Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What happened down Abertawe way 16:22 - Jul 21 with 2265 viewsInsolent_Minx

Well we had some time in your fine city and fair enough, we enjoyed our trip and hope to go back sometime in the future. However a change of hotel would seem paramount. Here's essentially what we saw and took in :

#1 The bay is outstanding. Beach is hard to walk on as no real hard sand and tide too close to the front but views are something else. Spoiled a bit by factory plants, wind turbines and industrial facilities to the west but you can see Mumbles in the other direction and took a walk towards it taking in such sights as an outdoor Lido, University and Running course with exercise utilities at certain stages.

#2 Nearly everything was written in Welsh and English. Not a problem, it was something of a nice touch, but at no point did we attempt to learn any native language. Someone on the trip over said Welsh is a very hard language to learn, I won't dispute.

#3 Visited the Rail station, thought it was a bit small for such an expansive city. No through trains, just a terminus stop. The 'ambition is critical' design is still there, it makes a certain amount of sense.

#4 Plenty of stores in the City Center, a shopping mall with it but not much in the way of different names once inside. A big screen in one part of the city showing Tennis or something or highlights of the 'Swansea Bay' program. I'd imagine it would have been some scene if they had played Wales' European Championship games a year or two ago at such a venue.

#5 Hills / Mountains in the distance that seemed inviting but possibly too hard to reach. Some of the roads were very steep, it seemed anywhere from the waterfront was on a steep incline the further you went into Town.

#6 People friendly enough, some talking in the Welsh language but not as many as thought expected when on arrival. People seem more courteous here than other places in the UK, asked for directions a number of times or place information and got satisfactory replies.

#7 People can tell when you're from elsewhere. Got asked a few times where had visited from / place of origin. One woman didn't know where Montreal was, so simply said Canada.. Still seemed a bit vague.

#8 Weather was OK, hot but not oppressive. Had a torrential rain storm early one morning but lasted a few minutes. If visiting again will probably choose later in the year, a more suitable season or month.

#9 Got woke up one morning around 3 am by some "people" returning to their hotel room. Cue bumps, loud voices, moving round and general disturbance but got off eventually.

#10 Not one mention of English soccer, or none that was evident. Made the trip that extra bit special.

#11 Cycles about that were designated to the City. Saw some on view but you need to register with a local authority to use one. Needless to say, that venture was quickly overlooked.

#12 Some design near the Oystermouth Road, a half circle or bridge thing near the beach that was an interesting model. Not sure what purpose it served but surprised to see no-one on top of it or trying out at any time.

#13 Never saw the soccer ground although was never really looking for it. The old Vetch Field stadium was believe near my hotel stay but went past a sports venue near the front a number of times, believe it was for rugby purposes or amateur level.

#14 City seemed too much to see in one visit. I'm familiar with large cities and expansive urban area but was unprepared for how big the place was, just took in what you can and keeps your eyes and ears open.

#15 The bridge that crosses between England and Wales was impressive, someone said it was a river, it looked more like an ocean. Don't think saw the actual Tawe river as was in other parts of the City during visit, it's possible it may have been sighted.

Bottom line it was a good trip. No regrets, will go back in the future. The travel time was hard, left Swansea around 12 noon on the day, got back sometime before Midnight the same day. Someone got left in Bridgend by all accounts on the way back at a rest stop as the coach wouldn't wait for missing persons. It's their policy apparently. Had to feel a bit of sympathy for whoever was involved.

Thanks for reading.

