Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blackpool matchday 10:10 - Aug 24 with 12289 viewssmaclad1

It's a beautiful sunny day, barely a cloud in the sky (at least it is in SMAC-land, possibly grey and drizzly in Rochdale?) and we have a second big game at home in less than a week.

Another performance like Tuesday's will fit the bill perfectly, and while Blackpool confidence should be high with their early season results there is no reason to think that we could reasonably expect to take something from this game.
Blackpool matchday on 17:44 - Aug 24 with 3818 viewsD_Alien

You can see why Blackpool have had a great start to the season, and probably expected all 3 points today so i look at it as Dale being the most challenging side they've faced so far

We had our passing rhythm disrupted but fought like trojans in the heat and it paid off, with that bit of luck right at the death; i honestly thought the ball was heading into the corner till it hit the upright

Wonder what we'll have in reserve for Tuesday? Players like Hendo, Camps (who ran his bollocks off) and Mathieson deserve a break

Tight game, fabulous sunshine and a decent crowd; shite ref. The yellow for O'Connell (who was excellent again with McNulty) was an absolute travesty; he simply won the ball

Said it on Tuesday, but we'll have many less demanding games this season but the standard in L1 imo has gone up a shade

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Blackpool matchday on 17:45 - Aug 24 with 3816 viewsSaxonDale

First game of the season for me.

Really impressed with the style that BBM has implemented upon the team. We won’t win every game, but when it goes right it’s easy on the eye. Every player seems happy on the ball and it certainly helps us defensively. When Hilly took over he lifted us as a club right to the forefront (certainly for L2 level) of modern football, we tried things that most premier league clubs hadn’t even tried- at the moment it seems we’re back to being right at the front again. Obviously there’s tweaks to be made and I can see us being a much better team in December than we are now but I have complete faith in the coaching staff to achieve that. Unfortunately I can’t help but think this system signals the end for Calvin, he’s been a loyal servant to us but just doesn’t suit the style we play- swapping him for a Donal McDermott-style player would make us a much better outfit.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2019 17:49]
Blackpool matchday on 17:56 - Aug 24 with 3710 viewsdingdangblue

Blackpool were a decent side so it's a point gained for me. Any coincidence that our midfield/forward play wasn't as good today and we didn't keep the ball as good as previous games and Morley not playing?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Blackpool matchday on 18:01 - Aug 24 with 3665 viewsNigeriamark

Blackpool matchday on 17:56 - Aug 24 by dingdangblue

Blackpool were a decent side so it's a point gained for me. Any coincidence that our midfield/forward play wasn't as good today and we didn't keep the ball as good as previous games and Morley not playing?

Rathbone was quiet today and Ryan doesn't look match fit. That with the loss of Morley would have had some impact. I am a bit concerned up front as I think we are a striker short and I could see us having a spell where the goals really dry up. As I said last week I think we are 1 midfielder and 1 forward short of being a really good team & hope we can get at least 1 more loan if not 2.

The defence which was my biggest issue before the season started has really been a bonus for us and midfield overall probably the same. Far more positives than negatives this season but being greedy I want another forward
Blackpool matchday on 18:02 - Aug 24 with 3646 viewsFalingeParka

Blackpool matchday on 17:31 - Aug 24 by FalingeParka

A decent point earned surely. Hopefully won't be having to count them like jewels in May. I think we can now settle down with the BBM management. He's made some fantastic changes.

One thing though, I will never understand how Calvin A gets a game. What now, six years with the club?

Point being, I thought BBM would address this, like other knotty problems he's sorted out. But no.

It's well documented Calvin is a lovely fella, (apart from trying to decapitate the Oldham bloke in the worst foul in history), but what is the bloke doing on a pitch? The guy is somehow magnetically averse to hitting the target.

