Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Energy bills 23:01 - Aug 24 with 45804 viewsHayesender

Watching the news earlier, they were talking about the impact these energy bill rises will have on small businesses.

It got me thinking (dangerous I know) about the potential effect it could have on our club, and other clubs of similar and smaller size?

Not only the day to day running costs and matchday costs, but also the affect its gonna have on attendances.

Obviously when it comes down to heating, eating, mortgage, rent etc, days out with mates and family watching football, or any sporting event, are gonna have to take a back seat for many people.

Unless the government (lol) take action now, its gonna be a bleak winter for many people and businesses, and I fear for people's mental well being

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Energy bills on 21:35 - Aug 27 with 3288 viewscolinallcars

Energy bills on 14:59 - Aug 27 by BucksRanger

This will cheer you up Baz.

https://www.nationaldebtclock.co.uk/

I had a flick through the Times this morning, having got stuck on one clue in the Latin crossword, and found a letter from a chap from the University of Kent. He proposed the reintroduction of the eviction moratorium for private renters that was put in place during the Covid crisis.
I think councils will be sensible about their tenants as well.
That leaves of course homeowners, who will in many cases struggle as well.
It's encouraging that support is there though.
I'm old enough to remember 25% inflation in the 70s, but don't recall any measures put in place by the govt. of the time to help. I guess I was distracted by my Lionel Blair trousers, platform heels and progressive rock albums.
Energy bills on 21:57 - Aug 27 with 3265 viewsGloryHunter

Mortgage interest rates hit 15% in the 1980s. Lots of people got their homes repossessed, and there were plenty of suicides, too. I don't remember any government handouts.
Energy bills on 22:24 - Aug 27 with 3210 viewscolinallcars

Energy bills on 21:57 - Aug 27 by GloryHunter

Mortgage interest rates hit 15% in the 1980s. Lots of people got their homes repossessed, and there were plenty of suicides, too. I don't remember any government handouts.

Not trying to make any major points here, but I baulk at the term “handouts” , much used by Truss.
( bring back Boris ).
In any democracy, the first duty of a govt. is the welfare of its citizens.
I know some that have never done a day's work in their lives, but most are fine and are just not equipped to ride out this storm.
I imagine that most of us on this board are somewhere in the middle and we'll get through it OK.
Energy bills on 22:38 - Aug 27 with 3185 viewskensalriser

You don't remember MIRAS?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Energy bills on 23:59 - Aug 27 with 3123 viewsGloryHunter

Energy bills on 22:38 - Aug 27 by kensalriser

You don't remember MIRAS?

I do remember MIRAS. I got it when I bought my first flat, and it contributed greatly to the enormous house price inflation of the 1980s. And then it was withdrawn, and some of my contemporaries lost their homes because they couldn't keep up the mortgage payments. And when that happened, there was no financial help for them. I know families who are still suffering the efffects of that.
Energy bills on 05:50 - Aug 28 with 3042 viewsSydneyRs

So because people were allowed to suffer before they should be again?

I hope as a society we're still better than that.

As for the high 80s interest rate rates, this always gets brought up by older people. A better measure might be how many multiples of income a house costs now vs then.
Energy bills on 09:38 - Aug 28 with 2924 viewsGloryHunter

Energy bills on 05:50 - Aug 28 by SydneyRs

So because people were allowed to suffer before they should be again?

I hope as a society we're still better than that.

As for the high 80s interest rate rates, this always gets brought up by older people. A better measure might be how many multiples of income a house costs now vs then.

Sorry, you misunderstand my point. Maybe I didn't explain it very well. The situation now is desperate, just as as it was for those of us who were younger during the years of the Thatcher government. Tory governments have only ever looked out for profits for big business, and have never been able to understand why poorer people are poor.
Energy bills on 14:35 - Aug 28 with 2824 viewsHayesender

EFL clubs fear going out of business due to cost-of-living crisis https://mol.im/a/11152945 via https://dailym.ai/android

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Login to get fewer ads

Energy bills on 14:44 - Aug 28 with 2803 viewsbaz_qpr

Benefits were higher, council housing more prevalent, housing benefit available and those that did have mortgages the debt was a lot smaller, less people had debt overall. Not saying these were sunny uplands but the situations are very different
Energy bills on 20:08 - Aug 28 with 2656 viewsGloryHunter

Energy bills on 14:44 - Aug 28 by baz_qpr

Benefits were higher, council housing more prevalent, housing benefit available and those that did have mortgages the debt was a lot smaller, less people had debt overall. Not saying these were sunny uplands but the situations are very different

House prices and mortgages were smaller in the 1980s, but so were wages. The great council housing sell-off was in full swing, and we were on a five-year waiting list for one. That's why we had to buy our first flat. The monthly mortgage payment took the whole of my take-home pay. My partner's money paid the council tax, gas and electric and insurance. Our situation was the same as it is for younger people today, and some of my mates didn't survive it.

