Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Over-rated books 20:41 - Aug 20 with 10054 viewsLogman

OK, so we've done under-rated books, over and under-rated players, films and food. That just leaves over-rated books.

Not the most exciting of threads (not expecting more than one page) but if it saves me 3 months of tedium trying to unravel a storyline in 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez then it will make my daily commute a lot less painstaking.

Another nominee for the trash can, The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho. The first few chapters promise a magical mystery tour but then it just seems to turn into the equivalent of a journey on the Central Line, with engineering works.

Any other literary works to be given the Satanic Verses Treatment ?
Over-rated books on 08:30 - Aug 21 with 1681 viewsSK_hoops

Over-rated books on 07:45 - Aug 21 by WokingR

Catch 22
Just found it depressingly hard going

Came to post. Got about 100 pages in and gave up. Also, I read reviews saying it was really funny, but didn't raise a smile once.
Over-rated books on 08:32 - Aug 21 with 1675 viewsnumptydumpty

Anything by Stephen King.

He is a brilliantly descriptive writer, and a master of suspense, but all his books are the same and also horrifically graphic and macabre !!

As a messed up teenager, used to be obsessed with reading them, picked one up off a market stall recently, after decades of not partaking, and crikey are they dark !!

A serial killer's favourite author perhaps !!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Over-rated books on 08:51 - Aug 21 with 1601 viewsMaggsinho

100 Years of Solitude was my first thought when I saw this post. I tried to persevere with it but gave up when I realised it was taking me a day to read each page
Over-rated books on 08:55 - Aug 21 with 1594 viewsqprxtc

Over-rated books on 07:45 - Aug 21 by WokingR

Catch 22
Just found it depressingly hard going

Nah nah nah nah nah nah

Nah.

I value your onion Woking. But let me steer you away from that cul de sac you are heading down and lead you to the road that will rise with you.

Wonderful book is Catch 22 which I have read a good few times. As I mentioned to Daniel Paddoocks last week it, along with The Dice Man, is the best fiction book I’ve read.

Of course you could be right Woking, sir.

But you ain’t.
Over-rated books on 09:01 - Aug 21 with 1567 viewsjoe90

1984 - Orwell's fiction is massively overrated and unoriginal. His reportage writing Wigan Pier/Homage to Catalonia/Down and Out are so much better.

Anything by JG Ballard - He has brilliant and relevant ideas, and is also fascinating to listen to, but as a writer of fiction he is not great.

I also support Clive James view that 'magical realism' is trash, so that chalks off a few 'greats' for me.
Over-rated books on 09:11 - Aug 21 with 1522 viewsCiderwithRsie

Over-rated books on 06:09 - Aug 21 by dsw2509

I couldn’t finish The Hobbit. Got about 300 pages in and realised I couldn’t care less about any of the characters. Don’t start me on Lord of the Rings either (I quite liked the films though).

I disagree with the earlier poster who dissed War and Peace. One of my all time favourites. When I first read it I sat up to 3 am every night for a week. I’d then wake up the following morning with the book lying on the floor next to the bed and would have to go back 50 pages to where I remembered getting to.

Well, I'm another War and Peace fan, but I do see Mr Sheen's point a bit about the aristocrat characters.

But there's also real insight into human beings IMO. And Tolstoy actually was a top-notch aristo who also fought in the Crimea - a war that technologically (especially on the Russian side) was pretty much identical to the Napoleonic Wars, so I think he's pretty accurate on what he shows in both the war and peace sections.

Whereas funnily enough I struggle with Dostoevsky. I don't think he's overrated at all, he's one of the Great, but almost everyone is a shit, or crazy or both - it actually feels less like real life to me than a lot of Tolstoy's bored or depressed aristos.
Over-rated books on 09:13 - Aug 21 with 1507 viewsjoe90

Over-rated books on 22:20 - Aug 20 by Lanhoop

Everything and anything written by James Joyce. Sorry, I tried them all and they were all a battle to complete.

I can understand finding Ulysses and Finnegans Wake unreadable, but Dubliners IMO is exemplary writing.
[Post edited 21 Aug 9:33]
Over-rated books on 09:24 - Aug 21 with 1464 viewshubble

My god, this thread is a philistine's paradise!

