Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes 10:13 - Nov 5 with 29602 viewsBuckR

How are we rating our new No.9 so far then? Lack of goals so far but have to say I love his work up top. So does that out weigh the dry spell?
Dykes on 11:47 - Dec 16 with 2235 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dykes on 11:14 - Dec 16 by francisbowles

Ok Baz

17 Championship (full 90 in 10) missed 2 through Scotland injury.
2 Pre season friendlies
7 Scotland (full 90 in 1)
3 Livingstone (full 90 in all 3)

So that's 29 matches, full 90 in 14 and only once subbed before the hour.

Last season he played a total of 33!

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lyndon-dykes/leistungsdaten/spieler/347138

So an average of just under 2 games a week over 4 and a half months.

That’s a lot!
[Post edited 16 Dec 2020 11:48]
Dykes on 12:30 - Dec 16 with 2165 viewsdaveB

Dykes on 11:05 - Dec 16 by johncharles

I get the impression that if we had Kylie Minogue in the nude scoring a hat trick it still wouldn’t be good enough for you.

We should be so lucky
Dykes on 13:49 - Dec 16 with 2063 viewsR_from_afar

Dykes on 23:25 - Dec 15 by stainrods_elbow

I think it's both - he's not nearly good enough, and he's terribly isolated. I'd love to hear an honest interview with him as to how he thinks it's going so far, but of course football doesn't do that.

If Warburton and his so-called coaching team actually coached a system that got players arond him like normal football teams, would he flourish? Sadly, by my premises, still not! Tonight, for me, he found so many ways not to get into the right space, make a lunge, meet ball with head or get on the end of things, it was embarrassing to watch. I just don't see a single clear strength to his game right now. If it's true that BOS and Ilias are wary of passing to him, you have to say the best players in the team have a point - it's a bit like rough justice of the school playground! Dropping him and/or even sending him out on loan in the NY would, of course, make the 'due diligence' of The Warbler and Sir Lesley look rather indiligent, however, so it's not going to happen.

I would love to see him ram my words down my throat and can imagine he might manage three or four more of his cannonball penalties, but if he gets more than five or six more from open play this season, I'll be astonished.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 23:26]

He was in the right place when he scored against The Bees earlier this season.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Dykes on 14:44 - Dec 16 with 2004 viewsfrancisbowles

Dykes on 12:30 - Dec 16 by daveB

We should be so lucky

Dykes on 14:46 - Dec 16 with 1996 viewsflynnbo

Dykes on 14:44 - Dec 16 by francisbowles

That was especially for you.
Dykes on 15:21 - Dec 16 with 1950 viewsNorthantsHoop

Sometimes players just don't click at a club, we have had a few of those in the past, he maybe one of them. I sort of feel regardless of what happens to us, he will most likely move on at the end of the season, with a 4 year contract and a relatively successful international season may be worth us cashing in at a profit.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2020 15:23]
Dykes on 15:38 - Dec 16 with 1911 viewsGloucs_R

I can't believe people are writing him off already. I seem to recall we did the same thing for Polter.

He's had very little service, it's his first season in a highly competitive league and let's be honest we are pretty bloody awful at the moment.

I am frustrated with the fact that we have purchased three strikers but Warburton continuously starts Dykes. For his own sanity and confidence, I think the forward line should be rotated.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Dykes on 16:20 - Dec 16 with 1826 viewssupahoopsa

Anyone on here remember a very young and raw fella play for us - a certain Les Ferdinand?
He turned out pretty well once settled in.

Patience guys, patience

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

Login to get fewer ads

Dykes on 16:21 - Dec 16 with 1826 viewsswisscottage

I don't think people realise just how little time there has been to coach these players with the current schedule.

Playing twice a week, every week, I wouldn't expect the players who play being involved in any more than a couple of training sessions a week, and those will be more warm-up warm down exercises in order to help the body recover from a match.
Warburton himself has said he doesn't think that Bonne and Dykes have even trained together since the start of the season.
Dykes on 16:23 - Dec 16 with 1818 viewsDiscodroids

I've got no problem with Dykes.. He's hardly got Jean Tigana, Alain Giresse, Bernard Genghini and Michel Platini Behind Him. Roberto Bettega would struggle with a midfield weaker than skin on top of a diabetics piss supporting him.

Our Central Midfield is weaker than a Johny hates Jazz baseline . Get some steel in the middle and earn the right to play.

Perhaps i'm more unhinged than L Ron Hubbard but i believe there are few goals in Bonne, Dykes, Chair and Kelman if they get a decent crack.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2020 16:24]

".... You are the... Duke of New York... You're A-Number One!".

Dykes on 16:23 - Dec 16 with 1820 viewsNorthernr

Dykes on 16:21 - Dec 16 by swisscottage

I don't think people realise just how little time there has been to coach these players with the current schedule.