What happened down Abertawe way on 16:26 - Jul 21 with 2247 viewsPozuelosSideys

Wrong site. Try www.expedia.com

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

What happened down Abertawe way on 16:27 - Jul 21 with 2234 viewsWarwickHunt

Yeah - but did you have a Joe's ice-cream?
What happened down Abertawe way on 16:36 - Jul 21 with 2178 viewsHighjack

We have been trying to move the tide further away from the front for several years but we aren't getting any support off local or national Government.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

What happened down Abertawe way on 16:37 - Jul 21 with 2171 viewsmoonie

Quebec
Je me reviens

Jean Talon my favourite marche

Didn't find Quebecois that friendly at all and been as far up river as Sanguenay. Sensational scenery though
What happened down Abertawe way on 18:18 - Jul 21 with 1987 viewsN_T_J

What happened down Abertawe way on 16:36 - Jul 21 by Highjack

We have been trying to move the tide further away from the front for several years but we aren't getting any support off local or national Government.

🤣🤣👌
What happened down Abertawe way on 18:37 - Jul 21 with 1936 viewsexhmrc1

lovely review maybe I can respond to a few
3) The rail station is not in the nicest area of the city. Trains go direct from there to London Paddington and Manchester Piccadilly hourly. You change trains in Swansea for West Wales and the Heart of Wales lines. Trains go out the same way then divert about a mile out. Travel to other places you change at Bristol Parkway, Manchester or Paddington.
4) interesting to see your comments on the city centre. You have a very different viewpoint to some current or ex residents.
13) The vetch field was very close to the shopping mall. A hundred or so metres the other side of the bus station. This has now been turned into allotments. The Liberty stadium is approx. 2 miles out of the centre. The rugby ground you mention is a really historic place. It has housed rugby and cricket international matches and was the ground where Gary Sobers hit the first 6 sixes in a 6 ball over.
12)The bridge you refer to used to go over the main road not far from the cricket ground but was taken down by the local authority instead of being repaired. It was a historic bridge and the decision has created bad feeling amongst the city's residents.

Where did you stay whilst here.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2018 18:45]
What happened down Abertawe way on 18:45 - Jul 21 with 1902 viewssherpajacob

For a,reasonable fee I can arrange for the tide to be further away next time.

Let me know what date you'll be here, and I'll confirm the time to meet me with the cash on the seafront.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

What happened down Abertawe way on 19:24 - Jul 21 with 1837 viewsLoyal

What happened down Abertawe way on 18:45 - Jul 21 by sherpajacob

For a,reasonable fee I can arrange for the tide to be further away next time.

Let me know what date you'll be here, and I'll confirm the time to meet me with the cash on the seafront.

I'm working on the hard sand comment, maybe a grainy softner mixed overnight with cheese ...

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Login to get fewer ads

What happened down Abertawe way on 19:40 - Jul 21 with 1801 viewsSwanjaxs

Did you visit Studio95? Guaranteed a proper Swansea welcome there mush 👍

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

What happened down Abertawe way on 21:23 - Jul 21 with 1678 viewstaffpunk

Has to be a wind-up post?

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

What happened down Abertawe way on 22:01 - Jul 21 with 1623 viewsWarwickHunt

What happened down Abertawe way on 19:40 - Jul 21 by Swanjaxs

Did you visit Studio95? Guaranteed a proper Swansea welcome there mush 👍

Minx...
What happened down Abertawe way on 07:56 - Jul 22 with 1452 viewsYossarian

What happened down Abertawe way on 22:01 - Jul 21 by WarwickHunt

Minx...

WUM

"Yossarian- the very sight of the name made him shudder.There were so many esses in it. It just had to be subversive" (Catch 22)

What happened down Abertawe way on 08:15 - Jul 22 with 1424 viewsMrSwerve

Good post but you post on a Swans forum, come all the way to Swansea from Canada, and don't visit the Liberty or Vetch?

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

What happened down Abertawe way on 14:54 - Jul 22 with 1258 viewsowainglyndwr

I agree with a lot of your points.
Swansea can be far better to attract tourism.
Transport links are poor just has you pointed out to visit the valley or mountains where tourists can visit the show caves or castles are really hard to get too.
Swansea with the suburbs/surroundings towns and villages is quite sizable and populated, a metro system or some sort of link up of these communities would be great.
Hope you enjoyed and please come back.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024