I thought 100 Years of Solitude was wonderful. Mind you, I think Love in A Time of Cholera is far superior.

"And I'll add anything by Dickens" - good grief, Brian, you think anything by Dickens is overrated?! I think I'll have to lie down for a minute. Of course his books are hugely popular, and rightly so. And I'll grant you that some of his books are extremely hard going: Bleak House, for example. But as fictional biographies go, Great Expectations and David Copperfield and simply superb. And some of the greatest characters in fiction come from Dickens' pen; the Artful Dodger, Uriah Heep, Miss Havisham, Ebenezer Scrooge.....

The same applies to pretty much every other classic mentioned above: Catcher in the Rye? Genius. Catch 22 - brilliant. Thomas Hardy, miserable, Gus???? Is that the best you can say of him? Goodness me. I'll give you one example that is certainly not miserable, and that's Far From the Madding Crowd. An utterly gorgeous novel. Mind you, even the 'miserable' ones are brilliant, especially Tess.

I also enjoyed The Alchemist - perhaps its subtlety was lost on those of you who didn't get it.

But anyway, if that's what you all think, that's what you think.

I've read a several books with gushing reviews that I thought were terribly overrated, but they're not necessarily well-known. I did try reading Harry Potter, but it wasn't for me. The only author I've never been able to finish is Will Self. Has anyone else tried to read The Book of Dave? Blimey. The same with Umbrella.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Login to get fewer ads

Over-rated books on 09:27 - Aug 21 with 1449 viewsMrSheen

Over-rated books on 09:11 - Aug 21 by CiderwithRsie

Well, I'm another War and Peace fan, but I do see Mr Sheen's point a bit about the aristocrat characters.

But there's also real insight into human beings IMO. And Tolstoy actually was a top-notch aristo who also fought in the Crimea - a war that technologically (especially on the Russian side) was pretty much identical to the Napoleonic Wars, so I think he's pretty accurate on what he shows in both the war and peace sections.

Whereas funnily enough I struggle with Dostoevsky. I don't think he's overrated at all, he's one of the Great, but almost everyone is a shit, or crazy or both - it actually feels less like real life to me than a lot of Tolstoy's bored or depressed aristos.

Fair enough on the War sections - the battle scenes are outstanding, as are action scenes like hunting. If only one of the millions of shots fired at Borodino didn't account for Pierre, couldn't bear him.

I love the darkness and doubt in Dostoyevsky, even if I don't always understand it, and that everyone is entitled to their share of it, rather than just people who can speak French.

Love James Joyce too, though my Irish background and Catholic/classical education helped a lot. I am going to get Ulysses out soon for another read. Not Finnegan's Wake though, that's like the bottle of over-proof raki you bought for a laugh but you never dare get out of the cupboard.
Over-rated books on 09:36 - Aug 21 with 1393 viewsCiderwithRsie

Over-rated books on 09:27 - Aug 21 by MrSheen

Fair enough on the War sections - the battle scenes are outstanding, as are action scenes like hunting. If only one of the millions of shots fired at Borodino didn't account for Pierre, couldn't bear him.

I love the darkness and doubt in Dostoyevsky, even if I don't always understand it, and that everyone is entitled to their share of it, rather than just people who can speak French.

Love James Joyce too, though my Irish background and Catholic/classical education helped a lot. I am going to get Ulysses out soon for another read. Not Finnegan's Wake though, that's like the bottle of over-proof raki you bought for a laugh but you never dare get out of the cupboard.

The guy in W & P who got up my nose was Prince Andrei - "I'm rich, young, talented, good-looking with a pretty wife, I can choose whatever I want, my life is so empty."

I had to get old and disillusioned myself a bit to cope with him.

I do feel that if you read all those C19th Russian Greats (and the early C20th ones) together you can see why the place is so f*cked up as a society and everyone hits the vodka.
Over-rated books on 09:42 - Aug 21 with 1381 viewsCiderwithRsie

I also agree the best bits of W&P are the big set pieces - the battles, the wolf-hunt, Natasha's first ball - I suppose it depends on how much those carry you along.

