Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochdale and Deprivation 12:03 - Apr 7 with 3035 viewsSuggers

Slightly off topic this, but I know we have people who are interested in these things and I have tried to explain what some of these facts mean for our club at the end of the note.

I have been having a look at the latest deprivation indices. They are released over 3 years and the 2010 figures have just been published.

The headlines do not make good reading and highlight the challenges our good town faces.

- Central and Falinge area is the 9th (11th in 2007) most deprived area in the country as a whole, out of over 32,000 individual areas that are monitored.
- Balderstone is the 19th (17th in 2007) most deprived in the country.
- Rochdale has 12 of its 135 areas in the worst 2% of areas in the country
- Only 1 area in Rochdale is in the top 10% of areas in the country, and that is Norden and Bamford.
- Central and Falinge is the 16th worst area for crime in the country (although Oldham has the top 3 spots and 3 in the top 10!!)
- Cenral and Falinge retains its top spot for the number 1 most deprived area in the country for unemployment, with Kirkholt getting an honourable mention as the 50th most unemployed place in the country (remember out of over 32000 individual places)
- Central and Falinge is also the number 1 poorest area in the country, with only Norden and Bamford getting into the top 10% wealthiest areas.
- To complete the picture, Central and Falinge is also the number 1 area in the country for health deprivation and disability. This could go some way to explaining why it is also the area with the highest unemployment in the country.

So folks, when we are looking at why the good folks of Rochdale do not attend football matches I think we have 2 key factors. 1) There are a large number of alternatives which dilute the potential customer base and 2) Rochdale has severe deprivation issues which inevitably lead to people being poor and not being able to afford the luxury.

Our town has an uphill battle both as a place to live, and also getting more bums on seats at our club.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024