Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cheer up Greeno 17:11 - Apr 13 with 11110 viewsjohncharles

Shit happens.
Many a time your saves have kept us in the game.
Bring on the Hammers !

Strong and stable my arse.

Cheer up Greeno on 06:56 - Apr 14 with 2271 viewsToast_R

Cheer up Greeno on 06:44 - Apr 14 by Bushman

Paddy Kenny was better than Green.

Anyone remember him?

Been following Qpr sice mid 70's and whe always had a good keeper,Parkes,Chris Woods, Seamen etc
[Post edited 14 Apr 2015 6:51]

No he wasn't. He had a great maiden season in the Championship after a shaky start but in the Premier League...really?

He was alright in the Premier League don't get me wrong but the key for me is, where he ended up after leaving QPR. Not in the Premier League.

As QPR fans we do let certain seasons where we did something special, cloud our judgement on players which is understandable given the oceans of dross we've paid good money to watch deliver f@ck all over the years.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2015 6:57]
Cheer up Greeno on 07:54 - Apr 14 with 2247 viewsstevenagehoop

Cheer up Greeno on 06:44 - Apr 14 by Bushman

Paddy Kenny was better than Green.

Anyone remember him?

Been following Qpr sice mid 70's and whe always had a good keeper,Parkes,Chris Woods, Seamen etc
[Post edited 14 Apr 2015 6:51]

So let's say those three take up 8 years who else was in that category since then over the remaining years since the 70's. My first memory was Peter Springett. Chris Woods very much like Green in that he didn't like crosses and Paddy Kenny was not better than Green

I never lie but I don't always tell the truth

Cheer up Greeno on 08:25 - Apr 14 with 2229 viewsdolcelatte

Cheer up Greeno on 06:56 - Apr 14 by Toast_R

No he wasn't. He had a great maiden season in the Championship after a shaky start but in the Premier League...really?

He was alright in the Premier League don't get me wrong but the key for me is, where he ended up after leaving QPR. Not in the Premier League.

As QPR fans we do let certain seasons where we did something special, cloud our judgement on players which is understandable given the oceans of dross we've paid good money to watch deliver f@ck all over the years.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2015 6:57]

This.

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Cheer up Greeno on 11:05 - Apr 14 with 2175 viewsAddinall

Seventeen seconds from Green's kick to the goal during which not one Ranger's foot touched the ball.Yes he mis-kicked the clearance but he could have been bailed out by a sliding challenge or,much as I hate to say it, a professional foul.
Cheer up Greeno on 12:38 - Apr 14 with 2147 viewsblacky200

Watch the goal again and you will see Fabregas had a free run all the way through the defence. Yes it was a bad kick but to lay the blame on Green is a bit harsh. It was a soft goal all round.
Cheer up Greeno on 13:08 - Apr 14 with 2130 viewsR_from_afar

Cheer up Greeno on 20:31 - Apr 13 by Sudbury_Hill_R

Agree. All he has to do is kick the ball. Don't slice it, hold the ball in front of you and kick through it straight as you can. Simple. And being an ex keeper of a good standard, it's that easy. It's the rest of a keepers actions that are tough. Kicking isn't one of them.

Which page of the Guinness Book of Records is your 100% success rate for keepers' kicks on?

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Cheer up Greeno on 13:20 - Apr 14 with 2123 viewsR_from_afar

Cheer up Greeno on 21:03 - Apr 13 by Toast_R

Hmm until Mccarthy makes a ricket then he's for the wolves too. Keepers make f@ckups, even the great ones and the nature of their position means that when it happens it results in a soft goal for all and sundry to peck at. But then over a season the defenders f@ckups probably contribute to more goals the the keepers odd one. Hark at Rio and Caulker and Dunne's habit of o.g'ing. When you consider some of the crap we've had between the sticks I reckon Green stands out above them all considering the level.

Spot on except that it's not just the keeper and the defence who are the root cause for goals. Players elsewhere on the pitch can have a hand in the Rs conceding....

We are always hard on our keepers at QPR.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Cheer up Greeno on 13:28 - Apr 14 with 2118 viewsR_from_afar

Cheer up Greeno on 21:11 - Apr 13 by paulparker

all keepers fcuk up, but its the ones who make less that are the ones who win you games or grab you a point
Green has always been a calamity ,he lacks concentration and his command of his area is really poor, he certainly isn't worth the dough we pay him , go through the seasons and Green makes all lot of mistakes that cost games ,
not being able to kick the ball out of your hands less than 20 yards is schoolboy stuff
mcarthey is the future and we need to bed him in now

How can he have always been a calamity when he was our 'keeper when the QPR record for clean sheets was established?

