Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City v Liverpool preview 19:57 - Sep 15 with 3581 viewsjackh

Good evening - Liverpool supporter here, looking forward to the match tomorrow night. Wondered if any of you would be happy to offer a few Q&A responses for an LFC blog I contribute to? I'm only looking for short responses, pub-style chat if you like, to get insight from the Swansea perspective. Any responses greatly appreciated - questions as follow:

Michael Laudrup’s first decade in management has brought achievements that have seen him develop a reputation as a top young manager — what do you think you need to achieve this season in order to retain him?

Your recent rise, under the stylish management of Roberto Martinez, Paulo Sousa, Brendan Rodgers, and Michael Laudrup, has caught the eye of many — though the importance of continuation under various managers is plain to see, what can you say about Rodgers’ role during this period?

Despite your recent success, do you have any concerns about the changing, or even a loss of the, DNA of the Club? Supporters of your rivals Cardiff City appear to be having a bittersweet time of it — albeit owing to a much accelerated period of change.

You certainly haven’t stood still over the summer — plenty of new faces, presumably with the Europa League in mind. Wilfried Bony looks to have made an excellent start and loanee Alvaro Vasquez looks an interesting prospect — what can you tell us about your signings?

Michu’s first year in South Wales was one of the highlights of the 2012-13 season for neutrals and you must be delighted to have kept the Spaniard for the new campaign — were you concerned about any potential departure during the summer or would it have been accepted as a realistic acknowledgement of circumstances had a top club to offered the right price?

You were dealt a tough hand as the fixture list was announced but you’ve won the game you should have and qualified for the Europa League proper — are you satisfied so far or do you have worries that a difficult start and a heavy workload could lead to a tricky season?

Bringing everything together then, what are your hopes and expectations for the season ahead?

Are there any stories at the Liberty Stadium or amongst the fanbase that the national media may have overlooked?

So finally, how do you see yourselves lining up on Monday, how are you expecting the game to be played out, and are you brave enough to offer us a prediction?

Cheers - looking forward to Monday's match and seeing more of you this season. Think your team have been a real breath of fresh air since arriving in the league and you'll have a good season once again.
Swansea City v Liverpool preview on 21:16 - Sep 15 with 3451 viewsPureRockFury

Michael Laudrup’s first decade in management has brought achievements that have seen him develop a reputation as a top young manager — what do you think you need to achieve this season in order to retain him?

The general feeling has always been that he will leave at the end this season - some think his self-appointed successor has already been hired when we took Morten Wieghorst, then Danish u-21 manager, as his assistant earlier this year. The kerfuffle in the summer when there was a very public spat between the club and ML's long-time agent/friend which ended in the club banning the agent from the club probably hasn't helped matters... unless a) we do something extraordinary again i.e. get into Europe again or finish top 8, or b) we have such a sh*t season that no other club of any reputation wants him. Then again, in a recent press conference he was saying how good it was to come back after the summer break to familiar surroundings/staff etc. I don't think he's had that stability since Brondby, so maybe he'll get comfy here and change his current mindset which seems to be 'I'll do a job for 1 or 2 years then feck off'.

Your recent rise, under the stylish management of Roberto Martinez, Paulo Sousa, Brendan Rodgers, and Michael Laudrup, has caught the eye of many — though the importance of continuation under various managers is plain to see, what can you say about Rodgers’ role during this period?

His success was down to 2 main things IMO, neither particularly related to tactics
1 - he was able to bring in some top quality players - Borini, SInclair, Sigurdsson, Caulker, re-signing Leon Britton. Being able to take Borini and SInclair to us in the Championship through his Chelsea connections was game-changing for us.
2 - He does have a talent for motivating players, for making them feel good and positive. A lot of it does come out as David Brent nonsense, but some of it obviously works as players seem to love him and want to play for him (on the whole). So yeah, the mixture of some quality signings and giving the players a sense of belief are the two things he added to the mix.

Despite your recent success, do you have any concerns about the changing, or even a loss of the, DNA of the Club? Supporters of your rivals Cardiff City appear to be having a bittersweet time of it — albeit owing to a much accelerated period of change.

There is a palpable sense of unease among some fans about the conflict between the ethos of us as a 'fan-owned club' (although that's only partially true anyway) and the commercial decisions made by the club in the context of the Premier League riches (ticket prices/dividends to shareholders etc), but that's a bigger issue for another time

You certainly haven’t stood still over the summer — plenty of new faces, presumably with the Europa League in mind. Wilfried Bony looks to have made an excellent start and loanee Alvaro Vasquez looks an interesting prospect — what can you tell us about your signings?

