Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DC's Super U's to outfox the Cumbrians at the JCS 10:49 - Oct 5 with 651 viewsdurham_exile

Should that be the JobServe Cowley Stadium I wonder.

So, a week is indeed a long time in football. Owing to the wonders of a Sky membership I was able to watch both games against Walsall and Port Vale on the new 5-year deal Sky Sports+ have struck with the EFL. Of course, I felt guilty because I would normally have driven to both games but as it turned out the result at the Bescot was shocking and we set up Scotland style virtually 4,6,0 for the first half at Vale Park. Officially it was 5,4,1 of course.

At 2-0 down at the Bescot DC made some strange substitutions which led to a much heavier defeat than if we had tried to battle back with our strikers intact. Tuesday night was truly a game of two halves and after the dreadful tactics and performance in the first half the subtle changes made in the second could have won us the game.

Now Samson Tovide is fast getting a reputation as the Pantomime villain. Certainly, his play acting on Tuesday evening won him few admirers but of course he had the last laugh with a 90th minute equaliser which was thoroughly deserved. Tovide is getting to be well known by players and officials too. He often has two or three defenders around him and the referees often fail to give him the support which he needs to avoid the man handling and physical challenges that he receives.

But he is a real footballer and he has great strength and an ability to run at defenders. He will only get better and stronger. If he can control his temper then we have a top-drawer striker at Colchester.

Expect more changes this week for the visit of Mike Williamson’s Carlisle United. The Cumbrians are struggling after their relegation from league one. Williamson himself has brought the MK Dons to Colchester on two occasions this season and now returns with his new charges. He will get little change from DC’s boys however and I expect a 2-0 home victory with TnT on the scoresheet with this 15th verses 22nd encounter.

International call ups will be effecting the U’s with Lyle Taylor joining up with the Montserrat squad (he only misses the BSM game at Orient fortunately). Our Forest loanees Jamie McDonnell and Aaron Donnelly join up with the NI Under 21 squad too.

Now I really don’t like to criticise players unfairly but Hunt is simply poor and the jury is out on Scully. I don’t think he is a midfielder but I haven’t seen much sparkle in the box to suggest he is a striker either. After his shocking injuries he is probably getting back to match fitness but he seems not to be the answer if Tovide and Taylor are unavailable.

Sadly, it would seem that Bishop and Edwards, who were both injured at the Bescot, should not be risked today.

Therefore, I would opt for the following to start against the Cumbrians in a 3,4,3 formation.

Macey

Flanagan Kells Iandolo

Egbo Read Payne Woodyard

Tovide Taylor Gordon

Subs:
Smith Goodliffe Donnelly Hopper Scully Hunt Anderson

(Injured Edwards and Bishop)

Weather today at the JCS. 16 degrees Celsius dry, sunny intervals with a gentle breeze. Ideal for football in early October.

Reasonable crowd expected 4,500 with about 200 travelling from Brunton Park.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

DC's Super U's to outfox the Cumbrians at the JCS on 14:05 - Oct 5 with 554 viewsdurham_exile

Starting XI

Macey

Hunt Flanagan Iandolo

Egbo Read Payne Woodyard

Tovide Taylor Hopper

Sub
Smith Kells Anderson Gordon McDonnell Scully Donnelly

Up the U's

Durham_exile

DC's Super U's to outfox the Cumbrians at the JCS on 15:58 - Oct 5 with 485 viewswessex_exile

Quite a difficult first half, but without letting Carlisle carve out any real clear cut chances. Need to raise the tempo for the second half though.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

DC's Super U's to outfox the Cumbrians at the JCS on 16:20 - Oct 5 with 456 viewsdurham_exile

This is a huge game today with no match next weekend

Absolutely vital that we win this

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

DC's Super U's to outfox the Cumbrians at the JCS on 16:54 - Oct 5 with 430 viewsdurham_exile

Disappointing result.

But another point for the glass half full faithful.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

DC's Super U's to outfox the Cumbrians at the JCS on 17:10 - Oct 5 with 394 viewsMoor_Pinot

DC's Super U's to outfox the Cumbrians at the JCS on 16:54 - Oct 5 by durham_exile

Disappointing result.

Up the U's

Yes Durham, another point. A clean sheet and we didn't lose.
We're not losing like we have been for the last four years or so. Relief.

Colchester United is a very sick parrot and has been in a spiral of decline for fifteen years.
To reverse this culture/norm must take an equivalent value in time, surely.
From my perspective as I reflect on the last years to finish even mid table will be a big boost to my morale because I'm sick of looking at the foot of division four as you must be too.

