Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hull Reflection 22:26 - Oct 1 with 17734 viewsbluenwhite10

A strange one tonight, started really brightly for the 1st 15-20mins and if their keeper didn’t make those 3 quality saves in that period who knows what would have happened.

Got hit by a sucker punch, then look very vulnerable for the rest of the half which lead to us going 2 down.

Pulled one back just before half time and like the 1st half the 1st 15-20 of the 2nd half Rangers played some good stuff, but Hull got a 3rd from Miller who by the way caused us trouble all night and looked quality and I would of had Santos off at half time and Ashby on as Santos was getting done every time.

I look at Rangers and I can’t see us scoring many goals and the gap between what Hull could do in the final 3rd v what we can do was massive .

A couple of other things the movement is poor at throw ins and also when Nardi has the ball as he seems to be playing at a different speed to the rest of the team and yet again could not fault home with any of the goals and he looks like a quality addition.

We are far to open to play against when the line up contains Frey, Saito, Anderson and Dembele in it is one to many attack minded players as it leaves Field too exposed as Madsen even though he is good on the ball gives no support, but having said that I don't think apart from Colback who could fit in there as Dixon-Bonner simply ain’t up to it. He might have his critics but we are really missing Colback at the moment.

Smyth very poor when he come on by either slowing down the play or crossing straight into the keepers hands.

My opinion on Celar is we have brought a player in that can’t play in the system we want to play and can only play off of another forward and I can’t see us playing that way with the amount of number 10 type players we have.

I also do think we are stronger than we were 12 months ago and we might need to be a bit patient with the amount of changes we have had with the players coming in.

MOM nobody stood out but even though he might be a bit lightweight Saito .

Up the R’s

Hull Reflection on 13:54 - Oct 2 with 2652 viewsRangers67

Hull Reflection on 10:07 - Oct 2 by GaryBannister86

Oh come on mate, you cannot seriously have watched Celar and think that he "shows a lot more awareness than Dykes". How? When?

Of course Dykes wasn't brilliant but he was a half-decent Championship striker. Now we have Frey, who apart from one brilliant performance against Luton has hardly torn it up and Celar, who despite us all desperately wanting to come good has so far shown the square root of sod all.

Selling Dykes for £1m in normal circumstances, decent business. My point is it has left us totally bereft up front.

We were totally bereft upfront when Dykes was here and it is a bit of a stretch to say he was a half decent championship striker, I think he has found his level now
Hull Reflection on 14:34 - Oct 2 with 2490 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Hull Reflection on 12:06 - Oct 2 by PhilmyRs

On Celar, I think people are being harsh, did some decent link up play when it came into feet, a decent bit of movement, but obvious rustiness made him do a weak left footed finish, but he looks lively to me and someone you can coach and improve.

The real problem, and not sure why people aren't focussing in on it as much, is the quality of service into him. If you have Celar up top, you should not be pinging 50 yard aerial balls to him to fight with 2 centre backs, Frey much more effective in that battle. We played some good stuff first half at times, then we seemed to revert (for a decent chunk of time in the second) to hopeful punts and I felt for Celar trying to deal with that. People judging him based on that type of service is unfair.

Totally agree on this. There is a majority of people on this thread who are digging Celar out based on substitute appearances. Some I seem to recall were saying the same about Frey 6 months ago, and now long for Dykes return!

The service from the three behind the striker was woeful yet again, we are not creating clearcut chances for our strikers. Celar clearly wants the ball at his feet, but we continually launch ariel bombs for him to try and compete. It's not working! Worryingly, when he made his first appearance he was making runs between the defenders, this seems to have stopped as the ball never came. He managed to get in between the centre backs once, and his header was off target as it was a little high.

Clue is in the name if you are a supporter.
Hull Reflection on 14:37 - Oct 2 with 2480 viewsAntti_Heinola

Hull Reflection on 14:34 - Oct 2 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Totally agree on this. There is a majority of people on this thread who are digging Celar out based on substitute appearances. Some I seem to recall were saying the same about Frey 6 months ago, and now long for Dykes return!

