Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Celar - Nothing Again 22:01 - Oct 22 with 23985 viewsNorthantsHoop

Is he just a dud or not interested, Lloyd looked much more up for it when he came on.
Celar - Nothing Again on 09:41 - Oct 23 with 1703 viewsParkRoyalR

Celar - Nothing Again on 09:30 - Oct 23 by BklynRanger

80% sounds and looked high to me tbh, but fair enough.

I suppose it's about those two doing better with that 20% or more, which they need to. Celar could chuck a leg out at least, throw himself in the net or something shirley?

Yes, Celar needs to be more aggressive for sure,

Portsmouths right winger created 2 goals on Saturday by chasing down the ball and putting Fox under pressure,

This is a minimum expected of Celar.
Celar - Nothing Again on 09:42 - Oct 23 with 1700 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Celar - Nothing Again on 09:17 - Oct 23 by BklynRanger

There are still quite a few of Smyth's crosses it where he needs to time and weight them better. He's been getting better of late, but still no point flashing it across the box and gesturing like you just put it on a plate.

Was only watching on a dodgy stream last night but it looked like they generally were good and Celar's flat footedness really was the issue.

Agree.

I thought that his footwork was better last night.

Too often he slows the ball down, takes a few needless touches and then tries to beat the man from a standing start. This can often be followed by a block or a no-look cross as he is working at close quarters due to the 'stop and go'.

He did that at least once last night, but generally I thought he kept the pace on the ball so he beat his man easier and he had more time and space to pick out a better cross.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Celar - Nothing Again on 09:43 - Oct 23 with 1679 viewsdaveB

Celar - Nothing Again on 09:04 - Oct 23 by ParkRoyalR

Comparing Dykes to Bonne & Washington is classic LfW click bait,

Downgrading on Dykes who was a key part in keeping us up these last 2 seasons could be something we come to regret.

I haven't given up on Celar yet but Smyth smashing early crosses 10 yards ahead of anyone & Chair playing like a PlayStation Footballef running around with his head down is a Playbook we have seen too often.

I honestly believe I could coach and improve Chair & Smyth to play with their heads up to look for respectively the early & not so early pass.

Smyth didn't do that at all last night, he put in some perfect crosses for him and a good ball in for the goal

As I say it'll be the lack of service etc that will be used as an excuse for Celar as it was for previous forwards. Sad truth is he's not very good and we've spent a lot of money on him

You can't have it both ways on Smyth slating the manager for taking him off but also slating Smyth for his delivery
[Post edited 23 Oct 9:48]
Celar - Nothing Again on 09:51 - Oct 23 with 1620 viewsNed_Kennedys

Downgrading on Dykes who was a key part in keeping us up these last 2 seasons could be something we come to regret.

I haven't given up on Celar yet but Smyth smashing early crosses 10 yards ahead of anyone & Chair playing like a PlayStation Footballef running around with his head down is a Playbook we have seen too often.

I honestly believe I could coach and improve Chair & Smyth to play with their heads up to look for respectively the early & not so early pass.

In effect we have replaced Dykes with Celar.
Even those slagging off Dykes incessantly last season will have to admit it’s a massive downgrade: at least he gets stuck in, wins headers, offers good defensive support and occasionally scores!
Selling Dykes hasn’t worked for us or him.
Celar - Nothing Again on 09:54 - Oct 23 with 1595 viewsParkRoyalR

Celar - Nothing Again on 09:43 - Oct 23 by daveB

Smyth didn't do that at all last night, he put in some perfect crosses for him and a good ball in for the goal

As I say it'll be the lack of service etc that will be used as an excuse for Celar as it was for previous forwards. Sad truth is he's not very good and we've spent a lot of money on him

You can't have it both ways on Smyth slating the manager for taking him off but also slating Smyth for his delivery
[Post edited 23 Oct 9:48]

I counted 1 good cross from Smyth last night and I sit in line so should be able to see across, could be wrong and arguably there were 2,

There were none against Portsmouth,

Neither Celar, Frey or Chair atta king the back post got on any of these,

We can agree tho that Charlie Austin had excellent movement attacking balls into the box and other than versus Everton & West Brom I can rarely recall him being on the end of anything but can recall him & Gray continually kicking off about the lack of quality early delivery into the box.
Celar - Nothing Again on 09:56 - Oct 23 with 1578 viewsTheChef

Took six months for Frey to acclimatise.

