Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John's barber shop 20:23 - Aug 19 with 2854 viewsHayesender

Visited my old dear in the Bush yesterday and noticed the barbers run by Seth (ex QPR player) opposite the Adelaide is no more.

Is nothing sacred anymore

Poll: Shamima Beghum

John's barber shop on 20:59 - Aug 19 with 2738 viewsMichael_Hunt

OK as no one else is commenting, I seem to recall that this used to be known as "Jonny's"?

If any older SB resident could confirm as it's where my mum took me for haircuts in the late 50's early 60's and I sat on the board thingy, bribed with alphabet sweets to be quiet whilst having my hair cut.

If only these days
John's barber shop on 21:28 - Aug 19 with 2670 viewsHayesender

John's barber shop on 20:59 - Aug 19 by Michael_Hunt

OK as no one else is commenting, I seem to recall that this used to be known as "Jonny's"?

If any older SB resident could confirm as it's where my mum took me for haircuts in the late 50's early 60's and I sat on the board thingy, bribed with alphabet sweets to be quiet whilst having my hair cut.

If only these days

That's the one. I probably started going there in the early 80's when their dad was still running it.

Only noticed yesterday as I always popped my head in to say hello whenever I walked past, only to notice it wasn't there anymore.

Great shame

John's barber shop on 22:51 - Aug 19 with 2500 viewsak68

I used to be taken there in the 60s and Johnny used to cut my hair until he opened a second barber shop on that little island where Old Oak Rd meets Westway. My dad then took me there as he and Johnny were old school whereas the Uxbridge Rd shop was becoming young and trendy.

Much later in life I returned to the Uxbridge Rd shop where Seth and his brother, John, would cut my hair interspersed with moans about the Rangers. I tried to get a haircut days before the playoff final and found the builders at work. I went past recently and was even more surprised to find that it was still a barbers but minus Seth and John. I keep meaning to pop in and find out what happened.
John's barber shop on 01:23 - Aug 20 with 2397 viewsbarbicanranger

John's barber shop on 22:51 - Aug 19 by ak68

I used to be taken there in the 60s and Johnny used to cut my hair until he opened a second barber shop on that little island where Old Oak Rd meets Westway. My dad then took me there as he and Johnny were old school whereas the Uxbridge Rd shop was becoming young and trendy.

Much later in life I returned to the Uxbridge Rd shop where Seth and his brother, John, would cut my hair interspersed with moans about the Rangers. I tried to get a haircut days before the playoff final and found the builders at work. I went past recently and was even more surprised to find that it was still a barbers but minus Seth and John. I keep meaning to pop in and find out what happened.

That's a shame, was getting my hair cut there before I left the area about 8 months ago - the one with the yellow frontage? - think it was actually called "John's Hairstyles" - run by two brothers who were very quiet, pleasant guys? I only went in there cause every other hair place on the road was a buzz cut place offering to shave lines into your eye-brows or Nike ticks into the back of your head. Business was slow though and the place needed a tidy up. They must have called it a day.
John's barber shop on 08:55 - Aug 20 with 2223 viewsNoelmc

Had my hair cut there from the early 60's until 2004 when I moved to Staines. Even went back regularly after 1985 when I moved from the Bush to Isleworth. Always enjoyed a chat with Seth about the R's. Sad to see it go but I'm sure Seth & his brother were well over retirement age & credit to them for keeping it going so long.

One of my abiding memories of it in the 60s & 70s was the final question to selected customers as they were paying "Something for the weekend, Sir?" and looking forward to when I would be old enough to be asked it!
John's barber shop on 10:37 - Aug 20 with 2105 views18StoneOfHoop

John's barber shop on 08:55 - Aug 20 by Noelmc

Had my hair cut there from the early 60's until 2004 when I moved to Staines. Even went back regularly after 1985 when I moved from the Bush to Isleworth. Always enjoyed a chat with Seth about the R's. Sad to see it go but I'm sure Seth & his brother were well over retirement age & credit to them for keeping it going so long.

One of my abiding memories of it in the 60s & 70s was the final question to selected customers as they were paying "Something for the weekend, Sir?" and looking forward to when I would be old enough to be asked it!

