Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What are we trying to do? 16:51 - Oct 6 with 5113 viewsRsinWales

I would have to confess to having only a rudimentary knowledge of tactics, so without any impied sarcasm, I wanted to ask, 'What is it that we are trying to set up to do?"

I know we have some very informed people on the board, so I would be very interested to hear what our intentions are.

From my uninformed position, I am struggling to see our approach and identity.

What I see is a scarily empty midfield, exposed defenders, and a lack of edge up front. There were periods in the Hull game that I saw something good shining through. Quick transitions, attacking intent, and the ability to apply real pressure. But beyond that, I just cannot see what the grand plan is.

Genuinely interested in what people have to say!
What are we trying to do? on 17:03 - Oct 6 with 3908 viewsDamo1962

Me too. My eyes roll in my head when football tactics are discussed šŸ˜‰
What are we trying to do? on 17:05 - Oct 6 with 3906 viewsthehat

Itā€™s a mess too many players who think they can play the piano but they canā€™t and continually play out of tune and no players to carry the piano onto the stage.

Copyright Ian Holloway.
[Post edited 6 Oct 17:08]
What are we trying to do? on 17:05 - Oct 6 with 3904 viewsManinBlack

Piss us off...and they are succeeding!
What are we trying to do? on 17:10 - Oct 6 with 3866 viewsted_hendrix

I sometimes wonder If our coaching people are over-complicating things?

Seems daft to ask but we've lost our way. (stating the bleeding obvious).

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

What are we trying to do? on 17:19 - Oct 6 with 3828 viewsjohann28

I remember Mike Channon in an interview, in response to a question about poor performance/results regarding an expensively-assembled Man City team under Malcolm Allison in the70s, saying, 'He's asking them to do things they just don't know how to do.'
What are we trying to do? on 17:21 - Oct 6 with 3812 viewskernowhoop

Good questions RsinWales.
I do not pretend to have any answers but I do know that it Is those 'scary' holes in midfield that bother me most and tightening up the team, to make us harder to score against will be the priority. I comfort myself with the knowledge that, whatever we think, Marti and his colleagues will have seen what the problems are and will know - better than we do - how to solve them.
What are we trying to do? on 17:23 - Oct 6 with 3797 viewsDamo1962

What are we trying to do? on 17:05 - Oct 6 by thehat

Itā€™s a mess too many players who think they can play the piano but they canā€™t and continually play out of tune and no players to carry the piano onto the stage.

Copyright Ian Holloway.

Always liked that Olly nugget šŸ˜
What are we trying to do? on 17:25 - Oct 6 with 3747 viewsnumptydumpty

Think we are attempting to recruit players that fit a model of potential improvement and play with a fast paced possession control and with not a little skill and all players have been bought to be sold for a profit down the line.

Think the problem is , there' has been zero balance to our purchases. None have championship experience and this has shown some to be a little lightweight and easy to be rolled over.

When you let a 26 year old Corporate bod pick your incoming players because they worked on Football Manager when they played it in their bedroom at home only a few years ago. Ie Christian only just left the family home !!

Slight sarcasm by me and no inside knowledge of the scenarios but this is my best guess. It makes sense to me this is what seems to be happening and can see why it's not working.

It's a let down currently because the end of last season was fantastic for ourselves - much improved fron days gone by !!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Login to get fewer ads

What are we trying to do? on 17:28 - Oct 6 with 3738 viewsDamo1962

We aren't allowed nice things. The football Gods decided long ago.
What are we trying to do? on 17:36 - Oct 6 with 3623 viewsstainrods_elbow

What are we trying to do? on 17:05 - Oct 6 by thehat

Copyright Ian Holloway.

I'm reminded of Laurel and Hardy and their piano-moving fiascos . . .

Either way, we look like we're in another fine mess. :-(
[Post edited 6 Oct 17:42]

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

What are we trying to do? on 17:43 - Oct 6 with 3615 viewsDamo1962

What are we trying to do? on 17:36 - Oct 6 by stainrods_elbow

I'm reminded of Laurel and Hardy and their piano-moving fiascos . . .

