Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
gareth southgate.... 22:08 - Jul 10 with 5826 viewsqpr_1968

we are in the final....what do we know.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

gareth southgate.... on 22:11 - Jul 10 with 3301 viewsitsbiga

"i'd like to see the Spaniard who could make his way past me"

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

gareth southgate.... on 22:24 - Jul 10 with 3204 viewsBluce_Ree

gareth southgate.... on 22:11 - Jul 10 by itsbiga

"i'd like to see the Spaniard who could make his way past me"

Hahah I see you!

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

gareth southgate.... on 04:16 - Jul 11 with 2902 viewsjc_hoops

Well, we know that he could had been a bit braver with the sub situation in the previous games, and he was this time and look what happened! So, maybe we where not that daft after all. :)
gareth southgate.... on 07:23 - Jul 11 with 2764 viewsSydneyRs

You can't really argue with his record. Two finals and a semi in 4 tournaments. He owes Jude Bellingham many beers though!

I do though think this squad has so much talent that a better tactician could really have us dominating a lot of games. Southgate is great at building a team spirit and togetherness. While we haven't played well, the mental fortitude displayed has been superb, recovering from losing positions in all 3 knockout games.

In a perfect world he'd stay and have a tactical expert alongside him to cover that side of things.
gareth southgate.... on 07:25 - Jul 11 with 2754 viewsPlanetHonneywood

gareth southgate.... on 04:16 - Jul 11 by jc_hoops

Well, we know that he could had been a bit braver with the sub situation in the previous games, and he was this time and look what happened! So, maybe we where not that daft after all. :)

Rarely happens, but the slightly opposite views expressed by you and the OP are both correct!

However, for me, I also think it feels like GS suddenly discovered that to play knockout football, you need to be bolder than at the group stage. But well done to him and his charges. They deserve it!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

gareth southgate.... on 08:50 - Jul 11 with 2646 viewsBluce_Ree

I just think you can't argue with the record and, despite the luck, I'd say we were the better team in the last two games. I'm not sure why we go off the boil after half time but we're in the final, so he's doing something right.

I genuinely hope we win it for him and he goes off and does something else, assured at having legend status.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

gareth southgate.... on 08:59 - Jul 11 with 2608 viewsLanhoop

As a wise man once said, if you can’t be good, be lucky.
gareth southgate.... on 08:59 - Jul 11 with 2609 viewsstowmarketrange

gareth southgate.... on 08:50 - Jul 11 by Bluce_Ree

I just think you can't argue with the record and, despite the luck, I'd say we were the better team in the last two games. I'm not sure why we go off the boil after half time but we're in the final, so he's doing something right.

I genuinely hope we win it for him and he goes off and does something else, assured at having legend status.

Sir Gareth Southgate is a name we could get used to.
Come on England.
Login to get fewer ads

gareth southgate.... on 09:27 - Jul 11 with 2500 viewsLimehouseR

gareth southgate.... on 07:23 - Jul 11 by SydneyRs

You can't really argue with his record. Two finals and a semi in 4 tournaments. He owes Jude Bellingham many beers though!

I do though think this squad has so much talent that a better tactician could really have us dominating a lot of games. Southgate is great at building a team spirit and togetherness. While we haven't played well, the mental fortitude displayed has been superb, recovering from losing positions in all 3 knockout games.

In a perfect world he'd stay and have a tactical expert alongside him to cover that side of things.

I agree with you in that Southgate has build a team of players where previous managers have failed to create that spirit and cohesion.

But I think we do dominate in a lot of games we just don't seem to make enough chances. Rather than play a first time ball or have runners getting into positions (until Watkins came on) we hold on to it for too long. But it is hard to do in international football as you might not get the ball back as quickly against teams who are going to be playing possession football. As much stick as England get for being negative and boring I really don't remember oppositions in this tournament having extended periods of possession in our half of the pitch, or not often anyway. Other than the goal the Dutch had no really chances other than from set pieces and they're supposed to be just as good as us. And I think that is down to how we set up. They had to change their system after half an hour because they couldn't cope with our midfield.

Who knows maybe another manager might have got us tournament success by now but I think we've always had a talented group of players since the late 90s yet Southgate is the first manager we've had who has pushed the team to genuine contenders and finalists. He is clearly popular with most if not all the players, I bet that wasn't the case over the years with some of the 'big names' we've had.
gareth southgate.... on 10:09 - Jul 11 with 2406 viewsPaddyhoops

From getting beer chucked at him a week ago to this .
Some turnaround.
gareth southgate.... on 10:19 - Jul 11 with 2362 viewsbosh67

gareth southgate.... on 10:09 - Jul 11 by Paddyhoops

From getting beer chucked at him a week ago to this .
Some turnaround.

Indeed. He didn't deserve that because the team had to take responsibility as well, despite being out of shape formation wise. That said, we were horrible to watch and have steadily improved. His overall achievements and figures in a country where we have perhaps got unrealistic expectations has been hugely impressive. His win rate is over 60% over his tenure. How many club managers can boast that?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

gareth southgate.... on 15:12 - Jul 11 with 2063 viewsBoston

gareth southgate.... on 08:59 - Jul 11 by Lanhoop

As a wise man once said, if you can’t be good, be lucky.