Let's give Celar some time eh?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Celar - Nothing Again on 09:58 - Oct 23 with 1564 viewsGaryHaddock

Celar - Nothing Again on 09:56 - Oct 23 by TheChef

This is a great point.
Celar - Nothing Again on 10:00 - Oct 23 with 1544 viewsdaveB

Celar - Nothing Again on 09:54 - Oct 23 by ParkRoyalR

I counted 1 good cross from Smyth last night and I sit in line so should be able to see across, could be wrong and arguably there were 2,

There were none against Portsmouth,

Neither Celar, Frey or Chair atta king the back post got on any of these,

We can agree tho that Charlie Austin had excellent movement attacking balls into the box and other than versus Everton & West Brom I can rarely recall him being on the end of anything but can recall him & Gray continually kicking off about the lack of quality early delivery into the box.

So Smyth was rubbish but Marti is an idiot for taking him off?
I'm so confused

Lets save ourselves time, everything you said about Dykes for the last 2 years about it being all due to Chair and others and the service as to why he doesn't score change the name to Celar now and repeat

The quality of service can of course be a lot better but as a club we consistently buy forwards who need someone to present them with the perfect opportunity to even have a shot on goal, it's unworkable
Login to get fewer ads

Celar - Nothing Again on 10:25 - Oct 23 with 1413 viewsParkRoyalR

Celar - Nothing Again on 10:00 - Oct 23 by daveB

So Smyth was rubbish but Marti is an idiot for taking him off?
I'm so confused

Lets save ourselves time, everything you said about Dykes for the last 2 years about it being all due to Chair and others and the service as to why he doesn't score change the name to Celar now and repeat

The quality of service can of course be a lot better but as a club we consistently buy forwards who need someone to present them with the perfect opportunity to even have a shot on goal, it's unworkable

If you're confused, happy to help,

Title of the post is a clue in that Smyth finally gets it right in cutting the ball back to the supporting attackers and Marti substitutes him,

Subsequently clarified by other posters that Smyth was limping so now makes sense,

Ignoring Dykes (although even his harshest critics would welcome him back this season) Austin got no service but Hughill was wasting early balls into the box for fun,

So what's the difference?

For me, one played with head down players (Chair, Smyth) and one played with head up players (Eze, Wzolek).
Celar - Nothing Again on 10:28 - Oct 23 with 1404 viewsSharpediver

Agree, Dykes was a million times better than Celar or Washington/Bonne.

Lloyd imposed his pace and physicality on the Cov defence immediately and forced them in to having to clear their lines more quickly, which then lead to us getting more of a foothold in the game. I thought the positive introduction of him and Morgan last night was a real morale boost at least and gives us a sliver of hope for the future. Walking out the ground I was happier than my Cov supporting mate so that cheered me up even more! Maybe we're not as bad as we think, or possibly just a bit more realistic in terms of expectations?
[Post edited 23 Oct 10:32]
Celar - Nothing Again on 10:41 - Oct 23 with 1363 viewsHayesender

Celar - Nothing Again on 09:56 - Oct 23 by TheChef

We'll be relegated by then

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Celar - Nothing Again on 10:45 - Oct 23 with 1328 viewsdaveB

Celar - Nothing Again on 10:25 - Oct 23 by ParkRoyalR

If you're confused, happy to help,

Title of the post is a clue in that Smyth finally gets it right in cutting the ball back to the supporting attackers and Marti substitutes him,

Subsequently clarified by other posters that Smyth was limping so now makes sense,

Ignoring Dykes (although even his harshest critics would welcome him back this season) Austin got no service but Hughill was wasting early balls into the box for fun,

So what's the difference?

For me, one played with head down players (Chair, Smyth) and one played with head up players (Eze, Wzolek).

Good old Dykes, sure he's scoring for fun now he hasn't got Chair holding him back

As a forward you are allowed to make runs away from a defender, try and throw your body at crosses in your direction rather than stand still and shrug. Celar was awful last night, a real opportunity for him and he might as well have not bothered and looked exactly like every forward we spend money on, absolutely hopeless
Celar - Nothing Again on 10:46 - Oct 23 with 1316 viewsParkRoyalR

Celar - Nothing Again on 10:28 - Oct 23 by Sharpediver

Agree, Dykes was a million times better than Celar or Washington/Bonne.