Either way, we look like we're in another fine mess. :-(
[Post edited 6 Oct 17:42]

Absolute comedy gold alright šŸ˜‚
What are we trying to do? on 17:55 - Oct 6 with 3558 viewscolinallcars

I remember Alec Stock said to me ā€œson, (he always called me son) do the simple things wellā€
What are we trying to do? on 18:00 - Oct 6 with 3542 viewsGaryHaddock

What are we trying to do? on 17:28 - Oct 6 by Damo1962

We aren't allowed nice things. The football Gods decided long ago.

Massimo?
What are we trying to do? on 19:29 - Oct 6 with 3338 viewsbosh67

It's kind of like last season we abandoned a real style of football to get the job done and the players responded because it was solid, slightly unspectacular and everyone knew they had to put everything on the line all the time. This season Marti has clearly said to them that we now play a style of football, move quickly, pass quickly, press and attack from wide areas... and the players are like... What? I think perhaps Marti will be thinking with Xavi that perhaps solid and unspectacular maybe what we need to concentrate on being until we hit 55 points again. If we do that with X games to spare, then you try a few more lavish ways to play. I really want Marti to succeed this season and the disheartening thing is fans starting to rubbish him. He's not stupid. I think we may see solid and unspectacular return pretty soon.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

What are we trying to do? on 19:34 - Oct 6 with 3326 viewsdaveB

What are we trying to do? on 19:29 - Oct 6 by bosh67

It's kind of like last season we abandoned a real style of football to get the job done and the players responded because it was solid, slightly unspectacular and everyone knew they had to put everything on the line all the time. This season Marti has clearly said to them that we now play a style of football, move quickly, pass quickly, press and attack from wide areas... and the players are like... What? I think perhaps Marti will be thinking with Xavi that perhaps solid and unspectacular maybe what we need to concentrate on being until we hit 55 points again. If we do that with X games to spare, then you try a few more lavish ways to play. I really want Marti to succeed this season and the disheartening thing is fans starting to rubbish him. He's not stupid. I think we may see solid and unspectacular return pretty soon.

I don't think he will change it for a while, this is how he wants his teams to play and we'll have to get better at it. His interview after the game yesterday he talks about keeping the ball better which is what they'll be working on.
What are we trying to do? on 19:38 - Oct 6 with 3311 viewskernowhoop

What are we trying to do? on 19:34 - Oct 6 by daveB

I don't think he will change it for a while, this is how he wants his teams to play and we'll have to get better at it. His interview after the game yesterday he talks about keeping the ball better which is what they'll be working on.

We don't want to keep the ball indefinitely, though. We want the opposition to have it from time to time - recovering it from their net
What are we trying to do? on 19:45 - Oct 6 with 3271 viewsRangersw12

Well we're certainly not trying to win any duels , tackles and interceptions

What are we trying to do? on 20:02 - Oct 6 with 3158 viewsBakes

Allegedly, The whole idea of pi55ing about with it at the back is to draw the attackers in and use gaps created to pass it through the thirds, what we are supposed to do with said gaps I donā€™t know as we only have 1 midfielder, Varane, Madsen, Andersen all passengers, Colback either injured or on a yellow which is renders him useless.

As soon as I sat through those pre season friendlies and saw Nardi fannying about with the ball I knew we were in trouble.

We canā€™t press, we canā€™t defend, we canā€™t counter attack and we canā€™t score, we canā€™t even take a throw in without it ending up in our net.

I sit there every week and watch teams run at us, right through the middle, defenders back tracking, sheer panic in their eyes, opened up like a bottle of coke full of mentos and I think why canā€™t we run at the opposition like that? every forward pass immediately cancelled out by a backwards one, Morgan Fox had more touches than Madsen and he only played for 20 mins.