I first read it at 17 and I felt it was good at capturing how the younger characters felt about the onset of adult life, and how it doesn't always pan out how you hoped.

The transformation of Nikolai throughout the book from bright-eyed kid to crusty old retired army officer I think is entirely believable, and the fact that he's not always the brightest tool in the bag made me identify with him more
[Post edited 21 Aug 9:45]
Over-rated books on 09:45 - Aug 21 with 1359 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Over-rated books on 09:24 - Aug 21 by hubble

My god, this thread is a philistine's paradise!

I thought 100 Years of Solitude was wonderful. Mind you, I think Love in A Time of Cholera is far superior.

"And I'll add anything by Dickens" - good grief, Brian, you think anything by Dickens is overrated?! I think I'll have to lie down for a minute. Of course his books are hugely popular, and rightly so. And I'll grant you that some of his books are extremely hard going: Bleak House, for example. But as fictional biographies go, Great Expectations and David Copperfield and simply superb. And some of the greatest characters in fiction come from Dickens' pen; the Artful Dodger, Uriah Heep, Miss Havisham, Ebenezer Scrooge.....

The same applies to pretty much every other classic mentioned above: Catcher in the Rye? Genius. Catch 22 - brilliant. Thomas Hardy, miserable, Gus???? Is that the best you can say of him? Goodness me. I'll give you one example that is certainly not miserable, and that's Far From the Madding Crowd. An utterly gorgeous novel. Mind you, even the 'miserable' ones are brilliant, especially Tess.

I also enjoyed The Alchemist - perhaps its subtlety was lost on those of you who didn't get it.

But anyway, if that's what you all think, that's what you think.

I've read a several books with gushing reviews that I thought were terribly overrated, but they're not necessarily well-known. I did try reading Harry Potter, but it wasn't for me. The only author I've never been able to finish is Will Self. Has anyone else tried to read The Book of Dave? Blimey. The same with Umbrella.

I should clarify a bit, Hubble.

I haven't read everything by Dickens. I read a lot of his stuff, though, when I was a teenager. And studied some of it. I enjoyed them, but I couldn't ever see why he was elevated to the pantheon.

It's all a matter of personal taste, though. Steinbeck and O'Connor are my favourite authors. Many would find them entry-level.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Over-rated books on 09:51 - Aug 21 with 1339 viewsjoe90

Over-rated books on 09:45 - Aug 21 by BrianMcCarthy

I haven't read everything by Dickens. I read a lot of his stuff, though, when I was a teenager. And studied some of it. I enjoyed them, but I couldn't ever see why he was elevated to the pantheon.

It's all a matter of personal taste, though. Steinbeck and O'Connor are my favourite authors. Many would find them entry-level.

Steinbeck is an excellent writer and fully deserves his acclaim. He didn't win a Nobel prize for nothing!

I do think it's interesting that you say some would find it 'entry-level' because that's where the quality of the work is . It's clear, accessible writing. That takes immense skill and shouldn't be overlooked. He's a natural story teller and a great writer, as opposed to a writer with ideas, if that makes sense.
[Post edited 21 Aug 9:52]
Over-rated books on 09:57 - Aug 21 with 1288 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Over-rated books on 09:51 - Aug 21 by joe90

Steinbeck is an excellent writer and fully deserves his acclaim. He didn't win a Nobel prize for nothing!

I do think it's interesting that you say some would find it 'entry-level' because that's where the quality of the work is . It's clear, accessible writing. That takes immense skill and shouldn't be overlooked. He's a natural story teller and a great writer, as opposed to a writer with ideas, if that makes sense.
[Post edited 21 Aug 9:52]

"He's a natural story teller and a great writer, as opposed to a writer with ideas, if that makes sense."

I think you've nailed it there, Joe. Nothing revolutionary, no new philosophies, just a truly great wordsmith.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Over-rated books on 10:01 - Aug 21 with 1288 viewsdutch

Over-rated books on 21:02 - Aug 20 by BrianMcCarthy

Agree with every single one of those.

And I'll add anything by Dickens. Alan and Charles, both.

