Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Characters, right sorts, top blokes ... 07:41 - Apr 30 with 4622 viewsstuabd

HR keeps mentioning the need to get the right sort of characters in the squad. Anyone got any ideas of players with that kind of spirit that we could get in?

I know we can't buy Jon Walters, but I think he's the 'sort' you're looking for. Good attitude, works hard and is a leader as well. I know we nearly got him before Stoke came in for him, and he would have been a good signing.

We could also probably do with a couple of big, horrible cnts like Holt just to get through a long hard season. Barton and Holt together in the same side :).

Characters, right sorts, top blokes ... on 22:18 - Apr 30 with 679 viewsKiwi76

Characters, right sorts, top blokes ... on 17:28 - Apr 30 by Northernr

I think HR has more than proved himself as a man manager and his ability to seperate wheat from the chaff. What we're about to find out is just how motivated he is to do it all over again. I fear, from the way he speaks and his body language, that he's pretty much about to embark on this because he quite likes Fernandes, he hasn't had a better offer, and we pay him well rather than the real hunger and desire to work 24/7 to fix this which is what we really need.

Degree of nervousness for sure but seem to have commitment signalled already and that's a good sign. Think there will be some ego driving him, for next 6mths at least - not so sure how long it would last if we don't start well.
Characters, right sorts, top blokes ... on 22:24 - Apr 30 with 673 viewsqprmick

Characters, right sorts, top blokes ... on 22:18 - Apr 30 by Kiwi76

Degree of nervousness for sure but seem to have commitment signalled already and that's a good sign. Think there will be some ego driving him, for next 6mths at least - not so sure how long it would last if we don't start well.

A bit of a holiday will be good. To recharge the batteries and reflect on what he needs to do. Not an easy task.

Qprmick

Characters, right sorts, top blokes ... on 22:35 - Apr 30 with 666 viewsqprmick

Characters, right sorts, top blokes ... on 15:56 - Apr 30 by Northernr

Gorkss is one of those players like Tommy Smith who is a very decent Championship player but not quite good enough for the league above. Nothing wrong with that, Malky Mackay enjoyed quite a decent career through joining a Championship side, captaining it to promotion and then leaving immediately to do the same again somewhere else - did it with Norwich, Watford and West Ham. We could do with three or four like them, even if it meant going back for people like Smith and Gorkss.

The thing is saying we need the "right sorts" and whatever is very easy. Unless the club deliberately went out last summer and bought the "wrong sorts" it means nothing whatsoever. They didn't deliberately go out and buy arsholes last summer, so what's to stop them doing it by accident again this time?

Signing the walking wounded is what bugs me. We couldn't select a half decent forward line most of the time.

Qprmick

Characters, right sorts, top blokes ... on 23:09 - Apr 30 with 650 viewsBAWHoops

There is no exact science, however there are a few markers that you can put down.
If they are around 25 and club captain then they are worth taking a look at. They may not be the most talented but they are obviously a leader.
Examples of this are Furman (now at Doncaster after captaining Oldham aged 24), and Murphy at Crewe.
Also throw in some experienced leaders. We have had success with Hill, Derry and Nelsen recently who many would write off as over the hill but still feel they have something to prove. These players are characters and can often unite a dressing room.
I think the captain is important, it should define you as a club. We got it so wrong with Barton and Park over the last 2 seasons. Personally I'd look to Jenas or Faurlin for next year. Let them lead the team, give them the responsibility.
Of course the tricky part is getting your flair players right. For every Adel Taarabt there is a Leon Knight. They are VERY hard to accomodate in The Championship as they are so unpredictable.

So for me... players to sign.
A couple of young/mid twenties lower league leaders
An experienced pro who is still hungry, perhaps Neville from Everton
One... maybe two flair players. Maybe Redmond from Birmingham.

The rest of the team you just fill with solid Championship players. When we went up Orr, Gorkks, Mackie, Kenny, Connolly, Smith were all bog standard Championship players but we mixed them with the flair of Taarabt, Routledge and Walker along with the battle hardened Derry and Hill.

I'd go as far to say that this team might compete

....................Green...............
Onouha....Gorkkss...Hill...Ehmer
Redmond...Jenas....Faurlin...Wallace
............Bothroyd.....Mackie..........

