Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
US Election 09:58 - Nov 6 with 7407 viewsderbyhoop

As a change from all the gloom and doom, the world's biggest economy goes to the polls today.

Any interest?
Any predictions?

It's going to be close but I believe Obama will keep his job. Audacity of Hope seems to have dwindled considerably.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one's lifetime." (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop and now on Bluesky

US Election on 16:16 - Nov 6 with 770 viewsTacticalR

So if one is Mormon, and the other a Muslim, whoever gets in I should be able to have multiple wives?

Air hostess clique

US Election on 17:38 - Nov 6 with 741 viewsfinney

Romney wins we will find out if Iran really do have nukes as will go to war with them and the woman of America if they are not a tea party right wing nut job they are in trouble.
US Election on 17:49 - Nov 6 with 729 viewsDylanP

US Election on 10:39 - Nov 6 by AlbRanger

Can't stand Obama - really hope he loses.I have a nasty feeling he will stay though.

I think the Republicans have, yet again, given themselves an uphill struggle with their choice of candidate. I think Santorum would have been far better.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I do find it hilarious how many people in this country rant on about how 'the World needs Obama to win' an 'it'll be dangerous if the Republicans get in' etc.

People need to realise that not everyone in the world shares the same opnion - particularly in America - and they're not necessarily wrong, scary or evil!!

The Americans are voting for who's best for them - not the whole planet. I'm guessing most Brits would get the hump if the Yanks started telling us how to vote!

Santorum is definitely one of those people who thinks that we still live in the 1880s. Most people have concluded that he is "bat-shit-crazy".

Its hard to imagine a scenario where Romney wins it. Romney doesn't have a lot going for him. He had to go so far right to win the nomination that he will have a very hard time reaching undecideds and moderates. He will have difficulty holding on to his base, let alone reaching out to the moderates and winning over enough of the so-called swing states. We will see but I just don't see it.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

US Election on 18:08 - Nov 6 with 719 viewsWarfieldHoop

I said on a thread about a year ago that Obama would be straight out and would go down as one of the least popular presidents. When I was in NYC in January this year that also seemed to be the general feeling of the yanks themselves. How wrong I was as we now see how close the running is over there.

I can't say that I am a particular fan of Obama but I think that he's done just enough to retain the Presidency and is a far more stable option than Romney who seems to me a typical midwestern wackjob, as the yanks would say.
US Election on 20:41 - Nov 6 with 690 viewsHollowayRanger

i have a cousin who works on the washington post in er washington lol

we chated about 3 months ago about who'll win and he said romey would get more votes BUT lose as it will be decided by just 6 key states and that ohio would be the president maker

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

US Election on 20:45 - Nov 6 with 683 viewsTGRRRSSS

Obama was always on a hiding to nothing, the way he came into power was bizaare really, it was as if him winning and being President (and being first black one) was somehow going to change the world in some way and make some kind of Utopia. When that didn't happen, he has been condemned, I don't think he's done a terrible job, just not really delivered the Utopian visiton so many bought into both in the US and abroad.
Don't think Romney is good news for anyone... unless your in the arms industry.
I hate what some of the religious and far right in AMerica are like it's way beyond abit weird.

Obama please.
US Election on 21:00 - Nov 6 with 672 viewsTacticalR

US Election on 20:45 - Nov 6 by TGRRRSSS

Obama was always on a hiding to nothing, the way he came into power was bizaare really, it was as if him winning and being President (and being first black one) was somehow going to change the world in some way and make some kind of Utopia. When that didn't happen, he has been condemned, I don't think he's done a terrible job, just not really delivered the Utopian visiton so many bought into both in the US and abroad.
Don't think Romney is good news for anyone... unless your in the arms industry.
I hate what some of the religious and far right in AMerica are like it's way beyond abit weird.

Obama please.

But wasn't Obama quite happy to be all things to all men?

It's a sign of the weakness of the American political elite (represented in both parties) that it has not been able to formulate a concrete political program.

The utter incoherence of the whole thing was summed up by Obama's slogan at the last election: 'Together We Can'. What the hell does that mean?

Air hostess clique

US Election on 21:10 - Nov 6 with 657 viewsTGRRRSSS

HealthCare seems the big thing, but lunatic right winer/religious fruitLoops from the south mainly don't want it.
Login to get fewer ads

US Election on 21:10 - Nov 6 with 657 viewsJamie

US Election on 21:00 - Nov 6 by TacticalR

But wasn't Obama quite happy to be all things to all men?

It's a sign of the weakness of the American political elite (represented in both parties) that it has not been able to formulate a concrete political program.

The utter incoherence of the whole thing was summed up by Obama's slogan at the last election: 'Together We Can'. What the hell does that mean?

'Yes we can' was exactly what it stated. We (America) can impose change and prosper.

The US electorate took it as 'Yes I can' and expected Obama alone to solve every issue.
US Election on 21:12 - Nov 6 with 654 viewsTacticalR

on 01:00 - Jan 1 by

The only advantage he had was that he was up against the even more incoherent George W. Bush.

Air hostess clique

US Election on 21:14 - Nov 6 with 650 viewsTacticalR

US Election on 21:10 - Nov 6 by Jamie

'Yes we can' was exactly what it stated. We (America) can impose change and prosper.

