Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Squad 07:57 - Jul 20 with 9505 viewsGloucs_R

How's it shaping up...

Keepers
Nardi
Walsh (surely he'll go out on loan?)
Cooper

RB
Canon
Dunne
Santos

LB
Paal
Larkeche

RCB
Cook
Morrison

LCB
JCS
Fox

DM / CM
Collback
Field
EDB

AM
Chair
Andersen
Smyth
Kolli

Strikers
Celar
Dykes
Frey

I know we have some Dev lads too but I would say we're still a couple of players short and that's without losing any.

I would want a natural left footed AML and another CM.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2:09]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Squad on 09:01 - Jul 20 with 5178 viewscolinallcars

Goalkeeper Copper should arrest our decline.
Squad on 09:06 - Jul 20 with 5164 viewsbosh67

I think add Kolli to AMs

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Squad on 10:14 - Jul 20 with 5004 viewsMalintabuk

I'd like to see Bennie squeezed somewhere in there.Know the lad is only 17 but he did look useful in those park games recently
Be interesting if he gets a run out today. Can't believe getting ready to get to the game.... close season seems to get shorter as the years go by
Squad on 10:59 - Jul 20 with 4876 viewsHAYESBOY

Think we need a CM and another winger. I think Santos has been brought in to play right midfield. Its where he played all last season and in our first two friendlies.

If Hayden would come back on loan (think wages are an issue for a perm deal) or this Varane is doable that would be good. Field missing tomorrow and we look woefully short with just Colback and EDB. Also think we need some pace on the wing, maybe this Rak-Sakyi from Palace.

Basically still think we are short of 2 players.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Squad on 00:30 - Jul 28 with 4416 viewsGloucs_R

Last two results should be a massive wake up call for Marti.

Watching a few preseason games, I think collback is now done. I question if EDB is championship level. So that's two central midfielders we need.

Pace wise, We've lost Armstrong, Willock and possibly Chair (?). Can't really expect young lads to step up immediately (which is the mistake we made with Sinclair!). Smyth hasn't magically become a championship player over the summer. Absolutely no chance Andersen will last 40+ matches.

So that's a quality AM, AML and AMR we require on top of the two CMs.

Hopefully Eze gets sold soon and we receive some money.

Squad on 02:26 - Jul 28 with 4279 viewsCLAREMAN1995

We need a striker to get 15 to 20 goals a season because the amount of chances we miss is shocking.
Nothing frustrates a defense more than killing themselves stopping attacks then watching forwards either miss sitters or not even making the opposition keepers work .
Obviously Marti and Co know this but there should be someone there already learning the system unless he believes in the group he has .I hope not btw.
Squad on 04:14 - Jul 28 with 4225 viewsrbee

Before last season ended the club had started moving on unwanted squad and development players. Willock and Armstrong decided to move on.

Our salary overheads have been nicely lowered, we have plenty of profit and sustainabilty legroom so I would expect a few more players coming in.

Having played in the Euros I am not sure how Celar will get along fitness wise so we really do need another striker and we lack numbers and quality in central midfield. No news on Hayden but I would suspect that he is still working on an exit deal with Newcastle.
[Post edited 28 Jul 4:17]
Squad on 07:11 - Jul 28 with 4134 viewsQPROslo

Even if none of our first choice players leave it looks like we are in urgent need of 2 CM's/DM's and 2 AM's at the least to me.

The 2 CM's/DM's are essentially a 6 and an 8. 1 the 6 to replace Hayden (back-up or alternative to Field), and 1 the 8 to replace the Hodge/Dozzell position ( a good passer of ball who can link defence with attack and enable us to play out from the back as I think Marti wants).

The 2 AM's are 1 a 10, a replacement for Willock, and 2 an 11, a wide, pacy wide- man who we need especially now we have lost the pace Armstrong gave us.

I'm not convinced we have enough quality at LB either, and only some time will tell if Celar can score enough goals.
Login to get fewer ads

Squad on 07:29 - Jul 28 with 4095 viewsGloucs_R

Looks like a decent squad but not a decent first 11 and bench currently.

Plenty of time left.

Anyone else think collback is done now? Started looking off the pace last season and preseason even slower.

Squad on 08:37 - Jul 28 with 3916 viewsdmm

I agree with the comments about Colback. He's basically looking his age now. Should still be useful off the bench though. If we manage to sign Varane, him and Field in the two should be fine.

We do need more going forward. Cifuentes is persisting with Smyth on the right but yesterday his final ball was atrocious. I'd be concerned if we're starting with him next season and would prefer Kolli instead, even with his inexperience.

