Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manning updates??? 18:38 - Sep 17 with 44971 viewsbosh67

Seems to have gone very quiet this week. Wondering if he'll be included in the squad tomorrow? Shame really, he's a great character and really good in this squad.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Manning updates??? on 11:41 - Oct 17 with 1913 viewsOakR

Manning updates??? on 10:56 - Oct 17 by qprd

Yep, agreed with everything

The precedent argument annoys me for so many reasons

1) how many managers have we had in the last 10 years? is MW even going to be around 2 transfer windows from now to even apply this precedent?

2) any precedent has to be consistently applied, and last time i checked, BOS is still not under contract. Separately, QPR are now in a tricky bind where every goal/assist he notches increases his value and therefore makes it harder for us to resign....

3) precedent works both ways too. I am not aware of any other club taking this position with any players in the final year of a contract .If youre a free agent choosing between QPR and another similarly situated club offering comparable wages, are you going to want to go to the team that honors your contract, or that expects you to have to re-sign a contract when you have one year left (or else will freeze you out)?

im willing to accept that manning is an average leftback with a load of defensive weaknesses, and that we may not be much worse without him... however, i dont think that 250k (if that is in fact the fee) is an acceptable amount for a player with his CV/age/stats/fitness record. clearly, this did not work

disappointed to see people write off a player who clearly tried for us and consistently put in a shift.... his debut was on the back of 6 consecutive losses against wolves, and he brought a spark to the team that helped salvage that season (good performances against wolves, reading and then fulham).... at the back end of the mclaren season, he came in as leftback against millwall, and helped us secure an invaluable point that also helped us stay up.... was frozen out behind scowen/lungo/freeman and worked hard to get back into the team... are we rly going to forget all this?

I suspect we will change our precendent on 1 year left on contracts, but the precendent I think we will set will be if we say we are going to do something players will know we will follow through with it. We will of course have players with 1 year left on contracts, or players we will sign for one year who will play, it will be the younger players who have value where we may stick more to this as it will be our financial model. I doubt this is a Warburton policy (though he will be involved) I suspect this is a Hoos Ferdinand part of our long-term business plan. They've done a great job so far addressing our spending, so whilst it won't work in sometimes you would hope over 5 years it will prove beneficial - time will tell I guess.

I remember him playing away at someone, can't remember who we were playing but Luongo was also playing and he looked really good in midfield and made a sublime outside of the foot pass to set up a goal - I think he has talent and had given us plenty. I don't think he is PL quality but will be a decent championshop level player.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Manning updates??? on 11:43 - Oct 17 with 1909 viewsgobbles

I don't remember Warburtin ever saying he wouldn't play Manning unless he re-signed. He said he wouldn't allow players to leave for nothing, BOS included. We can only really speculate why he didn't play them, although it is likely that he had refused a contract any any talks.
Manning updates??? on 11:46 - Oct 17 with 1863 viewsted_hendrix

I've forgotten about him already.

Next.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Manning updates??? on 11:53 - Oct 17 with 1831 viewsbosh67

His potential is definitely central midfield. He was asked to do a job at left back which he did to the best of his ability but he's not a left back. He'll be centre midfield or left wing at Swansea.

I think it is pretty unfair of people to slag him off and I am not blaming Warburton or the club for their stance. I can't find any evidence that Manning didn't want to play or make himself available unless I've missed something.

This was purely about his agent saying he'd been here long enough and he could get more. If we assume he was on let's say £8K a week then that is the best part of £400K+ a year so I guess the club may have thought that if they get his wages off their books and the £250K that they essentially are better off to the tune of about £650K and he cost us £65K so they may look at it as a 10x gain on investment. If there is a 20% sell on clause like Eze then if he does ever sell for £5m then we get another million.

However with only Manning leaving for a small sum that may be why we didn't see a centre back come in yesterday on loan? Masterson for me looks really good so for one I am happy that it looks like he is staying on. He'll get his chances no doubt.

