Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Austin return? 12:46 - Oct 21 with 5038 viewsGaryBannister86

I may have misread Charlie's latest tweet but his hashtags perhaps imply that he is "incoming" as "striker coach". Or maybe he is off to be a striker coach at Totton or something.

As a major fan of Austin Mark 1, the fan in me likes this and has visions of Celar sniffing out some goals.

On the other hand, it does seem like the sort of decision I would try and do in football manager.

Most importantly, his tweet says to get behind Marti. Couldn't agree more.
Austin return? on 09:50 - Oct 22 with 1136 viewsGaryHaddock

Austin return? on 08:48 - Oct 22 by mart_Goblin

So ok, I’ll ask the question as I’m not afraid to be mocked and ridiculed 😄 . I don’t do social media particularly and I often miss things, so what’s with the all the vitriol towards Charlie Austin?

He wasn’t great after he signed permanently a second time but there’s been worse hasn’t there ?

Apologies in advance if I’ve missed a glaring faux pas

Fitness during his second spell and his attitude on the Undr The Cosh interview for me.

Wouldn't call it vitriol though, because he gave me some of my best years as a QPR fan so it has to be weighed up against that.
Austin return? on 10:10 - Oct 22 with 1066 viewskernowhoop

I loved him as a QPR player - was it 18 PL goals in a team that got relegated?
But, a 'striker coach'?
Sorry, but I have a job to understand quite what that entails. At Wembley, years ago, I met Les Ferdinand who told me that he was coaching the strikers at Tottenham. I should have asked how he did it.
It seems to me that there is something that we might call a 'striker's instinct' but that can hardly be taught.
One thing that definitely can be coached is the way that ammunition is provided to the strikers. Could we start there?
Austin return? on 10:11 - Oct 22 with 1054 viewsTheChef

Austin return? on 10:10 - Oct 22 by kernowhoop

But, a 'striker coach'?
Sorry, but I have a job to understand quite what that entails. At Wembley, years ago, I met Les Ferdinand who told me that he was coaching the strikers at Tottenham. I should have asked how he did it.
It seems to me that there is something that we might call a 'striker's instinct' but that can hardly be taught.
One thing that definitely can be coached is the way that ammunition is provided to the strikers. Could we start there?

I think it's a fairly straightforward role.

"This is goal."

"You put ball in goal."

That'll be one million pounds please.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Austin return? on 10:20 - Oct 22 with 1029 viewskernowhoop

Austin return? on 10:11 - Oct 22 by TheChef

I think it's a fairly straightforward role.

"This is goal."

"You put ball in goal."

That'll be one million pounds please.

Aaah. Where should I apply for a job like that?
Austin return? on 11:01 - Oct 22 with 916 viewsrbee

But, a 'striker coach'?

This was always my argument with the Sinclair Armstrong fans, you cannot coach what isn't there.

An hour or two a week with the likes of Les or Charlie to talk about movement, anticipation, running channels, one on one's whilst passing on a few tips of the strikers trade. Most strikers training should be hitting balls in to the corner of the net and not at the keeper.
Austin return? on 11:24 - Oct 22 with 837 viewsRangersDave

Austin return? on 23:56 - Oct 21 by kensalriser

We don't talk about stones or rocks any more.

Did someone say stones?

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Austin return? on 11:44 - Oct 22 with 778 viewsSonic_Hoop

Of course you can coach strikers. I'm not sure I even subscribe to the theory that finishing is about instict either, more likely hours of shooting practice until it becomes a kind of muscle memory.

I know a lot of coaches are against shooting practice at the end of training sessions because of the fear of tweaking a hamstring. Roy Hodgson banned it for the England squad.
Austin return? on 11:52 - Oct 22 with 735 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Austin return? on 11:44 - Oct 22 by Sonic_Hoop

Of course you can coach strikers. I'm not sure I even subscribe to the theory that finishing is about instict either, more likely hours of shooting practice until it becomes a kind of muscle memory.

I know a lot of coaches are against shooting practice at the end of training sessions because of the fear of tweaking a hamstring. Roy Hodgson banned it for the England squad.

"Of course you can coach strikers. I'm not sure I even subscribe to the theory that finishing is about instict either, more likely hours of shooting practice until it becomes a kind of muscle memory."

Yep.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Austin return? on 12:04 - Oct 22 with 666 viewsdaveB

But, a 'striker coach'?

Surely you can coach any position, timing of runs, holding the ball up, link up play and finishing
Austin return? on 12:12 - Oct 22 with 621 viewsrbee

Strikers instinct for me is less about kicking a ball in to the net it's about being in the right place at the right time. Add in things like being ready for a rebound off the keeper, losing your marker, making runs to create space for others.

I remember sitting in the SAR watching United with Rooney playing a masterclass of the above.

Didn't Charlie simply tell Dykes to play further up the pitch and the goals came? Without Charlie Dykes reverted to type.

No dave, not in my opinion, instinct and ability are two different things with Charlie Kelman being a good example of that.
[Post edited 22 Oct 12:18]
Austin return? on 12:19 - Oct 22 with 584 viewsted_hendrix

Movement In the box Is key for a striker and Charlie was excellent at that, as he was at defending our box at Opposition corners.
We were at home to Man City and I was watching Agüero when ever they came forward, he was viciously good and fast at moving In our box, take your eye of him for one second and he was gone.
Movement of the ball Is a required and necessary skill for strikers.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Austin return? on 12:23 - Oct 22 with 573 viewsizlingtonhoop

It's that almost imperceptible step back he would lose the defender with, as the ball came across. Teach em that...
[Post edited 22 Oct 12:26]
Austin return? on 12:26 - Oct 22 with 564 viewsizlingtonhoop

Austin return? on 16:59 - Oct 21 by ted_hendrix

Yea, lets stone him.

Making it worse?! How could it be worse?! Jehovah! Jehovah! Jehovah!
Austin return? on 18:02 - Oct 22 with 319 viewspaulparker

Austin return? on 16:26 - Oct 21 by Loyalitat

Hear, hear to this. Bad attitude aplenty from him the last time around.

Of all the chancers we have had at this club and your calling Austin’s attitude into question
Give your head a shake

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024