Bill Shankly?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

gareth southgate.... on 15:59 - Jul 11 with 1982 viewsWestonsuperR

Statistically the greatest manager England have ever had, no question of that now. Not sure it’s always been the most watchable but he knows how to progress in a tournament which is something we have massively lacked.
gareth southgate.... on 16:15 - Jul 11 with 1922 viewsNed_Kennedys

He’s done well to get us to the final.
Hope to God he moves on after Sunday.
gareth southgate.... on 18:23 - Jul 11 with 1770 viewsEsox_Lucius

gareth southgate.... on 16:15 - Jul 11 by Ned_Kennedys

He’s done well to get us to the final.
Hope to God he moves on after Sunday.

Who would you replace him with if it was your choice?

The grass is always greener.

gareth southgate.... on 18:53 - Jul 11 with 1719 viewsNed_Kennedys

gareth southgate.... on 18:23 - Jul 11 by Esox_Lucius

Who would you replace him with if it was your choice?

Graham Potter.
Wouldn’t be averse to Steven Gerrard if he had a decent coaching team behind him.
Tuchel or Pochettino but doubt they’d be interested.
Eddie Howe if Newcastle bin him off.
gareth southgate.... on 18:58 - Jul 11 with 1699 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

gareth southgate.... on 15:59 - Jul 11 by WestonsuperR

Statistically the greatest manager England have ever had, no question of that now. Not sure it’s always been the most watchable but he knows how to progress in a tournament which is something we have massively lacked.

This.

And by its nature progressing in knockout tournaments isn’t something most managers have on their CV so replacements are hard to find.

Capello, arguably one of the best managers alive at the time couldn’t do it with England’s greatest ever squad (imo).
gareth southgate.... on 18:59 - Jul 11 with 1693 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

gareth southgate.... on 18:53 - Jul 11 by Ned_Kennedys

Graham Potter.
Wouldn’t be averse to Steven Gerrard if he had a decent coaching team behind him.
Tuchel or Pochettino but doubt they’d be interested.
Eddie Howe if Newcastle bin him off.

You’ve been shouting at anyone who’ll listen that GS has no footballing pedigree and then you plump for those three (Potter, Gerard, Howe) as his replacement 😆
[Post edited 11 Jul 19:00]
gareth southgate.... on 19:05 - Jul 11 with 1665 viewsNed_Kennedys

gareth southgate.... on 18:59 - Jul 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

You’ve been shouting at anyone who’ll listen that GS has no footballing pedigree and then you plump for those three (Potter, Gerard, Howe) as his replacement 😆
[Post edited 11 Jul 19:00]

What are you going on about?
Those three have plenty of managerial experience and ‘footballing pedigree’
gareth southgate.... on 19:29 - Jul 11 with 1612 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

gareth southgate.... on 19:05 - Jul 11 by Ned_Kennedys

What are you going on about?
Those three have plenty of managerial experience and ‘footballing pedigree’

An unprecedented two semis and two finals at two major international tournaments isn’t good enough for you, but a career high of taking Chelsea to 11th place is fine.

I wouldn’t actually be against Potter or Howe but I’m just judging them on your criteria a couple of threads ago.
gareth southgate.... on 19:49 - Jul 11 with 1565 viewsNed_Kennedys

gareth southgate.... on 19:29 - Jul 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

An unprecedented two semis and two finals at two major international tournaments isn’t good enough for you, but a career high of taking Chelsea to 11th place is fine.

I wouldn’t actually be against Potter or Howe but I’m just judging them on your criteria a couple of threads ago.

Well Southgate’s 29% win record at Middlesbrough compares badly to all the names I suggested.

He’s had a good run over 8 years despite the generally dreadful football.

Time for a change.
gareth southgate.... on 20:03 - Jul 11 with 1526 viewstimcocking

We’re in the final despite him, not because of him.

Still, I’ll take it. Go on boys.
gareth southgate.... on 20:09 - Jul 11 with 1511 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

gareth southgate.... on 19:49 - Jul 11 by Ned_Kennedys

Well Southgate’s 29% win record at Middlesbrough compares badly to all the names I suggested.

He’s had a good run over 8 years despite the generally dreadful football.

Time for a change.

Very selective (and 15 year old) choice.

He has a more relevant 60% win record with England.

Agree time for a change, and some humility from his most vicious doubters whatever the result Sunday.
gareth southgate.... on 20:35 - Jul 11 with 1445 viewsParkRoyalR

gareth southgate.... on 20:09 - Jul 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

Agree time for a change, and some humility from his most vicious doubters whatever the result Sunday.

Southgate in terms of his decision making probably had his first decent game of the tournament last night as at least made some fairly bold calls (for him), being:

1) Stayed with the back 3 against better opposition as thought he'd revert to a safe back 4

2) Brought on Shaw @ H/T to try to win the game early

3) Subbed Foden and gave Palmer enough time to change the game as he does

4) Brought Watkins on to give Palmer a runner to hit, a joined up substitution

5) After Watkins goal had quick thinking to get Konsa on to defend the inevitable long ball into the box, with Gallagher to harry in Midfield

On top of these better decisions, the team seemed to pass the ball quicker and at real pace compared to in previous games.

I think with the players at his disposal and the runs he's had in recent tournaments he's a fairly lucky Manager, but like his team, he does seem to be getting the hang of what he needs to do at exactly the right time.
gareth southgate.... on 20:40 - Jul 11 with 1418 viewsNed_Kennedys

gareth southgate.... on 20:09 - Jul 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

I was comparing league records as they’ve all managed league teams.
Can’t compare international records as only Southgate has managed internationally.
Far easier to get a high percentage win rate if you manage a top international team.
You’re not very good at this are you?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024