Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stephen Dawson 16:18 - Sep 27 with 3336 viewsoddjob007

Interview in the Telegraph... good piece.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/09/27/human-cost-burys-demise-laid-bar

He’s also training with us to keep fit.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2019 16:19]
Stephen Dawson on 16:39 - Sep 27 with 3259 viewsDaleView

Yes, this is an excellent report and it shows up the human side of football. There has been plenty of "slagging off" Bury FC on this Forum but let us not forget that dozens of folk have lost their jobs when they were presumably doing thei job that they loved. It's not their fault but it is somewhat satisfying to note that The Dale have welcomed Stephen Dawson into their training facilities. This action is to be appauded.
Many Dale supporters will miss the local derby game against Bury since not only does it create a good atmosphere in the ground with a larger crowd, there is also the (friendly) bragging rights among true supporters. Personally, I regret the demise of Bury FC and I can still recall my younger days when The Dale were away and I could still travel on the train to Bury for half price and watch Second Division football there and sometimes even to Bolton when they were in the First Division.
But all is not necessarily lost. See how Newport County got back after a similar situation developed around them. It could still happen for Bury and I am sure that true football supporters would welcome them back - under new management of course.
Stephen Dawson on 16:58 - Sep 27 with 3191 viewsCleedale

Aye, but we can all come up with these sob stories in life - how many of us have been through redundancies, liquidations etc.?

Sorry, but no one quotes t'other side of the "coin"!!? - the wages that were going out!! Isn't this/hasn't that been the REAL problem and for a very long time?

But then I get to this :

"When the water was cut off at Carrington and the pitches sometimes became dangerous to train on, they would end up training at the stadium instead. “It became a running joke that we’d pray for rain,” Dawson reflects. Only this summer, the fire brigade came in to water the training pitches for a couple of days — a favour from the uncle of one of the players".

I truly hope that the Fire Brigade and their public tax-payers knew where this money was going.

You can't make this up.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2019 17:01]
Stephen Dawson on 17:01 - Sep 27 with 3169 viewsD_Alien

Stephen Dawson on 16:39 - Sep 27 by DaleView

Yes, this is an excellent report and it shows up the human side of football. There has been plenty of "slagging off" Bury FC on this Forum but let us not forget that dozens of folk have lost their jobs when they were presumably doing thei job that they loved. It's not their fault but it is somewhat satisfying to note that The Dale have welcomed Stephen Dawson into their training facilities. This action is to be appauded.
Many Dale supporters will miss the local derby game against Bury since not only does it create a good atmosphere in the ground with a larger crowd, there is also the (friendly) bragging rights among true supporters. Personally, I regret the demise of Bury FC and I can still recall my younger days when The Dale were away and I could still travel on the train to Bury for half price and watch Second Division football there and sometimes even to Bolton when they were in the First Division.
But all is not necessarily lost. See how Newport County got back after a similar situation developed around them. It could still happen for Bury and I am sure that true football supporters would welcome them back - under new management of course.

Any decent human being would extend sympathy to an employee who, through no fault of their own, lost their livelihood and wish them all the best in finding new employment

I note that Dawson seems determined to remain under contract to the former club. Maybe someone could explain what he's hoping to gain from this - or maybe he should explain that, because if i were him i'd be taking up the offers from the National League whilst he's still got legs that'll do the job whilst putting himself in the spotlight

That's the kind of thing thousands of people have to do when the company they worked for goes bust - find something else to tide them over whilst looking out for another preferred opening

I expect that's what the chef at Carrington he mentions has done, and good luck to him

[Post edited 27 Sep 2019 17:04]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Stephen Dawson on 17:26 - Sep 27 with 3066 viewsEllDale

I wonder if Messrs Frith and Burnham have read this?
Stephen Dawson on 18:04 - Sep 27 with 2960 viewsrochdaleriddler

Stephen Dawson on 16:58 - Sep 27 by Cleedale

Aye, but we can all come up with these sob stories in life - how many of us have been through redundancies, liquidations etc.?

Sorry, but no one quotes t'other side of the "coin"!!? - the wages that were going out!! Isn't this/hasn't that been the REAL problem and for a very long time?

But then I get to this :

"When the water was cut off at Carrington and the pitches sometimes became dangerous to train on, they would end up training at the stadium instead. “It became a running joke that we’d pray for rain,” Dawson reflects. Only this summer, the fire brigade came in to water the training pitches for a couple of days — a favour from the uncle of one of the players".

I truly hope that the Fire Brigade and their public tax-payers knew where this money was going.

You can't make this up.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2019 17:01]

Mean spirited post .There were no wages going out for months, people were working for nothing, being ripped off as their pensions were stolen. Let’s rightly slag bury owners off, but the ground man , players? Not for me

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Stephen Dawson on 18:26 - Sep 27 with 2898 viewsMoonyDale

Stephen Dawson on 18:04 - Sep 27 by rochdaleriddler

Mean spirited post .There were no wages going out for months, people were working for nothing, being ripped off as their pensions were stolen. Let’s rightly slag bury owners off, but the ground man , players? Not for me

I would have to agree with this, pour scorn on the owners...Rip the piss out of the wowwowwow brigade but those who worked for nothing and had their pensions rifled should rightly be off limits from blame.....

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Stephen Dawson on 20:45 - Sep 27 with 2665 viewsrochedale

Hope he gets sorted and soon. Our daughters are in the same gymnastics group and we’ve had a few chats about what’s been going on. I saluted him for his confrontation with SD2 which he appreciated. He was there Wednesday cheering us on too. Good luck Stephen!

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Stephen Dawson on 21:10 - Sep 27 with 2609 viewsThe_Knightowl

If injuries etc really start to hit could he not play for the Dale on a non contract basis as he is now a free agent?
Login to get fewer ads

Stephen Dawson on 21:16 - Sep 27 with 2594 views442Dale

Stephen Dawson on 21:10 - Sep 27 by The_Knightowl

If injuries etc really start to hit could he not play for the Dale on a non contract basis as he is now a free agent?

Why would we want him too? We’ve plenty of options in midfield and wouldn’t want to see any of them not involved because we’ve signed Dawson.

If he was a centre-half, it’d make perfect sense.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Stephen Dawson on 09:29 - Sep 28 with 2343 viewsflyerdale

I think Dawson will end up as a coach with us at some point. He's big mates with BBM so I'm sure he's being touted for a similar position our manager had previously.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024