Playing twice a week, every week, I wouldn't expect the players who play being involved in any more than a couple of training sessions a week, and those will be more warm-up warm down exercises in order to help the body recover from a match.
Warburton himself has said he doesn't think that Bonne and Dykes have even trained together since the start of the season.

Yeh, and didn't it just look it last night. Two absolutely exhausted teams making really basic, fundamental mistakes through fatigue.
Dykes on 16:34 - Dec 16 with 1784 viewsqprd

I'm not willing to write off Dykes, as it is incredibly early, but the stats don't lie.

If you exclude the penalties he's taken, he's averaging less shots per game than Rob Dickie. Forget a guy like Ivan Toney who is scoring once a match. Dykes is averaging basically one good goal scoring chance every two matches. that is incredibly poor for a striker.

Fans get pissed when players shoot and miss, but what I find troubling is that Dykes is literally incapable of finding/creating shots. He seems totally clueless.

The service point is not a great excuse. And lets be honest, the 3 behind the striker are all pretty good and creative. He can have much worse supply lines. But even if I accept the service point, there are more ways to score than having the ball delivered to you in the box via crosses, flick ons, etc. He can score on corners and set pieces, create his own chances, run at defenders, score on rebounds/deflections/other poachers goals. After 16 games, you'd have expected more than 8-10 good goal scoring chances from your striker (excl penalties)

He just seems totally lost out there and always in the wrong place, and because Warburton is an incredibly stubborn man, he isnt seeing what is pretty blatantly obvious. Dykes will become Conor Washington if he is not given a game to rest and recover, and get away.

I dont think Wycombe is the match to drop him b/c we'll need his physicality, but Warbs either needs to rest him or play him with another striker to reduce the burden

separately, dykes back to the goal game and work rate are really good, so idont want to slate him too much
[Post edited 16 Dec 2020 16:35]
Dykes on 16:36 - Dec 16 with 1779 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dykes on 16:34 - Dec 16 by qprd

I'm not willing to write off Dykes, as it is incredibly early, but the stats don't lie.

If you exclude the penalties he's taken, he's averaging less shots per game than Rob Dickie. Forget a guy like Ivan Toney who is scoring once a match. Dykes is averaging basically one good goal scoring chance every two matches. that is incredibly poor for a striker.

Fans get pissed when players shoot and miss, but what I find troubling is that Dykes is literally incapable of finding/creating shots. He seems totally clueless.

The service point is not a great excuse. And lets be honest, the 3 behind the striker are all pretty good and creative. He can have much worse supply lines. But even if I accept the service point, there are more ways to score than having the ball delivered to you in the box via crosses, flick ons, etc. He can score on corners and set pieces, create his own chances, run at defenders, score on rebounds/deflections/other poachers goals. After 16 games, you'd have expected more than 8-10 good goal scoring chances from your striker (excl penalties)

He just seems totally lost out there and always in the wrong place, and because Warburton is an incredibly stubborn man, he isnt seeing what is pretty blatantly obvious. Dykes will become Conor Washington if he is not given a game to rest and recover, and get away.

I dont think Wycombe is the match to drop him b/c we'll need his physicality, but Warbs either needs to rest him or play him with another striker to reduce the burden

separately, dykes back to the goal game and work rate are really good, so idont want to slate him too much

Why would you exclude the penalties he’s taken though? What’s the difference between taking a chance in the box and a penalty?
Dykes on 16:43 - Dec 16 with 1766 viewsqprd

Dykes on 16:36 - Dec 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

Why would you exclude the penalties he’s taken though? What’s the difference between taking a chance in the box and a penalty?

b/c im referring to his ability to create/be involved in open play....hes good at penalties, sure, but thats irrelevant to my point which is that he's totally lost in every context other than taking penalties....

honestly, thinking about this. having watched most of the games this season, has dykes been the first to get his head on an attacking corner even once this season?
Dykes on 17:18 - Dec 16 with 1733 viewsBAWHoops

His link up play is good and he's obviously a decent player. I'm relaxed as I think he will bag 10-15 goals a season eventually for us.
As someone else alluded to there's zero time on the training pitch to even coach these lads at the moment

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Dykes on 17:58 - Dec 16 with 1693 viewsR_from_afar

Look, I am happy to admit that he needs to score more in open play and that we need him to contribute more to the team in general, but your statement "Dykes is literally incapable of finding/creating shots" *is* literally wrong. He scored a good goal in open play against Brentford. Probably easy to forget after all the heartache we have had to sit through since.

He needs to get better but he is already contributing positively to the team.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Dykes on 18:00 - Dec 16 with 1693 viewsNov77

Dykes on 16:36 - Dec 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

The half a dozen defenders trying to stop you taking that chance?

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Dykes on 18:02 - Dec 16 with 1687 viewsParkRoyalR

Not trying to being contrary, but.....

