Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bridge to Reading apparently... 23:45 - Jun 6 with 5802 viewsBrightonhoop

...no message. Apart from fark orf 'arry come home Warnock.
Bridge to Reading apparently... on 23:47 - Jun 6 with 3983 viewsLoneranger80

not to sad about losing out on Bridge... but more so the effects this could have on the club..
Bridge to Reading apparently... on 23:59 - Jun 6 with 3922 viewsHunterhoop

Good.

Whilst he's probably still a good player, he''s simply not the right type of player to be signing if we want a cultural shift amongst the playing staff.

To engender this, we must accept that talent is secondary to attitude. Doesn't mean you can't have both, just that we won't sign anyone who doesn't have the right attitude.

I would go further and specify quantifiable rules to deliver this 'right' sort. Players who have never played Prem, players who are sub-27, players who've delivered at level they are currently playing at within the last two seasons, but preferably most recent season.

Sure, we'll miss out on one or two gems but it makes the process less arbitrary by preventing what's happened in the last year happen again through poor subjective judgement, whilst also safe guarding the financial future of the club.

'Arry wouldn't like it, but tough. Not his cash and not his club.
Bridge to Reading apparently... on 00:07 - Jun 7 with 3904 viewsLoneranger80

next manager... Steve Cotterill.... christ it doesnt even bare thinking about...
Bridge to Reading apparently... on 00:21 - Jun 7 with 3858 viewsQPRDave

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 00:07 - Jun 7 by Loneranger80

next manager... Steve Cotterill.... christ it doesnt even bare thinking about...

If Tony hires Cotterill ...he can F-off too
Bridge to Reading apparently... on 00:32 - Jun 7 with 3840 viewsdeForrester

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 00:21 - Jun 7 by QPRDave

Seen Bridge 5/6 times this season for Brighton. Solid, good going forward. Maximum two year deal, not astronomical wages, we'd be silly not to go for him. Championship team of the year.

We got promoted with Clint Hill at left back.

Laughing cow's my favourite.

@RyanJoForrester

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 00:44 - Jun 7 with 3816 viewsDieByYourSide

Was probably after stupid money, his agent would've pitched it as you're paying XYZ 30/40/50k a week so therefore we want £x

Poll: And it's hi ho

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 00:47 - Jun 7 with 3806 viewsHunterhoop

Are you mad?

He is on astronomical wages! Well for our turnover this yr he is!

He's also 32.

He's also already 'peaked' in his career.

Sure, he's still pretty decent but he's not the right type of player if we're to change the culture at the club.

I presume you've never managed a large team and tried to change the culture. When all the faults are down to over paid employees, nearing the end of their career without enough get up and go and desire to succeed because there all on their last pay day waiting for retirement, signing an overpaid, end of career bloke who's already worked at a higher paid job for a bigger company isn't the answer.

We'd be mad to go for him.

Think long term not "2 games in front of you" short term.
Bridge to Reading apparently... on 00:52 - Jun 7 with 3807 viewsdeForrester

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 00:47 - Jun 7 by Hunterhoop

Are you mad?

He's also 32.

Sure, he's still pretty decent but he's not the right type of player if we're to change the culture at the club.

I presume you've never managed a large team and tried to change the culture. When all the faults are down to over paid employees, nearing the end of their career without enough get up and go and desire to succeed because there all on their last pay day waiting for retirement, signing an overpaid, end of career bloke who's already worked at a higher paid job for a bigger company isn't the answer.

Fair play. Everyone has opinions. Just saying I've been impressed with him the times I've seen this season.

As I'm posting on a messageboard, pretty easy to presume I've not managed a large team. Have you?

@RyanJoForrester

Login to get fewer ads

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 01:00 - Jun 7 with 3790 viewsrsonist

Reading don't pay high wages and you'd imagine London would have had more appeal. By the sounds of the reports Bridge has caught wind of the unrest and given us a swerve.

Of course we all want "young and hungry" players after last season but it's simplistic nonsense to throw the baby out with the bathwater and act as if experience doesn't have a place in a good team. Look at Nelsen, look at Derry and Hill when we got promoted. Redknapp has consistently got the best out of older players during his career and provided reasonable and realistic boundaries were set regarding wages and contract length his judgement should have been backed on this, otherwise why is he even here.

If we hang around until we've shifted the losers off the wage bill - and there's no guarantee of that even happening - before we rebuild the squad then we'll be dead in the water. The season kicks off in 57 days.
Bridge to Reading apparently... on 01:05 - Jun 7 with 3769 viewsHunterhoop

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 00:52 - Jun 7 by deForrester

Fair play. Everyone has opinions. Just saying I've been impressed with him the times I've seen this season.

As I'm posting on a messageboard, pretty easy to presume I've not managed a large team. Have you?

Well, an operational team with c. 150 people in. And a Sunday League club.

Managing culture and influencing is difficult in any team. Repeating the same practice as before and hoping for better results because you reckon this bloke will be different isn't smart. You have to change the approach and be disciplined about it until the ethos of the staff and culture of the team are different. From there you build the quality.
Bridge to Reading apparently... on 01:14 - Jun 7 with 3761 viewsrsonist

I say let's get rid of Redknapp and his old mercenaries and get in a young manager with bright ideas and faith in new blood like Gus Poyet.