As for Manning it is a great shame because I really liked him as a player, he seemed to have come on even out of position last season and I wish him well.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Manning updates??? on 11:59 - Oct 17 with 1766 views2Thomas2Bowles

Manning updates??? on 11:46 - Oct 17 by ted_hendrix

I've forgotten about him already.

Next.

Who

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Manning updates??? on 12:06 - Oct 17 with 1752 viewsQPR_John

I think we all agree that £250k is a steal for Manning. So the question is if the club were willing to accept that why did no other Championship side come in for him. Pure speculation of course but it seems the club were desperate to get rid rather than desperate for a fee.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2020 12:07]
Manning updates??? on 12:07 - Oct 17 with 1745 viewsfrancisbowles

Manning updates??? on 11:39 - Oct 17 by BrianMcCarthy

If £250k + add-ons is all we could get for him then that is disappointing, and there's no point us denying that. It's a pittance.

There's also little point us casting anyone who wants to leave on a Bosman as a villain. We can legitimately say we are disappointed and that we expected more, but leaving on a Bosman is fully within a player's rights just as much as releasing a player on a free transfer is within a club's rights. We can't condemn one action and support the other.

What we can say as fans is what each of us seen on the pitch. Our views on that are as valid and as open to discussion as anyone else's. And to my mind Manning was a decent player in attack because he didn't mind doing that. He deigned to do that part of his duty. He honoured us with his commitment to that part of his duty. But in defense he often, some might say regularly, decided not to mark up, not to track back, not to challenge, not to commit.

Not every ball that went over his head was his fault, many were due to his being played as an advanced full-back, or as a wing-back. But every ball that went over his head needed to be chased, had to be chased, should have been chased. Many weren't. We all saw the instances, the far, far too many instances when he just sauntered back having clearly made the decision that the danger behind him may or may not have been his fault but clearly was none of his concern.

And he wasn't the first footballer to fail to mark his man for a penalty. Three times. And try to blame his team-mates afterwards. Or to fall over injured with a regularity that went way beyond embarrassing a long, long, long time ago.

All of the above were within his control, all of them were within his physical capabilities, all of them were decisions he made. And he showed no signs of changing his mind on any of them. As an Irish supporter, I hope he does have a re-think as there's a very good player in there if he decides to commit fully as a professional. But as a QPR supporter I don't mind that he could have stayed but decided not to, I will only remember him as a player who could have given more but decided not to.

Many, many, times.

Great post Brian and hence only one club, seriously, interested and £250k.
Manning updates??? on 12:13 - Oct 17 with 1709 viewsMyke

Manning updates??? on 07:06 - Oct 17 by traininvain

Hung out to dry by Warburton?!

Do me a favour. Manning refused to sign a new contract and forced this move. That’s his prerogative so I’m not digging him out. But Warburton can’t be starting players who don’t want to be at the club.

One word (or three initials) BOS
Login to get fewer ads

Manning updates??? on 12:15 - Oct 17 with 1695 viewsQPR_John

Manning updates??? on 12:07 - Oct 17 by francisbowles

Great post Brian and hence only one club, seriously, interested and £250k.

Agree Brian and I think you have answered my question
Manning updates??? on 12:22 - Oct 17 with 1657 viewsrsonist

Manning's been here seven years. The final year we found a half-functional position for him once circumstance and necessity went in his favour (Bidwell's contract, Wallace's injury).

If you were a big fan of his you could say the way to have done it would have been for the club to prize his talent early, make the space for him to play consistently, sort the team to play to his strengths and mask his weaknesses, tie him down to long term contract. But Ollie didn't want to do it, McClaren didn't want do it, MW in my opinion wouldn't have done it if he didn't have to (at least not nearly as often), and now only one club has been interested enough to take him on a sideways move despite his availability for a pittance.
Manning updates??? on 12:31 - Oct 17 with 1604 viewsSK_hoops

Annoyingly low, but with our current attacking minded squad we don't need players who don't put in a shift when it comes to defending.
Manning updates??? on 12:32 - Oct 17 with 1604 viewsDejR_vu

Manning updates??? on 12:06 - Oct 17 by QPR_John

I think we all agree that £250k is a steal for Manning. So the question is if the club were willing to accept that why did no other Championship side come in for him. Pure speculation of course but it seems the club were desperate to get rid rather than desperate for a fee.