...'The service point is not a great excuse' ...Not sure I've ever heard this one before

....'And lets be honest, the 3 behind the striker are all pretty good and creative........ One can't cross, One can't play a 1st time pass, and not sure who the 3rd one is, but I think every pundit who has commentated on us of late has highlighted the complete lack of creativity
Dykes on 18:05 - Dec 16 with 1679 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes on 16:43 - Dec 16 by qprd

b/c im referring to his ability to create/be involved in open play....hes good at penalties, sure, but thats irrelevant to my point which is that he's totally lost in every context other than taking penalties....

honestly, thinking about this. having watched most of the games this season, has dykes been the first to get his head on an attacking corner even once this season?

Have you watched us this year?

Have you seen the quality of Chair's corners? Promising as he has been and very good of late, but even his most ardent admirer would acknowledge his corners have been very very poor.
Dykes on 19:23 - Dec 16 with 1613 viewsqprd

Dykes on 18:05 - Dec 16 by ParkRoyalR

Have you watched us this year?

Have you seen the quality of Chair's corners? Promising as he has been and very good of late, but even his most ardent admirer would acknowledge his corners have been very very poor.

you can make all the excuses you like, the bottom line is that the stats dont lie. as ive said, if you exclude penalties, rob dickie averages more shots per game than dykes. is dickie getting better service?

do you ever consider that perhaps dykes is not making the right run? the match against reading was the perfect example... chair was making a lot of runs onto his right foot from the left... dykes movement was to backpedal with his back to goal, whereas any striker with a half a brain would peel off and make a far post run

im not a massive of bonne, but just compare him ystd with dykes... yes, hes often offsides, but within the first 2 minutes, he ran behind the stoke defense for cameron to play the chipped pass.... the keeper got there first but that was a good clever run... bonne, for all his wastefulness, does seem to be involved in goal scorign chances

for a striker to be involved in 8ish goal scoring chances through 16 games is pathetic... you can see he needs to bed in, you can say hes being overplayed whatever... but the stats just arent good enough, and there are strikers who are dealing with worse creative players than chair, willock and bright who are doing much more for their teams
Dykes on 19:40 - Dec 16 with 1586 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Penalties or not, we can’t afford to drop someone who has provided 6 goals and a assist for a team that has only scored 18 goals all season.

I think the space he has created has allowed Chair more goal scoring opportunities so swings and roundabouts.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2020 19:46]
Dykes on 20:08 - Dec 16 with 1532 viewsjohncharles

Another vote for Kylie in the nude

Strong and stable my arse.

Dykes on 20:15 - Dec 16 with 1510 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes on 19:23 - Dec 16 by qprd

you can make all the excuses you like, the bottom line is that the stats dont lie. as ive said, if you exclude penalties, rob dickie averages more shots per game than dykes. is dickie getting better service?

do you ever consider that perhaps dykes is not making the right run? the match against reading was the perfect example... chair was making a lot of runs onto his right foot from the left... dykes movement was to backpedal with his back to goal, whereas any striker with a half a brain would peel off and make a far post run

im not a massive of bonne, but just compare him ystd with dykes... yes, hes often offsides, but within the first 2 minutes, he ran behind the stoke defense for cameron to play the chipped pass.... the keeper got there first but that was a good clever run... bonne, for all his wastefulness, does seem to be involved in goal scorign chances

for a striker to be involved in 8ish goal scoring chances through 16 games is pathetic... you can see he needs to bed in, you can say hes being overplayed whatever... but the stats just arent good enough, and there are strikers who are dealing with worse creative players than chair, willock and bright who are doing much more for their teams

Dykes is very effective for Scotland and has earned raved reviews from people who know more than us, because he is playing in front of a creative, top quality midfield, who pass and move. No-one could say we have that.

I believe Chair and particularly BOS are difficult to play alongside as one's first inclination is head-down dribble and create space for a shot and the other is head-down full tilt without really a plan as to what to do next, hence why BOS can be difficult to mark as no-one, least of all himself (or his No 9), knows what he's planning to do next.

We'll agree to disagree on the 3 of them, but I'm just hoping they can gel as Eze has gelled and transformed the Palace front 3, through unselfish team play and first time passing.
Dykes on 21:35 - Dec 16 with 1422 viewsCamberleyR

"I'm not willing to write off Dykes"

And then proceed to do just that...

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Dykes on 14:10 - Dec 17 with 1247 viewsPinnerPaul

Dykes on 19:23 - Dec 16 by qprd

Talking of stats, here's a couple for you and others to ponder, Source UEFA, via the Racing Post last Saturday.

Based on : Champions League last 3 seasons

Only 1 in 62 crosses result in a goal, Only 1 in 92 corners result in a goal.

Maybe why all those professional coaches favour short corners and prefer to play through the middle for goals?

Just a thought that if the multi millions rated and paid CL strikers are only scoring at that rate (yes against better defenders) then what chance has poor old Lyndon got?!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024