Lloyd imposed his pace and physicality on the Cov defence immediately and forced them in to having to clear their lines more quickly, which then lead to us getting more of a foothold in the game. I thought the positive introduction of him and Morgan last night was a real morale boost at least and gives us a sliver of hope for the future. Walking out the ground I was happier than my Cov supporting mate so that cheered me up even more! Maybe we're not as bad as we think, or possibly just a bit more realistic in terms of expectations?
[Post edited 23 Oct 10:32]

I think Celar can be a better Centre Forward than Dykes but not in the Championship if that makes sense and not with our supporting cast of 10s

If Celar doesn't acclimatise quickly and we're solely reliant on Frey I'm worried.

Lloyd like Armstrong doesn't look suited to the Lone Striker role.
Celar - Nothing Again on 10:50 - Oct 23 with 1299 viewsdaveB

Celar - Nothing Again on 10:46 - Oct 23 by ParkRoyalR

I think Celar can be a better Centre Forward than Dykes but not in the Championship if that makes sense and not with our supporting cast of 10s

If Celar doesn't acclimatise quickly and we're solely reliant on Frey I'm worried.

Lloyd like Armstrong doesn't look suited to the Lone Striker role.

which begs the question if you know you have these number 10s in the squad and you sign most of them this summer, why on earth have we signed Celar who now apparently can't play with them, why not sign someone suited to play with the players we have. Another complete waste of money
Celar - Nothing Again on 10:54 - Oct 23 with 1264 viewsrobith

Two things for me:

Not to say Celar played well, but Lloyd's comparative positional discipline was dreadful. Sure made us feel good while he charged around but he left big gaps for Cov to ply through the centre with.

I am simply not having the hyperbole that a man who has started TWO league games for us is worse than Washington. Fking calm it down, abeg
Celar - Nothing Again on 11:08 - Oct 23 with 1209 viewsTheChef

Celar - Nothing Again on 10:41 - Oct 23 by Hayesender

We'll be relegated by then

That's the spirit

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Celar - Nothing Again on 11:09 - Oct 23 with 1200 viewsParkRoyalR

Celar - Nothing Again on 10:45 - Oct 23 by daveB

Good old Dykes, sure he's scoring for fun now he hasn't got Chair holding him back

As a forward you are allowed to make runs away from a defender, try and throw your body at crosses in your direction rather than stand still and shrug. Celar was awful last night, a real opportunity for him and he might as well have not bothered and looked exactly like every forward we spend money on, absolutely hopeless

So why was Austin so poor 2nd time round (if we ignore his lack of professionalism)?

Austin like all who have played the Lone Striker role since Eze etc left do not get quality service into the box.

And we cannot afford a Striker who can make his own chances.

Ground Hog Day, which is why when we started this season with a poorer lone striker than last season, I was very nervous.
Celar - Nothing Again on 11:10 - Oct 23 with 1197 viewsdaveB

Celar - Nothing Again on 10:54 - Oct 23 by robith

Two things for me:

Not to say Celar played well, but Lloyd's comparative positional discipline was dreadful. Sure made us feel good while he charged around but he left big gaps for Cov to ply through the centre with.

I am simply not having the hyperbole that a man who has started TWO league games for us is worse than Washington. Fking calm it down, abeg

I never said he was worse than Washington but he's the same type of striker who seems to be 5 yards away from where he needs to be at all times. I hope he comes good but from what little I've seen of him so far he feels like another Bonne/Dykes/Washington type of forward who we'll spend most of the season making excuses for. It's not his fault but I've run out of patience with these kind of signings
Celar - Nothing Again on 11:22 - Oct 23 with 1131 viewsrobith

Celar - Nothing Again on 11:10 - Oct 23 by daveB

I never said he was worse than Washington but he's the same type of striker who seems to be 5 yards away from where he needs to be at all times. I hope he comes good but from what little I've seen of him so far he feels like another Bonne/Dykes/Washington type of forward who we'll spend most of the season making excuses for. It's not his fault but I've run out of patience with these kind of signings

Sorry Dave, I didn't mean to seem like I was singling you out, it's more a general vibe, at the ground shout "he's worse than Washington". Guy behind me is saying it non stop and I'm finding it quite grating. Maybe he will be, but we have to find out first and tbh he already looks better than Washington who was always miles away from play
[Post edited 23 Oct 11:22]
Celar - Nothing Again on 11:26 - Oct 23 with 1094 viewsParkRoyalR

Celar - Nothing Again on 11:10 - Oct 23 by daveB

That may prove to be the case...

