Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How do you blood youngsters? 11:17 - Sep 26 with 3723 viewsGloucs_R

Put them into a League Cup game and we get beat - people moan
Put them into a Championship game and we lose - people moan
Leave them in the U23 - people moan
Blend youth and experience in the first team - Lumley and Eze with others making appearances from the bench and some say thats not enough.

Both Lumley and Eze had successful loans, which isnt the case for a lot of the others. Is it that they are simply good enough but the others arent?

Poll: Are we staying up?

How do you blood youngsters? on 08:12 - Sep 27 with 817 viewstraininvain

How do you blood youngsters? on 00:25 - Sep 27 by timcocking

Granted, after the 7-1 something had to change immediately.

Why did we lose 7-1, though? Nedum swapped for Captain Tony Leistner, Robbo swapped for Lynch, Smithies swapped for Ingram. Three major downgrades. WTF were they thinking (anybody says saving money, i'll fcuking swing for them them)?

What did they do then? Get rid of Smyth, Kakay, Manning. The young players we brought McClaren in to work with. Two months in, most of our players will hate him already. If we stay up, we're staying up with 30 year old loanees. All McClaren has done is fcuk up our young players so far.

It would appear have quite literally taken one step forward then gone into full reverse and now have management who couldn't care less about helping QPR. Just don't bother entering the fcuking cup if we're going to lose on purpose.

Depressing. I'm never one for blaming the management, but Christ this is depressing, there have really been a lot of mistakes in recent times.

We'd do better with me in charge. I mean it. Or Clive.

Leistner and Lynch have been pretty good since Bristol City. Not sure they are solely to blame for our poor start to the season, particularly since the team improved once a few more experienced players came into the side.

Let’s keep this in perspective. We’re roughly on par with the start we made last season with at least two youngsters starting regularly. This time last week we were unbeaten in five starting to look up the table. We’ve had a couple of bad results since but it’s not a reason to rip everything up and start again. Not sure why everyone has to be so melodramatic nowadays.
How do you blood youngsters? on 08:49 - Sep 27 with 798 viewssimmo

I think whatever the situation, the younger/less experienced players would have been mostly enjoying the atmosphere last season and felt really positive about their prospects at this club that was constantly talking up youth progression and promoting from within. I think now they are probably feeling the opposite with a team that starts 4 loan signings and a few nowhere near the team at the behest of a manager who is supposed to be a brilliant coach of young players but actually just talks about needing 'men'.

I also don't really understand why this is allowed to happen when we have a DoF system. He's supposed to coach the team we have and work on the mandate he was given, which presumably was in part to improve and bring through the young players. Whether West Brom changed that or not, we shouldn't be approving 3-4 first 11 loan signings because the manager wants them, that's not what's supposed to happen with this set-up because then you lose the continuity. It's another new manager ripping it up and starting again a new way which is the opposite of what we want.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2018 8:58]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

How do you blood youngsters? on 09:20 - Sep 27 with 776 viewstraininvain

How do you blood youngsters? on 08:49 - Sep 27 by simmo

I think whatever the situation, the younger/less experienced players would have been mostly enjoying the atmosphere last season and felt really positive about their prospects at this club that was constantly talking up youth progression and promoting from within. I think now they are probably feeling the opposite with a team that starts 4 loan signings and a few nowhere near the team at the behest of a manager who is supposed to be a brilliant coach of young players but actually just talks about needing 'men'.

I also don't really understand why this is allowed to happen when we have a DoF system. He's supposed to coach the team we have and work on the mandate he was given, which presumably was in part to improve and bring through the young players. Whether West Brom changed that or not, we shouldn't be approving 3-4 first 11 loan signings because the manager wants them, that's not what's supposed to happen with this set-up because then you lose the continuity. It's another new manager ripping it up and starting again a new way which is the opposite of what we want.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2018 8:58]

Not sure that's entirely true. I remember Birmingham away last season in December and being sat behind Furlong and Manning who both looked p1ssed off at not being involved.

Have a look at our team in the first few months of last season and you'll see that Holloway preferred experience over youth as his main objective was safety. This changed in the latter part of the season.

McClaren tried to continue with the youngsters in the first four games of this season until it became pretty clear that he'd be out of a job and we'd be cut adrift at the bottom of the table if this continued.

