Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
great song writers...... 21:39 - May 27 with 7930 viewsqpr_1968

who would you put in your top whatever song writer list....

plenty of obvious choices..
elton john/bernie taupin...
simon and garfunkel
beatles...etc...

anyone we should know about that outways that mob.
would like to know such...

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

great song writers...... on 14:06 - May 28 with 1674 viewsDannyPaddox

great song writers...... on 22:29 - May 27 by QPR_Hibs

Jimmy Webb

Alperton, oh, Alperton
I still hear your sea winds blowin'
I still see her dark eyes glowin'
She was twenty-one, when I left Alperton

Love Jimmy Webb’s work but I can never not tweak the lyrics singing that one.
great song writers...... on 14:12 - May 28 with 1666 viewsR_from_afar

great song writers...... on 11:57 - May 28 by rbee

There are so many but I would place Bacharach and David up there with Lennon and McCartney with the Gibb Brothers not far behind.

The Motown crew Holland/Dozier/Holland, Smokey, Ashford and Simpson.

Over at Atlantic Barry Mann & Cynthia Weill, Gerry Goffin and Carole King.

As a teenager in the 70's the pop charts were dominated by Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman and to a lesser extent, Roger Cook and Roger Greenaway.

As a big 80's soul music fan there was the brilliant James Mtume and Reggie Lucas, Kashif, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis and over at Solar Records Dana Meyers, Leon Sylvers, William Shelby.

We have to acknowledge Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus of Abba and the prolific Per Gessle of Roxette.

Last and right up there with the best is the lad from Grimsby who wrote all the hits for Heatwave, was taken to the USA by Quincy Jones to write for The Brothers Johnson, Donna Summer, Quincy himself, George Benson and Michael Jackson. The man who gave us Thriller, Off the Wall and Rock With You, Mr Rod Temperton.

"Last and right up there with the best is the lad from Grimsby who wrote all the hits for Heatwave, was taken to the USA by Quincy Jones to write for The Brothers Johnson, Donna Summer, Quincy himself, George Benson and Michael Jackson. The man who gave us Thriller, Off the Wall and Rock With You, Mr Rod Temperton".

This is a great shout and I was actually just about to post about him, but - pedant alert - he was actually born in Cleethorpes

Russ Ballard, Waltham Cross' finest, also deserves a mention. I knew he wrote top tunes like Rainbow's "Since you've been gone" and the Argent song Kiss turned into a massive anthem, "God gave roll and roll to you," but it turns out that he also wrote "So you win again" and "You can do magic".

There are so many others I could mention but I must put in a good word for Primus. The lyrics are clever and tell all sorts of stories, from hilarious to cautionary ones, and the music is so inventive, catchy and memorable, yet unorthodox. The bass often plays the lead line while the guitar creates soundscapes .

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

great song writers...... on 14:23 - May 28 with 1627 viewsqpr1976

great song writers...... on 12:01 - May 28 by derbyhoop

The boy kicked out at the world
The world kicked back a lot fcking harder

Libertines - Can't stand me Now

"I saw two shadow men on the Vallance Road
Said they'd pay me for your address
Oh, I was so bold
I said you see these two cold fingers
These crooked fingers I show
You's a way to mean no"

Up The Bracket

"What a waster, what a fijcking waster
You p!ssed it all up the wall
Round the corner where they chased her
There's tears coming out from everywhere
The city's hard
The city's fair
Get back inside, you've got nothing on
No, mind your bleedin' own you two bob cijnt"

What A Waster - Even Paul Weller said he's been trying to get the phrase 2Bob..... into a song for decades !

He's had his moments.
great song writers...... on 14:27 - May 28 with 1616 viewsqpr1976

great song writers...... on 11:54 - May 28 by RangersDave

Best Lyrics....

"i'm invited in for coffee and i give the dog a bone"

Elvis Costello ?
Even McCartney worked with him.

Ian Dury, in a music hall style.
great song writers...... on 14:46 - May 28 with 1581 viewsDannyPaddox

great song writers...... on 11:54 - May 28 by RangersDave

Best Lyrics....

"i'm invited in for coffee and i give the dog a bone"

Funny you pick that line cos I’m sure I read an interview years ago with Difford and Tilbrook and they said of all their songs it’s the one line they regret writing and wish they’d edited it out 🤷🏼‍♂️

Still, great songwriters.
great song writers...... on 14:49 - May 28 with 1570 viewscolinallcars

George and Ira Gershwin were interviewed on the speaking wireless in about 1937.
The compere said “when you guys write a song, what comes first, the words or the music?”
George replied “the contract”
great song writers...... on 15:08 - May 28 with 1557 viewsbaz_qpr

I generally judge by the amount of duff against the great.

Marr / Morrissey for me are the most consistent
Robert Smith as well
Damon Albarn for variety of styles
Holland - Dozier - Holland for Motown
great song writers...... on 15:15 - May 28 with 1532 viewsrbee

Reading R_from_Afar's comments on Primus reminded me of the wonderful Jake Thackray. This song is both very funny and naughty.

Login to get fewer ads

great song writers...... on 15:20 - May 28 with 1517 viewsblacky200

Kate Bush
Jim Steinman
great song writers...... on 15:35 - May 28 with 1476 viewsNed_Kennedys

great song writers...... on 14:12 - May 28 by R_from_afar

"Last and right up there with the best is the lad from Grimsby who wrote all the hits for Heatwave, was taken to the USA by Quincy Jones to write for The Brothers Johnson, Donna Summer, Quincy himself, George Benson and Michael Jackson. The man who gave us Thriller, Off the Wall and Rock With You, Mr Rod Temperton".