[Edit] PS. We didn't have any furniture. We sat on cushions on the floor and ate our food off our laps. I watched the 1986 World Cup on a portable black & white TV that someone had given us, resting on a cardboard box. Please do not tell me that we had it easy in those days.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2022 20:19]
Energy bills on 21:06 - Aug 28 with 2586 viewsted_hendrix

So as I understand It the current cap Is set at £1,971, rising to £3,549 From 1 October.

Showing my complete ignorance here but In a fair world would I be correct In asking when Is the date set for the 1st October rise to £3,549 going to be reduced back down to It's current figure of £1,971.

Blow me down with a big gust of wind but I've searched high and low and I'm astonished that I can't find an answer.

Anyway I've reeled my hospipe in and put It away like a good law abiding citizen.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Energy bills on 01:16 - Aug 29 with 2459 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Energy bills on 21:06 - Aug 28 by ted_hendrix

So as I understand It the current cap Is set at £1,971, rising to £3,549 From 1 October.

Showing my complete ignorance here but In a fair world would I be correct In asking when Is the date set for the 1st October rise to £3,549 going to be reduced back down to It's current figure of £1,971.

Blow me down with a big gust of wind but I've searched high and low and I'm astonished that I can't find an answer.

Anyway I've reeled my hospipe in and put It away like a good law abiding citizen.

Energy bills on 07:39 - Aug 29 with 2341 viewsdenhamhoop2

Energy bills on 16:11 - Aug 26 by Northernr

I wish Martin Lewis was actually in some sort of position of power, rather than on GMB

No chance he knows what he's talking about and cares about people and their welfare
Energy bills on 19:32 - Aug 29 with 2061 viewsSonofpugwash

https://scontent.fbrs4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/302255075_5858694877507193_

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Energy bills on 20:23 - Aug 29 with 1967 viewsSuperhoops2808

People are forgetting that we have just come out of a pandemic where millions were assisted with furlough payments (of which many were not entitled) and business loans (again fraudulently claimed) that we are all either paying for now or will be paying for.

I detest what Russia is doing in Ukraine but we the West are provoking them by supplying Ukraine with arms. We would be better off trying to sit down and broker some sort of peace with both countries, which may at least resolve the energy crisis a little.

The whole thing is a cluster and there are plenty that will jump on the bandwagon and look to stir up public unrest. Someone here mentioned that likely disorder on the streets, - I would agree it will happen before Christmas
Energy bills on 21:00 - Aug 29 with 1920 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Energy bills on 20:23 - Aug 29 by Superhoops2808

People are forgetting that we have just come out of a pandemic where millions were assisted with furlough payments (of which many were not entitled) and business loans (again fraudulently claimed) that we are all either paying for now or will be paying for.

I detest what Russia is doing in Ukraine but we the West are provoking them by supplying Ukraine with arms. We would be better off trying to sit down and broker some sort of peace with both countries, which may at least resolve the energy crisis a little.

The whole thing is a cluster and there are plenty that will jump on the bandwagon and look to stir up public unrest. Someone here mentioned that likely disorder on the streets, - I would agree it will happen before Christmas

No one has forgotten about the pandemic mate.

Where has all that money gone? I'd love to know too.

Almost all the grants my business had has gone back into the "system" in some way or other. Through rents and rates and taxes.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Energy bills on 21:15 - Aug 29 with 1873 viewsWhip_It

Energy bills on 14:04 - Aug 27 by lightwaterhoop

The government does not create money and it is not one of its functions.Thats the job of the banks and the B of E.The Government can certainly spend,borrow and waste money though.

Au contraire mon ami....

The Govt owns the BoE (effectively) and the BoE literally prints as much money as it wants. When the Govt needs money, it prints it. When its ideology is threatened, it tells us we have to tighten our belts.
Energy bills on 21:20 - Aug 29 with 1865 viewsQPsyR

To be honest, I'm really not sure why people are getting overly worried about this I'm sure someone with the intelligence, pedigree, empathy, and decency like Liz Truss will sort it all out for all of us and everything will be OK
PLUR

FKA AcidPixie

Energy bills on 21:40 - Aug 29 with 1825 viewsJamesB1979

Need to remember that it’s the energy producers eg Shell that are making the huge profits not the suppliers like edf and British Gas. No Gas from Russia/Ukraine, so less supply, but same if not higher demand. So higher prices. I’m not sure how nationalising energy supply
Companies would make a difference, not that I’m opposed to it just not sure how it would
Help here.

Ultimately, people smarter than me, need to judge what average price is / will be over next 10 years. Then I’d say government should lend money to those who earn below a certain level and this starts to get paid back when the energy price goes below that average. Those who can afford the higher bills, will just have to pay and then wait for prices to go back to more normal levels.