There’s clearly differing opinions on how good Manning is or could be. But, I think the acid test is what someone is prepared to pay for a player. He’s played 100 games at this level, he’s a good age, his stats last season were very good. Even with only a season left on his contract, if he was highly regarded in football circles there would have been a queue around the block at £250k, surely? Or maybe, despite his stats, there’s a lot of other stuff about his game that isn’t that good. Time will tell I guess, but I would be quite pleased facing a Swansea team with Manning and Bidwell playing down the left.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Manning updates??? on 12:35 - Oct 17 with 1586 viewsfrancisbowles

Manning updates??? on 12:22 - Oct 17 by rsonist

Manning's been here seven years. The final year we found a half-functional position for him once circumstance and necessity went in his favour (Bidwell's contract, Wallace's injury).

If you were a big fan of his you could say the way to have done it would have been for the club to prize his talent early, make the space for him to play consistently, sort the team to play to his strengths and mask his weaknesses, tie him down to long term contract. But Ollie didn't want to do it, McClaren didn't want do it, MW in my opinion wouldn't have done it if he didn't have to (at least not nearly as often), and now only one club has been interested enough to take him on a sideways move despite his availability for a pittance.

It's five and a half years. Signed Jan 2015 for, reportedly, £61k.

Interesting to note his loan to Rotherham started well but tailed off. Only made the starting line up in 13 out of 26 and was subbed off 5 times.

Played well for us on occasions but lacked consistency albeit we did mess him about.

I think Swansea will play him further forward as Bidwell seems to be doing ok at the moment.
Manning updates??? on 13:57 - Oct 17 with 1375 viewsNorthernr

Swansea’s Wolves starlet Morgan Gibbs White out for 3 months with a broken foot.
Manning updates??? on 14:00 - Oct 17 with 1356 viewsDixie_CT

Not saying anything new but technically competent and adaptable enough so kind of got away playing at left back but his defending was woeful. That said, I would rather he was in the team than Wallace, especially with Dykes and Bonne looking for service.

Loved his goal against Preston and his comeback from almost release. Wish him well in his career and £250k is £250k, pays for half a season of Bonne. £5m?? Not a chance!

I wonder if him and Lumley’s friendship and joint fall from favour has played a part in how this has played out? Looks a bit petulant and stubborn from the outside but who knows what has going on. Lee, Les and Warbs not going to suffer fools gladly and heels could have been dug in.
Manning updates??? on 14:08 - Oct 17 with 1322 viewsPinnerPaul

Manning updates??? on 12:06 - Oct 17 by QPR_John

We all agree that £250K would be a steal and that the other reported figure of £5M is equally ludicrous, what we don't know is what the actual fee was!

30,000 + views for a thread about a left back - blimey!
Manning updates??? on 14:18 - Oct 17 with 1290 viewsOldPedro

If £250k + add-ons is all we could get for him then that is disappointing, and there's no point us denying that. It's a pittance.

There's also little point us casting anyone who wants to leave on a Bosman as a villain. We can legitimately say we are disappointed and that we expected more, but leaving on a Bosman is fully within a player's rights just as much as releasing a player on a free transfer is within a club's rights. We can't condemn one action and support the other.

What we can say as fans is what each of us seen on the pitch. Our views on that are as valid and as open to discussion as anyone else's. And to my mind Manning was a decent player in attack because he didn't mind doing that. He deigned to do that part of his duty. He honoured us with his commitment to that part of his duty. But in defense he often, some might say regularly, decided not to mark up, not to track back, not to challenge, not to commit.

Not every ball that went over his head was his fault, many were due to his being played as an advanced full-back, or as a wing-back. But every ball that went over his head needed to be chased, had to be chased, should have been chased. Many weren't. We all saw the instances, the far, far too many instances when he just sauntered back having clearly made the decision that the danger behind him may or may not have been his fault but clearly was none of his concern.