"..but I'm sure Seth and his brother were well over retirement age.."
Spot on Noel, thanks to Gordon Macey's QPR The Complete Record - every good Hoops fan home should have one - I learn that Seth Vafiadis was born in Hammersmith on 8th September 1949. Therefore,I suspect, pushing 65 he's sold up and is now enjoying his retirement.
After coming to us from an unsuccessful stint at Chelsea, the predominately right and sometimes left winger Seth's breakthrough debut season was 1963/1964. He made 15 appearances,scoring 4 goals against Bournemouth,Reading,Southend & Notts County, before being released to Millwall in the summer. He didn't see eye-to-eye with Alec Stock apparently and next season twin wing wizards Roger and Ian Morgan made their debuts.
For a season he lived the Loftus Road dream - lucky man.
http://qprreport.proboards.com/thread/21308

BTW anybody had their haircut by ranting Colin The Barber in Cobbold Road? That bloke -who numbered old Rangers players amongst his ageing clientelle - is completely barking.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2014 11:04]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

John's barber shop on 15:43 - Aug 20 with 1980 viewsHayesender

John's barber shop on 10:37 - Aug 20 by 18StoneOfHoop

"..but I'm sure Seth and his brother were well over retirement age.."
Spot on Noel, thanks to Gordon Macey's QPR The Complete Record - every good Hoops fan home should have one - I learn that Seth Vafiadis was born in Hammersmith on 8th September 1949. Therefore,I suspect, pushing 65 he's sold up and is now enjoying his retirement.
After coming to us from an unsuccessful stint at Chelsea, the predominately right and sometimes left winger Seth's breakthrough debut season was 1963/1964. He made 15 appearances,scoring 4 goals against Bournemouth,Reading,Southend & Notts County, before being released to Millwall in the summer. He didn't see eye-to-eye with Alec Stock apparently and next season twin wing wizards Roger and Ian Morgan made their debuts.
For a season he lived the Loftus Road dream - lucky man.
http://qprreport.proboards.com/thread/21308

BTW anybody had their haircut by ranting Colin The Barber in Cobbold Road? That bloke -who numbered old Rangers players amongst his ageing clientelle - is completely barking.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2014 11:04]

My mum used to take me to get my hair cut at Colins way back in the 70's.

Went there until the early/mid 80's when I started going to Johnnys on my own like a big boy.

Can't believe Colin is still going tbh. He must be about 90 by now

John's barber shop on 15:49 - Aug 20 with 1973 viewsdaveB

Colin used to cut my hair back in the 80's when i was a kid. He gave me a Gary Bannister cut once although it made me look more like Rodney Trotter. Is he still working? Really nice fella
Login to get fewer ads

John's barber shop on 16:10 - Aug 20 with 1952 viewsbatmanhoop

if he was born in 1949 and made his debut 1964 that made him 15. Sadly I'm just old enough to remember Seth in the hoops. About this period I was old enough to watch the football and not spend it playing on the SA Road hill. Think Seth would be nearer 70
John's barber shop on 16:21 - Aug 20 with 1934 views18StoneOfHoop

John's barber shop on 16:10 - Aug 20 by batmanhoop

if he was born in 1949 and made his debut 1964 that made him 15. Sadly I'm just old enough to remember Seth in the hoops. About this period I was old enough to watch the football and not spend it playing on the SA Road hill. Think Seth would be nearer 70

My bad,Batman.
Born in September 1945,therefore pushing 69 and would have made his R's debut aged 18.

Ale Faurlin lives somewhere near me in the Ravenscourt Park/Chiswick area. Always bigging up local businesses on his twitter. Wonder where he gets his hair cut? :

[Post edited 20 Aug 2014 17:11]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

John's barber shop on 16:35 - Aug 20 with 1905 viewsDiscodroid

smashing thread lads, love a bit of history and nostalgia .good reading.

perhaps he can sort out my 'alan bennet'/ 'nick haywood'
[Post edited 20 Aug 2014 16:36]

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

John's barber shop on 16:53 - Aug 20 with 1873 viewspaulparker

John's barber shop on 16:35 - Aug 20 by Discodroid

smashing thread lads, love a bit of history and nostalgia .good reading.

perhaps he can sort out my 'alan bennet'/ 'nick haywood'
[Post edited 20 Aug 2014 16:36]

I haven't been to a barbers since 1998

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

John's barber shop on 17:09 - Aug 20 with 1842 viewssuperhoop67

would seem Johny's has gone .Seth is 68 used to play in the same team as him .Another barbers that has just bit the dust is Dimitris opposite the Palais
John's barber shop on 17:47 - Aug 20 with 1780 viewsbatmanhoop

John's barber shop on 17:09 - Aug 20 by superhoop67

would seem Johny's has gone .Seth is 68 used to play in the same team as him .Another barbers that has just bit the dust is Dimitris opposite the Palais

that was one I used, the other being Grampians barbers
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024