Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Greece 20:17 - Oct 10 with 9646 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Watching this. Bizarrely Carsley seems to have done a Marti, trying to get as many attacking players on the pitch at anyone time.
Massive holes in midfield, Greeks hitting on the counter. Looks eerily familiar.
England v Greece on 21:58 - Oct 10 with 2101 viewsted_hendrix

England v Greece on 21:43 - Oct 10 by Ned_Kennedys

Matterface and Dixon: horrendous combination.

They are as bad as watching England players back heeling passes to Greek players every ten minutes.

They really are a pair of uninteresting gonks, the football Is bad enough without listening to those two fckwits.

Oh for the days of Barry Davies.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

England v Greece on 21:59 - Oct 10 with 2094 viewsnumptydumpty

The first game that ten games down the line, Southgate suddenly becomes the messiah !!!

A good game tonight for Grealish, Eze, Kane, Walker, Guehi, Shaw and Maguire.

And the game that will mean Carsley will only have a brief reign !!!
[Post edited 10 Oct 22:00]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

England v Greece on 22:00 - Oct 10 with 2081 viewsNed_Kennedys

England v Greece on 21:50 - Oct 10 by HAYESBOY

This. Not having a striker on the pitch is criminal. Its playing to the crowd to have Palmer, Saka and Foden in the same team.
The inverted full backs as well left wide open spaces on our flanks.

Shockingly bad performance.

Thought Foden and Bellingham were useless.
Lewis is only in the team because he plays for Man City.
The lack of effort and tackling for both their goals was embarrassing.
England v Greece on 22:00 - Oct 10 with 2064 viewsbosh67

A lot of it was like watching Rangers at the moment. Lots of passing and then getting smacked.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

England v Greece on 22:21 - Oct 10 with 1905 viewsSteveB

England v Greece on 22:00 - Oct 10 by bosh67

A lot of it was like watching Rangers at the moment. Lots of passing and then getting smacked.

Never ever pick Chelshit or Liverpool players for England. Ever.
England v Greece on 23:36 - Oct 10 with 1709 viewsconnell10

England v Greece on 21:50 - Oct 10 by HAYESBOY

This. Not having a striker on the pitch is criminal. Its playing to the crowd to have Palmer, Saka and Foden in the same team.
The inverted full backs as well left wide open spaces on our flanks.

Shockingly bad performance.

What the f uck is a inverted fullback??? Is like a False 10 played in the Christmas tree formation with a XG of 6.5 ???? F ucking hell , football is a simple game or it used to be ! Just get the bloody ball in the opposition net and don't concede !! Inverted bloody fullbacks my arse!!!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

England v Greece on 00:00 - Oct 11 with 1652 viewsSydneyRs

Well the Southgate haters wanted "the handbrake off" and this appears to have been an attempt to do that.
England v Greece on 05:00 - Oct 11 with 1493 viewsnumptydumpty

England v Greece on 00:00 - Oct 11 by SydneyRs

Well the Southgate haters wanted "the handbrake off" and this appears to have been an attempt to do that.

Agree. Zero organisation, something Southgate was excellent at.

Eight attacking outfield players. They all got in each others way.

And the defensive line, there wasn't one.

All over the place at the back.

Completely outplayed and deserved victory for Greece.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Login to get fewer ads

England v Greece on 07:12 - Oct 11 with 1382 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Worst job interview since Spud in Trainspotting.
England v Greece on 07:53 - Oct 11 with 1327 viewsNorthernr

England v Greece on 22:00 - Oct 10 by bosh67

I thought exactly the same.

Where can I go to actually watch some exciting football atm? I'm bored rigid.
England v Greece on 07:55 - Oct 11 with 1322 viewsMick_S

England v Greece on 23:36 - Oct 10 by connell10

What the f uck is a inverted fullback??? Is like a False 10 played in the Christmas tree formation with a XG of 6.5 ???? F ucking hell , football is a simple game or it used to be ! Just get the bloody ball in the opposition net and don't concede !! Inverted bloody fullbacks my arse!!!!