The US electorate took it as 'Yes I can' and expected Obama alone to solve every issue.

Let's put it this way...it left a rather wide scope of interpretation.

Air hostess clique

US Election on 21:26 - Nov 6 with 639 viewsJamie

US Election on 21:12 - Nov 6 by TacticalR

The only advantage he had was that he was up against the even more incoherent George W. Bush.

Obama was against John McCain.

As admitted by his own close aides, he's not got the charisma to sit in a room chatting for hours to potential voters and won't sit on the phone bartering with senators to get his way. In some ways that's what you want from a President, but with so much Republican representation, he can't get anything done if he won't barter.
US Election on 21:30 - Nov 6 with 634 viewsTacticalR

US Election on 21:26 - Nov 6 by Jamie

Obama was against John McCain.

As admitted by his own close aides, he's not got the charisma to sit in a room chatting for hours to potential voters and won't sit on the phone bartering with senators to get his way. In some ways that's what you want from a President, but with so much Republican representation, he can't get anything done if he won't barter.

You got me.

I suppose I meant he was up against Bush's time in office (which McCain couldn't really distance himself from either).

Air hostess clique

US Election on 21:32 - Nov 6 with 628 viewskensalriser

I think it's true that the Republicans threw this one away. In normal circumstances, had they been able to find a steady, sane, middle of the road candidate the election would have been eminently winnable.

Instead they've allowed the fundamentalist right to dominate the agenda and although they coudn't quite install the complete nutjob candiate they would have preferred, they got close enough to it to hand the advantage to Obama, who at this point does look like a relatively sober, safe pair of hands.

Reminds me a little of the Labour Party of the 80s, who weren't able to take advantage of the Conservatives' waning popularity until five years after they could and should have done.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

US Election on 21:47 - Nov 6 with 613 viewsHollowayRanger

best person to beat obama is his vice president

Hillery Clinton

now that would have been a contest!

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

US Election on 21:55 - Nov 6 with 598 viewsJamie

US Election on 21:47 - Nov 6 by HollowayRanger

best person to beat obama is his vice president

Hillery Clinton

now that would have been a contest!

Obama has already faced Clinton in 08 and beat her to the Democratic nomination.
US Election on 22:12 - Nov 6 with 581 viewsHollowayRanger

US Election on 21:55 - Nov 6 by Jamie

Obama has already faced Clinton in 08 and beat her to the Democratic nomination.

talking about today now that the obama gloss has warn off

Listen to the band play!

US Election on 22:23 - Nov 6 with 567 viewsJigsore

It's fair to say nearly everyone this country views Romney as a nutjob. For reasons already described in the thread it would be a catastrophe if he got into office.

The Americans have such a strange concept of their president. Some of them genuinely look up to him and think he's some sort of demi-god, I swear. In the UK i'm pretty sure most of us view the PM and all the shadow PMs as 'a bit of a tw@t. We don't buy all that hype and stuff about change, we just elect whoever will make the least mess of it all

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

US Election on 00:36 - Nov 7 with 524 viewsgueRRilla

Was literally just asking myself this. But figured I should cite if I was going to copy and paste.

Martin Lewis ‏@MartinSLewis
Interesting that the BBC is doing a breakdown of US voting by race. Would the same in a UK election be deemed inappropriate?
US Election on 04:04 - Nov 7 with 496 views18StoneOfHoop

CBS news is breaking down voting patterns by gender and race too.Like the way the fastest growing part of the population,the Latino/Hispanic vote is going> in 2008 they represented 9% of the total vote voting 67% Democrat,now they're 10% and 69% Democrat.Romney is utterly failing to reach them.
Happy days..the vital swing state Iowa is looking good.
Dimbleby looking a bit past it.Didn't know what Nascar is ..'truck racing?'
Jeremy Vine is enjoying mucking about with the graphics..openly contemptuous of the phrase 'favorability' instead of 'likability' of the two candidates.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

US Election on 04:21 - Nov 7 with 974 views18StoneOfHoop

Oh yes! CBS calls pivotal swing state Ohio for BO. Another Fuller's 1845 in celebration
Good old knees-up at Obama's Chicago HQ! 'Yes We Can!'

With the system of checks and balances whereby the Democratic senate and the Republican house ensure gridlock I can't see BO getting much more done in his 2nd term than in his first but like so many other Non-Americans all around the world I very much feared what Mitt Romney would have done.I.E. a disasterous pre-emptive strike on Iran in 2013
MR really showed himself up with his breathtaking contempt for the disadvantaged 47% of the population who rely on the government and benefits.
For that alone to my mind he deserved to lose.Oh and the twot dissed our Olympics before it even started.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

US Election on 04:26 - Nov 7 with 970 viewsgueRRilla

CNN calls Obama win!!
US Election on 04:34 - Nov 7 with 962 viewsBklynRanger

One of our better recent match threads

US Election on 05:21 - Nov 7 with 946 viewsKiwi76

Blanket coverage down here as well - pleased with result.
Clearly a sign of better things to come for QPR....
US Election on 06:29 - Nov 7 with 936 viewsQPR_Nippon

US Election on 04:34 - Nov 7 by BklynRanger

One of our better recent match threads

I nominate derbyhoop to start the Stoke match thread!

Thanks America. Needed some good news this week.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024