Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our board of directors - tight fisted morons 18:33 - Jan 23 with 16016 viewsDICKIETAPISAJACK

Whilst we are a small fish in a big pond, (so are Bournemouth) next season the TV money goes through the roof & to a club like ours it will be like winning the lottery. It is imperative that we stay up. I don't think anyone can deny that if we had a guy that cud guarantee you 15 goals a season, we would pull clear of the dreaded drop. Yet our board turned down the opportunity to sign Naismith & Austin, as it has already been pointed out on this site, both scored today. We are ALWAYS taking the cheap option, whilst I have fully supported the conservative approach towards transfer fees in the past, risking relegation because you don't want to spend the fees that both Naismith & Austin went for is cutting your nose off to spite your face. It's greedy & stupidity by the board. The less the club spends, the more profit it makes and therefore the more dividends the directors can pay themselves. We are always doing things on the cheap, we appointed Mok cos he was cheap, we delayed sacking him to avoid paying up his contract, we placed a magnificent servant like Alan Curtis in an impossible position, because they wanted to avoid appointing a full time manager, who we would have to buy out his contract of his current club. & now we risk it all by playing Russian roulette with our premier league future. No wonder Jenkins has been bankrupt so often, he has bounced more times then Zebedee! They need to wake up, smell the coffee, & realise that they have to speculate to accumulate, just thus once. De Guzman & Sinclair is just going backwards, & will not solve the goalscoring problem. If we go down, how many of you will think we will comeback, honestly, with all bias aside? This is the one time they need to flash the cash. How much dividends do they think they can pay themselves in the championship with a half empty stadium? Tight fisted & short sighted morons

Happy Days :-)

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 20:52 - Jan 23 with 2128 viewsperchrockjack

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 20:45 - Jan 23 by MattG

I would love to see a top quality striker join us this month. but there is no player, proven goalscorer or otherwise, who can ENSURE we stay in the PL. Not one.

The ones most likely to achieve that will (a) cost a packet, (b) prefer to join a club not in a relegation battle and (c) probably not be interested in having relegation clauses in their contracts.

We could bet the farm on one of these and end up going down anyway. Where then?

Really.

Do you think gomis and Eder are viable.

Are people seriously doubting there is no player out there than can get us goals.

Board should plan as in any business

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 20:56 - Jan 23 with 2117 viewsPhil_S

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 20:52 - Jan 23 by perchrockjack

Really.

Are people seriously doubting there is no player out there than can get us goals.

Gomis and Eder are very good examples though of players we thought would get us goals and it hasn't worked out that way

which then leads onto things that are referred to in the statement
Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 21:02 - Jan 23 with 2106 viewsMattG

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 20:52 - Jan 23 by perchrockjack

Really.

Do I want to go into the rest of the season relying on Gomis and Eder? Not particularly.

Would I be prepared to gamble £20m+ on Charlie Austin keeping us up? Not particularly.

Your last sentence is spot on. The problem is that they have to plan for the next 6 years as well as the next 6 months. Of course there are players out there who could get us goals and we could probably offer them enough in terms of wages / signing-on fees / get-out clauses in the event of relegation to persuade them to join. Whether we should do is a very different matter.
Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 21:02 - Jan 23 with 2101 views3swan

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 20:31 - Jan 23 by perchrockjack

Or 3.

Source and seal a move to our club of a proven goal scorer

One who can ensure we stay at the highest level, then all the contentious issues flow away.

It's been obvious what we be needed for many months BUT it's heresy to opine we might have been dilatory in our search or simply naive.

The talk of championship and how some will still be fans is clear evidence of accepting failure.

Fans like these are the real morons.

Are these those who sit silent at home games afraid or unable to open their mouths apart from stuffing food into them.

We need people on their feet, noisy, awkward, argumentative ,passionate and stubborn believing we really do deserve to be where we are and not there to be a musical turn.

Moron here Rich

I'm not accepting championship football but it is a forum where all eventualities can be discussed.

If we go down so be it, life isn't all one way success.

Where are all these proven goal scorers that can guarantee safety? Every club is looking for them and so far haven't seen any transfer that gives that. An improvement yes, but I live in hope that the next week will give us a signing.
Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 21:09 - Jan 23 with 2069 viewsdobjack2

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 20:02 - Jan 23 by Loyal

A play on words.

Ala Michu.

Indeed they would both play where siggy plays.

If we had signed Naismith where would you start him and what would you do with siggy?
Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 22:23 - Jan 23 with 1987 viewsopinionatedjack

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 20:56 - Jan 23 by Phil_S

Gomis and Eder are very good examples though of players we thought would get us goals and it hasn't worked out that way

which then leads onto things that are referred to in the statement

Phil seriously did anyone really think Eder would get goals? Gomis is also debatable as he has never been been prolific .
Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 22:32 - Jan 23 with 1975 viewsLeonisGod

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 22:23 - Jan 23 by opinionatedjack

Phil seriously did anyone really think Eder would get goals? Gomis is also debatable as he has never been been prolific .