It’s absolute 8ollocks, connell; I’m with you 100 percent. I admit I don’t get it, so can’t see it (if it exists) but I knew more about football when I was 15 years old than I do now.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

England v Greece on 08:01 - Oct 11 with 1315 viewsNorthernr

The couple of things that occur to me about this 'inverted full backs' trend is...

1 - everyone's doing it now, so where's the advantage? This happens all the time in football, everybody copies the trend of the moment. Remember when Sheff Utd played with a back three and overlapping centre backs? They looked fcking incredible, went up two divisions and took the Prem by storm. Then everybody got wise or did the same thing and they went back to being sht again.

2 - what don't you want to face in your opposition? Pace and width, for me, always. Who's ever wanted to be stretched across the pitch by an opponent with pace in wide areas? This has the opposite effect, it crowds the middle of the pitch. I want my full back overlapping and sticking a few crosses in. I want Bardsley, or Kyle Walker in that Warnock system.
England v Greece on 08:07 - Oct 11 with 1287 viewsQPunkR

England v Greece on 08:01 - Oct 11 by Northernr

The couple of things that occur to me about this 'inverted full backs' trend is...

1 - everyone's doing it now, so where's the advantage? This happens all the time in football, everybody copies the trend of the moment. Remember when Sheff Utd played with a back three and overlapping centre backs? They looked fcking incredible, went up two divisions and took the Prem by storm. Then everybody got wise or did the same thing and they went back to being sht again.

2 - what don't you want to face in your opposition? Pace and width, for me, always. Who's ever wanted to be stretched across the pitch by an opponent with pace in wide areas? This has the opposite effect, it crowds the middle of the pitch. I want my full back overlapping and sticking a few crosses in. I want Bardsley, or Kyle Walker in that Warnock system.

Tbf with last night specifically though, if you’re strangely playing with no recognised striker then there’s not much point getting the ball wide early to cross into the box

QPR - "shit but local"

England v Greece on 08:12 - Oct 11 with 1277 viewsNed_Kennedys

England v Greece on 00:00 - Oct 11 by SydneyRs

Last night wasn’t ‘handbrake off’ was it when there was no centre forward picked and the team selection and tactics looked like they were set up by a 5 year old. Laughable that some are getting all misty eyed for Southgate.
England v Greece on 08:15 - Oct 11 with 1260 viewsNorthernr

England v Greece on 08:07 - Oct 11 by QPunkR

Tbf with last night specifically though, if you’re strangely playing with no recognised striker then there’s not much point getting the ball wide early to cross into the box

No absolutely not. But then that team selection last night was like Garth Crooks' Team of the Week became real.
England v Greece on 08:18 - Oct 11 with 1249 viewsstowmarketrange

England v Greece on 21:58 - Oct 10 by ted_hendrix

They are as bad as watching England players back heeling passes to Greek players every ten minutes.

They really are a pair of uninteresting gonks, the football Is bad enough without listening to those two fckwits.

Oh for the days of Barry Davies.

Oh I say.
England v Greece on 08:38 - Oct 11 with 1220 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I listened to the first half of the ROI game; the commentators were drooling. Its his third game in a meaningless game and frankly, if he can't experiment in such circumstances, then when can he?

I suspect he and we have learned a lot from last night. And while gung-ho at the top level is always easy to pick off, its about: the balance; playing to your strenghts; and the ability to adapt when it's not working.

GS did well. However, you felt he was both too cautious and lacking in the adaptability department. LC, third game FFS, experimented, got it wrong. So, let's see what he's learned before we get all sacky.

His and whoever is manager's problems are: bundles of attacking options which need to be harnessed within the confines of international football; we don't have a Pirlo or a left-back; and ridiculous expectation.

Not playing Watkins from the off however, baffling.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

England v Greece on 08:46 - Oct 11 with 1192 viewslassel

Tbh even at City I’ve never seen exactly what it is Lewis offers - he can’t defend, he’s soft as shit and his greatest strength is that he can calmly play a quick triangular pattern to get out of danger. It’s a bit depressing that with him and TAA you have two players with essentially no position while someone like Livramento who can go both ways sits on the bench.