Now we have two youngsters featuring every week which is still an improvement on last season. I'm sure this will improve as the season progresses but surely this idea that we can just pick four or five youngsters every game and survive was disproved by the first four games of the season?
How do you blood youngsters? on 11:54 - Sep 27 with 742 viewsfrancisbowles

How do you blood youngsters? on 00:25 - Sep 27 by timcocking

Granted, after the 7-1 something had to change immediately.

Why did we lose 7-1, though? Nedum swapped for Captain Tony Leistner, Robbo swapped for Lynch, Smithies swapped for Ingram. Three major downgrades. WTF were they thinking (anybody says saving money, i'll fcuking swing for them them)?

What did they do then? Get rid of Smyth, Kakay, Manning. The young players we brought McClaren in to work with. Two months in, most of our players will hate him already. If we stay up, we're staying up with 30 year old loanees. All McClaren has done is fcuk up our young players so far.

It would appear have quite literally taken one step forward then gone into full reverse and now have management who couldn't care less about helping QPR. Just don't bother entering the fcuking cup if we're going to lose on purpose.

Depressing. I'm never one for blaming the management, but Christ this is depressing, there have really been a lot of mistakes in recent times.

We'd do better with me in charge. I mean it. Or Clive.

You are dismissing the fact that Nedum, Jack and Alex all wanted to leave.

Now, whether the replacements were right or up to standard is debatable but we had bought Ingram, who came highly rated and with a lot of, lower level, first team matches, as a future replacement for Smithies and he had a fairly long wait for his chance. Ok, it didn't work out for him so far and we were fortunate to have Lumley to step up.

Leistner is what we have been looking for since Clint left, i.e. a head it kick it merchant. It has been a bit of an up and down start for him but he seems to be getting on with it.
Lynch is playing very well at the moment and we will wait and see if this lasts. He also gives balance to the centre of defence with being left footed. The biggest problem with these two is that they are quite similar with the same strengths and weaknesses including a lack of pace.

FFP is as much as we detest it a reality and it was the aim to keep within it, and of course the income is declining. So the replacements had to be less costly and as was reported other targets got better offers and went elsewhere.

West Brom seems to have changed things and I would love to know how we are going to stay within budget with these three loan signings from the top division.
How do you blood youngsters? on 11:58 - Sep 27 with 739 viewsbeanofire1

How do you blood youngsters? on 11:39 - Sep 26 by RANGERS4EVER

It doesn't help that literally the whole of summer the Twitter page was spread with McClaren and Fernandes and basically everyone talking about the youth and how this season was finally going to see us head in the right direction and build with the youth, like many other teams have been doing, only for us to be five games in, we've completely scratched that, Hemed Wells Cameron and Rangel have all come into replace them, Manning has been sent out on loan, Smyth can't get on the bench, and Kakay has gone from starting to behind Alex Bloody Baptiste, and the only games they are getting they are put out to dry in the cup, only to be blamed for the loss by the so called manager who works so well with the youngsters

That, is spot on.

As for blooding them, you make 3/4 changes to a side and not 9 or 11. You bring them in along side the first team players, not alongside players who may not have played for a month.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2018 12:05]

'I knw I ain't doing much........but doing nothing means a lot to me.'

How do you blood youngsters? on 12:14 - Sep 27 with 717 viewssimmo

How do you blood youngsters? on 09:20 - Sep 27 by traininvain

Not sure that's entirely true. I remember Birmingham away last season in December and being sat behind Furlong and Manning who both looked p1ssed off at not being involved.

Have a look at our team in the first few months of last season and you'll see that Holloway preferred experience over youth as his main objective was safety. This changed in the latter part of the season.

McClaren tried to continue with the youngsters in the first four games of this season until it became pretty clear that he'd be out of a job and we'd be cut adrift at the bottom of the table if this continued.

Now we have two youngsters featuring every week which is still an improvement on last season. I'm sure this will improve as the season progresses but surely this idea that we can just pick four or five youngsters every game and survive was disproved by the first four games of the season?