Andersen aside, there's a distinct lack of creativity in the middle. Our attack is focused on going down the sides. A ball playing ACM who can play defence splitting passes would give our attack different options, particularly for Celar who seems a player who feeds off that kind of play.
[Post edited 28 Jul 8:38]
Squad on 10:00 - Jul 28 with 3736 viewsbosh67

Squad on 08:37 - Jul 28 by dmm

I agree with the comments about Colback. He's basically looking his age now. Should still be useful off the bench though. If we manage to sign Varane, him and Field in the two should be fine.

We do need more going forward. Cifuentes is persisting with Smyth on the right but yesterday his final ball was atrocious. I'd be concerned if we're starting with him next season and would prefer Kolli instead, even with his inexperience.

Andersen aside, there's a distinct lack of creativity in the middle. Our attack is focused on going down the sides. A ball playing ACM who can play defence splitting passes would give our attack different options, particularly for Celar who seems a player who feeds off that kind of play.
[Post edited 28 Jul 8:38]

I thought Smyth looked like our only useful outlet wide yesterday. I'm not hugely concerned about him. We don't have a left sided winger unless we turn Larkeche into a left winger. I agree, supply line into forwards is sparse. Forward line still feels sparse, as does central midfield playmaking.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Squad on 10:11 - Jul 28 with 3695 viewsgazza1

Squad on 07:29 - Jul 28 by Gloucs_R

Looks like a decent squad but not a decent first 11 and bench currently.

Plenty of time left.

Anyone else think collback is done now? Started looking off the pace last season and preseason even slower.

Colbeck was one of our best players last season......hence why he MC picked him for most of the matches. He is an experienced old pro and still has his legs, I doubt very much if he would be going 'full out' in PSF's.

The main and major issue is forwards......not seen much of the new boys but Dykes is certainly not good enough and Frey may be lacking as well.

Chair is missing too which is a big loss.

& I think the squad/team is shaping up ok.
[Post edited 28 Jul 10:12]
Squad on 10:48 - Jul 28 with 3614 viewsMalintabuk

Agree with Gazza you will never bust a gut in pre season friendlies unless you're a young'un trying to impress ie Lloyd
They are used mainly to bed in new players, formulate a system and get match fit.
If we look at the departures all we really have lost is Armstrong and Willock from the 1st team squad... and Hayden which I honestly think is the biggest loss The others are basic dead wood
The thing I worry about is losing both Chair and Willock, that is basically our creativity gone, unless replaced
I'm still hopeful of Hayden or Varane. Still be nice to have another forward come in, but i think loans will be important to us
[Post edited 28 Jul 10:51]
Squad on 11:18 - Jul 28 with 3544 viewsQPRKjetil

Squad on 10:00 - Jul 28 by bosh67

I thought Smyth looked like our only useful outlet wide yesterday. I'm not hugely concerned about him. We don't have a left sided winger unless we turn Larkeche into a left winger. I agree, supply line into forwards is sparse. Forward line still feels sparse, as does central midfield playmaking.

Larkeche is by far our worst player, in my opinion, and (sorry to say) Smyth is a league One player. Also Colback looks to have lost something. Therefore we need a CM and another LB. I like Kolli (and Celar) and Paal has been a good player for us (his linkup play with Chair is great), we must not sell him, at least not before we have a solid replacement. I am also worried about the lack of pace of both Fox and Dunne when they are playing fullbacks. Hopefully Santos or Cannon play on the RB. Our best player now is Andersen, but he needs more movement around him, he cannot do everything himself.
Squad on 11:30 - Jul 28 with 3500 viewsdmm

Squad on 10:00 - Jul 28 by bosh67

Yes, Smyth was the main outlet yesterday and with of his pace and positivity, he gets himself into good positions to cross or shoot. But, more often than not, that is when it all goes wrong. He didn't supply one decent cross and failed to hit the target.

We've seen this time and again from Smyth. He's 27 in September and isn't going to improve.
Squad on 12:12 - Jul 28 with 3408 viewsdmm

QPR need more attacking signings – Cifuentes: https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-need-more-attacking-signings-cifuentes

I don't think any would disagree.
Squad on 14:04 - Jul 28 with 3273 viewsAntti_Heinola

Squad on 00:30 - Jul 28 by Gloucs_R

Watching a few preseason games, I think collback is now done. I question if EDB is championship level. So that's two central midfielders we need.

Pace wise, We've lost Armstrong, Willock and possibly Chair (?). Can't really expect young lads to step up immediately (which is the mistake we made with Sinclair!). Smyth hasn't magically become a championship player over the summer. Absolutely no chance Andersen will last 40+ matches.

I do think we need another CM (at least), but to look at two pre-season games and say Colback is 'done' is laughable. Had an excellent end to the season. And they are friendlies. We really do need to stop making such huge judgements based on training games.

Bare bones.