So, with more than a point a game thus far, a couple of dangerous strikers, two reasonably reliable midfielders and defenders and an okish goalkeeper the U's have made it up to 16th or so. It's progress....though not as we know it. And not as fast as we'd like. But for now it's as though we're teetering on the brink of something better before too long.
Mid table will do me this year. Just can't quite expect anything better. Hope to be proven wrong!

Moor Pinot

DC's Super U's to outfox the Cumbrians at the JCS on 17:13 - Oct 5 with 394 viewswessex_exile

DC's Super U's to outfox the Cumbrians at the JCS on 16:54 - Oct 5 by durham_exile

Disappointing result.

Up the U's

Frustrating, I thought we'd done enough second half to win it, but to be honest with their two late corners I feared we actually might have lost it.

Look on the bright side, at least we're not Southend or Ipshit this evening

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

DC's Super U's to outfox the Cumbrians at the JCS on 18:07 - Oct 5 with 329 viewsmfb_cufc

Highlights

Danny - It wasn't to be

[Post edited 5 Oct 18:11]

mfb

DC's Super U's to outfox the Cumbrians at the JCS on 18:19 - Oct 5 with 319 viewsbwildered

Should have started with side that finished on Tuesday. Played with five across the back with no pace down the sides, ok for an away fixture but not at home .
made us too narrow at the top end. Better second half when it was changed, but two points dropped by, by the management with too much tinkering with the starting line up .
The previous home fixture had it right, so why change, a matter of dropping square pegs in square holes .
This squad is more than capable of playing and winning home games, to a set a pattern , but 45 minutes completely wasted today in being too clever with ourselves .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Login to get fewer ads

DC's Super U's to outfox the Cumbrians at the JCS on 18:49 - Oct 5 with 302 viewsTheOldOakTree

We didn’t lose, that’s the only positive. 0-0 at home to a team that will be in the relegation zone if Stanley draw their game in hand. Hopefully with some time off we will come back from the break with a full strength squad.

….. don’t hold your breath, I know it’s blasphemous to speak ill of our sacred Lyle, but did I hear that the English born Mr Taylor is off to play for his country? No… his parent’s country…. erm no, his grandparents’ country. He can’t manage 90 mins twice in one week for the team that pays his wages and desperately needs him, but he can fly to Monserat and on to some miniscule island just off Venezuela, to play two games where he’ll likely get lumps kicked out of him by a pub team. If that happens, we are totally up shite creek now that we’ve been stupid enough to lose both Bradley and Connor Wilkinson.

From Wiki, I see we are the 20th club Lyle’s played for, so not so much a journeyman, more of an expeditionman, so I guess loyalty is not something he’s familiar with. Another bit of good business for the club?
DC's Super U's to outfox the Cumbrians at the JCS on 19:27 - Oct 5 with 206 viewsdurham_exile

DC's Super U's to outfox the Cumbrians at the JCS on 18:49 - Oct 5 by TheOldOakTree

We didn’t lose, that’s the only positive. 0-0 at home to a team that will be in the relegation zone if Stanley draw their game in hand. Hopefully with some time off we will come back from the break with a full strength squad.

….. don’t hold your breath, I know it’s blasphemous to speak ill of our sacred Lyle, but did I hear that the English born Mr Taylor is off to play for his country? No… his parent’s country…. erm no, his grandparents’ country. He can’t manage 90 mins twice in one week for the team that pays his wages and desperately needs him, but he can fly to Monserat and on to some miniscule island just off Venezuela, to play two games where he’ll likely get lumps kicked out of him by a pub team. If that happens, we are totally up shite creek now that we’ve been stupid enough to lose both Bradley and Connor Wilkinson.

From Wiki, I see we are the 20th club Lyle’s played for, so not so much a journeyman, more of an expeditionman, so I guess loyalty is not something he’s familiar with. Another bit of good business for the club?

TOOT the key point is that it was another point.
Yes I wanted all three but clean sheets are the order of the day when we shipped four at Warsaw.

Yes I'm frustrated and want so much more but Moor Pinot is absolutely right.

15 years of decline cannot be rectified in a single season however much we might will it so.

I still believe that top seven is possible but we must over come our inconsistency for that to happen.

A decent result at Orient to keep the BSM Trophy alive and then a week off.

Hopefully our Talisman Taylor will return unscathed.

We go again.
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024