And he wasn't the first footballer to fail to mark his man for a penalty. Three times. And try to blame his team-mates afterwards. Or to fall over injured with a regularity that went way beyond embarrassing a long, long, long time ago.

All of the above were within his control, all of them were within his physical capabilities, all of them were decisions he made. And he showed no signs of changing his mind on any of them. As an Irish supporter, I hope he does have a re-think as there's a very good player in there if he decides to commit fully as a professional. But as a QPR supporter I don't mind that he could have stayed but decided not to, I will only remember him as a player who could have given more but decided not to.

Many, many, times.

Totally agree Brian

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Manning updates??? on 14:22 - Oct 17 with 1268 viewsderbyhoop

Manning updates??? on 10:23 - Oct 17 by Dorse

WLS reporting fee is 'an initial £250,000'.

May be one of those deals where if he plays 369.4 minutes over a six month period, when Mars is in the house of Capricorn, then a further fee of his weight divided by his height (in miles) shall become payable in Lower Slobovian groats at the exchange rate set by Jimmy the Greek from the snug of the Dog & Handgun.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/football-wls-ryan-manning-swansea-done

That's not so far from the clauses that get written into player's contracts that might trigger add-ons.

My take was somewhat less flamboyant as in
We'd get another payment when he dismounts at Aintree after riding Lord Lucan's horse to victory in the Grand National and gets a helicopter to Putney so he can cox the winning crew in the Boat Race.

Sometimes it's more straightforward, e.g. Sterling's sell on fee when going from Liverpool to Man City

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one's lifetime." (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop and now on Bluesky

Manning updates??? on 14:26 - Oct 17 with 1256 viewsrsonist

Manning updates??? on 13:57 - Oct 17 by Northernr

Swansea’s Wolves starlet Morgan Gibbs White out for 3 months with a broken foot.

Good news for Kasey Palmer!
Manning updates??? on 14:44 - Oct 17 with 1208 viewsNorthernr

Manning updates??? on 14:26 - Oct 17 by rsonist

Good news for Kasey Palmer!

Do you know I’d forgotten he’d gone there. Him and Izzy Brown in a race to become the first player to have 50 separate loan spells.
Manning updates??? on 14:46 - Oct 17 with 1198 viewsconnell10

Well i for one thought he was a great little player and i hope he does well at Swansea.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Manning updates??? on 14:48 - Oct 17 with 1195 viewsGloucs_R

Big sell on clause apparently. Sean Gallagher

Poll: Are we staying up?

Manning updates??? on 14:57 - Oct 17 with 1172 viewsEmpireStateRanger

This sort of reminds me of how we got Luke Freeman from Bristol City. Player clearly is looking elsewhere, won't re-sign, so a club comes in gets a quality player at a bargain.

Manning's skillset has been dissected so I won't add anything there, but I really wish 1) we got more than 250k and 2) we had better options at LB.
Manning updates??? on 14:58 - Oct 17 with 1168 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Many, many, times.

Couldn’t agree more Brian
Manning updates??? on 16:56 - Oct 17 with 1059 viewsParkRoyalR

Many, many, times.

Not directed at your goodself, I suppose we different things in players, but I always though Manning gave 100% commitment and that his weakness was what Roy Keane said about Ashley Young, you just can't move someone back into defence and expect them to have that defensive gene / mindset, because that moment of hesitation and reacting when its too late marks out those who can't anticipate and defend and those who can

With regards left fullbacks sauntering back, he was well schooled if he watched Bidwell leisurely stroll back into position as teams broke ahead of him both home and away for 3 seasons - yet I still can't recall anyone directing this same criticism at him, despite his negligible attacking threat, his exhorbitant wage and refusal to be drawn wide to closedown crosses for fear of being embarrassed.

Never a team player, never a grafter, shifted 70 goals a year, but always according to some a solid 7 out of 10!

I wish Ryan well and just feel its so Rangers to bring in Dykes, maybe play 2 upfront and lose our best crosser of the ball for peanuts. Gutted.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024