Squad on 14:46 - Jul 28 with 3165 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Squad on 10:48 - Jul 28 by Malintabuk

Agree with Gazza you will never bust a gut in pre season friendlies unless you're a young'un trying to impress ie Lloyd
They are used mainly to bed in new players, formulate a system and get match fit.
If we look at the departures all we really have lost is Armstrong and Willock from the 1st team squad... and Hayden which I honestly think is the biggest loss The others are basic dead wood
The thing I worry about is losing both Chair and Willock, that is basically our creativity gone, unless replaced
I'm still hopeful of Hayden or Varane. Still be nice to have another forward come in, but i think loans will be important to us
[Post edited 28 Jul 10:51]

Good point and most of the hard work is done during the week so sometimes the actual friendlies are just to see changes in action.
Sometimes teams mistime their preperation and that results in poor matches in the summer.
We do score some spectacular goals in those training videos on the Official website and the pace and intensity looks good but obviously not much contact .
Chair will be a massive addition when/if he is back but we still need a goal poacher IMO
Squad on 15:36 - Jul 28 with 3097 viewsGloucs_R

Squad on 14:04 - Jul 28 by Antti_Heinola

I do think we need another CM (at least), but to look at two pre-season games and say Colback is 'done' is laughable. Had an excellent end to the season. And they are friendlies. We really do need to stop making such huge judgements based on training games.

Not having that.

How many yellows does he pick up and why?

Usually because he's off the pace. Getting slower every month that ticks by. Which is natural.

Not a witch hunt by the way. Decent squad player. Just how I see it. Still think he can play a part in our mid table push 😜
[Post edited 29 Jul 6:39]

Squad on 15:43 - Jul 28 with 3079 viewsHastings_Hoops

Squad on 00:30 - Jul 28 by Gloucs_R

I don’t disagree on the basis that Chair is going (as you say) and if/when he does we will get good money for him to reinvest without the Eze money… so I’m not sure why you’re suggesting the ‘Eze money’ is so important on this basis (imho more of a game-changer of it happens and less a necessity).

…if Chair doesn’t go and we don’t get that chair or Eze money, we will have a fast attacking midfielder in Chair to work with Anderson and arguably Kolli (brought in slowly/in moderation)… and possibly Alfie Lloyd.
[Post edited 28 Jul 15:55]
Squad on 16:20 - Jul 28 with 2968 viewsGloucs_R

Squad on 15:43 - Jul 28 by Hastings_Hoops

I don’t disagree on the basis that Chair is going (as you say) and if/when he does we will get good money for him to reinvest without the Eze money… so I’m not sure why you’re suggesting the ‘Eze money’ is so important on this basis (imho more of a game-changer of it happens and less a necessity).

…if Chair doesn’t go and we don’t get that chair or Eze money, we will have a fast attacking midfielder in Chair to work with Anderson and arguably Kolli (brought in slowly/in moderation)… and possibly Alfie Lloyd.
[Post edited 28 Jul 15:55]

Because if chair does go and Eze doesn't that money goes towards FFP and not player recruitment, I think!

Squad on 16:31 - Jul 28 with 2926 viewsNorthantsHoop

For me Smyth is a late game sub option especially at home when defenders are tiring. He has probably been most effective in that type of role. Need to find an attacking central midfield player who can open and transition the game quickly for the new guy Celar to run onto balls through the middle. Always thought Chair should be more central but his main problem is he does not release the ball quickly enough and tends to prefer is told to play left. Personally sign Hayden and tell him to play through the middle and have Andersen playing right attacking midfield.
Squad on 16:39 - Jul 28 with 2898 viewsEsox_Lucius

Recent history tells us that a lot of the club's transfer activity comes at the end of August when there are bargains to be had. If nothing happens then we'll have to make do with what we've got and hope it's enough.

The grass is always greener.

Squad on 17:09 - Jul 28 with 2838 viewsAntti_Heinola

Squad on 15:36 - Jul 28 by Gloucs_R

Not having that.

How many yellows does he pick up and why?

Usually because he's off the pace. Getting slower every month that ticks by. Which is natural.

Not a witch hunt by the way. Decent squad player. Just how I see it. Still think he can play a part in our mid table push 😜
[Post edited 29 Jul 6:39]

Well the stats would beg to differ. One thing that annoys me about Colback is the cheap yellows, but that’s been there throughout his entire career, from the start and every season. Some of them are infuriatingly boneheaded for a senior pro; not many are because he’s ‘off the pace’.

Bare bones.

Squad on 17:46 - Jul 28 with 2777 viewsHastings_Hoops

Squad on 16:20 - Jul 28 by Gloucs_R

Because if chair does go and Eze doesn't that money goes towards FFP and not player recruitment, I think!

We’re out of that three year cycle which killed us last year carrying the Austin, Johansen etc costs. Also with Willock, Begovic, a load of never-going-to-make-it-at-QPR’s gone + Eze England start fee + Armstrong fee we’re probably ok for this season… I guess.

…the Eze sell on would be nice, but probably not essential.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024