Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Foreign Investment 11:24 - Aug 6 with 5325 viewsPembrokeshire_Jack

First proper post so go easy!

These are in fact exciting times for the Swans.

If you are someone that has trolled through our recent threads, you would have heard these words a lot. As a football fan, I hate this phrase. Do not judge me though, as these are exciting times. I definitely think that our success is due to our solid foundations and our capability not to think too far ahead.
We have had a gradual rise but have not moved too fast. Everyone at the club or who has been in the last 6 or 7 years has had the philosophy of Swansea City engrained into them and if they do not see fit, they have moved on. Just look at QPR. Big Investor, Big intentions, now they are in the Championship.

The point of this post is to see what the opinion is on how we sustain ourselves. Is it to make sure the club continues to run the way it is now or do we need a foreign investor?

I may be naïve, as a 19 year old blinded by the success of the past 3 years, but I for one would not welcome the latter.

Capital One Cup Winners. Top-half finish. Europe.

Exciting times.

Would not want it spoiled by a man with a tash who can’t even pronounce Abertawe. Don’t get me wrong, money can have a massive contribution to a club, but there are no guarentees.

If the opportunity arose of a rich foreign investor wanting to buy the club, would you want it?
Foreign Investment on 11:37 - Aug 6 with 5267 viewsBrynmill_Jack

I think you have already answered your own question. I'll help you reinforce it.

NO.

It's not needed and neither is it wanted. Who in their right mind would ask for foreign ownership (now that we've already made millions with minimal outlay) to come in, maybe having had to borrow like Fenway and the Glasers to buy their club and immediately saddle it with debt. Or Leicester where their "billionaire" owners have got them into mid table in the Championship and not looking like getting promoted anytime this century. Groups like Fenway etc have to satisfy their shareholders do if one of their companies went tits up in the U.S.A. Those people may want to cash in on YOUR club to keep their dividends rolling in. F*ck that

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Foreign Investment on 11:37 - Aug 6 with 5266 viewsGreekSwan

I'm with you on this one, we are fine as we are.
Foreign Investment on 11:38 - Aug 6 with 5264 viewsW_Hunt

Foreign Investment on 11:37 - Aug 6 by Brynmill_Jack

I think you have already answered your own question. I'll help you reinforce it.

NO.

It's not needed and neither is it wanted. Who in their right mind would ask for foreign ownership (now that we've already made millions with minimal outlay) to come in, maybe having had to borrow like Fenway and the Glasers to buy their club and immediately saddle it with debt. Or Leicester where their "billionaire" owners have got them into mid table in the Championship and not looking like getting promoted anytime this century. Groups like Fenway etc have to satisfy their shareholders do if one of their companies went tits up in the U.S.A. Those people may want to cash in on YOUR club to keep their dividends rolling in. F*ck that

Here endeth the thread.
Foreign Investment on 11:43 - Aug 6 with 5238 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Foreign Investment on 11:37 - Aug 6 by GreekSwan

I'm with you on this one, we are fine as we are.

Bebaious! (Sorry, no Greek font on this phone, YET).

Foreign Investment on 11:46 - Aug 6 with 5220 viewsPembrokeshire_Jack

NO.

It wouls have just been interesting to see if people are greedy though. As I said I am completely happy with the way the club is run. There would always be excitement if someone did come in though, but I bet in a couple of years, Laudrup would be gone and we'd be making 'marquee' signings that would not match the club.

I think we are in a position to attract quality (as shown in Bony) without the promise of Champions league by bent foerign owners who dont give a f*ck about anything except their pockets.

I am glad to see on my first post that people agree!

How proud to see us where we are now and even though they got into the prem, to see how Cardiff is run.
Foreign Investment on 11:49 - Aug 6 with 5206 viewsWatchman

Welcome and some fantastic points raised.

The aim is for the club to be self reliant for the club to remain in the EPL there has to be further investment, either growing the stadium in size or inward investment. This of course will also depend on the scouting of good players at good pricing levels. If there was to be inward investment then there an awful lot of questions raised and to be covered off. I have no problem with anyone investing in the club but they 1 do it for the right reasons and 2 that their investment does not dilute the role of the Trust and our representation on the board.

Sugar Daddy's are fine but eventually time and lack of money ,support, catches up with a club (uncle dave and the wiggywam possee as an example) Law of averages suggests there will be a time when player recruitment finds a dud or two

I would much rather see us as a strong NPC side than a side battling to avoid the drop into the conference.

Let's grow the club as organically as we can and see where we end up first
[Post edited 6 Aug 2013 11:53]

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

Foreign Investment on 11:49 - Aug 6 with 5203 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Foreign Investment on 11:46 - Aug 6 by Pembrokeshire_Jack

It wouls have just been interesting to see if people are greedy though. As I said I am completely happy with the way the club is run. There would always be excitement if someone did come in though, but I bet in a couple of years, Laudrup would be gone and we'd be making 'marquee' signings that would not match the club.

I think we are in a position to attract quality (as shown in Bony) without the promise of Champions league by bent foerign owners who dont give a f*ck about anything except their pockets.

I am glad to see on my first post that people agree!

How proud to see us where we are now and even though they got into the prem, to see how Cardiff is run.

It would be like handing your own daughter that you cherish and love, who you've nurtured from birth to Jude Law

Foreign Investment on 11:51 - Aug 6 with 5189 viewsPembrokeshire_Jack

Foreign Investment on 11:49 - Aug 6 by Brynmill_Jack

It would be like handing your own daughter that you cherish and love, who you've nurtured from birth to Jude Law

I knew there was a perfect way to put it.
Login to get fewer ads

Foreign Investment on 12:40 - Aug 6 with 5039 viewsTheClash

NO.

