Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
froch v groves 21:16 - Nov 22 with 7216 viewsthemodfather

i have always rated froch..he has been in a few wars and many world title fights...i think groves is ok ( shame he's a chelsea plum) but not ready for froch.
the interest is, can the younger man overcome the aging champ?
a rocky story....or will froch's experience, stamina,power and being a long time champ see him thru?
if it was kessler v froch, i'd say kessler ko's groves early doors...kessler is a top fighter and froch nearly had him down on the way to a good pts win and an epic row!
bar the bute fight, froch has not knocked many down....hope i get the chance to see it live.
froch v groves on 08:36 - Nov 25 with 1305 viewsToast_R

froch v groves on 06:38 - Nov 25 by Pommyhoop

I think the' hypnosis' fight was Eubank // Collins . Talk of Collins being hypnotysed and was impossible to beat really freaked Chris Eubank out..

Collins was the luckiest son of a gun to win the title. Eubank was spent by then having been clearly effected by the Watson fight. Had Collins at one stage but didn't go and finish him off. Likewise when he fought Benn.

Although the McClellan v Benn fight seemed a great fight it wasn't really. McClellan couldn't carry on in the end because his brain had started to clot with blood. Not sure if it was the accidental head butt Benn caught him with that caused it but it was a terrible thing as McClellan was clearly beating him in every department.

Although McClellan had a real mean streak in his characters and got up to all kinds of mean activities outside the ring, to see him now is heart breaking.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2013 8:37]
froch v groves on 08:52 - Nov 25 with 1291 viewsPigbag

froch v groves on 14:49 - Nov 24 by Neil_SI

Edit: Duh, keep forgetting to reply properly (in response to Mr 100percent)

Well I'm no expert in the sport of boxing, so I can only tell it how I thought I saw it. I'm a fan of both men, but to me, Froch is a club fighter who lacks the technical skills, both in defence and attack, and his lack of defensive care in this one was actually pretty scary.

He is very tough though and can hit hard, but not even Mikkel Kessler who is also very strong, could get him out of there, even if he came close. But those fights with Kessler have probably taken their toll on Froch and exaggerated that lack of speed and technical care even more. He was badly exposed, and if he wasn't and just took Groves lightly, then he's pretty stupid. World Class boxers do not fall into that trap — like how Groves did when he dropped his gloves, but that on Groves' part is just inexperience.

From my perspective, in that final round, I actually thought Froch was very desperate, simply because of the way he was wildly swinging and thrashing punches around, it made me feel like it was him who was on his last legs and he was trying to go for broke in a bid to land something big and swing proceedings in his favour. He didn't look in control.

But of course, he did land with some, but he could easily have been tagged on the counter and completely finished himself in some of those exchanges. I think a more experienced Groves, able to pace himself at that level and with more experience, would have exposed that desperation and finished Froch.

Maybe you can debate that it wasn't desperation on Froch's part, and that his experience knew that was the best moment in the match to go wild like that, but I really don't think that was the case, he was getting beaten up and only Groves' stamina was the question mark, and, in what ultimately happened, whether if he got tagged by a couple of big ones, whether he could take it. I think he would have managed to smother and hang on, and if the fight had been officiated properly - I think he would have won more easily. The referee allowed Froch lots of dirty exchanges in clinches and after breaks had been called. Had that not happened, as some of those free punches surely took their toll as well, maybe, just maybe, Groves would had been a bit fresher.

There were times when some of Froch's antics were really unsavoury to the point, I felt like, jeeze, you're getting beaten up fair and square so you're resorting to this? Doesn't change my mind about Froch mind, I like him. He's fought hard over the years, always against the best opponents he can and I respect that an awful lot.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2013 14:52]

It wasn't desperation at all. Froch is known for getting stronger as the fight goes on, which was clear what was happening in this fight. Round 8 showed Froch was getting on top and round 9 Groves was really struggling. The ref should never have stopped it as he went against the rules by stopping the fight when the fighter was still able to defend himself. But in my opinion Groves would have done well to see that round out let alone the next 3 rounds. It's a shame because you can look at it two ways, froch was denied a clear victory or perhaps groves would of survived and was denied a clear points victory.
froch v groves on 09:08 - Nov 25 with 1278 viewsbobby