The service from the three behind the striker was woeful yet again, we are not creating clearcut chances for our strikers. Celar clearly wants the ball at his feet, but we continually launch ariel bombs for him to try and compete. It's not working! Worryingly, when he made his first appearance he was making runs between the defenders, this seems to have stopped as the ball never came. He managed to get in between the centre backs once, and his header was off target as it was a little high.

Clue is in the name if you are a supporter.

i will say he had two very good chances to feet, but for both the pass was just slightly off (one from Andersen, one from Lloyd). So chances are being created, just not quite laid on a plate.

Bare bones.

Hull Reflection on 14:55 - Oct 2 with 2400 viewsBlackAndGoldRanger

Whilst I agree that we shouldn't be punting it forward to Celar to win flick-ons, He also always plays the man rather than the ball. He doesn't look for the ball, just looks straight at the defender, mis timing his jumps or giving away a freekick.
Once he gets a goal I can see him coming good, the sooner the better.
So many pointless crosses to no one last night.
The pass to Jude was a personal highlight however.
Hull Reflection on 15:18 - Oct 2 with 2313 viewsAndybrat

Hull Reflection on 11:56 - Oct 2 by Antti_Heinola

Agree with a lot of that, but Madsen won the ball three times in the first 15 minutes, one with an excellent sliding tackle.
Your point stands though.

Am on hols so watched on a screen and you know Madsen played ok, he did cover some ground, looked to play forward and got in some telling challenges. It’s interesting seeing it onscreen as opposed to in the stadium, does nothing for your fingernails. Would have brought Fox on as left sided CB in second half and put Jimmy at RB. The telly highlighted Santos struggles especially his passing. Presume Madsen now our second highest scorer ?
Hull Reflection on 15:18 - Oct 2 with 2306 viewsBklynRanger

Two things I've been noticing lately:

We seem too focused on what we're going to do once we get the ball back, how we're going to exploit the spaces that have now been created behind the opposition. I think that is partly dictating how and when players engage.

e.g. for the third, Santos did actually track his man, and make a block, but when it ricocheted across the edge of the box Madsen still hadn't come over to help out. He looked from the replay to be waiting to counter attack. You have to get the ball back first.

I think Marti has been able to get players in in positions he wanted, and is now possibly too focused on that side of things. What happened to that 6 seconds press stuff? It's there at times but not at others. I'm sure he'd have answers but it looks like that to my very amateur eyes.

The other one is until recently we were lamenting not having a player who can collect it in the middle and turn with the ball. We don't need to worry about that now because we don't have JCS to play those balls through the middle, and there's nobody to collect it anyway. Hopefully getting Colback and JCS back can improve that but it needs to be addressed without relying on a couple of players being fit (and Colback has days when he can, and days when he can't anyway).
Hull Reflection on 15:48 - Oct 2 with 2178 viewsR_from_afar

Hull Reflection on 08:22 - Oct 2 by Malintabuk

You can add into that mix a management team with less than a years experience in the championship
It is no coincidence that we are clamouring for the return of Chair, Fox, JCS and Colback, all experienced players in the Championship...
Yes we are constrained with who we can bring in, but all these signings were not freebies.... we paid money for Celar, etc....
The only optimistic hope is, that they may come good, but that really is not good management....
The summer window looks like a huge gamble, if by Christmas we are mid table pushing on, then it is a gamble that paid off.... but honestly I will be amazed if it does

Pedant alert: Re your first point, Xavi Calm was part of Pep Clotet's backroom team at St Andrew's in 2019/20.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Hull Reflection on 16:02 - Oct 2 with 2134 viewsThe_Beast1976

Hull Reflection on 23:05 - Oct 1 by numptydumpty

Dunne at centre back is an accident waiting to happen and Cook with Dunne by his side is hesitant.