Welcome and No thanks

The Future is tomorrow's today!

Foreign Investment on 12:52 - Aug 6 with 5000 viewshammy

From my perspective it's less about the investment and more about the control that an outside investor would have. It's evident that the current board know what they are doing and need to be allowed to do this while being monitored by the trust members. If an outside investor wanted to plough some money into the club to raise their profile / gain an association with the club / acquire a small non-controlling shareholding then see no issue with this as long as the investment was worthwhile and could be used to acquire / keep key staff.

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

Foreign Investment on 12:56 - Aug 6 with 4988 viewsPembrokeshire_Jack

Foreign Investment on 12:52 - Aug 6 by hammy

From my perspective it's less about the investment and more about the control that an outside investor would have. It's evident that the current board know what they are doing and need to be allowed to do this while being monitored by the trust members. If an outside investor wanted to plough some money into the club to raise their profile / gain an association with the club / acquire a small non-controlling shareholding then see no issue with this as long as the investment was worthwhile and could be used to acquire / keep key staff.

I think that may be the problem though as there arn't many investors who wouldn't want to put there stamp on things. Im being very predictable here but look at Abramovich running Chelsea or Fernandez at QPR. Great investments from idiots.
Hit and Miss!
Foreign Investment on 13:07 - Aug 6 with 4956 viewsTheFranchise

It's not needed, we are on a path of sustainable and controlled growth.

These foreign "investors" aren't investing, they are loaning money.
Foreign Investment on 13:10 - Aug 6 with 4941 viewsJackhero

We are the envy of many a club, even those up east who would hate to admit it despite them mentioning what a Big club they are, and how they think we cheated when we had the CVA blah blah blah.

Our club has the blueprint on how to be run properly and long may it continue.

Give me bucket collections for Leon's wages any day than a sugar daddy ruining our club or selling out to Malaysia!

Tubbs: Will heaven be like Swansea? Edward: Yes, Tubbs. Only... bigger.

Foreign Investment on 13:11 - Aug 6 with 4935 viewsJoe_bradshaw

I wouldn't describe Abramovic as an idiot. I wouldn't want someone like him here but in 10 years at Chelsea they've won the league 3 times, the FA cup 4 times, the league cup twice, the Champion's league and the Europa league.

If he walks away tomorrow they would be deep in the brown stuff although they couldn't have been any deeper in it when he went there but it's been a fantastic decade for Chelsea even if all those trophies have been bought for them by him.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Foreign Investment on 13:19 - Aug 6 with 4904 viewsPembrokeshire_Jack

Foreign Investment on 13:11 - Aug 6 by Joe_bradshaw

I wouldn't describe Abramovic as an idiot. I wouldn't want someone like him here but in 10 years at Chelsea they've won the league 3 times, the FA cup 4 times, the league cup twice, the Champion's league and the Europa league.

If he walks away tomorrow they would be deep in the brown stuff although they couldn't have been any deeper in it when he went there but it's been a fantastic decade for Chelsea even if all those trophies have been bought for them by him.

I take your point, completely.

But as you said, although they are a massive club, if for example he had left 2 years ago, do you think Chelsea would be in the same position? It would be interesting to see what would happen.

My point though is that as a football club owner, the fact that he treats players and staff members like top trump cards would worry me. Does make an interesting point though...

'in 10 years at Chelsea they've won the league 3 times, the FA cup 4 times, the league cup twice, the Champion's league and the Europa league.' ... This is why I wanted to see if people would take an investor like him.

Success... but totally unorganic, only my opinion though. :)
Foreign Investment on 13:26 - Aug 6 with 4872 viewsJacksy

If a "investor" came knocking at Huw's door and offered millions of pounds to the share holders to buy the club, anyone who thinks that they would turn a massive offer down needs their heads examined.
Would any of us ?
Easy to say no, but dont let your heart rule your mind.
Foreign Investment on 13:34 - Aug 6 with 4849 viewsTheFranchise

Foreign Investment on 13:26 - Aug 6 by Jacksy

If a "investor" came knocking at Huw's door and offered millions of pounds to the share holders to buy the club, anyone who thinks that they would turn a massive offer down needs their heads examined.
Would any of us ?
Easy to say no, but dont let your heart rule your mind.

I can honestly say that I believe they would say no.
Foreign Investment on 13:39 - Aug 6 with 4816 viewsJacksy

Dream on. If someone said to you - here is 5 million for the 100,000 that you spent, you honestly believe that it would be turhed down ???????
Money talks for the shareholders, as it talks for anyone.
Foreign Investment on 14:17 - Aug 6 with 4728 viewsCatullus

Foreign Investment on 13:39 - Aug 6 by Jacksy

Dream on. If someone said to you - here is 5 million for the 100,000 that you spent, you honestly believe that it would be turhed down ???????

Seeing as the board have recently been taking dividends I doubt if they would sell up for 5 million. It would take a lot more.
The only investment I woulf really like to see is if a local fan dropped a mega jackpot on euromillions.
Now if I'd won that 162 million a few months back, I'd have been straight down the Liberty offering a chunk of it. I'd pay for the ground extension and I'd sponsor the new stand for 3 years. That'd help our progress. it would also cost me in the region of 40 million, but it'd be worth it!!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Foreign Investment on 16:30 - Aug 6 with 4609 viewslonglostjack

Only if it was Catherine Zeta Jones and it was announced before the Norwich game

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Foreign Investment on 17:16 - Aug 6 with 4548 viewsDr_Winston

Foreign Investment on 13:39 - Aug 6 by Jacksy

Obviously for most of them financial security would take precedent over love for the club, as it would for most people.

Each of them would have a figure in mind. That's why it's so important for the Trust to be ready to take any opportunity to increase its shareholding.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024