But we can't afford proven, prolific goalscorers from the top leagues. Gomis was a worthwhile gamble as for the two years before we signed him he was one of the best, if not the best, striker in France. We basically signed him 2-3 yrs too late. He's not the first player we've chased for years before signing - sign of a very cautious board? Given everything else we've seen from the, I'd say yes almost certainly.

Can't comment on Eder as i hadn't noticed him before he joined us. I thought he looked lively in his first few cameos (although more as a support striker pulling into the channels). He's a decent first touch and quick brain, but obviously isn't the number 9 we need.
Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 22:38 - Jan 23 with 1955 viewsLoyal

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 21:02 - Jan 23 by MattG

Do I want to go into the rest of the season relying on Gomis and Eder? Not particularly.

Would I be prepared to gamble £20m+ on Charlie Austin keeping us up? Not particularly.

Your last sentence is spot on. The problem is that they have to plan for the next 6 years as well as the next 6 months. Of course there are players out there who could get us goals and we could probably offer them enough in terms of wages / signing-on fees / get-out clauses in the event of relegation to persuade them to join. Whether we should do is a very different matter.

So we will just have to wait then.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Login to get fewer ads

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 22:40 - Jan 23 with 1951 viewsopinionatedjack

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 22:32 - Jan 23 by LeonisGod

But we can't afford proven, prolific goalscorers from the top leagues. Gomis was a worthwhile gamble as for the two years before we signed him he was one of the best, if not the best, striker in France. We basically signed him 2-3 yrs too late. He's not the first player we've chased for years before signing - sign of a very cautious board? Given everything else we've seen from the, I'd say yes almost certainly.

Can't comment on Eder as i hadn't noticed him before he joined us. I thought he looked lively in his first few cameos (although more as a support striker pulling into the channels). He's a decent first touch and quick brain, but obviously isn't the number 9 we need.

Bony was prolific .We had to pay a relatively big fee for him but it more than paid off.
Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 22:43 - Jan 23 with 1934 viewsPhil_S

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 22:23 - Jan 23 by opinionatedjack

Of course that is exactly what they believed or do you think we sign strikers knowing they wont score goals
Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 22:43 - Jan 23 with 1933 viewslifelong

Or 3.

One who can ensure we stay at the highest level, then all the contentious issues flow away.

It's been obvious what we be needed for many months BUT it's heresy to opine we might have been dilatory in our search or simply naive.

The talk of championship and how some will still be fans is clear evidence of accepting failure.

Are these those who sit silent at home games afraid or unable to open their mouths apart from stuffing food into them.

We need people on their feet, noisy, awkward, argumentative ,passionate and stubborn believing we really do deserve to be where we are and not there to be a musical turn.

How many games do you go to then and stand on your feet, noisy, awkward, argumentative, passionate and stubborn?
Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 23:36 - Jan 23 with 1878 viewsDyfnant

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 22:40 - Jan 23 by opinionatedjack

Bony was prolific .We had to pay a relatively big fee for him but it more than paid off.

Fees have moved upward again since we signed Bony, look what United paid for Depay

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 23:48 - Jan 23 with 1856 viewsPozuelosSideys

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 22:32 - Jan 23 by LeonisGod

Gomis wasnt the sign of a cautious board at all. Its pretty well documented that he intended and executed the run down of his contract so he could receive a large signing on fee from whoever would pay it. That story dragged on for about 2 years. Same with Ayew.

Bottom line is people on here seem to think that spending money guarantees success and that buying players is exactly what we need - and given some of the suggestions on here it seems that any old sh1te will do, as long as its a body. Panic, panic, panic. Throw loads of money at it and hope for the best. Tbh, id rather bring nobody in than risk a load of expensive rubbish that would be like a massive financial weight around our necks fo ryears whether we stay up or go down.

People should look at all the players who have left us - some for big money and big fees - how many have been successful? Very, very few. Sometimes signings work, sometimes they wont. But people need to take the rose-tinted ones off and realise this isnt FM.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 00:05 - Jan 24 with 1830 viewsmonmouth

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 22:43 - Jan 23 by lifelong

How many games do you go to then and stand on your feet, noisy, awkward, argumentative, passionate and stubborn?

Now you've gone and done it you moron.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 00:09 - Jan 24 with 1811 viewsDarran

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 00:05 - Jan 24 by monmouth

Now you've gone and done it you moron.