Wait, remind me again who Bridge was playing for last season?
Bridge to Reading apparently... on 01:25 - Jun 7 with 3747 viewsdeForrester

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 01:05 - Jun 7 by Hunterhoop

Managing culture and influencing is difficult in any team. Repeating the same practice as before and hoping for better results because you reckon this bloke will be different isn't smart. You have to change the approach and be disciplined about it until the ethos of the staff and culture of the team are different. From there you build the quality.

Fair dos. I just think that as someone who was earning a ridiculous amount from City, and that was never going to sign permanently for Brighton, he really looked like he cared when playing for Brighton this season. Maybe he's not the best option, but we could do a lot worse.

@RyanJoForrester

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 05:11 - Jun 7 with 3677 viewscheeseydane

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 01:05 - Jun 7 by Hunterhoop

'everyone must be under 27 years old' ????

Of course the attitude has to change, but you need experienced guys in your squad to help the younger players. A successful team usually has a balance. The trick is getting the right sort of experienced player eg. Hill/Derry, who will help promote the desired attitude. Younger guys are more likely to respect those who lead from the front than just someone who sits on the side barking orders imo.
Plus a squad of entirely young players may bring its own problems.

I dont know Bridge personally of course, but he would be the sort of experienced player i would be looking to include, in the championship anyway.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Technology advances, unfortunately humans do not.

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 05:14 - Jun 7 with 3674 viewsCanadaRanger

Bridge to Reading? I could understand having one to Fulham...
Bridge to Reading apparently... on 05:28 - Jun 7 with 3667 viewsLandofoz89

If this is all we've got to get excited about I think I'll put off renewing my season ticket for another week!

Meet me by the railway track

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 06:42 - Jun 7 with 3604 viewsAgedR

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 00:47 - Jun 7 by Hunterhoop

Are you mad?

He's also 32.

Unfortunately TF hasn't really got the option of a corporate restructure amongst the playing staff at his disposal.

But, I suspect he is using some of these tactics to get rid; compromise agreements and voluntary redundancy, etc.

It won't be cheap any of this

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 06:44 - Jun 7 with 3604 viewsLowerloftLad

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 00:21 - Jun 7 by QPRDave

How many poor souls renewed there season tickets so far ? How many days left now till the start of the new fizzy pop league season ? We could still find ourselfs 5/6 days left racing around panic buying players and a manager with the same old story off a new ground and new training ground from tony to steer us away from proper questions like why after 3 years have absolutely no lessions been learnt

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 07:30 - Jun 7 with 3516 viewsGloucs_R

Has this been confirmed or is it like Harry to the Ukraine?

I'm with the board on this, once you get players out and reduce the wage bill.....only then can you bring players in. Basic economics.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 07:35 - Jun 7 with 3505 viewsbosh67

The concerning thing here is that TF and co either have to fully back HR and give him the means to rebuild or move him on very quickly if they don't agree with his rebuilding vision. And get someone in who they do want to back.

Roberto Di Matteo still springs to mind.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 07:39 - Jun 7 with 3498 viewsGloucs_R

They won't pay him off, they will let him walk. To be honest I'm sick of Harry now. Always moaning, negative comments, etc but you don't hear Adkins doing the same.

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 07:55 - Jun 7 with 3456 viewsizlingtonhoop

Harry now needs to do one or get off the pot.

Well done Beard I say.

Harry we care as much for your posturing as you do for our club...
Bridge to Reading apparently... on 07:56 - Jun 7 with 3452 viewsSuffolk

It's all going to end in tears!
Bridge to Reading apparently... on 07:57 - Jun 7 with 3450 viewsthame_hoops

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 07:39 - Jun 7 by Gloucs_R

They won't pay him off, they will let him walk. To be honest I'm sick of Harry now. Always moaning, negative comments, etc but you don't hear Adkins doing the same.

haha was just about to type something on these lines ^
Bridge to Reading apparently... on 07:57 - Jun 7 with 3449 viewsGloucs_R

Odds slashed as next Brighton manager

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 08:17 - Jun 7 with 3388 viewsdolcelatte

Bridge to Reading apparently... on 01:00 - Jun 7 by rsonist

Reading don't pay high wages and you'd imagine London would have had more appeal. By the sounds of the reports Bridge has caught wind of the unrest and given us a swerve.

Of course we all want "young and hungry" players after last season but it's simplistic nonsense to throw the baby out with the bathwater and act as if experience doesn't have a place in a good team. Look at Nelsen, look at Derry and Hill when we got promoted. Redknapp has consistently got the best out of older players during his career and provided reasonable and realistic boundaries were set regarding wages and contract length his judgement should have been backed on this, otherwise why is he even here.

If we hang around until we've shifted the losers off the wage bill - and there's no guarantee of that even happening - before we rebuild the squad then we'll be dead in the water. The season kicks off in 57 days.

^^^^^^^
This

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024