RFA

Login to get fewer ads

Cheer up Greeno on 13:30 - Apr 14 with 2117 viewsR_from_afar

Cheer up Greeno on 21:27 - Apr 13 by Lblock

In my time down the Rangers
Hucker
Seamen
Jan Stjkel
Chris Day
Simon Royce
All far better more solid reliable and dependable keepers than Green

I'd add Lee Camp on his day but I'm coming more from the dependability angle.
Yeah, all keepers make mistakes and their mistakes are exposed. That list of keepers above all made errors of one shape or form. The difference is you weren't sitting there always waiting for the next one to come along as you are with Green
He reminds me of Tony Roberts. Great saves but couldn't kick a cat and always had a "Norwich" moment in him.

I'd replace the tile of this thread with two different words to "Cheer Up" but that's just me.

Simon Royce? Ahem... He was pretty decent but if we are talking about mistakes, this one by Royce makes Green's pale into insignificance:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/6343463.stm

RFA

Cheer up Greeno on 13:42 - Apr 14 with 2103 viewssimmo

So we want a consistently brilliant shot stopper, that also has excellent distribution and never makes a mistake. I'm sure that won't be hard to find or to get at QPR.

The fact that until recently he's made more saves than anyone else in the league, and single handedly denied opposition time and again this season playing behind a defence and team that has been shite at preenting chances, means nothing because he has the odd mistake in him.

I wasn;t his biggest fan before and would have happily replaced him with McCarthy at the beginning of this season, but he has been in our top 3 best performers this year and deserves both his place in the team and our continued support and appreciation. Any talk about what he earns is, as usual, completely irrelevant.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Cheer up Greeno on 14:14 - Apr 14 with 2079 viewspaulparker

Cheer up Greeno on 13:42 - Apr 14 by simmo

So we want a consistently brilliant shot stopper, that also has excellent distribution and never makes a mistake. I'm sure that won't be hard to find or to get at QPR.

The fact that until recently he's made more saves than anyone else in the league, and single handedly denied opposition time and again this season playing behind a defence and team that has been shite at preenting chances, means nothing because he has the odd mistake in him.

I wasn;t his biggest fan before and would have happily replaced him with McCarthy at the beginning of this season, but he has been in our top 3 best performers this year and deserves both his place in the team and our continued support and appreciation. Any talk about what he earns is, as usual, completely irrelevant.

i dont think its so unfair/irrelevant that a bloke who earns 50k a week is expected to at least kick a ball straight or more than 30 yards ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Cheer up Greeno on 15:00 - Apr 14 with 2057 viewssimmo

Cheer up Greeno on 14:14 - Apr 14 by paulparker

i dont think its so unfair/irrelevant that a bloke who earns 50k a week is expected to at least kick a ball straight or more than 30 yards ,

The point is paying him 10-20 or 30k more or less a week won't stop him mis-hitting that kick. He's just not very good at kicking and distribution in general, if he was consistently brilliant at that, in addition to his shot stopping, etc, he probably wouldn't be at QPR.

As above I think the occasion got to him, because he's mentally fragile, although as is also pointed out - he was brilliant for us in the biggest game of his QPR career at Wembley.

Im not so fickle and spoilt that I will demand the head and immediate transfer of a player for making a mistake, albeit a costly one, in a big game. He's definitely saved us more points than he's cost us this season. You could equally point the finger at Phillips for us not getting a point, he should have scored but didn't. If this was one in a catalogue of match costing mistakes - a la Joseph Christ - I might have a different view, but Green has earnt enough credit with me to not chastise him for his error, even if I really really wish he just kicked the fckin thing properly.

Cheer up Greeno on 17:47 - Apr 14 with 2025 viewsmacclesfieldman

Cheer up Greeno on 19:12 - Apr 13 by essextaxiboy

Just have a look at the Playoff Final again . Without him we would have been out of it before Dunne , O Neill and Zamora played their part.

IMO the plan was for him to try and hit Phillips with his kicks rather than just feed Cahill and Terry with straight clearances . Its up to Isla and Phillips to switch on to that from when he had the ball in his hands .

The wind was swirling around and he was getting underneath the kicks whilst trying to hit them low and flat . I am a big fan of Isla but IMO he should have been ready for a mis kick and arguably flattened Hazard before he got away .

Green obviously has to take the ultimate blame , but Hazard took possession 35 yards from goal .

100% correct. When Green kicked, Isla was walking away with his back to the ball and not watching where the kick was going. had he been watching we may not have conceded.

Wild horses couldn't drag me away...

Cheer up Greeno on 18:02 - Apr 14 with 2010 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Cheer up Greeno on 13:08 - Apr 14 by R_from_afar

Which page of the Guinness Book of Records is your 100% success rate for keepers' kicks on?