He makes a good point though the blokes a f*cking nutter.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 00:14 - Jan 24 with 1603 viewsDarran

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 22:43 - Jan 23 by lifelong

Ask the prick if he'll be at Goodison today?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 00:41 - Jan 24 with 1566 viewsNookiejack

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 18:57 - Jan 23 by Clinton

'we are always taking the cheap option'

Thats because we havent got a rich benefactor shelling out from their own pockets like most of the other clubs.
The board, who own the club, have more to lose than anyone should we be relegated. Jenkins loses his 'staying up' bonus for one. They all lose a severe devaluation of their shares.

They also realise that we cant go 'all in' on ageing forwards because
1) if we go down you have Austin on the books for 4 years at 100 grand a week which eats into the parachute funds big time.
2) If we stay up, you have Austin on the books for 4 years at 100 grand a week and a with a bad knee. When he breaks down, you cant afford another decent striker and you are back to square one not being able to score goals.. Even with the new telly money, thats a hell of an overhead.

The board may be tight-fisted, but I suggest they are not the short-sighted ones here.

Great post
Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 02:48 - Jan 24 with 1516 viewsDJack

The OP is either a Troll or a WUM. Either way he is most definitely an idiot.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 02:56 - Jan 24 with 1511 viewsDJack

Or 3.

"One who can ensure we stay at the highest level"

Can we borrow your crystal ball then.

We can do what Chelsea have done and ensure that we are the top of the table... Oh! Erm all that money well spent!

From my perspective your disappointment is massively clouding your judgement. Log off, take care of your family, keep us updated on good Aldi/Lidl offers and we will keep you abreast of the REALITY of what is happening with the Swans.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 09:16 - Jan 24 with 1438 viewsPhil_S

I think what perchie is referring to is that he wants people to stand and argue the toss and demand signings no matter what the cost to make sure we stay up

Dont want that one on my conscience should we fail
Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 09:25 - Jan 24 with 1408 viewsjack247

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 09:16 - Jan 24 by Phil_S

I think what perchie is referring to is that he wants people to stand and argue the toss and demand signings no matter what the cost to make sure we stay up

Dont want that one on my conscience should we fail

There is a balancing act between spunking £25m and £100k per week on a player and bringing in someone reasonable who improves us in the final third. I don't see the issue with spending 'the bulk of the Shelvey money' in all honesty, unless we are being run worse than appears and it has already been allocated somewhere else.

There is the risk of going down in debt if we overspend, there is also the risk of 'what if' if Gomis goes on to score another 3 goals this season and we get relegated by 2 points.
Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 09:36 - Jan 24 with 1392 viewsPhil_S

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 09:25 - Jan 24 by jack247

There is a balancing act between spunking £25m and £100k per week on a player and bringing in someone reasonable who improves us in the final third. I don't see the issue with spending 'the bulk of the Shelvey money' in all honesty, unless we are being run worse than appears and it has already been allocated somewhere else.

There is the risk of going down in debt if we overspend, there is also the risk of 'what if' if Gomis goes on to score another 3 goals this season and we get relegated by 2 points.

Who said there was an issue with spending 'the bulk of the Shelvey money'?
Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 09:42 - Jan 24 with 1372 viewsAngelRangelQS

"I don't see the issue with spending 'the bulk of the Shelvey money' in all honesty, unless we are being run worse than appears and it has already been allocated somewhere else"

Well clearly you didn't read the statement then because it said that the club had no issue paying the fee or the wages but did have an issue with that player demanding that if we get relegated he would have been released on a free.

So basically we'll have spent £12m for instance on a player in January only to give him away, for nothing, 5 months later. Given the hysterics over Bony's £19m release clause, can you imagine the stick the board would have got over that one?
Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 09:48 - Jan 24 with 1360 viewsjohnlangy

Improving us in the final third is the best part of this post. We can't spend a fortune on a proven scorer because everyone will want to buy him and we'd have to pay an astronomical fee and wages to get him.

But what if we signed someone who is a good, honest central striker who would give the team balance. Wouldn't that help the players around him and then they may be the ones who score the goals to keep us up.
Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 09:56 - Jan 24 with 1333 viewsjack247

Our board of directors - tight fisted morons on 09:36 - Jan 24 by Phil_S

Who said there was an issue with spending 'the bulk of the Shelvey money'?

Fair enough. Shouldn't have put it in quote marks. That's all anyone sensible wants though. No one wants us to sign world class players, just players better than what we have up front.

It's all very well to say they are prepared to do it, as long as they go ahead and do it. We gambled on not replacing Danny Graham and we gambled on not replacing Bony when they were sold mid season. They were much smaller gamble though, because we were in much healthier league positions. Most people would have at least had an inkling there was a good chance Gomis would need competition/replacing months ago.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024