Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blackburn Away 18:37 - Sep 1 with 3726 viewsFlossywop

Evening all,

Very long time lurker here. Reblochon.

I'm looking for some advice. We've moved up to Cumbria recently and I'm looking to take my kids to the odd away game. I've never really done aways myself (other than a hairy trip to Luton as a teenager) and so I've no real odea of how family friendly they are. I was looking at Blackburn on the 28th.

I'm sure there'll be some choice language and maybe a bit of aggression, but how likely do you think it is that a 6 and 8 year old will be able to have a positive day out?

Thanks all
Blackburn Away (n/t) on 18:52 - Sep 1 with 3623 viewsdenhamhoop2

Shouldn't be a problem even more so if the team isn't awful . I would suggest getting a seat as near to the front as possible because many of the away fans stand the whole game and your youngsters will struggle to see. The Fernhurst pub is the usual drinking choice for Rangers fans and have a good old chat about Rangers before the game.
Enjoy the trip to Ewood I shall be taking the option of watching it on QPR + as I cannot be asked with the 7 am start and the luck of the draw whether Avanti actually provide the trains they advertise for the bargain prices they charge
[Post edited 1 Sep 18:58]
Blackburn Away on 20:09 - Sep 1 with 3327 viewsCiderwithRsie

Welcome aboard.
Blackburn Away on 20:10 - Sep 1 with 3320 viewsBlackCrowe

Reblochon...strong work

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Blackburn Away on 20:16 - Sep 1 with 3258 viewsNorthernr

It'll be fine, and lots of space in that away end to move about and find a spot where the view is decent and the cntery on the minor side.
Blackburn Away on 20:23 - Sep 1 with 3203 viewsted_hendrix

There was a vendor outside the away end last time we was there who was selling the best meat and potato pies In the entire universe.
One of the more friendly away day crowds.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Blackburn Away on 20:28 - Sep 1 with 3150 viewsGhost_on_the_Westway

Blackburn Away on 20:10 - Sep 1 by BlackCrowe

Reblochon...strong work

Lovely in a tartiflette.
Blackburn Away on 20:29 - Sep 1 with 3144 viewsBlackCrowe

Blackburn Away on 20:28 - Sep 1 by Ghost_on_the_Westway

Lovely in a tartiflette.

god yes

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Blackburn Away on 21:05 - Sep 1 with 2956 viewsMrSheen

I went a couple of years ago and we were right up at the top. Was it low down last year?

Either way, the early kick off will keep our numbers down. You won't have to sit next to anyone too rowdy (unkess you want to).
[Post edited 1 Sep 21:17]
Login to get fewer ads

Blackburn Away on 21:14 - Sep 1 with 2866 viewsdavman

Just make sure you explain to them last season was an anomaly. It's always cold in Blackburn and we always lose 2-0 to a last minute goal (or it always seems to be the case).

We'll never sell out there, so you'll be able to pick a spot away from the "lads"; you'll probably see a few people in a similar situation to say hello to!

Where in Cumbria have you moved to?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Blackburn Away on 22:08 - Sep 1 with 2631 viewsbellomatic

I took my 9-year-old to Blackburn a couple of years ago and we had a great day out! Highly recommended.

Mostly you can avoid the aggression and kids love the choice language.

It seems that some kids really enjoy the energy of a football match, and others don't take to it so much, so best if you go with low expectations, lots of sweets and a phone in case they really get bored.
Blackburn Away on 22:24 - Sep 1 with 2559 viewsFDC

Funnily enough Blackburn away was the first game I took my daughter to, first game of the season a couple of years back, we lost 1 or 2 nil I think, she was 4 nearly 5.

Live Clive said, it's a big away end, plenty of room if you want to find a bit of space.

I was going to take her for food before tbe game in the pub down the road that everyone goes to, but that was absolutely rammed and pretty rowdy --Id remembered it being quieter the time I'd been before.
Blackburn Away on 23:10 - Sep 1 with 2372 viewsFlossywop

Really useful feedback. Thanks everyone. Sounds like it'll be a good one to start with. Their previous qpr game was that 0-0 with Stoke after the Queen died, so it can't be too much worse I hope. He's full of it at the moment after 2 wins in a week and winning a game on pens.

We've moved to Cockermouth (heh), into the house my mum grew up in, now that my grandparents are gone. It's great and affordable compared to SW Bucks where I grew up. Good people
Blackburn Away on 12:16 - Sep 2 with 1804 viewskernowhoop

A six-year-old and an eight-year-old?
I am old and I know that I am boring but, isn't that a bit young?
If they are deeply interested in football and they have the necessary attention span, maybe. Otherwise, it could be a long hard day that they might not want to repeat.
Blackburn Away on 12:21 - Sep 2 with 1767 viewsLanhoop

Blackburn Away on 12:16 - Sep 2 by kernowhoop

If they are deeply interested in football and they have the necessary attention span, maybe. Otherwise, it could be a long hard day that they might not want to repeat.