Won't go through them all, but main ones:
Bony - bit stop-start as only started 1 league game so far, but scored on his league and european debut so signs are good.
Canas - Leon Britton on steroids (with dramatic side-effects on hair).
Shelvey - well, you know about him. Needs to improve decision-making, but you can tell he has a lot of talent. We've missed having a midfielder who likes having a pop at goal so hopefully he'll add some of that to our game.

Michu’s first year in South Wales was one of the highlights of the 2012-13 season for neutrals and you must be delighted to have kept the Spaniard for the new campaign — were you concerned about any potential departure during the summer or would it have been accepted as a realistic acknowledgement of circumstances had a top club to offered the right price?

I expected him to leave in the summer along with Ash, but delighted he's stayed obviously

You were dealt a tough hand as the fixture list was announced but you’ve won the game you should have and qualified for the Europa League proper — are you satisfied so far or do you have worries that a difficult start and a heavy workload could lead to a tricky season?

The WBA win, and performance, was massive for us. I don't fear the impact of extra games - last season we seemed to revel in the congested fixture schedule in mid-winter caused by the league cup run and got some of our best results. With a much stronger squad this season I think we'll be fine.

Bringing everything together then, what are your hopes and expectations for the season ahead?

I'd love for us to consolidate top 10 and have a good run in one of the cup competitions again, but mainly I'd just love us to create more memories like those of winning at the Emirates, Stamford Bridge and Anfield last season. Whether a prolonged period in the top flight changes this or not, Swansea's success always had a large dose of 'against the odds' about it, and I'd love for us to create more memories like that, upsetting the 'big boys' and confounding pundits, starting tomorrow night ;)

Are there any stories at the Liberty Stadium or amongst the fanbase that the national media may have overlooked?

There was a spat between the club and Laudrup's agent during the summer over transfers, the media really missed a trick by not picking up on that....*sarcasometer explodes*

So finally, how do you see yourselves lining up on Monday, how are you expecting the game to be played out, and are you brave enough to offer us a prediction? - See more at: http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/89428/swansea-city-v-liv

I predict a draw.

Even the bad times were good.

Swansea City v Liverpool preview on 21:35 - Sep 15 with 3408 viewsdgt73

Hi there, doesn't really matter what we do this season laudrup is his own man and if he wants to leave then that's what he will do, as for rodgers he done a good job for us had no option but to play football swans fan's have come accustomed to other wise he wouldn't of got the swansea's managers job in the first place. As for our new signings bony is strong with an eye for a goal dont know much about vasquez as I haven't seen him play yet. There was always a chance Michu could of left in the summer after the season he had for us but thak god he's still here. We certainly will not lose our dna no matter who is swansea's manager he has to play the way the fans and club want. As for the result I would be happy with a draw, but will go for 1 nil to the mighty Swans.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Swansea City v Liverpool preview on 21:42 - Sep 15 with 3386 viewsdgt73

[Post edited 15 Sep 2013 21:46]

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Swansea City v Liverpool preview on 10:24 - Sep 16 with 2858 viewsOldjack

***Sky Sports Breaking News***

Referee Michael Oliver's four sons have angrily denied that their dad is a huge Liverpool fan.... "He's a fair and honest man is our dad," said sons Kenny, Paisley, Shankley and Grobbelaar.

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Swansea City v Liverpool preview on 10:35 - Sep 16 with 2831 viewsjoswan17

Swansea City v Liverpool preview on 10:24 - Sep 16 by Oldjack

***Sky Sports Breaking News***

Referee Michael Oliver's four sons have angrily denied that their dad is a huge Liverpool fan.... "He's a fair and honest man is our dad," said sons Kenny, Paisley, Shankley and Grobbelaar.

Hahaha!

There once was an ugly duckling...

Swansea City v Liverpool preview on 11:01 - Sep 16 with 2789 viewsBackHeel

massive test tonight

http://passingpashion.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/massive-test-against-liverpool/

... if we get more than 50% possession against Buck's boys we could certainly win
Swansea City v Liverpool preview on 11:48 - Sep 16 with 2676 viewssa3swan

Swansea City v Liverpool preview on 21:16 - Sep 15 by PureRockFury

The general feeling has always been that he will leave at the end this season - some think his self-appointed successor has already been hired when we took Morten Wieghorst, then Danish u-21 manager, as his assistant earlier this year. The kerfuffle in the summer when there was a very public spat between the club and ML's long-time agent/friend which ended in the club banning the agent from the club probably hasn't helped matters... unless a) we do something extraordinary again i.e. get into Europe again or finish top 8, or b) we have such a sh*t season that no other club of any reputation wants him. Then again, in a recent press conference he was saying how good it was to come back after the summer break to familiar surroundings/staff etc. I don't think he's had that stability since Brondby, so maybe he'll get comfy here and change his current mindset which seems to be 'I'll do a job for 1 or 2 years then feck off'.