Dickens, noooo. Try Great Expectations and tell me it isn't the greatest tale ever told.
Over-rated books on 10:14 - Aug 21 with 1241 viewsrobith

Over-rated books on 09:45 - Aug 21 by BrianMcCarthy

I can take of leave most Dickens but A Tale of Two Cities is amazing
Over-rated books on 10:18 - Aug 21 with 1190 viewsMrSheen

I was disappointed when I read Hemingway for the first time - A Farewell to Arms - given his reputation and influence. It might rest on his leading the reaction against 19th century wordiness, but it left me with the same feeling I had going through those terrible Magic Key books with my kids..."Biff sat down. Chip went inside, Kipper looked at the key". Isn't reading supposed to be more stimulating than this?
Over-rated books on 10:20 - Aug 21 with 1184 views1MoreBrightonR

Studied catch 22 at A-Level and it completely split the class between those who loved and it those who hated it. I actually just reread it 25 years later and still love it. Both funny and so sad at times.
Over-rated books on 10:21 - Aug 21 with 1171 viewshantssi

Over-rated books on 08:32 - Aug 21 by numptydumpty

Anything by Stephen King.

He is a brilliantly descriptive writer, and a master of suspense, but all his books are the same and also horrifically graphic and macabre !!

As a messed up teenager, used to be obsessed with reading them, picked one up off a market stall recently, after decades of not partaking, and crikey are they dark !!

A serial killer's favourite author perhaps !!

OMG, my wife and son LOVE Stephen King!
Should I be worried?!
Over-rated books on 10:23 - Aug 21 with 1152 viewsDannyPaddox

Over-rated books on 10:14 - Aug 21 by robith

I can take of leave most Dickens but A Tale of Two Cities is amazing

I’m mostly an admirer of Dickens literature but the first line of A Tale of Two Cities. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, Come on mate, make your fkkn mind up.
Over-rated books on 10:30 - Aug 21 with 1115 viewsMrSheen

Over-rated books on 10:23 - Aug 21 by DannyPaddox

I’m mostly an admirer of Dickens literature but the first line of A Tale of Two Cities. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, Come on mate, make your fkkn mind up.

England under Southgate.

Unpopular opinion...Sven Hassel, not as good as Leo Kessler
[Post edited 21 Aug 10:33]
Over-rated books on 10:33 - Aug 21 with 1069 viewsDannyPaddox

Over-rated books on 10:30 - Aug 21 by MrSheen

England under Southgate.

Unpopular opinion...Sven Hassel, not as good as Leo Kessler
[Post edited 21 Aug 10:33]

Gareth Ditherwhimble as Charles D. might have called him.
Over-rated books on 10:39 - Aug 21 with 1046 viewsCiderwithRsie

Over-rated books on 10:18 - Aug 21 by MrSheen

I was disappointed when I read Hemingway for the first time - A Farewell to Arms - given his reputation and influence. It might rest on his leading the reaction against 19th century wordiness, but it left me with the same feeling I had going through those terrible Magic Key books with my kids..."Biff sat down. Chip went inside, Kipper looked at the key". Isn't reading supposed to be more stimulating than this?

I think you're right on the contrast with previous writers. It must have been hugely striking when first encountered, it's certainly original

I quite like it as a distinctive style in it's own right, but it wears off fairly quickly.

Was also mildly shocked to find that he was the bloke who came up with "did the earth move for your?" but I suppose that a male writer noticing the female orgasm was also probably ground-breaking stuff at the time.
Over-rated books on 10:50 - Aug 21 with 1037 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Over-rated books on 10:23 - Aug 21 by DannyPaddox

My favourite opening line although I have never read the book.

I absolutely love Great Expectations and Oliver Twist but struggles and gave up with Hard Times.

What should be my next Dickens based on that fact anyone?
Over-rated books on 10:58 - Aug 21 with 1024 viewsMrSheen

Over-rated books on 10:50 - Aug 21 by CroydonCaptJack

My favourite opening line although I have never read the book.

I absolutely love Great Expectations and Oliver Twist but struggles and gave up with Hard Times.

What should be my next Dickens based on that fact anyone?

Not Little Dorrit. Don't say you weren't warned. Terrible plot.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024