Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stadium Expansion 18:07 - Sep 22 with 6870 viewsjohnlangy

This question came up numerous times when we were in the PL and every time people argued that, rather than spending £15 million on the extension we should spend the money on strengthening the squad to avoid relegation. That's what we tried in Jan 2018 and we got relegated anyway.

So my question is this. We signed Ayew for £18 million or so and are paying him £4 million a year. Which means he will have cost us around £30 million by the end of his contract. So far, with what we've paid West Ham and his wages we've paid out let's say £15 million with another £15 million to go.

If we'd gone for the stadium expansion that would be in place now. And we'd have saved £15 million on our outgoings for the next few years. Meaning there could possibly have been more money available to spend in January if we're still doing well. And if we did manage to get promoted again we'd have a 30,000 stadium capable of holding all the people who couldn't get tickets last time. And then we COULD spend whatever we had on players because the stadium would be complete.

The spend on the Academy and the Fairwood training base have both proved well worth the money. And they will be there for the benefit of the Club for a very long time as would an expanded stadium.

Sensible spending on infrastructure has to be a good thing. It can't always be spend it on a new player and hope for the best which is what we did with Ayew and Bony.
Stadium Expansion on 21:10 - Sep 23 with 1307 viewsjackharris

Stadium Expansion on 21:04 - Sep 23 by Garyjack

So you don't have to walk up steps to get to the second tier then?

[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 21:07]

And walk down some steps to get to row i in the lower too!

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

Stadium Expansion on 21:16 - Sep 23 with 1296 viewsJacket

Stadium Expansion on 21:04 - Sep 23 by Garyjack

So you don't have to walk up steps to get to the second tier then?

[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 21:07]

Doh!
But without a complete redesign of the stadium I can't see more than one additional row of seats in there, because you'd still have to have a narrower concourse. I'd be imagine the advertising revenue from the large advertising boards at the bottom of the top section is higher than the revenue for the comparatively low level of additional seats. Also the cost of the work for a minimal gain would be prohibitive.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 21:17]
Stadium Expansion on 21:19 - Sep 23 with 1287 viewsGaryjack

Stadium Expansion on 21:10 - Sep 23 by jackharris

And walk down some steps to get to row i in the lower too!

It's like Jackett believes I and H have the same difference levels as all the other rows. I know he's admitted having a few when he gets into the ground, but i'm surprised they've let him in at all if he hasn't been able to make this simple observation after 14 years!
Stadium Expansion on 21:23 - Sep 23 with 1277 viewsGaryjack

Stadium Expansion on 21:16 - Sep 23 by Jacket

Doh!
But without a complete redesign of the stadium I can't see more than one additional row of seats in there, because you'd still have to have a narrower concourse. I'd be imagine the advertising revenue from the large advertising boards at the bottom of the top section is higher than the revenue for the comparatively low level of additional seats. Also the cost of the work for a minimal gain would be prohibitive.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 21:17]

It could be done at a far lower cost of building an extension, and i'say could give us another 3,000 seats taking our capacity to 24,000. More than enough for us no matter how successful we ever could be.
Stadium Expansion on 23:34 - Sep 23 with 1202 viewsCooperman

Stadium Expansion on 21:23 - Sep 23 by Garyjack

It could be done at a far lower cost of building an extension, and i'say could give us another 3,000 seats taking our capacity to 24,000. More than enough for us no matter how successful we ever could be.

I believe there are limitations with what can be done on the concourse due to legislation and safety certification surrounding stadium evacuation times. The trade off from having a wide concourse is not having entry / exit points built into the lower and upper tiers.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Stadium Expansion on 05:39 - Sep 24 with 1160 viewsTimTtam

Stadium Expansion on 15:02 - Sep 23 by Devz00

As per my initial message, we should have expanded when we first spoke about it. That would have been in the Premier League. There's no reason to do it right now.

I'm not sure about the increased revenue being enough to bring in extra players etc. Ultimately, we survived off the Premier League TV money and the ticket sales were relatively small. But to become a bigger club you need to maximise your fan base. We couldn't do that with the stadium size that we had.

Yep. We missed a chance, so now we need to wait until we are back in the PL (if we ever make it back) and are stable enough (2-3 seasons staying up).

When you compare our stadium's capacity with the other PL clubs, we are quite low. Like you say, increasing the capacity is the first step to becoming a 'bigger club'.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

Stadium Expansion on 05:43 - Sep 24 with 1160 viewsTimTtam

Stadium Expansion on 15:35 - Sep 23 by monmouth

You don’t actually have to look any further than us as an example when overambitious stadium plans nearly killed us.

It IS criminal that we could have done it but wasted the money instead on turd like Fat Frank and his ilk. Hopefully, next time we’ll strike a better balance.

Bourno will have nothing to show for it when they go down (and they will) if they don’t sort out their ground.

I think Bournemouth have started work on their new training facilities. From the looks of it, it will be world-class when completed. When that gets completed, if they are still in the PL they should start on a new stadium.

It does put pressure on them to stay up. If they go down this season they're screwed. They were mid-table when 2019 started and then went into freefall. It was only the fact that Brighton and Cardiff were awful that saved them.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

Stadium Expansion on 09:36 - Sep 24 with 1112 viewsjohnlangy

Stadium Expansion on 20:51 - Sep 23 by jackharris

‘Still having this Stadium Extension way of thinking at this moment in time is just sheer stupidity'. ‘Thank you very much jack. But i'm not talking about building it now.’
‘Well then you can class yourself as one of the NOT stupid fans.’

I was always for building an extension right up until we played Leicester City (the Season they were champions) and they walloped us 3-0, after that everything seemed to fall apart and we were in total free fall, such as with our managerial appointments.

Last season I fell back in love with coming to the Liberty, I now love the intimacy of our ground. I love the fact that we play awesome football again. We should have beaten Man City and would have with VAR.

If I had my way (without the Taylor Report) I would Terrace the East Lower and North Lowers, with old fashioned Terrace and barriers (extra step on each). The North Upper and East Upper would be safe standing. In the West Stand I would take away those hospitality boxes at the back (and that wall) and I reckon we could fit another 12 rows (ZZ becoming AA TO MM). That’s an extra 3,000 fans.

Please forgive my quick sketch...
[Post edited 23 Sep 2019 20:56]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024