That's not true either, also I am not saying it was a haven for youth players last season as we all got frustrated with them being in and out of the team rather than given a run of games, but we didn't have 1 loan player blocking anybodys path last season, now a 3rd of our first 11 is loan signings. I accept that Wells and Hemed are vastly superior, that's fine (although I don't think we should have got both just because we could - especially as we're now in a position where they both have to play), but how is that a good environment for youth players having a pathway?

Also it's less about playing 4 or 5 inexperienced players at all costs and more about giving them more than an odd game in the cup and then dismissing them before deciding to throw them under the bus and use that to justify 'men' over boys. There were a lot of senior players in those first few games that are equally to blame for the performances, so why are they not under the same scrutiny? In fact we were massively improved by removing a more experienced keeper and replacing him with a youth teamer...

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

How do you blood youngsters? on 12:34 - Sep 27 with 693 viewstraininvain

How do you blood youngsters? on 12:14 - Sep 27 by simmo

That's not true either, also I am not saying it was a haven for youth players last season as we all got frustrated with them being in and out of the team rather than given a run of games, but we didn't have 1 loan player blocking anybodys path last season, now a 3rd of our first 11 is loan signings. I accept that Wells and Hemed are vastly superior, that's fine (although I don't think we should have got both just because we could - especially as we're now in a position where they both have to play), but how is that a good environment for youth players having a pathway?

Also it's less about playing 4 or 5 inexperienced players at all costs and more about giving them more than an odd game in the cup and then dismissing them before deciding to throw them under the bus and use that to justify 'men' over boys. There were a lot of senior players in those first few games that are equally to blame for the performances, so why are they not under the same scrutiny? In fact we were massively improved by removing a more experienced keeper and replacing him with a youth teamer...

But last season we had far more experience throughout the squad with the likes of Onuoha, Smithies, Robinson, Perch, Mackie etc. We needed to replace this experience and clearly struggled to address this with long term targets so ended up with loanees.

I agree with your second paragraph and would like to see more of Smyth and Bright but i do find the general reaction to a couple of poor results a bit over the top and I can't help but think that a lot of people had their minds made up about McClaren before a ball was kicked this season.

Anyway, i'm sure he'll be gone soon enough and we can all look forward to his replacement being a massive improvement as that's what usually happens, right?
How do you blood youngsters? on 12:48 - Sep 27 with 666 viewsdaveB

How do you blood youngsters? on 09:20 - Sep 27 by traininvain

Did he try and continue with the youngsters? He had no choice but to play Kakay and he was dropped at the first opportunity for a 35 year old. Eze was an obvious choice and one of our better players but the rest were put in for a half or 20 minutes then disappeared. Smyth written off due to a bad half against Sheff Utd when no one played particularly well. It's not been youth for the first 4 games then a switch to experience, it was a pretty experienced team from the start of the season
Login to get fewer ads

How do you blood youngsters? on 13:53 - Sep 27 with 621 viewstraininvain

How do you blood youngsters? on 12:48 - Sep 27 by daveB

Did he try and continue with the youngsters? He had no choice but to play Kakay and he was dropped at the first opportunity for a 35 year old. Eze was an obvious choice and one of our better players but the rest were put in for a half or 20 minutes then disappeared. Smyth written off due to a bad half against Sheff Utd when no one played particularly well. It's not been youth for the first 4 games then a switch to experience, it was a pretty experienced team from the start of the season

Team vs Preston: four youngsters started (one off the bench)
Team vs Sheff Utd: four youngsters started (one off the bench)
Team vs WBA: three youngsters started (none off the bench)
Team vs Bristol: two youngsters started (none off the bench)
Team vs Wigan: two youngsters started (none off the bench)

You can see the gradual change after three or four games. I'd love to see a team full of our youth players but the priority has to be survival.

It's easy to say Eze (it really is!) was an obvious choice but Holloway even said last week after Millwall that he didn't want to use him last season as he's only suited to a certain style of football (possession).

I'm not saying that McCalren's perfect (far from it) but i don't think rewriting history is helpful to anyone involved with QPR.
How do you blood youngsters? on 15:09 - Sep 27 with 583 viewsfrancisbowles

I just hope that Les is having a strong discussion with Schteeve this week about refocussing on the original goal of developing our young players and starting off by having a couple on the bench and using them more often.

Otherwise, poor performance and a final written warning.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024