If Froch had been on the ropes in the same position as Groves was there is zero chance that would have been stopped..

http://twitter.com/#/bobbyosborne1

froch v groves on 09:09 - Nov 25 with 1275 viewsgobbles

froch v groves on 12:59 - Nov 24 by daveB

if the 9th round stoppage was justified then it should have been stopped in the 1st round when Froch had gone

That's not quite true as both boxers were far more tired in the ninth, had both taken plenty of hard shots by then and were therefore in more danger. However, still think it was too quick. Chances are Groves would not have seen out the round though
froch v groves on 13:01 - Nov 25 with 1237 viewsNeil_SI

froch v groves on 08:52 - Nov 25 by Pigbag

It wasn't desperation at all. Froch is known for getting stronger as the fight goes on, which was clear what was happening in this fight. Round 8 showed Froch was getting on top and round 9 Groves was really struggling. The ref should never have stopped it as he went against the rules by stopping the fight when the fighter was still able to defend himself. But in my opinion Groves would have done well to see that round out let alone the next 3 rounds. It's a shame because you can look at it two ways, froch was denied a clear victory or perhaps groves would of survived and was denied a clear points victory.

Yeah perhaps so, but I've seen plenty of Froch's other fights where he came on strong towards the end, but not swinging as wildly as he did here. Some of his punches were so wide and so open, it was almost suicidal. An experienced fighter would have been able to counter him and probably take him out of there.

Groves' inexperience and lack of stamina perhaps cost him in that sense, as he couldn't exploit those mistakes as the rounds wore on. He did in the first round when he was fresh though and scored a thumping knock down, and was countering Froch easily up until the sixth or seventh.

The round where they had the tear up was mind-blowing as well, terrific from both men, but again, maybe that took more out of Groves than was necessary for him.

But sure, maybe Froch would have finished him or maybe Groves would have survived his scare, cleared his head and avoided for the last part of the fight, or maybe he wouldn't and Froch would have forced a stoppage, who knows? I just thought Groves was unfortunate and unlucky with the referee's decision and even though Froch won, he knows deep down he was well beaten throughout the fight and was losing it by a wide distance.

There's a difference as well, when you box to just score points for a win, perhaps a little how Groves did with James De Gale, you come away feeling like the other person has almost cheated or taken an easy way out... But then actually roughing somebody up at the same time as scoring all those points, Groves did both those parts well against Froch and that's the main thing both men can take away from it.

The other problem for Groves, as has always been the case with him, is that he marks up easily and that may be a problem for him down the line. He's got to learn not to get hit so much and he's good enough and smart enough a boxer to improve on that side.
froch v groves on 13:38 - Nov 25 with 1219 viewsJeff

as an interesting aside that may have been overlooked in all the outrage about the stoppage (for my money, it was a tad early, but better early that too late...):

at the time of the stoppage, Froch was behind by ONE point on two of the judges scorecards. Froch would have won the round that Groves was stopped in, meaning that going into the 10th, the scores would have been level, with Froch massively in the ascendancy - Froch may have ended up winning on points anyway...

Can we not knock it?

froch v groves on 17:42 - Nov 25 with 1177 viewsbobby

The fact that 2 of the judges had Groves only ahead by 1 round is also very dodgy.
He controlled that fight and pundits like Jim Watt thought Groves could even lose the last 3 rounds and still get a points decision. And that is how I scored it.
Also Froch should have been deducted points for holding and hitting
The other judge had Groves 5 points ahead which was a true reflection.
Very strange decisions and scoring and I hope there is an enquiry.
The only justice in this was that a Chelsea fan was mugged off.

http://twitter.com/#/bobbyosborne1

froch v groves on 17:50 - Nov 25 with 1169 viewsSuffolkHoop

It was a good stoppage. Froch could have seriously hurt Groves with the next punch or two.

http://touch.dailymotion.com/#/video/x17m4w9_froch-vs-groves-the-stoppage_sport
Login to get fewer ads

froch v groves on 00:18 - Nov 26 with 1119 viewsNorthLondonR

froch v groves on 17:50 - Nov 25 by SuffolkHoop

It was a good stoppage. Froch could have seriously hurt Groves with the next punch or two.

http://touch.dailymotion.com/#/video/x17m4w9_froch-vs-groves-the-stoppage_sport

Completely agree, I said to my mate late in the 7th I think Groves' legs had gone and kept saying it throu the 8th and 9th, although he was still throwing punches, he was barely defending himself and had straightened up completely so effectively fighting with no discernible guard.

