observations and a final word 14:20 - Jul 15 with 1171 viewssaint901

First, on the day Spain were a better team and deserved to win.

Second, I struggle to understand the England set up. We put in a low block meaning that if we did win the ball it would be inside our defensive third. The "out" ball would then have to be either to a CF who could hold on to it long enough for help to arrive, or a fast counter break. With Kane in poor form and being easily brushed aside, the "long ball and hold it" was a non starter. With Kane clearly struggling, a fast counter was never going to happen. We saw when Watkins and Palmer came on, that Spain were vulnerable to a counter but until then, we did not have the players to exploit it.

Third, we played with the attitude of limiting what Spain could do to us rather than what we could do to them. Lack of confidence? Lack of plan? Lack of enough players of sufficient ability? The first two perhaps, not the third.

Fourth, we have the players in this generation to make a difference. Bellingham, Foden, Saka, Rice, Mainoo, Gheui should be the core of the next team. Kane is finished at this level. Stones had a good tournament but did not play like he can for City and that's what we need, a CB with the ability to bring the ball into midfield and draw defenders to him. Shaw/Tripper were competent as was Pickford. Walker is not going to make the next tournament and should be replaced. Given that we seem reluctant to throw the ball into the box, a player like Grealish to "win" free kicks in crossing situations is probably a luxury and I'd play a fast striker like Watkins in preference.

Fifth, the Spanish have moved on from tika taka. They now pass the pass less often before putting it in places to hurt the opposition. We need to do that. The WC is 2026. Too soon for a new generation coached in the Spanish manner to be in place but the core players above already have that and we need perhaps three/four more from the present under 21 and youth teams.(Incidentally the new defender we have from Peterborough looks to be exactly right).

Lastly, I hope Southgate steps down from active coaching but stays on as adviser. The team and process is so much better now than when he started and he has left a successor in a better place. Given where we were, he deserves a gong of some description so let's give him that and then look to a new generation of manager.

Overall, we exceeded expectation to get to the final (we lost to Iceland a few weeks ago) but we now know how far we need to go to win something. I think WC 2026 might be too soon, but Euro 2028 (which is here and Ireland) should be a taregt and then WC 2030.
Euro 2024 - observations and a final word on 16:40 - Jul 15 with 1072 viewssledger

over rated english players playing with top foreign players for their club sides just when will we learn we arnt all that
Euro 2024 - observations and a final word on 17:53 - Jul 15 with 1022 viewsIfonly

The players as individuals, in their club form, can compete with the Spaniards. But as a team Spain were miles better. Our squad was as good as any in the tournament, but our team was only about 5th best.

We need to turn these matches into PL type games - high tempo, aggressive pressing, running at the defence with the ball - instead of slowing it down. Let's play to our strengths, not theirs. In this tournament, apart from Saka who did well, we only came close to that style when we went behind - and it worked every time we tried it.
Euro 2024 - observations and a final word on 21:07 - Jul 15 with 947 viewsgrumpy

Euro 2024 - observations and a final word on 16:40 - Jul 15 by sledger

over rated english players playing with top foreign players for their club sides just when will we learn we arnt all that

We had a very strong squad, but same old story they were poorly lead
Euro 2024 - observations and a final word on 22:47 - Jul 15 with 882 viewssaintmark1976

We were extremely fortunate to even get to the final.

As in the last International tournament we were once again in the easy side of the draw.

Bellingham’s last minute overhead kick kept us in an early knockout game we deserved to lose.

Kane’s theatricals contributed to gaming a penalty that never was against Holland.

In the Final itself Southgate picked a clearly out of form Kane ahead of younger in form players.

Spain were in a different league to us yesterday. They were better individually, fitter and better coached.

We haven’t won a major tournament for 58 years and that doesn’t look like changing any time soon.

Poll: Who is responsible for our poor start to the season?

Euro 2024 - observations and a final word on 08:38 - Jul 16 with 742 viewsHeisenberg

Poor tournament. 3rd place going through in most groups meant pointless games. Players look knackered and pitches were poor.

As for Southgate. Nice bloke but a terrible manager. Not once did I see him on the touch line barking out orders or getting behind the players. Tactically inept and seems to have a love in with players like Kane who was clearly unfit and holding the team back. He also turned a group of exciting players into a negative side.

Pundits on all sides talk absolute garbage.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Euro 2024 - observations and a final word on 13:59 - Jul 16 with 637 viewsBerber

Despite his 3 goals, Kane’s displays were pretty dire. He hardly won any headers, and mostly when he came back, was completely ineffective. Other than at corners, why on earth would you want your centre forward to be next to the penalty area?

I feel sorry for him, he is as honest as the day is long, and has performed excellently for us in the past, but over these championships, and the warm up games, is way, way off the standard required. maybe he will come again, but at present, does not merit a starting place, or maybe even a call up.

I have always admired him, even when folk were slagging him off earlier in his career. I hope he will be back, but fear not.

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

Euro 2024 - observations and a final word on 00:34 - Jul 17 with 546 viewssledger

hes been carrying an injury,obvious to everyone except softgate,or maybe he just didnt have the balls to drop him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024