Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just got back 22:59 - Aug 6 with 8316 viewsRotherhamDale

We played okay tonight. After holding on in the early stages of each half we were in the game, but struggled to create any clear cut chances.

Their goal was from an inswinging free kick that got glanced into the far corner. It came during our best period of the game.

Hill needs to have a look at how we concentrate when defending set pieces. 4 or 5 times tonight, the team just switched off as the ball went out.

Donny hit the bar twice. Once in the first half from a header from a corner, and Coppinger cut inside and forced a brilliant save from Lillis (who had an excellent game) in the second.

My Marks:

Lillis - 9 (MOM) - Kept us in it at times. Didn't put a foot wrong, and couldn't help the goal.
Rafferty - 6 - He looked weak tonight but improved in the second half (Apart from a half hearted tackle which led to them hitting the bar)
Eastham - 7 - Played well.
Lancashire - 7 - Played well.
O'Connell - 6 - Isn't a left back but he did alright.

Vincenti - 5 - Thought he was our worst player. He looked absolutely shattered in the second half.
Tutte - 8 - Would have been my MOM if Lillis didn't do so well.
Lund - 7 - Played Well
Hery - 6 - Ran a lot but didn't do much else.
Done - 7 - Drifted in and out the game. Looked better when switched to behind the front man.

Hogan - 6 - Struggled against 2 big centre halves. Needs to lift his head up more often.

Subs:
Henderson - 8 - Looked excellent.
Donnelly - 7 - Lots of effort. Positive.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2013 23:02]

Possession with progression.

Just got back on 17:32 - Aug 8 with 1822 viewswmgunit

Perhaps I've been a little harsh. As I've said before the lad certainly deserves to be given a chance. Based on his performances so far I would expect Bennett to take the full back slot once fit. Seems like that is several weeks away, so plenty of opportunity for Rafferty to stake his claim.
Just got back on 21:57 - Aug 8 with 1697 viewsAtThePeake

If people are talking about Rafferty's positioning with regards to the two chances that came from their left hand side, I think people are being harsh. The highlights show in both these chances that Rafferty is picking up another player out wide. It's up to a midfielder to pick up the runs of the players who receive the ball - which leads into another point made on this thread - the contribution of Cavanagh. That's exactly what he does, tracks the runs from midfield, in addition to offering an outlet in the centre, finding the space for other players to bounce off, and getting in between the midfield and defence to make crucial tackles and interceptions. He's a key player for us, for sure.

For what it's worth, I was unimpressed by Vincenti. Felt a few times he had a chance to swing the ball across or run into a bit of space when in fact he turned back, slowed the attack or counter-attack down, and played it back to the full back. He's a decent option, but for me, Hogan-Done-Henderson behind Donnelly is definitely our best attacking line-up.

Tangled up in blue.

Just got back on 22:17 - Aug 8 with 1681 viewsdilligas

You might be right with the four forwards you mention, the reason I think Vincenti will play regularly is the defensive option he offers alongside his height
Just got back on 17:21 - Aug 10 with 1490 viewswmgunit

Just got back on 22:12 - Aug 7 by isitme

He does the donkey work so that others can play hence why he doesn't get noticed as s much. In a young team he also provides that bit of experience and organisational skill.

It all becomes clear. 'Donkey work' suddenly seems a very apt word for it.
Just got back on 21:04 - Aug 10 with 1305 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Just got back on 00:51 - Aug 8 by wmgunit

I just haven't seen much of that donkey work.

In some ways I think it's a bit of a cop out to say he does the 'unseen' and 'donkey work'. It doesn't actually identify or explain what value he adds. As I say though, I will pay closer attention to him in the upcoming games to better understand.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2013 0:58]

Peter Cavanagh deserves a carrot today,not for all his donkey work but for being said donkey.

If the Rookie Ref warned him minutes before the Red card that he should n't kick out like said donkey ,to go and do it again is deserving of double carrots.

What an ass?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024