ColonelHall

Blackpool matchday on 18:08 - Aug 24 with 3592 viewsD_Alien

Calvin put in a shift as usual when he came on

We weren't creating much but he provides extra defensive capability when we're up against it (they brought on a 6ft 6 lad towards the end who could've caused trouble) and when required he held the ball up which just wasn't happening

No idea why people should get on his back today; we know what we get with him and it's worth hanging onto. No idea when Wilbaham will appear but at the minute he's not looking worth his extra year

Blackpool matchday on 18:16 - Aug 24 with 3540 viewsFalingeParka

Blackpool matchday on 18:08 - Aug 24 by D_Alien

Calvin put in a shift as usual when he came on

We weren't creating much but he provides extra defensive capability when we're up against it (they brought on a 6ft 6 lad towards the end who could've caused trouble) and when required he held the ball up which just wasn't happening

No idea why people should get on his back today; we know what we get with him and it's worth hanging onto. No idea when Wilbaham will appear but at the minute he's not looking worth his extra year

Anyone can 'put in a shift' as you say, run, effort, take up your positions, talk a game. And for years get away with it. Not a footballer though is he? That thing with the feet.

ColonelHall

Blackpool matchday on 18:18 - Aug 24 with 3527 viewsD_Alien

Blackpool matchday on 18:16 - Aug 24 by FalingeParka

Anyone can 'put in a shift' as you say, run, effort, take up your positions, talk a game. And for years get away with it. Not a footballer though is he? That thing with the feet.

Being valued by both KH and BBM tells me all i need to know, but of course you'll know better won't you

Edit: but really, it's too warm and too nice out to be concerned with your views on Calvin, i'm outta here

[Post edited 24 Aug 2019 18:19]

Login to get fewer ads

Blackpool matchday on 18:24 - Aug 24 with 3482 viewsFalingeParka

Blackpool matchday on 18:18 - Aug 24 by D_Alien

Being valued by both KH and BBM tells me all i need to know, but of course you'll know better won't you

Edit: but really, it's too warm and too nice out to be concerned with your views on Calvin, i'm outta here

Ha! No-one can know better than you. You are Great Sage - Equal of Heaven.

I'm just saying, and nothing to do with today, CA is an athlete and not a baller. Reason for the post is that everyone knows this, and I, in my foolishness, thought BBM might not use him in this catch all mode. He ain't fish nor fowl.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2019 18:35]

ColonelHall

Blackpool matchday on 18:33 - Aug 24 with 3432 viewsFalingeParka

Blackpool matchday on 18:18 - Aug 24 by D_Alien

It's gorgeous out there. Enjoy.

ColonelHall

Blackpool matchday on 18:34 - Aug 24 with 3429 viewsYadHoDale

Blackpool matchday on 16:35 - Aug 24 by The_Knightowl

Nyal Bell scores for Stockport

And Danny Whitehall score for Maidenhead.
Blackpool matchday on 18:39 - Aug 24 with 3405 viewsdawlishdale

In the end I'm happy with a point, against a very decent Blackpool team who obviously did their homework and stopped us playing through midfield.

Can;t agree with the person who said Jim had a great game...I thought he looked uncomfortable having to pass out of defence, and put both our keeper and other players under pressure several times with misplaced passes. Imho, he is much better suited to being a no nonsense old fashioned defender .

Sanchez probably just about shaded MOM above O'Connell, but both of them were very good today.

I dunno but think BBM got it wrong in bringing Ryan in for his first full game in over a year on such a hot day against well organised opponents who didn't allow any space. He struggled to get too involved, but this was to be expected, and BBM agreed at half time.

I'd have kept faith with Morley, who has been excellent so far, but with the option of playing Ryan for half the game if needed.

Rathbone and Camps were also not their usual busy selves, but Blackpool pressed them well.

Hendo looked isolated up front, and whilst Pyke added pace, it was hard to see what Calvin did to improve things.