Eight years old is perfect. I'll bet the 6 year old would hate to be left out of the 'fun'.
They'll be fine as long as there are some sweets for halftime.
Blackburn Away on 12:23 - Sep 2 with 1744 viewsJuzzie

Mine are 9 (almost 10, yee gods!) and 6 and no problems. When I took my 9 year old to his first games when he was 6, I feared the attention span thing too but he was hooked. He only started to wane the last 5-10 mins as it was cold (Christmas fixtures) and it was a long day for him and his first experince of the whole day out so not surprised. Chuffed he hang on in that long. Next two games over the same Christmas period he was fine. He picked out Eze as a great player within about 20 mins, quite astute for a 6 year old! Even to this days talks about him and was chuffed when I told him this weekend he scored against that lot.

I guess it really does depend on the kids. Some will be OK, others won't.

[Post edited 2 Sep 12:25]
Blackburn Away on 12:53 - Sep 2 with 1597 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

Took my 4 year old to the pre-season v spurs. He was too young, attention span went after about 25-30 mins, snacks helped. But we also went with our friends 8 year old, her first ever live game, she was absolutely glued to it and is desperate to come again. She wasn't mad into football before but is now!
Blackburn Away on 13:06 - Sep 2 with 1539 viewsingeminate

Depends on the kid and the game I’d say. Took daughter at 4 ,who’s never liked football, to 1st win away at Forest - she had a ball and loved the atmosphere. Flip side 4 year old football mad boy was bored to tears at Brighton pre-season!

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Blackburn Away on 12:58 - Sep 3 with 1062 viewsWatford_Ranger

Did a lunchtime kick-off at Blackburn 2/3 years ago and some things are best not repeated.

A good away game to introduce kids to though from the point of view of being trouble-free and even with some good form it’ll only be the true hardcore schlepping up there. Fair to say it’s not the most exciting of places for food and drink beforehand.

In fact it was my first away- 1-0 defeat, Shearer diving for a penalty.
[Post edited 3 Sep 13:03]
Blackburn Away on 13:07 - Sep 3 with 1024 viewshantssi

Blackburn Away on 23:10 - Sep 1 by Flossywop

Really useful feedback. Thanks everyone. Sounds like it'll be a good one to start with. Their previous qpr game was that 0-0 with Stoke after the Queen died, so it can't be too much worse I hope. He's full of it at the moment after 2 wins in a week and winning a game on pens.

We've moved to Cockermouth (heh), into the house my mum grew up in, now that my grandparents are gone. It's great and affordable compared to SW Bucks where I grew up. Good people

Did a trip round the old Jennings brewery years back, good day out!
Think it’s closed now?
Lovely micro brewery in Keswick which we did last year as weather was too bad for walking!
As you can tell I love the Lakes, first visit on a school trip and listened to Virginia Wade winning Wimbledon!
Blackburn Away on 16:55 - Sep 3 with 867 viewsFlossywop

Blackburn Away on 13:07 - Sep 3 by hantssi

Did a trip round the old Jennings brewery years back, good day out!
Think it’s closed now?
Lovely micro brewery in Keswick which we did last year as weather was too bad for walking!
As you can tell I love the Lakes, first visit on a school trip and listened to Virginia Wade winning Wimbledon!

Yes, no tours now I don't think. The site has been up for sale twice in the last year but hasn't sold. I'm not a beer drinker, but a few of the local beers are really nice.

We enjoy it. Its quite an intoxicating place I think, although the weather puts some people off. No such thing as bad, weather, I've heard. Only bad waterproofs!!

My dad grew up in maryport and his radio memory was his dad insisting that they had to leave on their camping holiday during the 66 World Cup final, as the roads would be quiet!! Not sure my dad ever forgave him 🤔
Blackburn Away on 22:10 - Sep 3 with 633 viewswombat

Blackburn Away on 16:55 - Sep 3 by Flossywop

Yes, no tours now I don't think. The site has been up for sale twice in the last year but hasn't sold. I'm not a beer drinker, but a few of the local beers are really nice.

We enjoy it. Its quite an intoxicating place I think, although the weather puts some people off. No such thing as bad, weather, I've heard. Only bad waterproofs!!

My dad grew up in maryport and his radio memory was his dad insisting that they had to leave on their camping holiday during the 66 World Cup final, as the roads would be quiet!! Not sure my dad ever forgave him 🤔

If the pubis to packed there a McDonald past the ground ten mins max walking distance

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Blackburn Away on 22:15 - Sep 3 with 624 viewsloftboy

Took mine from the age of 4

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024