But I would argue Dominic Iorfa on a Motorbike would still be 5 yards behind most of Smyths crosses and I like Smyth,

Hopefully our Attacking Coach (Marti apparently) changes Smyth first name on Traininv to Cutback and we see more Assists like last night.
Celar - Nothing Again on 11:29 - Oct 23 with 1073 viewshubble

Celar is an absolute ghost of a player. The ball seems to pass through him or by him. He looks and plays like an automaton; the lights occasionally flicker, but there's no one home. The strangest player I think I've ever seen wear the Hoops, and possibly the worst striker, to boot. And that's saying something.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Celar - Nothing Again on 11:42 - Oct 23 with 1004 viewsBklynRanger

You'd hope that Celar doesn't need exactly the right cross in order to create at least a half chance, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Yes, Smyth needs to improve his balls in, and there are signs, but, without going on about it, you'd want to see Celar making more out of mediocre passes, anywhere on the pitch.

There was a ball played into him last night with about 10 mins to go, at a point when Coventry had a lot of possession and we needed the pressure taken off. Somebody, can't remember who, fizzed it at him a bit, fair enough, but it came about 10 yards back off him and straight back to Cov for another worrying bit of possession. Again you'd hope he'd have been able to do something, anything with that.

I do still agree it's early days, and he will still be getting used to this league. Slower than we'd like or hope of course. So I'm not writing him off but it looks like something needs to click with him, and hopefully that something is in there. The fear that it might not be is probably what's causing a lot of these comparisons.
Celar - Nothing Again on 11:51 - Oct 23 with 977 viewsTK1

I thought it was a cowardly performance by him. I've never seen a CF look so often to attach himself to defenders, not to hold them off, but to sort of shadow them whenever we had the ball. His closing down was so half hearted, as well. I mean, twelve touches! Very odd and uncommitted. Can't even think of a comparison in a former player.

I can see merit in all the signings. There are moments with each which are encouraging, Madsen and Santos included. I see absolutely nothing so far in Celar. I'd love to know what his teammates think.

It was absolute madness to go into this season with two senior strikers. It's just not competitive. To have lost both Dykes and Armstrong and replaced them with just Celar, who I read here now we must give six months to acclimatise...total dereliction. We will need strikers in January somehow or it will be how we're relegated. We create too much to only contribute twelve touches.
Celar - Nothing Again on 11:51 - Oct 23 with 958 viewsconnell10

One thing the Loftus Road faithful won't tolerate is lack fight and I'm afraid Celar had that in spades last night. He needs to show some heart at least.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Celar - Nothing Again on 11:58 - Oct 23 with 890 viewslassel

Celar - Nothing Again on 23:54 - Oct 22 by Hunterhoop

He offered absolutely nothing tonight. Not one ball up to him stuck. Frey is miles better. Most stuck with him on Saturday and he’s a physical bastard. Celar looks like he wants to avoid physical contact. Even his charging down of the keeper looked like he wanted to get out of the way of the ball.

He has no strength. He’s not quick. His touch isn’t much good. And he has Dykes/Washington levels of anticipation in the box. He had to get on the end of that second Smyth ball across the face.

I’m sure he’s low on confidence, and I know it’s a new league and takes time to settle. But he is not showing anything currently: ability or desire. From what we have seen to date, I think Kelman might be better than him. I don’t think his level is any higher.

It feels a bit pointless trying to compare Celar and Frey as they’re completely different players, it’s like comparing Pickford with Ederson.

Celar is not and never will be a lone back to goal striker, it’s simply not his game and Cifuentes has been pretty clearly favouring him in a two but with Frey unavailable last night needs must.

Take a look on YouTube at the goals he scored in the last couple of seasons and you will see a pretty clear pattern of wanting early balls from deep to run onto between the centre backs and pull backs/crosses to the penalty spot. Celar’s entire game is basically getting to the penalty spot ASAP, not holding up the ball, not throwing himself at balls across the 6 yard box.

The first type is a run he has made several times here, including last night, and not been found as it’s clearly a different wavelength to everyone else. If we want to play backs to goal, hold it up and bring others into the game then 100% it has to be Frey starting and if that’s the long term strategy the I imagine Celar will want to get out asap as it’s a horrible fit for both parties.

If there is an intention to transition to a quicker and more fluid Saito-Celar-Dembele frontline then there is a lot of potential imo for it to work but the club needs to make a decision pretty damn fast about what they want to be and how they want to play.

There should be serious questions asked also about how we have gotten to the stage of having only 2 strikers who are polar opposites of each other - of course the answer would likely be that Frey was a cheap and available panic option last January and Celar aligns with the future vision but it’s a bonkers situation where we have no like for like replacement for either.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024