As others have said, we are playing much more as a team than at any stage last season under Hilly, but in a perfect world, I'd have one more striker brought in, probably at the expense of one of our keepers and Gillam, who should be looking to get a loan deal.
Blackpool matchday on 18:43 - Aug 24 with 3372 viewsFalingeParka

Blackpool matchday on 18:39 - Aug 24 by dawlishdale

In the end I'm happy with a point, against a very decent Blackpool team who obviously did their homework and stopped us playing through midfield.

Can;t agree with the person who said Jim had a great game...I thought he looked uncomfortable having to pass out of defence, and put both our keeper and other players under pressure several times with misplaced passes. Imho, he is much better suited to being a no nonsense old fashioned defender .

Sanchez probably just about shaded MOM above O'Connell, but both of them were very good today.

I dunno but think BBM got it wrong in bringing Ryan in for his first full game in over a year on such a hot day against well organised opponents who didn't allow any space. He struggled to get too involved, but this was to be expected, and BBM agreed at half time.

I'd have kept faith with Morley, who has been excellent so far, but with the option of playing Ryan for half the game if needed.

Rathbone and Camps were also not their usual busy selves, but Blackpool pressed them well.

Hendo looked isolated up front, and whilst Pyke added pace, it was hard to see what Calvin did to improve things.

As others have said, we are playing much more as a team than at any stage last season under Hilly, but in a perfect world, I'd have one more striker brought in, probably at the expense of one of our keepers and Gillam, who should be looking to get a loan deal.

Great post. The whole shebang is looking good for a great campaign. Just a striker, though we know they are so hard to find. Tavares?

ColonelHall

Blackpool matchday on 20:35 - Aug 24 with 2993 viewssoulboy

If you were in the main stand today and you were one of the imbeciles who were having a go at Luke Matheson in the first half for passing the ball backwards, you disgust me. For Gods sake the lads 16 and doesn't need that kind of negativity. If all you can do is slag him off, please stay away, he doesn't need that kind of crap from so called Dale fans.
Blackpool matchday on 20:57 - Aug 24 with 2905 viewstodmordendale

I felt that the introduction of Ryan in midfield disrupted the flow in the middle of the park.
Williams was left unsure of where to be being pushed out of space, Rathbone was forced out wide on the right and somewhat ineffectual, Dooley running around again with no guidance and Camps trying to cover for them all.
Good player as Ryan seems, I feel that Morley, albeit very young, has added a calmness which has allowed the movement for each other in all the previous games.
Defence was solid and O’Connor is looking an exceptional attribute.
A goo point gained today against a very well organised team. Not two points lost.
Blackpool matchday on 21:10 - Aug 24 with 2838 viewsboromat

Blackpool matchday on 20:57 - Aug 24 by todmordendale

I felt that the introduction of Ryan in midfield disrupted the flow in the middle of the park.
Williams was left unsure of where to be being pushed out of space, Rathbone was forced out wide on the right and somewhat ineffectual, Dooley running around again with no guidance and Camps trying to cover for them all.
Good player as Ryan seems, I feel that Morley, albeit very young, has added a calmness which has allowed the movement for each other in all the previous games.
Defence was solid and O’Connor is looking an exceptional attribute.
A goo point gained today against a very well organised team. Not two points lost.

I wasn't there today but I think Morley brings another midfielder that's capable of dropping into that central defender role as well as MJ. Ryan on the other hand plays deep but is definitely not a central defender and has to be much better technically as a consequence. He can't afford to lose the ball.

The squad has always excited me over the last few years, I've always thought we were capable of more than we've delivered and specifically the defensive additions are now showing that potential to be true.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Blackpool matchday on 22:44 - Aug 24 with 2600 viewsjacko_dale

Blackpool matchday on 20:35 - Aug 24 by soulboy

If you were in the main stand today and you were one of the imbeciles who were having a go at Luke Matheson in the first half for passing the ball backwards, you disgust me. For Gods sake the lads 16 and doesn't need that kind of negativity. If all you can do is slag him off, please stay away, he doesn't need that kind of crap from so called Dale fans.