Ultimately I think we need to go back to nuclear power and then increase renewables so that nuclear power is gradually reduced over time. Going to take time but not sure what else can be done.
Energy bills on 07:00 - Aug 30 with 1665 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Energy bills on 21:40 - Aug 29 by JamesB1979

Need to remember that it’s the energy producers eg Shell that are making the huge profits not the suppliers like edf and British Gas. No Gas from Russia/Ukraine, so less supply, but same if not higher demand. So higher prices. I’m not sure how nationalising energy supply
Companies would make a difference, not that I’m opposed to it just not sure how it would
Help here.

Ultimately, people smarter than me, need to judge what average price is / will be over next 10 years. Then I’d say government should lend money to those who earn below a certain level and this starts to get paid back when the energy price goes below that average. Those who can afford the higher bills, will just have to pay and then wait for prices to go back to more normal levels.

Ultimately I think we need to go back to nuclear power and then increase renewables so that nuclear power is gradually reduced over time. Going to take time but not sure what else can be done.

‘I don’t see how nationalisation would help’

Eon £3.4bn
National Grid £3.4bn
RWE £2.2bn
Ørsted £1.5bn
Centrica £1.3bn
SSE £1.2bn
Uniper £1bn
Scottish Power £925m
Drax £225m

Before we even get into the right and wrongs of utilities we built and owned as a nation being sold at a pittance, imagine all that going back into the treasury / households / infrastructure.

These are only the first 6 months profit figures by the way. That’s a conservative £1,000 per household per year before we even get to British Gas (£1.2b) or Shell (£10bn).
[Post edited 30 Aug 2022 7:09]
Energy bills on 07:20 - Aug 30 with 1631 viewsstowmarketrange

There was a report on bbc breakfast today about a farm shop in Leicestershire whose energy bills will rise from £17k a year to £76k.The same scale of rises will be affecting most businesses I guess.Will there be many pubs,restaurants and shops left after all this?
It won’t be a case of the last one turning off the lights as nobody will be able to switch them on in the first place.
Energy bills on 07:31 - Aug 30 with 3382 viewsJamesB1979

Energy bills on 07:00 - Aug 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

‘I don’t see how nationalisation would help’

Eon £3.4bn
National Grid £3.4bn
RWE £2.2bn
Ørsted £1.5bn
Centrica £1.3bn
SSE £1.2bn
Uniper £1bn
Scottish Power £925m
Drax £225m

Before we even get into the right and wrongs of utilities we built and owned as a nation being sold at a pittance, imagine all that going back into the treasury / households / infrastructure.

These are only the first 6 months profit figures by the way. That’s a conservative £1,000 per household per year before we even get to British Gas (£1.2b) or Shell (£10bn).
[Post edited 30 Aug 2022 7:09]

I’m not sure all of those companies are the energy suppliers. The below make up 70% of Uk energy supply:

British Gas, EDF Energy, E.ON, npower, ScottishPower and SSE.

E.ONs UK profits were £300m.
SSE UK distribution is £352m. I think the rest of profits are from renewables and transmission.
Energy bills on 07:42 - Aug 30 with 3332 viewsSakura

Worth the 6 minutes:

Especially for those that think it’s okay to just continue printing and borrowing new money (or to keep interest rates low).

Our £ is becoming progressively more worthless against USD. So inflation is going to continue spiral higher. As a nation our default response of just kick the Can down the road spend more money we don’t have. Take on more debt.

The Can is now reaching the end of that road. Our politicians and general public aren’t ready for that and just think as a white Western person they have a divine right to free healthcare, a welfare state… affordable energy and food. We don’t

We need to increase supply of energy and fast no matter how much it may upset Greta
Energy bills on 08:04 - Aug 30 with 3285 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Energy bills on 07:42 - Aug 30 by Sakura

Worth the 6 minutes:

Especially for those that think it’s okay to just continue printing and borrowing new money (or to keep interest rates low).

Our £ is becoming progressively more worthless against USD. So inflation is going to continue spiral higher. As a nation our default response of just kick the Can down the road spend more money we don’t have. Take on more debt.

The Can is now reaching the end of that road. Our politicians and general public aren’t ready for that and just think as a white Western person they have a divine right to free healthcare, a welfare state… affordable energy and food. We don’t

We need to increase supply of energy and fast no matter how much it may upset Greta

Just so everyone (especially the White Westerners mentioned) knows which way this thread is heading ahead of time, Real Vision, the creator of this video, is a Crypto currency marketing company.

https://www.realvision.com/crypto
[Post edited 30 Aug 2022 8:08]
Energy bills on 08:11 - Aug 30 with 3265 viewsJamesB1979

Energy bills on 07:42 - Aug 30 by Sakura

Worth the 6 minutes:

Unfortunately you can’t just look at a spreadsheet to solve this. Not borrowing will hurt so many people in our society. Yes it won’t help inflation but there has to be a halfway house. Those that can’t afford these price hikes in society need to be helped.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024