RFA

Tell you what. Meet me any time and I guarantee, give me 100 kicks from my hands and if I don't clear every one over the halfway line I will give £500 to a charity of your choice. Even now that I'm 56 years old. Over to you.
Cheer up Greeno on 18:13 - Apr 14 with 1990 viewsjohncharles

Cheer up Greeno on 18:02 - Apr 14 by Sudbury_Hill_R

Tell you what. Meet me any time and I guarantee, give me 100 kicks from my hands and if I don't clear every one over the halfway line I will give £500 to a charity of your choice. Even now that I'm 56 years old. Over to you.

And everyone will fall to the opposing defenders and be knocked straight back at you. Stick to the day job.

Cheer up Greeno on 18:16 - Apr 14 with 1802 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Cheer up Greeno on 18:13 - Apr 14 by johncharles

And everyone will fall to the opposing defenders and be knocked straight back at you. Stick to the day job.

You are missing the point. Doesn't matter where it ends up, as long as it's beyond your own defenders.
Cheer up Greeno on 18:22 - Apr 14 with 1787 viewsPunteR

Cheer up Greeno on 18:16 - Apr 14 by Sudbury_Hill_R

You are missing the point. Doesn't matter where it ends up, as long as it's beyond your own defenders.

I don't think you could do it. I bet you'd miss kick at least 3.
I bet you definitely couldn't do it in front of 18000 people.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Cheer up Greeno on 18:25 - Apr 14 with 1781 viewsjohncharles

Cheer up Greeno on 18:16 - Apr 14 by Sudbury_Hill_R

I think you've missed the point. By a mile or two. If that's all you did you wouldn't be a professional goalkeeper very long.

Cheer up Greeno on 18:25 - Apr 14 with 1781 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Cheer up Greeno on 18:22 - Apr 14 by PunteR

I don't think you could do it. I bet you'd miss kick at least 3.
I bet you definitely couldn't do it in front of 18000 people.

You have a point which I agree with. But I'm not on 50k a week to do so. I'm not slagging Green off, merely disappointed with the result.
Cheer up Greeno on 18:31 - Apr 14 with 1771 viewssimmo

Cheer up Greeno on 18:25 - Apr 14 by Sudbury_Hill_R

You have a point which I agree with. But I'm not on 50k a week to do so. I'm not slagging Green off, merely disappointed with the result.

So if somebody gave you 50k a week, you DEFINITELY wouldn't miss one? That makes sense.

Cheer up Greeno on 18:32 - Apr 14 with 1765 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Cheer up Greeno on 18:31 - Apr 14 by simmo

So if somebody gave you 50k a week, you DEFINITELY wouldn't miss one? That makes sense.

I never missed one on feck all a week.

Edit. Although I did once take a goal kick and meant to pass to the full back, sliced it and scored in my own net. Luckily the ref knew the rules and gave a corner.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2015 18:38]
Cheer up Greeno on 18:55 - Apr 14 with 1739 viewsPunteR

Cheer up Greeno on 18:32 - Apr 14 by Sudbury_Hill_R

I never missed one on feck all a week.

Edit. Although I did once take a goal kick and meant to pass to the full back, sliced it and scored in my own net. Luckily the ref knew the rules and gave a corner.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2015 18:38]

You sure your not Robert Green?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Cheer up Greeno on 18:56 - Apr 14 with 1735 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Cheer up Greeno on 18:55 - Apr 14 by PunteR

You sure your not Robert Green?

Lol. Made my evening. Edit. Easily pleased
[Post edited 14 Apr 2015 18:57]
Cheer up Greeno on 20:14 - Apr 14 with 1691 viewsHollowayRanger

I remember 3 things from one one iffy season as a sunday league keeper for old tolly

1. at a corner I came out and punched clear only for this frank Brunos Bigger brother type come up to me and say do tha again and i'll put you in hospital (everyone watching nothing said) 2 ruddy mins later another corner I look across and he's just watching me not the ball and sure enough comes charging right at me 0-1 to them !

2. in another game we totally bossed the match so much I actually ended up on the half way line bored out of my head after 10-15 mins of not talking to anyone as they were all down the other end ,we had yet another corner when someone whacked it up into the sky , I just stood there and then it dawned on me that balls coming this way I got as far as the edge of my box before this ball bounced over me up onto the cross bar and back into my arms (jammy bastardo!)

3, taking a kickout I threw the ball a bit too far in front of me and paniced myself into streaching and toeing the ball straight at the other teams striker who it hit in the face and flew back into my arms

he wasn't very happy about that!

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Cheer up Greeno on 20:48 - Apr 14 with 1663 viewshoopstar67

Why do keepers nowadays kick the ball from their hands in a sideway motion when back in the day they would kick the ball from their hands in a forward motion in front of them? When did this start to change? i always thought it was just an unnatural way to kick.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024