From a selfish point of view it would have been good to see the round out, however I think the ref did a great job. There was still a lot of time in the round and he could have been seriously hurt.

however Groves was fantastic and really dished out a master class in every one but the last round, if he could learn to defend and move his feet he could become a serious player. However he would not even get near Ward at this stage.
froch v groves on 14:32 - Nov 26 with 1070 viewscjc

Stoppage too early.

He may have got knocked out or may not have. There are moments in fights like this where fighters go through bad periods. Who is to say if he knocked down and got up he would have not have survived the round and regrouped for the next knowing that he has to change his game plan.

Groves is a clever boxer and know his strengths and weaknesses. Fitness would not have been an issue. There were times early in the fight where Froch looked outclassed and it could have got worse for him but he came back stronger. Groves should have had the same opportunity.

This is world title fighting after all!

Where there is hoop there's the hoops.

froch v groves on 12:19 - Dec 6 with 998 viewsJonDoeman

Carl Froch all but dismissed the idea of going 'over old ground' in a rematch with George Groves.

"Do I want to go over old ground? Not at the minute, no. I like to move forward in my career and the only old ground I like to go over again is for a defeat."

The WBC and IBF middleweight champion was on Ringside for the first time since his controversial win on November 23....cont
http://www1.skysports.com/watch/tv-shows/ringside/news/9059202/carl-froch-told-r

It Is What It Is !!

froch v groves on 12:38 - Dec 6 with 983 viewsTheBlob

froch v groves on 12:19 - Dec 6 by JonDoeman

Carl Froch all but dismissed the idea of going 'over old ground' in a rematch with George Groves.

"Do I want to go over old ground? Not at the minute, no. I like to move forward in my career and the only old ground I like to go over again is for a defeat."

The WBC and IBF middleweight champion was on Ringside for the first time since his controversial win on November 23....cont
http://www1.skysports.com/watch/tv-shows/ringside/news/9059202/carl-froch-told-r

Thought so.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

froch v groves on 12:39 - Dec 6 with 979 viewssimmo

What a surprise. He doesnt want to get involved in a fight that he knows will be run so close. If he had any real integrity he would give Groves the rematch, because he has earnt at least that.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

froch v groves on 12:51 - Dec 6 with 968 viewsstonebridgers

Integrity and boxing do not go hand in hand. One of the most corrupt sports in the world

Stonebridgers

froch v groves on 12:51 - Dec 6 with 967 viewsedwardtheconfessor

Perhaps snake hipped pugilist Tom daley could throw he's hat in the ring.. He's on a roll at the moment..

'youre a muppet"
"im not a muppet"
@phil daniels /tim roth

Walk with me through the universe..and along the way see how all of us are connected....feast the eyes of you soul on all love and abounds in all places at once seemingly endless..like your own existence..we are connected..

froch v groves on 12:54 - Dec 6 with 957 viewsTheBlob

froch v groves on 12:51 - Dec 6 by edwardtheconfessor

Perhaps snake hipped pugilist Tom daley could throw he's hat in the ring.. He's on a roll at the moment..

'youre a muppet"
"im not a muppet"
@phil daniels /tim roth

I think you'll find Our Tom subscribes to another type of "Ring" magazine.

froch v groves on 12:56 - Dec 6 with 955 views100percent

Rematch is happening - next May.
froch v groves on 12:59 - Dec 6 with 953 viewsTheBlob

froch v groves on 12:56 - Dec 6 by 100percent

Rematch is happening - next May.

Yeah I saw that on Paddy Power.Don't hold your breath,the fact that it's billed for April 1st might be significant.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024