Also as taboo as it seems to be, there needs to be a conversation held around Bellingham. His own club manager has just come out and stated quite bluntly that he’s not as good as he thinks he is and will need to play deeper to make an impact in Madrids team - why does it seem to be accepted that England must allow him to play wherever he fancies offering nothing game by game.
England v Greece on 08:49 - Oct 11 with 1189 viewsE15Hoop

England v Greece on 21:43 - Oct 10 by Ned_Kennedys

Matterface and Dixon: horrendous combination.

I like Lee Dixon a lot - particularly because you can tell from the tone of his voice and some of his barbed comments how much of a clueless bell end he thinks Matterface is.
England v Greece on 08:49 - Oct 11 with 1188 viewsNorthernr

England v Greece on 08:46 - Oct 11 by lassel

Tbh even at City I’ve never seen exactly what it is Lewis offers - he can’t defend, he’s soft as shit and his greatest strength is that he can calmly play a quick triangular pattern to get out of danger. It’s a bit depressing that with him and TAA you have two players with essentially no position while someone like Livramento who can go both ways sits on the bench.

Also as taboo as it seems to be, there needs to be a conversation held around Bellingham. His own club manager has just come out and stated quite bluntly that he’s not as good as he thinks he is and will need to play deeper to make an impact in Madrids team - why does it seem to be accepted that England must allow him to play wherever he fancies offering nothing game by game.

Cos we love a Messiah.
England v Greece on 09:32 - Oct 11 with 1116 viewsBristolR

England v Greece on 08:46 - Oct 11 by lassel

Agree re both esp. Bellingham who is really getting on my wick…proper Jesus complex. I think he’s the main problem in selection terms as he t skews everyone else.

As Clive says we love a Messiah
England v Greece on 09:56 - Oct 11 with 1047 viewsdaveB

England v Greece on 08:12 - Oct 11 by Ned_Kennedys

Last night wasn’t ‘handbrake off’ was it when there was no centre forward picked and the team selection and tactics looked like they were set up by a 5 year old. Laughable that some are getting all misty eyed for Southgate.

yeah it wasn't really handbrake off we were really slow moving the ball and everyone seemed in each others way, was really odd

Bellingham as a false 9 could work but you need to play Gomes or similar alongside Rice instead of one of the number 10s. Foden was again so poor in an England shirt, no lack of effort just never seems the same player
England v Greece on 10:27 - Oct 11 with 982 viewsqprninja

You just calm down. We'll have our midfielders passing sideways or backwards thank you very much.
England v Greece on 10:28 - Oct 11 with 978 viewsNorthernr

England v Greece on 10:27 - Oct 11 by qprninja

You just calm down. We'll have our midfielders passing sideways or backwards thank you very much.

It's not just us! I sit and watch a lot of football and it's often so slow and boring atm.
England v Greece on 10:41 - Oct 11 with 911 viewsBrianMcCarthy

England v Greece on 10:28 - Oct 11 by Northernr

It's not just us! I sit and watch a lot of football and it's often so slow and boring atm.

And it's hard to know how we got here.

Ajax and Barca didn't play slow or sideways if they could help it. Short passes, yes, but move it forward quickly and everybody move up in support. Lose it, but win it back quickly. Press, tackle, press, tackle.

Possession football started to go wrong with the Spanish national team. When Torrres and Villa aged/waned they had no great striker left and a ton of great midfielders. So they played them all and kept the ball at all costs, happy to win 1-0.

Too many teams have copied that iteration of possession football.

I would love to see us go back to the basics of possession football.

Show for the ball (at least three options for the passer).
Pass to the man in space.
Turn with the ball, and move the ball (forwards if possible, if not, pass to the team-mate who can pass it forward).
Everybody move up together.
If we lose the ball, we win it back quickly.
Never, EVER, drop deep as Plan A.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024