Santos is a more forward player but is frightened and the fans didn't help him. I think Cifuentes kept him on because he doesn't want to destroy his confidence but he wasn't great.

Paal also was very poor today. The back four were easily breached and going behind seems to have consequences on our players just freezing for ten minutes after each concession

We have yet to have a cleam sheet this season

Saito I thought was our biggest threat but it seems so difficult for us to find any centre forwards that ever score goals.

We put our money down for both Austin and Gray and although both did sod all else, they still scored goals. Not enjoyable to watch but you felt opportunities, they could at least score a few.

Wish our data analysts could find such a player with our budgets but been incapable in recent seasons

Am extremely surprised at how poor we have been so far this season. Never have felt like am seeing a winning team

Two excellent periods of play at start of both half's but why can't we score during the periods we are well on top. Frustrating.

And Hull basically thought ok - they keep missing - let's just go up there and put the ball in the back of the net, which they did with ease.

Nardi does save a few shots - has he been at fault - not sure but currently this team is frightened.

No one tries a forward ball or movement.

Could not understand why at every single corner kick they had, we had eleven behind the ball and when we losing also.

Why not leave Dembele or Saito up there. They both lightweight so not likely be that effective in defence but a quick punt up the middle and the chase is on and at the very least it would keep another of their players from not being in our penalty area. Could not understand that all game.

Its been a surprisingly bad start to the season. Was expecting much more. This team for me seems one totally reliant on confidence but when the chips are down we seem to be scared and don't look a threat after conceding

I think we are too good for bottom three but currently we look like a lower to just outside relegation team which I was not expecting to see

I felt like others this season we.could easily be comfortable mid table but how long has our home form been so dreadful...

Lots of prayers required !@!

Do they work ?????

Yes Dunne was a terrible CB before he was transitioned to a decent RB. He needs to go back to RB as soon as possible
Login to get fewer ads

Hull Reflection on 16:21 - Oct 2 with 2049 viewsParkRoyalR

Hull Reflection on 16:02 - Oct 2 by The_Beast1976

Yes Dunne was a terrible CB before he was transitioned to a decent RB. He needs to go back to RB as soon as possible

Absolutely terrible, and we have stats to prove it, phew, now we know it's just him, we can fix it and rocket up the table.
Hull Reflection on 21:26 - Oct 2 with 1706 viewsbaz_qpr

A few points on reflection.

Dunne is currently I would say 5th choice centre back. I think if he could he would play Fox ahead of him at LCB and Morrison ahead at RCB.

One thing we have really missed with Chair being out on the left is his energy and defensive work neither Saito or Dembele on the right provide anything like the cover and that has hurt us. Smyth can but was really off when he came on.

Our biggest issue last year was transition through the middle 3rd that is what he has tried to address and what Madsen has been brought in to do, but it is at the expense of defensive solidness. I dont think Colback / Varane. / Field combo solve that problem as we saw at Blackburn

Last night was the first time we pressed high well all season but that carries risk

Miller is the best winger in the league in my view could really have done with an old fashioned reducer tackle on him early doors and the team is very green it does not have the smarts.

Agree with Clive on the corners especially (and whilst I get its been working for us with everyone back) leaving Dembele or Saito up
Hull Reflection on 22:49 - Oct 2 with 1538 viewsLoft1979

Interesting opinions all. To my point I look back on last year when Marti played a few players in games they should not have been in. Lately, I think we have universally questioned his stubbornness with Anderson. For me, I think Walsh deserves a shot. I was sure he would get a run last night. The other whiner is that Field was so good as a CB he should get another look in at the job. The Defensive unit with Dunne at RB, JCS, Cook and Paal is clearly far better than any other combo we have seen.
Hull Reflection on 03:18 - Oct 3 with 1381 viewsMatch82

Hull Reflection on 23:47 - Oct 1 by Hunterhoop

I’ll put it here again.

9 tackles made all game to Hull’s 18.