His success was down to 2 main things IMO, neither particularly related to tactics
1 - he was able to bring in some top quality players - Borini, SInclair, Sigurdsson, Caulker, re-signing Leon Britton. Being able to take Borini and SInclair to us in the Championship through his Chelsea connections was game-changing for us.
2 - He does have a talent for motivating players, for making them feel good and positive. A lot of it does come out as David Brent nonsense, but some of it obviously works as players seem to love him and want to play for him (on the whole). So yeah, the mixture of some quality signings and giving the players a sense of belief are the two things he added to the mix.

There is a palpable sense of unease among some fans about the conflict between the ethos of us as a 'fan-owned club' (although that's only partially true anyway) and the commercial decisions made by the club in the context of the Premier League riches (ticket prices/dividends to shareholders etc), but that's a bigger issue for another time

Won't go through them all, but main ones:
Bony - bit stop-start as only started 1 league game so far, but scored on his league and european debut so signs are good.
Canas - Leon Britton on steroids (with dramatic side-effects on hair).
Shelvey - well, you know about him. Needs to improve decision-making, but you can tell he has a lot of talent. We've missed having a midfielder who likes having a pop at goal so hopefully he'll add some of that to our game.

I expected him to leave in the summer along with Ash, but delighted he's stayed obviously

The WBA win, and performance, was massive for us. I don't fear the impact of extra games - last season we seemed to revel in the congested fixture schedule in mid-winter caused by the league cup run and got some of our best results. With a much stronger squad this season I think we'll be fine.

I'd love for us to consolidate top 10 and have a good run in one of the cup competitions again, but mainly I'd just love us to create more memories like those of winning at the Emirates, Stamford Bridge and Anfield last season. Whether a prolonged period in the top flight changes this or not, Swansea's success always had a large dose of 'against the odds' about it, and I'd love for us to create more memories like that, upsetting the 'big boys' and confounding pundits, starting tomorrow night ;)

There was a spat between the club and Laudrup's agent during the summer over transfers, the media really missed a trick by not picking up on that....*sarcasometer explodes*

So finally, how do you see yourselves lining up on Monday, how are you expecting the game to be played out, and are you brave enough to offer us a prediction? - See more at: http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/89428/swansea-city-v-liv

I predict a draw.

>> If we have another great season he'll be offered a job at a bigger club and its unlikely there's anything we can do to keep him. As in previous seasons, plans will already be in place regarding a successor though.

>> Martinez did all the hard work. He launched the philosophy, introduced new training methods from U8s upwards and began recruiting the right kind of player. Sousa was a stop gap. Rodgers of course did a fine job of continuing the strategy and philosophy. He bought/borrowed well, maintained motivation and was a great pr man for the club. I'm not convinced that he's a great tactician though.

>> No concerns at all as 'the dna' of the club has actually improved over the last few years. We still have a local- community club feel, but now have a reputation and style that is global in its reach. That makes me very proud.

>>Jurys out on Bony still. We all desperately want him to be a 20 goal a season man, but its early days still. He's a physical presence for sure so that adds a different dimension to our game. Vasquez hasn't played for us yet, but he's really just a back up striker anyway. Might get a run off the bench tonight though. Shelvey has impressed so far. Not spectacular but has been playing with his heart on his sleeve and - for all our fancy football - we do appreciate that down here still. Personally I like the look of Pozuelo, an AM from Real Betis. Mainly sub appearances so far but he is very direct and very skilful on the ball. Hoping he'll frighten the life out of your CBs in the last 15 mins tonight!

>>Once he'd signed a new contract and publicly committed to the club we were relatively confident he'd stay. Also, it was in some way fortunate for us that his form dipped at the end of last season. Anyway, most believe Michu will leave when Laudrup leaves, but I'll still be nervous in Jan transfer window. As an aside, I'm surprised you didn't take Ashley Williams off our hands in the Summer.

>>We played pretty well in defeat against Utd and Spurs so no worries here at all. We have quality in depth now so - barring any key injuries - we'll be ok.

>>Expect a good Europa League run (quarters) and a top 10 finish. And its wonderful to have such (relatively) high expectations.

>>Nothing really. You may be interested to hear that we're planning to add 11,000 seats over the next 3 years or so. Stadium naming rights are up for grabs too - Liberty is a sponsor (property developer) and not a generic name for the stadium as some think.

So finally, how do you see yourselves lining up on Monday, how are you expecting the game to be played out, and are you brave enough to offer us a prediction? - See more at: http://planetswans.fansnetwork.co.uk/forum/89428/swansea-city-v-liverpool-previe

>>You'll see more steel from us then you're used to. I predict a tight game and a 1-1 or 0-0 draw. Hoping Swans will pinch a 1-0 win.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024