The same applies to the 'gerrit forward' clowns in the Pearl Street end. The mind boggles at times.
Blackpool matchday on 08:12 - Aug 25 with 2231 viewsscarrow

Whenever Henderson ends up in midfield I know we are going to struggle. It should never happen. Under KH it meant we were toothless up front and that happened again today. Saying that the teams cancelled each other out in reality a game of few chances.

Poll: Final position

Blackpool matchday on 09:39 - Aug 25 with 2043 viewsnordenblue

Blackpool matchday on 08:12 - Aug 25 by scarrow

Whenever Henderson ends up in midfield I know we are going to struggle. It should never happen. Under KH it meant we were toothless up front and that happened again today. Saying that the teams cancelled each other out in reality a game of few chances.

It happened all second half yesterday and he went in the space of 2 mins from striker to left wing then right back, chasing shadows and by the time the ball actually broke forward he was our furthest man from their goal, very strange.

He seems to go looking deeper and deeper for the ball when his options up front are limited and in turn make us even more toothless up front.

Don't get Andrew stuck out wide either and not hitting him with long balls to flick on against a full back half his height,
Blackpool matchday on 09:43 - Aug 25 with 2030 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Blackpool matchday on 18:24 - Aug 24 by FalingeParka

Ha! No-one can know better than you. You are Great Sage - Equal of Heaven.

I'm just saying, and nothing to do with today, CA is an athlete and not a baller. Reason for the post is that everyone knows this, and I, in my foolishness, thought BBM might not use him in this catch all mode. He ain't fish nor fowl.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2019 18:35]

The fact that the first thing that springs to people’s minds when talking of Calvin is his defensive qualities, or his ability to put in shifts, goes to the heart of the problem. It masks the fact that he doesn’t do, or do on anything like a required basis, what he should be doing, that is, as a forward he should create and/or score goals. Despite the numerous headers he wins, he does neither.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2019 9:44]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Blackpool matchday on 09:48 - Aug 25 with 2008 viewsDickydaler

Blackpool matchday on 22:44 - Aug 24 by jacko_dale

The same applies to the 'gerrit forward' clowns in the Pearl Street end. The mind boggles at times.

We've got those in the Sandy too!
Blackpool matchday on 12:04 - Aug 25 with 1785 viewsJames1980

Blackpool matchday on 09:48 - Aug 25 by Dickydaler

We've got those in the Sandy too!

My eyes rolled on more than one occasion at some comments.
Well earned point imo against a team who I said before the season started could be dark horses/good shout for an each way bet.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Blackpool matchday on 12:57 - Aug 25 with 1683 viewsnordenblue

Blackpool matchday on 12:04 - Aug 25 by James1980

My eyes rolled on more than one occasion at some comments.
Well earned point imo against a team who I said before the season started could be dark horses/good shout for an each way bet.

The best one was saved for our MOM keeper who when receiving a blast of a back pass from our own defender sliced it out for a corner to Blackpool, "Get it sorted keeper"

The same keeper who's brought a recently unknown calmness to a backline, a willingness to come and catch nearly every single cross is a joy to watch, the one he took off their lads head near the Sandy was a staggeringly good catch. Keep up the great work and superb distribution
Blackpool matchday on 13:52 - Aug 25 with 1572 viewsfirgrovedale51

Strange but I agree with that
Blackpool matchday on 14:12 - Aug 25 with 1541 viewsmacro

Blackpool matchday on 09:43 - Aug 25 by BigDaveMyCock

The fact that the first thing that springs to people’s minds when talking of Calvin is his defensive qualities, or his ability to put in shifts, goes to the heart of the problem. It masks the fact that he doesn’t do, or do on anything like a required basis, what he should be doing, that is, as a forward he should create and/or score goals. Despite the numerous headers he wins, he does neither.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2019 9:44]

I felt on Tuesday that if it had been Wilbraham behind the header it would have stood a greater chance of hitting the net. Unfortunately for all his attributes he can be ineffective as a forward especially when chasing a goal
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024