Throw in characters like Derry, Ephraim, Neville and maybe even young Wells from Bradford and the attitude of the club would be alright

Good luck Arry.... it's a bloody tough job
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Characters, right sorts, top blokes ... on 23:48 - Apr 30 with 634 viewsHunterhoop

Characters, right sorts, top blokes ... on 23:09 - Apr 30 by BAWHoops

There is no exact science, however there are a few markers that you can put down.
If they are around 25 and club captain then they are worth taking a look at. They may not be the most talented but they are obviously a leader.
Examples of this are Furman (now at Doncaster after captaining Oldham aged 24), and Murphy at Crewe.
Also throw in some experienced leaders. We have had success with Hill, Derry and Nelsen recently who many would write off as over the hill but still feel they have something to prove. These players are characters and can often unite a dressing room.
I think the captain is important, it should define you as a club. We got it so wrong with Barton and Park over the last 2 seasons. Personally I'd look to Jenas or Faurlin for next year. Let them lead the team, give them the responsibility.
Of course the tricky part is getting your flair players right. For every Adel Taarabt there is a Leon Knight. They are VERY hard to accomodate in The Championship as they are so unpredictable.

So for me... players to sign.
A couple of young/mid twenties lower league leaders
An experienced pro who is still hungry, perhaps Neville from Everton
One... maybe two flair players. Maybe Redmond from Birmingham.

The rest of the team you just fill with solid Championship players. When we went up Orr, Gorkks, Mackie, Kenny, Connolly, Smith were all bog standard Championship players but we mixed them with the flair of Taarabt, Routledge and Walker along with the battle hardened Derry and Hill.

I'd go as far to say that this team might compete

....................Green...............
Onouha....Gorkkss...Hill...Ehmer
Redmond...Jenas....Faurlin...Wallace
............Bothroyd.....Mackie..........

Throw in characters like Derry, Ephraim, Neville and maybe even young Wells from Bradford and the attitude of the club would be alright

Good luck Arry.... it's a bloody tough job
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Interesting point that BAWHoops.

I like your thinking there regarding young leaders from the lower leagues. Unlike with a sport like cricket (where the captain is required to be very tactically astute) a football captain is more about basic communication and motivation. As such, you can never have too many "leaders" on the pitch in football. Focussing our attention on players who have demonstrable leadership skills and have been rewarded with captaincy at a young age could really pay dividends even if there skill level isn't quite up to top Champ level.

We didn't think Hill and Derry were up to scratch when we signed them. Most fans thought they were crap signings, but they were/are leaders on the pitch and make up for some of their shortfalls with hard work and they played a great role in positively influencing the likes of Adel, Routledge, etc.

1 or 2 young leaders would definitely help in the dressing room too.

Good thread this.

Characters, right sorts, top blokes ... on 23:59 - Apr 30 with 629 viewsNorthernr

I like the lad at Crewe that people are mentioning - I like a few of the Crewe players. When you buy a player from there you know he's going to have been technically well schooled, and also have a lot of discipline. Putting myself up to be shot down with a horrible example here but I don't recall any of the players that have come up through the ranks there going elsewhere and misbehaving or getting Bertie big bollocks about it. Always come across as very grounded lads. Even Nick Powell who scored a world class goal in the play off final and was on the cusp of a move to Man Utd was interviewed afterwards and said "I wouldn't rave about that goal too much, I just turned and hit it mate, sometimes they go in." Ut was a wonderful goal, technically superb.

Mind you Gradi has actively advised players against coming to QPR in the past and has always been very disparaging of us as a club when interviewed. Can't imagine why.
Characters, right sorts, top blokes ... on 03:40 - May 1 with 607 viewsstuabd

Characters, right sorts, top blokes ... on 23:59 - Apr 30 by Northernr

I like the lad at Crewe that people are mentioning - I like a few of the Crewe players. When you buy a player from there you know he's going to have been technically well schooled, and also have a lot of discipline. Putting myself up to be shot down with a horrible example here but I don't recall any of the players that have come up through the ranks there going elsewhere and misbehaving or getting Bertie big bollocks about it. Always come across as very grounded lads. Even Nick Powell who scored a world class goal in the play off final and was on the cusp of a move to Man Utd was interviewed afterwards and said "I wouldn't rave about that goal too much, I just turned and hit it mate, sometimes they go in." Ut was a wonderful goal, technically superb.

Mind you Gradi has actively advised players against coming to QPR in the past and has always been very disparaging of us as a club when interviewed. Can't imagine why.

Yeah, they do seem to churn out some good players.

When I saw your Bertie big balls comment I did however think of Savage as I think he came out of there. Then again, he certainly gave his all on the pitch.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024