Madsen did not make challenge all game (no tackles or fouls).
Andersen made one challenge (a foul) and gifted them their second goal.
Our starting front 5 made one tackle all game (Saito)
Our subs made 1 tackle all game (Smyth)
Field made 2, Paal 2, Dunne 1, Cook 1, Santos 1. The back 4 at least made some clearances.

We have too many “ballers” and not enough footballers in the team. Footballers who know how to play out of possession. It’s no good being a baller if you don’t have possession and can’t win it back.

This imbalance coupled with the shape and system meant we were so easy to play against. Hull didn’t even have to work that hard to create chances.

Perhaps it's just me but does 27 total tackles in the game seem obscenely low? Or is that just modern football?
Hull Reflection on 11:35 - Oct 3 with 1075 viewskensalriser

Hull Reflection on 03:18 - Oct 3 by Match82

Perhaps it's just me but does 27 total tackles in the game seem obscenely low? Or is that just modern football?

Yes, they’re clearly being coached to stand off and allow the opponent to make the pass, cross or shot as that seems to be preferable to being turned.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Hull Reflection on 12:20 - Oct 3 with 1007 viewsNed_Kennedys

Hull Reflection on 22:49 - Oct 2 by Loft1979

Interesting opinions all. To my point I look back on last year when Marti played a few players in games they should not have been in. Lately, I think we have universally questioned his stubbornness with Anderson. For me, I think Walsh deserves a shot. I was sure he would get a run last night. The other whiner is that Field was so good as a CB he should get another look in at the job. The Defensive unit with Dunne at RB, JCS, Cook and Paal is clearly far better than any other combo we have seen.

Replacing Nardi with Walsh and taking Field out of our already weak midfield would both be backward steps and not solve the problems that exist in this team.
Hull Reflection on 13:04 - Oct 3 with 935 viewsLazyFan

Santos was exposed as not being strong enough in the tackle and standing too far off his man.
This allowed Millar Lite to run amok and with his skill (more than pace) he was able to create attack after attack. Santos was so weak in the tackle that this is how Millar scored his goal and killed the game off.

Paal was okay as he fended off their best player for most of the match, which is why Millar looked so good.

Dunne would have body slammed him a few times and that would have driven Millar back. Ashby would have done the same. I suspect we shall see Ashby start at RB next. Or Marti puts Fox in at CB and Dunne returns to RB. Santos cannot play RB in the Champ. Saito has improved at LW so, maybe Santos can improve at RM if we need him to come on. But at RB he's not good enough.

Madsen and Andersen cannot play in the same team. They do not get up and down the pitch quickly enough. So, on breakaways, Field is on his own. If Field should get caught forward, there is no cover, and the defence is on its own.

I would start EDB for Madsen, as even though he's not as defensive, at least he can get up and down the pitch. And then Field is just told to stay back as we leak too many goals now. We need that constant coverage.

zzzzzzzzzz

Hull Reflection on 16:09 - Oct 11 with 432 viewsLoft1979

To keep the dialog going;
Marti already used Field as a CB to great effect. I too think EDB could be unlocked as a forward moving CM supported by Varane/Colback. He is short on confidence and more pitch time might help.
Hull Reflection on 16:15 - Oct 11 with 401 viewsTheChef

Hull Reflection on 16:09 - Oct 11 by Loft1979

To keep the dialog going;
Marti already used Field as a CB to great effect. I too think EDB could be unlocked as a forward moving CM supported by Varane/Colback. He is short on confidence and more pitch time might help.

Field can do OK at CB but you only put him there if there's no one else available.

I'd love EDB to get more game time, he could be that more progressive DCM alongside Field. But I don't think he's quite physical enough for the role and it seems the manager thinks the same.

Just have to hope Varane gets on and improves soon since we can't expect Colback to stay fit and free of suspension.

Of course JCS is a huge miss at the back too and it's just our luck we've had these injuries through the spine of the team at the same time.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024