Yes we have Marti, yes we have some nice shiny new players, yes weā€™re now serving Estrella (warm, plastic, Ā£7) but weā€™re no better off and Iā€™m absolutely gutted about it.
[Post edited 6 Oct 20:23]

With Faith And Courage Comes Glory

What are we trying to do? on 20:39 - Oct 6 with 3051 viewsLogman

I thought I knew what we were trying to do but, as the O.P. says. its not so clear now. Furthermore, we seem to have started launching it a lot more, i.e. Cook to Frey, which is not the answer. I think Marti wants us to copy the Spanish model, but some of the players are not ready for that and one or two never will be. Its a very very important two weeks coming up for the club.
What are we trying to do? on 20:54 - Oct 6 with 2943 viewsBakes

What are we trying to do? on 20:39 - Oct 6 by Logman

I thought I knew what we were trying to do but, as the O.P. says. its not so clear now. Furthermore, we seem to have started launching it a lot more, i.e. Cook to Frey, which is not the answer. I think Marti wants us to copy the Spanish model, but some of the players are not ready for that and one or two never will be. Its a very very important two weeks coming up for the club.

I really hope they have a good chat and a complete re think because plan A and Plan A2 ainā€™t working.

With Faith And Courage Comes Glory

What are we trying to do? on 21:02 - Oct 6 with 2909 viewsRsinWales

Just picking up on a few points raised, I agree that Marti is not stupid.

The concern I have is that we have positioned ourselves as a club with an identity and approach from the youngest age groups through to the first team. It makes me wonder is Marti even allowed to go back to the pragmatism of last season?

I am also getting to the point where I am not convinced that playing it out from the back even constitutes a style or identity. Just about everyone in the top two divisions now does that. The bit I really don't get is 'then what..?'

I am sure the aim is not to move the ball slowly around in our half, allow the opposition to all file back into position, and then we keep moving the ball from side to side until we lose it or create a half-chance.

But that seems to be what we do. Still a bit baffled to be honest.
What are we trying to do? on 21:54 - Oct 6 with 2662 viewsPdog

As outlined in the recent fan forum and reflected by the overhaul of staff and players -including the appointment of the new Head of Methodology - the club appears to be building some kind of overarching blueprint for a specific style of play.

A mantra to establish a clear, consistent philosophy for all current and future academy / 1st team players and coaches to follow. While this sounds promising, and pre-season friendlies first showed (and exposed) this whilst still in its early stages, we're now 10 games in with minimal signs of progress.

Do they persevere or pivot? I'm assuming there is room to edit this so called 'QPR: Principles of Play' Power Point handout (unless of course its been laminated and signed in Nourry's blood).
[Post edited 6 Oct 21:57]
What are we trying to do? on 22:52 - Oct 6 with 2308 viewsBenny_the_Ball

The players look like they don't know, so I'll be damned if I can figure it out. Whatever it is, it's bringing more problems than solutions, and needs to change.
[Post edited 6 Oct 22:52]
What are we trying to do? on 23:11 - Oct 6 with 2273 viewsbosh67

Maybe the fight for survival mode is so engrained in the club after years of battling to stay up that when anyone tries to do something more progressive in terms of a playing style it doesn't work because the history books show years of backs to the wall survival? The last manager to try and play a cavalier style was Warburton, most of which was from the 'if they score 3 we'll score 4 school'. When Marti came in he made us much more solid, much more organised, gave players some freedom but told them that every game was a scrap for their lives. They survived so he has tried to take the handbrake off with a different mentality and all that's happened with the handbrake coming off it that they've ploughed into a wall. Perhaps we need to go back to the fight for our lives mentality that got us out of trouble last season and accept that it is actually how we have managed to win games and build the confidence needed to enjoy playing again?
[Post edited 6 Oct 23:12]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

What are we trying to do? on 09:11 - Oct 7 with 1960 viewsQPROslo

What are we trying to do? on 19:29 - Oct 6 by bosh67

Hope so!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024