This is a great shout and I was actually just about to post about him, but - pedant alert - he was actually born in Cleethorpes

Russ Ballard, Waltham Cross' finest, also deserves a mention. I knew he wrote top tunes like Rainbow's "Since you've been gone" and the Argent song Kiss turned into a massive anthem, "God gave roll and roll to you," but it turns out that he also wrote "So you win again" and "You can do magic".

There are so many others I could mention but I must put in a good word for Primus. The lyrics are clever and tell all sorts of stories, from hilarious to cautionary ones, and the music is so inventive, catchy and memorable, yet unorthodox. The bass often plays the lead line while the guitar creates soundscapes .

Love Primus! Always wished I’d been the crowd at Woodstock 94 to see them.

great song writers...... on 15:43 - May 28 with 1453 viewsfrancisbowles

Here's a few that haven't been mentioned
Rodney Crowell, Willie Nelson, Phil Lynott, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, John Fogerty, Randy Newman, Ryan Adams

I forgot our very own Mick Jones.
[Post edited 28 May 15:45]
great song writers...... on 16:29 - May 28 with 1368 viewscolinallcars

By coincidence,there's an article on Jimmy Webb in today's Times.
He says many/most songwriters are unhappy people and somehow this gets turned on its head by producing beautiful music.
He cites Rodgers and Hart, possibly the greatest writers of the 20th century but both alcoholic depressives who hated each other's guts.
great song writers...... on 16:59 - May 28 with 1332 viewsWoog

Michael Head
Willy Vlautin
Ian Curtis
Dittos for Nigel Blackwell, Kate Bush
great song writers...... on 17:18 - May 28 with 1304 viewshubble

Surely Leon Russell has to feature on this list.

For those that haven't heard of him, a couple of quotes from a Guardian feature on him:

"...between 1969 and 1973 Russell was music’s North Star, pioneering a distinctly American sound that changed the career paths of stars, including Eric Clapton, George Harrison and Elton John. In that timeframe, he created a band that became one of music’s most legendary live acts; made Mad Dogs & Englishmen for Joe Cocker; stole the show from a white hot lineup of artists at the Concert for Bangladesh; became a star in his own right with solo albums that featured songs that became standards, including Song for You and This Masquerade; and inspired the icon Willie Nelson to create his enduring outlaw country persona. Even before he became widely known, Russell had an esteemed career as a first call session pianist, performing with the Wrecking Crew on recordings by everyone from Frank Sinatra to The Beach Boys to the rococo productions of Phil Spector.

"By 1969, Russell had become a musical octopus with tentacles spreading to his own record company (Shelter Records), a duo he formed called the Asylum Choir, and, most importantly, key contributions to albums by Delaney & Bonnie, the only white act signed to Stax. Their rollicking second album, Accept No Substitute, didn’t sell well yet it became, in Janovitz’s words, “a secret handshake. It was the album where all the major musicians said to each other, ‘You have to hear this.’

The buzz on Delaney & Bonnie’s record was so intense, it inspired Eric Clapton, Dave Mason and George Harrison to join the group – which also included Rita Coolidge – for a UK tour. A then unknown Elton John found himself equally besotted. “Elton once said to me, ‘I would not be where I am today without Leon Russell and Delaney & Bonnie, and the music you all made,’” Coolidge said."

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/mar/05/he-was-central-to-music-history-th

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

great song writers...... on 17:46 - May 28 with 1271 viewsEsox_Lucius

Late shouts for Shane McGowan, Ian Dury and Don Henley/ Glen Frey.

The grass is always greener.

great song writers...... on 06:54 - May 29 with 1133 viewsFearless

No mention of Van the Man as yet?
great song writers...... on 07:10 - May 29 with 1129 viewsjohnhoop

Bryan Ferry.
great song writers...... on 07:32 - May 29 with 1087 viewsRassilon

Billy Joel

Possibly Chris Rea?
great song writers...... on 07:40 - May 29 with 1082 viewsjohncharles

Impossible to pick “the best” but Cole Porter must get a mention

From the roaring traffic boom
To the silence of my lonely room
I think of you day and night
Night and day

Strong and stable my arse.

great song writers...... on 07:56 - May 29 with 1069 viewsdmm

Rbee's Jake Thackray post prompted me to put forward Tom Lehrer. If you've never heard his stuff, he's worth a Youtube search. Here's an example...

great song writers...... on 09:56 - May 29 with 977 viewscolinallcars

great song writers...... on 07:40 - May 29 by johncharles

Impossible to pick “the best” but Cole Porter must get a mention

From the roaring traffic boom
To the silence of my lonely room
I think of you day and night
Night and day

Cole Porter…what a lyricist:

In Spain the best upper sets do it
Lithuanians and Letts do it
Let's do it, let's fall in love.

In shallow shoals English soles do it
Goldfish in the privacy of bowls do it
Let's do it, let's fall in love.
great song writers...... on 10:07 - May 29 with 934 viewsDannyPaddox

Great to see Cole Porter and Bryan Ferry mentioned. Ferry says Roxy’s Do The Strand is heavily influenced by Porter’s style of writing.

I would think Ian Dury’s Hit me with your rhythm stick owes a lot to Cole Porter too.
great song writers...... on 10:08 - May 29 with 931 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Phil Ochs
great song writers...... on 12:21 - May 29 with 870 viewsBrianWilson

Brian Wilson

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

great song writers...... on 15:08 - May 29 with 785 viewsfrancisbowles

Don't think anyone has mentioned Jagger and Richards or Pete Townsend.
Just listened to a Dam Penn interview and he has written some great soul tunes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024