Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Open email - to Keith - if he can be arsed 19:09 - Jun 1 with 2924 viewsRicardo

I have to say before I start writing this that I am emotionally upset with the “to-ings” and “fro-ings” of the last week or so — and I stand by my previous comments that remain for people to see on this message board.

This may appear bitter (or sour grapes from recent posts on this board). But its really not.

I want people — from Rochdale, Barnsley and the general football public to understand the points I am trying to make as this, to my mind, is about rights, wrongs, and fair play.

I’d like to think Mr(s) Keith Hill and David Flitcroft would take this point of view on board — regardless of whether they (or anyone else) agrees with it or not. I’m certainly open to open debate and will willingly discuss any of the points I make. However, I’m pretty sure they won’t even consider any of this.

Where do I start?

Loyalty

I’ll start with loyalty. Not a great topic given recent events I agree. The facts are published that our (RAFC) football club gave Keith everything he asked for — and I believe everything he asked for covering season 2011/12. If this is not the case then Keith should say so. If it is true that an incumbent (and contracted) manager was given everything he asked for then where is his loyalty to the club paying his wages?

Keith committed (not contractually beyond next season I admit) to a 7-year plan to manage RAFC to punch above their weight. He was delivering on this — no question. This included significant (requested and granted) funds to build a backroom staff to help delivery this goal. This was all provided to Keith — I don’t know the basis of this but I presume this was at the total expense of RAFC and not at Keith’s personal expense.

Clearly those staff now appear loyal to Mr Hill rather than their employers and the public that have funded their livelihood. Disgraceful whichever way you look at it. Both in terms of our club allowing that to happen and, more disgracefully, those individuals taking that course of action. Bow your heads in shame. Keith should not be able to look at himself in the mirror.

Before people take a swipe at this point of view — it was RAFC providing some of those people before Keith came on board (e.g. Andy) and subsequently funded the taking on of the others per Keith’s desires. How is it right for him to take a proven team and call them Team Barnsley when we have invested in that creation?

Will RAFC get the opportunity to poach another proven team that others have invested in? We will wait and see.

I wonder how Barnsley fans and directors would react in similar “Keith Hill” world behaviour and, for example, Sheffield United taking their proven team lock stock and barrel? (Sorry Keith — didn’t mean to mention you wanted that big Sheffield job and had to go back cap in hard to your second choice “not right for me” club).

Honesty / Integrity

Well we all know where Keith stands on this. I personally believe he was honest — just that he chose his words extremely carefully. Don’t know if he was close to the Sheff Utd job — do suspect he was looking after his own interests whilst still employed (and being paid) by RAFC.

In terms of integrity — well that is a different story. To select your words so carefully (listen again to his interviews at end of last season) suggests clearly he was on his way if the opportunity arose. Given that state of mind and positioning he wasn’t being “truthful” to those that employed him.

Simply put — would any RAFC fan trust a word he said in the future?

Barnsley beware.

Commitment

Keith expects this from each and every one of his team — at all levels from juniors to the first 11.

Shame he can’t give the same to those that fund his ambition

Fans

It is fair to say that Keith didn’t enjoy the full backing from RAFC fans. As with all clubs — we have our perennial moaners who cannot ever be satisfied. As ever, many of them pay good money to deliberately have the seats to moan at the manager. (As an aside, one of my favourite exchanges was “why do you come every week” (from manager), immediate response (from fan) “to see you get sacked”). Unfortunately this was not Keith however (but manager did get sacked).

However, Keith did have the backing of the vast majority of the RAFC fans, as was evidenced time and again — all the more so at away games.

But none of that stopped him having a pop at the minority of our fans at every occasion that suited him — nationally as well as locally. In my view he could get away with that at RAFC — but suggests he has a lot to learn moving forwards. Nothing that can’t be sorted — but then to treat the loyal fans with his recent statements beggars believe.

In context, I, for one, want to always be remembered for “doing the right thing”. Some of my business people will agree that I’ve done that, others won’t. My proven record of repeat business would justify that. I’ve done well enough in terms of being trustworthy.

Don’t see how Keith can justify that he has done the right thing here and now — but I’ve seen he has recently said he has done nothing wrong over the last week. Ah well.

In this game it is all about reputation (from a fan’s perspective) — but with an ego of his magnitude that needs to be tamed.

Barnsley beware

Continuation

I think we all expected Keith to leave (with David) — and we are all annoyed /disappointed / angry/ whatever of the manner of his dissertation — but I don’t think any of us expected him to rip the heart out of the club he had helped build.
(Don’t know why but I am more disappointed with Keith than Dave).

I genuinely thought he would be please to leave the good ship RAFC sailing onwards — not holed below the bows and with a 999 call needed. If he had left us with a positive way forward, and with a clear continuation of the work moving forwards, this would have been (just about) palatable. Taking all and sundry with him, and leaving (I’m sure) the players in limbo, is simply unacceptable.

Clearly his work to date has been purely for Keith Hill and not Team Rochdale.

I hope his rewards are those that are justified.

Team Barnsley — take note.

(Gentlemen’s Agreements)

Chris — forget them — if they can’t be honoured both ways what is the point?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024